Start by marking “I'm Not Sleepy!” as Want to Read:
I'm Not Sleepy!

I'm Not Sleepy! (I'm Not...)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  27 reviews

In this new installment in Jonathan Allen's successful series, our ever-argumentative hero, Baby Owl, is definitely NOT ready for bedtime. Other animals stay awake during the day, so why shouldn't he? He isn't yawning, he's thinking! Owls are very wise, and they spend a lot of time thinking, you know. So why does everyone seem to think Baby Owl is sleepy? He's not! He's re
Published June 1st 2010 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Not Sleepy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Not Sleepy!

Frelisa Walker
Book Review: "I'm not…" series

"I'm not…" book series have readers giggling from start to finish. Owl, the central character has an attitude and spunk. However with his loving parents and Owly, he manages to make it through his adventures.

I enjoy the series for the author reveals the issues toddlers face as they grow up.
Recommend ages:0-3

Sandi Roe
Perfect example of a little one not wanting to go to bed, and despite all evidence to the contrary, he insists he is not sleepy!
Sharon
I love the art! a cute story about a sleepy baby owl that did not want to go to bed. He got a little grouchy with everyone that was pointing out how sleepy he looked. A sure sign that he was sleepy! In the end the sleepy baby owl's father came & told him he had to go to bed.
It was great that the Father was the one that came & put him to bed in the end. It's nice to see an author use a father instead of always falling into the mom-trap. I also loved that in a small way there was a little
Sara
A little grumpy owl. Kinda cute.
Amber
Baby Owl claims he is not sleepy as he fights to keep his eyes open. The other animals stay awake all day and he wants to as well. In between arguing, he begins to doze.

I’m Not Sleepy! is a very short picture book but it is part of a popular series by Jon Allen. There is not much to say about this cute little owl book, but the pictures speak for themselves.

Recommended for children ages two to four.

Read this review in its original format here.
carissa
In this new installment in Jonathan Allen’s successful series, our ever-argumentative hero, Baby Owl, is definitely NOT ready for bedtime. Other animals stay awake during the day, so why shouldn’t he? He isn’t yawning, he’s thinking! Owls are very wise, and they spend a lot of time thinking, you know. So why does everyone seem to think Baby Owl is sleepy? He's not! He's really not! He's. . . fast asleep.
Joselyn Whitney
Pre-class book-

Audience: This book is intended for PreK-2nd because it is still a picture book but has simple sentences for the reader to explore.

Appeal: I really liked this book because I would be able to implement the reader's theater reading strategy into the classroom. The book would also be able to reach out to the students who are not so willing to do something.
Tricia
Grumpy little owl is back again...he's not sleepy! No, really, he's not. Okay, he is sleepy but he's in denial and children who fight the process of bedtime may relate to his frustration. Baby Owl is a bit grumpy/whiny for me but in the bedtime story mix this is a solid choice for older toddlers/younger preschoolers.
Sandi
A tiny little owl is NOT sleepy! He's only yawning because he's bored and...well, you'll have to read this story of the "I'm Not Sleepy" little owl to find out what he says he is! Adorable pictures accompany text with the perfect cadence for storytime read-alouds or tucking your own little ones into bed.
Julee
Little Owl insists he is not sleepy but his wise father knows better and gently deals with the sleepy situation.
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
Rated and reviewed by Dylan, aged 7:

The story is about a baby owl who does want to go to sleep. My favorite part was when the baby owl said, but make it a nice long story. I'm not at all sl- and then he falls asleep. That part was funny.
Beth
Jul 12, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: k-6
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! Perfect for read-alouds - so many characters that you can use fun voices with. The baby owl is so sweet and such the typical toddler. One of my son's bedtime favorites. <3
Jodie
This book was a present for my nephew. What an adorable story. It is the perfect story for him because he never seems to be sleepy. He loved looking at the pictures and following along as I read it.
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
There was nothing particularly thrilling to me about this picture book. It was a typical story with typical picture book illustrations. Owls are cute though.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A young owl insists that despite all of the yawning he is not sleepy. Finally Papa Owl has just the solution for this now grumpy little one.
Ingrid
Good, but not nearly as good as I'm Not Cute, by the same author. The story is just not original, although the illustrations are still very "cute."
Tiffany
This is a favorite of my owl-loving kindergartner who hates to go to bed (but gets awfully grumpy when he's sleepy).
Jocelin
What harried parent has not had to deal with a tired child saying "I'm not tired". Great bedtime story.
My favorite grumpy little owl is back! He's not sleepy, he's just thinking.
Marie
I'M NOT SCARED, but with sleepiness. Cute illustrations. Nothing new here.
Wanda
This is a super cute bedtime story and a lot of fun to read too!
June
Oct 23, 2012 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bedtime or owl requests
Little owl claims to not be sleepy. I used this for my PJ storytime.
Cristina
A good bedtime book. Baby owl doesn't want to go to sleep.
Ame
Adorable baby owl is NOT sleepy. Spoiler: This is a lie.
Allison
not as fun as the other two but I still liked it.
Bedtime storytime?
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • Froggy Goes to Hawaii
  • The Little White Owl
  • Little Pookie
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Hurry Up and Slow Down. Layn Marlow
  • The Wonderful Book
  • Are You Awake?
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Chicks Run Wild
I'm Not Cute! I'm Not Scared! The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo Don't Copy Me! I'm Not Reading!