Start by marking “The Christ of the Covenants” as Want to Read:
The Christ of the Covenants

The Christ of the Covenants

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  50 reviews
The Christ of the Covenants successively treats the various covenants of the Old Testament from an exegetical and biblical-theological perspective. The richness of a covenantal approach to understanding the Bible is presented, along with interaction with other viewpoints.
Published May 1st 1981 by P & R Publishing (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Christ of the Covenants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christ of the Covenants

Bob Hayton
This book is not a covenantal theology manual, as some might suspect. The Christ of the Covenants, by O. Palmer Robertson, is a book about the many Scriptural covenants: the covenant with Noah, Abraham, and David, to name a few. Robertson departs from many covenant theologians in refusing to call the pre-Creation Divine determination to redeem fallen man an actual covenant, even as he argues for the basic correctness of the covenantal position on Israel and the church.

What this book does best is
Steve Hemmeke
A rare five stars! Biblical depth and balance on what a covenant is, and how God has dealt with His people with them. The first 60 pages looks at what a covenant is: a bond in blood sovereignly administered. The rest of the book looks at God's activity with Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and finally in Christ.

Some important points.

A covenant is a structured relationship. Some emphasize the structure, others the relationship, but both are essential.

All covenants with God are gracious. Those af
Peter B.
This book is the classic book on covenant theology done in the last hundred years. The idea of covenant pervades and structures Scripture and history. It is the way God relates to man, and thus forms a central importance in creation and redemption. Because of covenant theology we can see the consistency between redemption in the Old and New Testaments, instead of seeing God dealing with sinners in separate ways in history. We can also see the way the covenants build upon each other and richly cu ...more
Jason Lyle
What a great book! Before the class I am taking, which required this book for reading, I had never understood covenant theology. This book by Palmer Robertson has really brought things to light for me. Well written and easy to understand. A must for anyone wanting to go further into reformed theology.
Tony Huy
Great book on a difficult subject.

Like Stott and Packer and Piper, I found O.Palmer somehow threaded in devotional "feels" to the content while staying biblical and technical. I love books like that. I am both learning in my mind and stirred in my heart.

Now onto a good book on dispensationalism because this book challenged a lot of my understanding.
Craig Scott
Overall a very good guide to Covenant Theology. I enjoyed this book as it deals with Covenant Theology and with the cultural understanding of ancient Near Eastern treaties. This is not a look into historic and federal CT but post-John Murray/Meredith G. Kline CT. The argument for understanding the Davidic Covenant (2 Sam. 7; Psalm 89) within the continual administration of the Covenant of Grace and the unity of the covenants is very helpful. Robertson's definition of a covenant 'a bond in blood ...more
Jeff M.
The concept of covenant is one of the central concepts of scripture. The book "Christ of the Covenants" is an examination of the different covenants of the Bible. As the author moves through history, he examines each of the covenants in detail without losing sight of the over-arching theme of redemption. I found the book to be very balanced. No prior assent to any theological system is required, because this book stays anchored to the Biblical texts. However, those looking for a defense of the W ...more
Jash Comstock
A must read took for any reformed thinker! This book lays a thorough foundation for covenant theology, and paves the way for detailed understanding of paedobaptist thought. Roberson makes the case for covenant theology better than any other I've read.
Ian Hammond
This book was really great in some parts- the mosaic and davidic covenants especially- and okay at other parts. Part one of the book was mostly unsatisfying.
Mitch
This was a fairly comprehensive treatment for being an introduction to covenantal theology. It filled in a lot of the gaps in my understanding of the topic, though some of the details were not necessary in my mind but I think that is just because I have heard many a sermon/lecture on it so much of the material was not new to me. I did find it a bit tedious in spots, but overall it was a compelling treatment of the subject and solidified my opinion that viewing Christian theology covenantally is ...more
Jacob Aitken
It's okay as a primer. Its strength is that he takes a midline and avoids all the extremes in covenant theology. One question I've always had is his insistence that a covenant is defined as a bond in blood sovereignly administered. The problem is that there was no "blood-cutting" in the garden of Eden, yet Palmer holds that was a covenant. And of course once we get out of the temporal sphere, his definition cannot work: there was no "blood," for example, in the pactum salutis!

Still, it's a must
Tim Renshaw
Great overview of the continuity of the Covenants fulfilled in Christ and the "new covenant". Covenant theology truly shows the singular redemptive work of God throughout history. Provides a framework for making sense of what are otherwise difficult concepts and "problematic" scriptures of the old and new testaments. For this reader this has returned to immediate relevancy what has previously been an opaqueness of the old testament. Also clarifies eschatalogic issues across both testaments, unif ...more
Stephen4nderson
A very good read to understand covenantal theology; highly exegetical and hermeneutical with extensive textual references in English with specific words or phrases cited in Hebrew and Greek; insightful Old Testament interpretation.

I didn't agree with all of the claims posited, but the unifying aspect of the system is convincing and beneficial. It gave me a new perspective on the Old Testament, especially Kings that deserves further exploration.

This book is definitely worth reading.
Logan
Excellent introduction to covenant theology.
Douglas
Loved it and inhaled it as spiritual food. The understanding on Biblical content that this opens for the serious reader and student of the Bible is gold. However, I am not a paedobaptist, and think that the stretch on hermeneutics as pertains to the proposed genealogical character of the New Covenant in traditional Reformed theological thinking is in opposition to several clear indicators of the "newness" of the New Covenant found in the New Testament.
JR Snow
Read this for BT101 at RBC (basically Old Testament theology survey). 'Twas a good exposition of the hot questions about the continuity within the old and new Covenants, and how Christ is seen in he Old Testament. Palmer also I think a good overview of the various aegises of the covenant of grace (Abrahamic, Davidic, Noahic, etc.) and how they played into the cumulative revealing of Gods single redemptive purpose.
Gerald
Robertson's explanation helped me see how covenant theology provides what is, from my perspective, the most natural reading of Scripture. I would recommend it to anyone who 1)might have a hard time "fitting all of the Bible together" in their mind, 2)wants to know more about Covenant Theology, or 3)just wants to understand how or why someone would interpret Scripture this way.
Walt Murray
Very good introduction to the subject of Covenant Theology, but it is not light reading, and it is really not a great book to cut your teeth on. I would suggest a few lighter intros before diving into this book. On the positive side, Robertson gives you a solid foundation to work from, and it is appropriate for the pastor, seminarian, or lay person.
Joshua Morrison
This book was an excellent primer on the Presbyterian/Reformed understanding of Covenant Theology. It was well written, and while written for the laymen still incorporates an appropriate theological language with explanations which make it immensely valuable for both the Scholar, Pastor or average Churchmen alike.
Wade
Very good, very very technical exposition of the successive covenants and how they relate to mankind.

I read this well before picking up Children of the Promise, and my head was nearly spinning the whole time.

After reading Children of the Promise, I thought of this book, and it really came alive.
Christopher
This book had quite a bit of good information in it. The first chapter was brilliant. The first part was pretty good. Through New Eyes does a better job with detailed descriptions of the various covenants, however, and Robertson is not a gifted author (i.e. painfully ponderous).
Robby
This track of halo's soundtrack

almost seems to represent in musical form how The Christ of The Covenants rose my spirit nearly as high as halo's mangling of the Bible's theology brought it low.

Revealed my ignorance.
Grant Robertson
Good introduction. I didn't learn much from it as I had finished 'Biblical Theology' by Geerhardus Vos the week before. The 'Epic of Eden' by Sandra Richter is another excellent book on covenant theology, albeit from a Methodist/Arminian perspective.
Brad
Lots of good stuff here in getting acquainted with the covenantal grid. Particularly the overall flow helps to fit the new covenant in its proper context as the consummation of God's developing relationship with his people.

I'd recommend it.
Drew
I recently finished this book for the second time. It's a favorite for me. A great introduction to Covenant Theology. This work will help you understand the storyline of Scripture more fully. Very helpful work!
Tom
A solid introduction to understanding God's work as a series of covenants. Well written, though at times needlessly wordy, and decently understandable for those who don't have a background in Christian theology.
John Yelverton
An amazing book about the historicity and usage of covenants in the Bible. Though I do not agree with all of the author's conclusions, you must admit that he is incredibly knowledgeable on the subject.
Nicholas Rozier
A foundational book on Covenant Theology. A must read if you desire a deeper understanding of covenant, how God interacts with his creation, and the framework of scripture.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Wade
This is an excellent book on the history of the covenants that God has with His people. Robertson shows how all of Scripture is a single story of a covenant-making and covenant-keeping God.
Steven Wedgeworth
This was very good when I first read it. It is obviously limited in usefulness and not terribly academic. It's mildly Klinean, but not crazy. A few quirks. Still considered a benchmark.
  • The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses
  • Biblical Theology: Old and New Testaments
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • The Shape of Sola Scriptura
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • To a Thousand Generations: Infant Baptism: Covenant Mercy for the People of God
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (Theology of Lordship)
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • The Mystery of Providence (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Deep Exegesis: The Mystery of Reading Scripture
Owen Palmer Robertson (born August 31, 1937) is an American Christian theologian and biblical scholar. He taught at Reformed Theological Seminary, Westminster Theological Seminary, Covenant Theological Seminary, Knox Theological Seminary as well as at the African Bible Colleges of Malawi and Uganda. He also served as principal of the latter institution.

Robertson is perhaps best known for his book
More about O. Palmer Robertson...
The Israel of God, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow The Christ of the Prophets Final Word Jonah Understanding the Land of the Bible: A Biblical-Theological Guide

“The new covenant radically alters the Sabbath perspective. The current believer does not first labor six days, looking hopefully towards rest. Instead, he begins the week by rejoicing in the rest already accomplished by the cosmic event of Christ's resurrection. Then he enters joyfully into his six days of labor, confident of success through the victory which Christ has already won.” 1 likes