Start by marking “What He Must Be” as Want to Read:
What He Must Be

What He Must Be

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  809 ratings  ·  62 reviews

All parents want their daughters to marry godly young men.
But which qualities, specifically, should they be looking
for?

What will you say when that certain young man sits down in your
living room, sweaty-palmed and tongue-tied, and asks your
permission to marry your daughter? What criteria should he meet
before the two of them join together for life? What He Must Be
. . . If He

Published April 8th 2009 by Crossway Books & Bibles (first published January 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What He Must Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What He Must Be

Shaun
Ask Voddie Baucham how to best prepare for leadership and ministry and he may tell you to get married and have children. You may be wondering what that has to do with helping your daughter choose a suitor. The answer is that it has everything to do with helping your daughter choose a suitor. This book is directed at Christian parents, especially fathers. As followers of Christ it is the father’s duty to lead and minister in his own home first. If you aren’t sure what this looks like, you may wan ...more
Patricia
This book deserves all five stars. Very thought-provoking, convicting, and challenging; definitely raises the bar to where it should be. I appreciate how Voddie Baucham explains everything so clearly and concisely. He bases everything on the Bible, without forcing anything or stretching anything. Then again, he doesn't need to because it's all the plain and simple truth. This was very helpful for getting the right focus and direction. I will definitely be reading this again.
Chase Steely
Good book for Christian fathers, for guys who want to be fathers, for women who want a godly husband, and teens to see what they should strive to be and look for in a spouse.
Michael Boling
Let’s be honest. The modern model of relationships is broken. Divorce is rampant, so-called couples live together and have children outside of wedlock, and our youth run from one relationship to another leaving a trail of broken hearts. Is this God’s design for male/female sexuality and relationships? Is the modern dating model and the go your own way Fleetwood Mac approach something rooted in Scripture? Have we as parents been neglecting our God given responsibility to instruct our children and ...more
Simon Van den broek
Very good, with many challenges to young men and old men.
If you want to get married, are married or have daughters you should read it.
He must:
Love children,
Provide,
Protect,
Be a priest,
Be a prophet,
Lead like Christ
Chelsea Clark
Insightful and informative book about dating and relationships. I enjoyed it and, while the information wasn't entirely new, it brought up some things to carefully consider.
Jimmy
Among the many Christian books on family, courtship and fatherhood that I have read, I think this book has become one of my top five. While the book was intended to address fathers to encourage them to think biblically of what to look for in a man who wants to marry their daughter, nevertheless I think others can benefit from reading this book too such as single mothers evaluating those interested in their daughters, or the young man who want to become a godly husband in the future. A young woma ...more
Natalie Wickham
One of the things that has often been impressed upon my heart in studying the Bible is the importance of godly marriages. We see especially in the history of Israel how devastating the results were of their intermarriage with the pagan nations around them. Voddie Baucham is passionate about helping Christians understand the biblical principles pertaining to marriage. He says, “We must train a generation to follow hard after God in spit of what their forefathers have done…The marriages of our son ...more
Kristine
I can't reiterate enough that hearing Pastor Baucham speak in chapel as an undergraduate has been one of the biggest blessings in my life. This book was no exception as he examined both the short- and long-term ramifications of choosing (or transforming into) a suitable husband. I encourage other girls and women to read this for themselves and consider not only finding a man who meets these standards but also how they themselves can become someone whom such a man will find desirous. With divorce ...more
Heather
Are you prepared for that day when a young man sweeps your daughter off her feet? What will you say when faced with the question of giving your daughter’s hand in marriage? What does he need to be . . .if he wants to marry your daughter?

Honestly, as a mommy, I’d rather not think (at all) about the day that any of my four children will approach a conversation on marriage. I’d like to stick my head in the sand and pretend that day is a million years from now.

If you’re honest you’ll agree to feeli
Bob Hayton
In What He Must Be ...If He Wants to Marry My Daughter Voddie Baucham Jr. does Christian dads a favor. He challenges them with a biblical vision of Christian courtship; and he cushions his challenge with a clear cut, easy to read, guide for how to think and plan about their daughter's future marriage.

Baucham realizes his message is as controversial as it is straightforward. Our culture prejudices us to an overly romantic idea regarding marriage. While parents feel freedom to guide and support th
Peter B.
Considered more objectively, this is a clear and foundational book on the topic (the topic being the intersection of manhood, courtship, and marriage). From my experience, though, there weren't many new insights (though there were some) since I have heard many of these points before. Also, not all of it was directly applicable to me, as it is primarily written for fathers, though I still learned from reading those parts. It was still worth reading and helpful.

"Every governor of a family ought to
Jason
In What He Must Be, Voddie Baucham gives us a Biblical model for what our sons must be to fulfill their roles as husbands and fathers, and what our daughters must expect in a future husband. This book is primarily written for fathers. It challenges current dating and parenting models as unbiblical. It calls us to reevaluate how we train our children. For if we care at all about the lives our children lead as adults and about our grandchildren and great-greatchildren, we must care deeply about th ...more
Kim
First off, my reviews are NOT in-depth. Rather they are quick jots of my opinion on the book.

Regarding this book: I was rather surprised. I expected a list of what he must be. I walked away with something rather different. If you want a list see "So You Want to Marry My Daughter?". Although I do not agree with the underlying premise of that book (that it is okay to date before engagement). You'll find the way VB describes in this book the reason why our family is strongly opposed to dating.

Back
Alyssa
You know those books that just make you want topick up the closest Bible and dig in with a newfound joy? Well, this was one of them. This book has been on my "to-read" list for a while now, and so when I spotted it on the shelves of the Creation Museum's gift shop, I was eager to pick it up and start reading.

I was greatly encouraged by this book to seek a godly man if/when I near a time when I am seriously considering marriage. Reading it has helped me identify concrete things I should be lookin
Andrew Felts
A great introduction to courtship and the Biblical principles of being a father, after the model of the roles of Prophet, Priest, and King, which Voddie Baucham divides into the 4 P's: protector, Provider,Prophet, and Priest. This book refutes the false conception of dating and gives a biblical model for courtship rather than recreational dating.
Aurelie
One of the most sexist, degrading and simply insulting book I have ever written. Wouldn't even recommend this to men or women who desire an insight in Christians and religious men and women who live in the dark ages, or even just for a good laugh, this was a waste of time and only served to make me feel sick.
Skipper Boatwright
This book is excellent on familial patriarchy. I gave this book only three stars due to its unnecessary "humor" and different points. I realize that Baucham is more than likely attempting to appeal to a wider audience and make the book more accessible at different points, but I didn't read the book for laughs. The result, then, was me simply skimming over large portions of the book to find the real meat. It was just annoying. That aside, the real "meat" was priceless. I am no father yet, but I f ...more
Michelle
So far, so good. As usual, Voddie Baucham lays it out. With children that will eventually marry this is helpful in understanding the critical issues before you begin a courtship. Marrying for love alone often result in divorce. Ideally before a couple falls in love they have both determined that the other is a godly person, and this books clarifies what traits you will be looking for.

This is a great resource for fathers who have never seen the courtship process and what it entails. It is also a
Tialla Rising
I absolutely loved this book. The topics discussed are extremely applicable in many ways. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the book covered many areas of spiritual life for all believers—fathers, mothers, young men, young women, etc—not just for "what a potential suitor must be." This book definitely helped me grow in my own walk with the Lord, and focus/refine my own personal convictions and beliefs regarding dating, courtship, and marriage.

I cannot recommend this book enough. I will def
Stewart Peterson
Probably should be a must read for any father raising a daughter(s). Very practical & godly advise from a man who obviously loves his daughter & his Lord.
Jash Comstock
An amazing book! Not just for dads, but also for young men who want an example of godly manhood. Also, a very convicting read.
Adam Gray
All fathers...change that...all men need to read this book. Whether married with the hopes of the blessing of a daughter in the near future or not married and looking for that godly woman, you need to understand the biblical role of the husband as well as the responsibility of the father. Too many fathers today have forsaken this and simply hand their daughters off to whomever seeks their hand first with no knowledge of the qualifications a potential husband should possess. Get this, read it, th ...more
Katie
Wow, this took a while to finish! But when you're only reading it over break...yeah, it takes a while! :-P

But that didn't take away from how great this book is. In my opinion, this is a must for any young Christian man who has marriage in mind. And young lady--what better what to be on the lookout for a suitable husband then with these truths to back you up. When it comes to marriage, there are some things that a young man simply MUST have.

"The four P's", as Baucham calls it, are something I wi
Rachel
very interesting
Kimberly
What He Must Be: If He Wants to Marry My Daughter is an amazing book that everyone should read regardless of relationship status. Not only does this book encourage boys to become men and men to go stronger, but it also encourages ladies to help raise the standard for our brothers-in-Christ. I greatly appreciate how Mr. Baucham includes a clear outline of salvation and reminds the reader how, even though we are all different colors, we are from the same seed of Adam and all were fearfully and won ...more
Suzee Storz
I loved this book, it gives clear guidelines taken from scripture of what a man should strive for as a husband to be or as a current husband. After I read it I asked my Dad to read it, I wanted to make sure there were no scriptures taken out of context that I missed. I also hope this book has given him a good foundation of what I am looking for, so when my dad (who is a real softy) has a sit down with a perspective men he knows were to start during the initial interigation!
Scott
I think this book is supposed to be written to fathers who will someday give away their daughters in marriage, but it can also just as appropriately be titled "What You Must Be If You Want to Marry My Daughter". Written by a pastor and a father, I appreciate how this book focuses completely on how godly you are rather than the best way to date or even what to look for in a wife. All guys who desire a Christ-centered romantic relationship MUST read this book!
  • Her Hand in Marriage
  • So Much More
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • The Lost Art of True Beauty
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Home-Making
  • Preparing To Be a Help Meet
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • Law and Liberty
  • Not Even a Hint: Guarding Your Heart Against Lust
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: Respect and the Christian Woman
  • Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers (Today's Critical Concerns)
  • Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His
  • Let Me Be a Woman
522076
Voddie Baucham wears many hats. He is a husband, father, pastor, author, professor, conference speaker and church planter. He currently serves as Pastor of Preaching at Grace Family Baptist Church in Spring, TX. He has served as an adjunct professor at the College of Biblical Studies in Houston, TX, and Union University in Jackson, TN. He has also lectured at Southern Seminary.

Voddie makes the Bib
More about Voddie T. Baucham Jr....
Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes The Ever-Loving Truth: Can Faith Thrive in a Post-Christian Culture? Joseph and the Gospel of Many Colors: Reading an Old Story in a New Way The Centrality of the Home in Evangelism and Discipleship