Start by marking “The Rough Guide to Italy” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to Italy

The Rough Guide to Italy

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Rough Guide to Italy is your ultimate handbook to one of Europe''s most beautiful countries. From the capitoline museums in Rome and the stylish shops of Milan to eating Pizza in Naples and watching the spectacular Palio race in Siena, this guide captures all of Italy's highlights in a full colour introduction. The top hotels, bars and restaurants are all uncovered in ...more
Published July 2nd 2007 by Rough Guides Limited (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to Italy

Christina
There's a ton of information here, but this is like a college text book - zero pictures & dense text. I prefer having at least some pictures/maps in my guide books.

I'd recommend this if you are planning a trip a year from now, are prepared to look up things on your phone/computer while you're reading, and are going to buy another "easier" guide book to take on your actual trip (lugging this thing around in Italy seems like a non-starter).
Richard Thomas
Fundamentally, don't buy this in Kindle as it is too much abridged to be of any use.

The print edition is excellent although aimed at a younger generation than me in terms of accommodation, drinking houses and restaurants. Its descriptions of cities towns and the country are unbeatable in a single volume; you might not necessarily always agree but that is one of the joys of the Rough Guide series.
Clare
My copy of this book has crinkly pages from being used out in the rain, falls open spontaneously at the maps of Florence and Rome, and is full of annotations next to the names of ice cream shops. I can't imagine my trip to Italy in 2002 without it. Rough Guides are the bomb.
Meri Meri
Translated bits of this one. It's really well-researched and useful, plus it's accesible and has a lot of cultural info available.
Useful tool. Hopefully, out this winter sometimes at the Niculescu Publishing House.
Amanda
My reading has been really boring lately, but exciting to me - guidebooks like this one, snippets of books that take place or are about Italy, etc.... Can't wait!
Magda
Another not-to-be-missed side dish is fiori di zucca – batter-fried courgette blossom, stuffed with mozzarella and a sliver of marinated anchovy.
Vikna
Useful for planning my trip to Italy but outdated now. Better get the latest edition available.
Choui Chong
Choui Chong marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jack Hrkach
Jack Hrkach is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Jonas Eckerman
Jonas Eckerman marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Matt Harvey
Matt Harvey marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
John Maz
John Maz marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rough Guides is a leading publisher of travel and reference information, respected for their accurate, up-to-date content and informed contemporary writing.
More about Rough Guides...
The Rough Guide to Cult Movies 2 The Rough Guide to Shopping with a Conscience 1 The Rough Guide to Spain 13 World Music: The Rough Guide The Rough Guide to Scotland