Start by marking “A Day to Pick Your Own Cotton (Shenandoah Sisters #2)” as Want to Read:
A Day to Pick Your Own Cotton (Shenandoah Sisters #2)

A Day to Pick Your Own Cotton (Shenandoah Sisters #2)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,087 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Now learning to rely on each other's strengths, Mayme and Katie begin an attempt to offer sanctuary to others the war has orphaned or left destitute. Shenandoah Sisters book 2.
Published May 1st 2003 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Day to Pick Your Own Cotton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day to Pick Your Own Cotton

Karen & Gerard
A Day to Pick Your Own Cotton by Michael Phillips picks up right where Angels Watching Over Me left off and is just as good! This series is about two white girls and two black girls all working together to run a plantation by themselves during the post-Civil war days when racism in the south was rampant. Katie, the orphan of the plantation owners, has a warm heart and even though she is barely managing, takes in yet another young white girl to care for whose mother died and whose father is mean ...more
Robin
I am truly enjoying these books. Life at the end of the Civil War was very hard on the slaves. In this book, the two 15 year old girls are trying to keep people from knowing that their parents and brothers were killed and trying to make things look like every things fine. Mayme (the young slave girl) finds out that Lincoln released all the slaves and that she isn't OWNED by anyone anymore. She is so happy, she goes into a store and buys something for her self for the first time in her life
Ogz
It was as thrilling as the first, even more. So much suspense, you want to read more. The plot of this story of four girls from different backgrounds and ethnicity, now share a common lifestyle and story through the hardship of life. The most fascinating of these girls, is that they'll soon begin to share the power of one God. Already, they've begun seeing his mighty love around them especially Mayme and Katie. Their determination to keep the plantation is such an example everyone should follow. ...more
Marilyn
Katie (15) and Mayme (16) are forced to grow up quickly after being orphaned by the Civil War. Katie is the dauther of a white plantation owner, Mayme is the daughter of a slave. Katie's home, Rosewood, becomes their sanctuary, but they learn a different life trying to exist with no adults around. Emma shows up...also a black slave child who doesn't know who her parents are, and is heavy with child from the master's son. Aleta shows up...the 8 year old child of a woman who died when her horse fe ...more
Rebecca
Mayme Jukes and Katie Clairborne are two fifteen-year-old girls from worlds apart -- Mayme was born into slavery, while Katie was the daughter of a wealthy family that owned a large plantation. But in the final days of the Civil War, they both lost their families to marauders, and now they share an important secret. After Mayme, fleeing the scene of her family's murders, came across Katie, the only survivor at her plantation, Rosewood, the two girls decided to live there on their own and pretend ...more
Becky
Disclaimer: I did not read Book #1 in this series. I was able to deduct what had happened (key points, anyway) and it was easy to start right off in Book #2. The story between these two girls, and then four girls, is amazing. I read many passages, sometimes entire chapters, to my 8-year-old daughter. Very historical, although I don't know how accurate - it seems it would have been harder for 4 young girls to run an entire cotton plantation on their own than this book demonstrates. But it was a l ...more
Nancy
I read this book out of order, after reading book 1 and 3. I enjoyed learning how the girls did certain jobs around the plantation. There is a description of the way to make cheese, since they had more milk than they could use. There is a step by step account of how they did their laundry, which was interesting. The girls developed a love for God and of each other. I am enjoying this series. The hatred by white people,for colored people, after the war is also shown.
Linda B.D.
A review of all 4 books in this series. Wow! What a fantastic story. Quite different than any I've read so far. Set in the 1800's, during one of the most famous raids, children are left alone to fend for themselves. This shows exactly what it was like during these times. Clear characters & smoothly written. Each book just keeps on getting better. A huge thank you to the author for these great books.
Dianne Sagan
This is the second book in a historical fiction series that takes place at the end of the Civil War. It's well written and I enjoyed reading it. The developing relationships between the girls in drastically changing times is portrayed fairly realistically. I would recommend it.
Frances Chrisman
A wonderful story about friendship

This is a touching story about the suffering and sadness brought on by the racial war. It tells how blacks and whites can come together to help each other. I enjoyed it very much.
Linda
Another sweet continuation of The Shenandoah Sisters Series. Story line mostly far-fetched and a little hard to believe. The portrayal of blacks living in the south, after the civil war, is realistic and disturbing. Spiritual truths come in near the end of the book.
Anna V. Mendenhall
Great series

I couldn't put the second book in the series down. The characters are so interesting and the portrayal of the times chilling. If you like Christian fiction that isn't preachy you'll love this series.
Trudy E
In book two of this series, Mayme and Katie are putting their collective talents and experiences together to operate the plantation and provide shelter for others who are also on their own. As they are tried and tested their faith grows.
Anne Trinkle
Just as wonderful as the first in the series. I cannot say enough good things about this series. Why didn't they assign books like this for summer reading when I was a kid??!!!!
Joan Arning
Two white girls and two "darkie" girls learn to fend for themselves and keep anyone from learning that they are living alone on a plantation.
Peggy Gordon
A story about a rich white girl and a black slave girl during the civil war period. This was the 2nd book in the series.
Danielle Mccormack
This book continues the saga of Kathleen and Mayme, who are in an unusual predicament following the Civil War. I was once again rooting for the young women throughout the book.

One change in this second book of the series is that the faith of the girls develops. I like the characters very much.

My issues with the first book remain here. The dialogue feels unnatural when Phillips writes Mayme or other African American characters. He also includes every possible stereotype about the postbellum South
Debbie West
2 white girls and 2 black girls try and run a plantation while hiding the fact that there are no adults living on the plantation

Carol
The story of Katie and Mayme continues. They are faced with trials and hardships as they attempt to keep life on the plantation looking normal. No small feat for two teenage girls.

They manage to harvest enough cotton to keep from losing their home. All the while keeping the secret that is their fate. They are each the only survivor in their family. Both touched by mobs that raided and killed.

Their friendship grows and they understand that "It's the love in a person's heart that makes us differen
Sharyn
Now I just hope that I am able to locate the third book in this series!
Rebecca
Loved it as much as i loved the first one! Love Michael Phillips books.
Karen
I am so taken in by this story line and the characters.
Amy Gennaro
An interesting perspective on the civil war.
Judy Porter
Excellent series. Ended way too soon
Zavonna Lynn
Loving this series...
Tiffany Elgan
I enjoyed the first book enough to get this book as well. I'm actually curious to see how the series unfolds. This is a fairly simple story, set at the time of Abraham Lincoln and blacks being emancipated. There are some loopholes in the story, but sometimes it is okay to just read a story, and this is one of those stories for me.
Suzanne Page
Loved book 2 of this series.
Amanda Hendsbee
I couldn't put myself through this. I read the first 50 pages or so and was completely put off by the preachiness, as well as by the immense amount of dialect that made reading feel like a chore. Maybe there's a decent story here somewhere, but it's buried under a mountain of roadblocks that I just wasn't willing to deal with.
Helen
good second book cant wait till third
  • A Love Woven True (Lights of Lowell, #2)
  • A Light to My Path (Refiner's Fire, #3)
  • Toward the Sunrise (Daughters of Fortune #3)
  • The Face of Heaven (Snapshots in History #2)
  • Where Willows Grow (Heart of the Prairie #10)
  • Sophie's Dilemma (Daughters of Blessing, #2)
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
  • Jerusalem's Heart (The Zion Legacy, #3)
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

Michael Phillips has been writing in the Christian marketplace for 30 years. All told, he has written, co-written, and edited some 110 books. Phillips and his wife live in the U.S., and make their second home in Scotland.
More about Michael Phillips...

Shenandoah Sisters (4 books)
  • Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1)
  • The Color of Your Skin Ain't the Color of Your Heart (Shenandoah Sisters #3)
  • Together Is All We Need (Shenandoah Sisters #4)
Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1) The Crown and the Crucible (The Russians, #1) A House Divided (The Russians, #2) The Color of Your Skin Ain't the Color of Your Heart (Shenandoah Sisters #3) Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)