Start by marking “Eating with the Enemy: How I Waged Peace with North Korea from My BBQ Shack in Hackensack” as Want to Read:

There was only one chair in the room. Fluorescent tubes on the ceiling hummed with blue light. The woman smiled and explained in a soothing voice that there were some “procedures” they had to go through.

“We’re just going to put you under for a few minutes,” she said. One of the officials told me to turn around..

“Do I have a choice?” I lowered my pants, exposing most of my
Published April 27th 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published April 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Eating with the Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating with the Enemy

Donna
I absolutely loved this book. It was a fun little read. I was afraid it would be a little too serious regarding the politics, but it wasn't. It was fun. I would have given this 4 stars, but the humor was such I couldn't suppress my laughter, so 5 stars it is and also because I would read this again.

I did the audio on this and loved the telling of the story. It felt honest, which is always appreciated and it didn't feel like Bob Egan, the author, had secret motives and an axe to grind. It was HI
Samantha
Apr 27, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
This story is equal parts hilarious and heartbreaking. My next stop to the NYC area will include a trip to Robert Egan's BBQ restaurant. What a character. While this is a fun read, one cannot forget that the North Korean regime is starving to death millions of its own innocent citizens. Egan doesn't ignore this fact, but he does not spend much time on it either.
Showpony
Jul 05, 2010 Showpony rated it it was amazing
"Eating with the Enemy" offers the most unlikely confluence of mafia wisdom, class warfare, BBQ recipes and a stinging critique of our diplomatic policies. It's a fast-paced and thoroughly enjoyable read. Perfect summer reading!
David
Dec 14, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
At first I found the overbearing arrogance and swagger of the author irritating, but he grew on me as his philosophy became clear: Governments and their agendas get in the way of common, ordinary people who would otherwise have the power, and desire, to bridge cultural gaps...even between the US and North Korea. I wouldn't be surprised if the author exaggerated a few things, as self-promotion appears to be his stock in trade, but if even half of it is true, he went to extraordinary lengths, ...more
Wendy
Apr 12, 2013 Wendy rated it really liked it
This was a very engaging memoir written by a NJ restaurant owner and his efforts to develop a dialogue and friendship with UN personnel from the DPRK. On the one-hand, he comes across as a very NJ-esque type of guy (picture Tony Soprano) and I found myself trying to figure out how much of what he was telling me was the real story, or his spin on it (and a heavy emphasis on the role he actually played in events). On the other hand, I do think he made some really interesting observations and I ...more
Ed
Dec 05, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
Robert Egan's 'Eating With The Enemy' reads like-actually, it IS-a international intrigue story. I couldn't put it down. I haven't decided how much of it I believe yet. His sources are hard to verify: the North Korean government and the FBI. At least it didn't turn into a gangland tell-all. You'll see the potential for that if you read the book.
Mar 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
While the book spans decades of U.S. relations with North Korea, the unifying theme is the friendship between the author and Han. The writing is colorful, perhaps exaggerated, but the two main characters are compelling.
Grumpus
Aug 05, 2013 Grumpus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, north-korea
Love this book. Somewhat average citizen and his relationship with N. Korean diplomats. Serious, unbelievable and funny. Because of isolationism, the relationship is almost like that of meeting an alien race. Like a soap opera, never know what will happen next.
Samantha
May 12, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Definitely an interesting read as it humanizes North Korean diplomats, but I'm also kind of left with the feeling of 'what in the hell?'
Jenn Ollivier
Dec 01, 2010 Jenn Ollivier rated it really liked it
Not a bad book. Sometimes it almost reads like fiction. I could see this being made into a movie... I would've liked to have seen some of the many pictures that are referenced hanging on the wall in the restaurant.
Scott
Aug 13, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
Some fascinating stories interspersed with moderate political moralizing and underwhelming back story.
Sep 02, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
All I can say is that it was a fantastic book unlike everything I've read before. Fiction about North Korea is rare; witty fiction about North Korea is even rarer.
Lesley-Ann
Mar 26, 2013 Lesley-Ann rated it really liked it
Quick read. Very different perspective on the U.S.- North Korea relationship. Some insights into the North Korean point of view.
Sylph
Sylph rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Anthony Scrivanich
Anthony Scrivanich rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2015
Phyllis A
Phyllis A rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2016
Colleen
May 23, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it
Very funny, quirky story (but true?) of one man's personal efforts at diplomacy with North Korea
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Amy Larson
Amy Larson rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2013
Jonathan Douglas
Jonathan Douglas rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Amy Dluzak
Amy Dluzak rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Rob Tanner
Rob Tanner rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Paden
Paden rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2013
  • The Real North Korea: Life and Politics in the Failed Stalinist Utopia
  • Escape from North Korea: The Untold Story of Asia's Underground Railroad
  • Long Road Home: Testimony of a North Korean Camp Survivor
  • The Tears of My Soul: The True Story of a North Korean Spy
  • The Reluctant Communist: My Desertion, Court-Martial, and Forty-Year Imprisonment in North Korea
  • Inside North Korea
  • Brother One Cell: An American Coming of Age in South Korea's Prisons
  • The Cleanest Race: How North Koreans See Themselves and Why It Matters
  • This is Paradise!
  • The Impossible State: North Korea, Past and Future
  • Brothers at War: The Unending Conflict in Korea
  • Escaping North Korea: Defiance and Hope in the World's Most Repressive Country
  • Korea's Place in the Sun: A Modern History
  • Comrades and Strangers: Behind the Closed Doors of North Korea
  • Act of War: Lyndon Johnson, North Korea, and the Capture of the Spy Ship Pueblo