Start by marking “The Rough Guide to Italy” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to Italy

The Rough Guide to Italy

This is a practical handbook to one of Europe's most captivating countries, Italy. There are detailed accounts of the best-known attractions such as the Vatican museums and the beautiful Amalfi coast as well as coverage of the lesser-known sights such as the rugged Monte Sibillini range.
Published July 2nd 2007 by Rough Guides Limited (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to Italy

Christina
There's a ton of information here, but this is like a college text book - zero pictures & dense text. I prefer having at least some pictures/maps in my guide books.

I'd recommend this if you are planning a trip a year from now, are prepared to look up things on your phone/computer while you're reading, and are going to buy another "easier" guide book to take on your actual trip (lugging this thing around in Italy seems like a non-starter).
Richard Thomas
Fundamentally, don't buy this in Kindle as it is too much abridged to be of any use.

The print edition is excellent although aimed at a younger generation than me in terms of accommodation, drinking houses and restaurants. Its descriptions of cities towns and the country are unbeatable in a single volume; you might not necessarily always agree but that is one of the joys of the Rough Guide series.
Jack Hrkach
Oct 10, 2015 Jack Hrkach rated it really liked it
Very briefly as noted before on other Rough Guides this is the one for me - few pics (why buy a book filled with pics of things you're going to see in the flesh?) lots of history, info well-written - I used these along with Rick Steves, both on kindle, and my trip becomes much easier.
Clare
Jul 05, 2010 Clare rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
My copy of this book has crinkly pages from being used out in the rain, falls open spontaneously at the maps of Florence and Rome, and is full of annotations next to the names of ice cream shops. I can't imagine my trip to Italy in 2002 without it. Rough Guides are the bomb.
Meri Meri
Translated bits of this one. It's really well-researched and useful, plus it's accesible and has a lot of cultural info available.
Useful tool. Hopefully, out this winter sometimes at the Niculescu Publishing House.
Amanda
Apr 28, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
My reading has been really boring lately, but exciting to me - guidebooks like this one, snippets of books that take place or are about Italy, etc.... Can't wait!
Magda
Feb 27, 2013 Magda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another not-to-be-missed side dish is fiori di zucca – batter-fried courgette blossom, stuffed with mozzarella and a sliver of marinated anchovy.
Vikna
Useful for planning my trip to Italy but outdated now. Better get the latest edition available.
Alison Lord
Alison Lord rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Northern Pasty
Northern Pasty rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Orlando Richards
Orlando Richards marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Iain Henderson
Iain Henderson is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2016
Jenny
Jenny is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2016
Olga Aristova
Olga Aristova is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2016
Arlen Strickland
Arlen Strickland marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Melanie Miller
Melanie Miller rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Earlane Stanfield
Earlane Stanfield is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Avi
Avi marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Marilyn Musick
Marilyn Musick marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Elke
Elke added it
Apr 10, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Jonas Blakstad
Jonas Blakstad rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Martin Smith
Martin Smith rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Taciano Perez
Taciano Perez rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
  • How to Read a Novel
  • Italy
  • العقل القوي
  • Alexander The Great's Art Of Strategy
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary with Access Code
  • Gardening Basics for Dummies
  • Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress
  • The Case of the Lazy Lover
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand
  • Pocket Dictionary of Signing, Revised and Expanded
  • The Mermaid and the Drunks
  • Eyewitness Travel Guides - Ireland
Rough Guides is a leading publisher of travel and reference information, respected for their accurate, up-to-date content and informed contemporary writing.
More about Rough Guides...