Start by marking “The Rough Guide to New York City” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to New York City

The Rough Guide to New York City

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Rough Guide to New York City is your definitive guide to this bustling metropolis. Covering all five boroughs - "Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens," and "Staten Island"- in depth, the 24-page full-colour introduction highlights all the ''things not to miss''. This updated tenth edition explores New York's history and culture, includes detailed listings on everythi ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Rough Guides Limited (first published March 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to New York City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to New York City

Alan
Sep 04, 2013 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
pretty handy guide, useful for the maps which took me (plus wife and kids of course) to the Dakota Buildings and Moma and everywhere else. Also useful for finding bars, eg The Delancey which my 20 something daughters liked - we went up on the rooftop bar - they said the drinks were mixed very strong (i drank Brooklyn lager). A good potted history of new York too at the back.
David
Jan 15, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember why I decided on the Rough Guide instead of Lonely Planet or another one, but this ended up being a decent guide book.

When I moved to New York I intended to be a perpetual tourist and to use this book pretty often, but I think I actually only ended up using it to look up phone numbers for museums and landmarks. I ended up working and hanging out with the roommates when I got to New York and by the time I got around to seeing the city on my own I didn't really need a book anymore
Charlie' (Ohana means family)
Jun 19, 2014 Charlie' (Ohana means family) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People wanting to go to New York
I picked this up at the last minute, I have been planning this huge road trip to the USA for years now. And I wanted to find some of the best places in New York to see/eat/etc.

I found that this guide wasn't as helpful as some of the other guides I have recently looked at. Although, I did note down the list of '18 Things Not to Miss in New York'
Pinky
Jun 16, 2009 Pinky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-09
This is great to read before taking a trip to NYC to get an idea of what to visit and what to avoid. I wish I had taken this with instead of Let's Go, because that really caters to students looking to travel on the cheap, and I was looking for a really authentic visit. Because I had read this guide, though, I was able to recognize a lot more.
Philip Hollenback
Dec 12, 2010 Philip Hollenback rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visiting or moving to NYC? You should read this book. Excellent suggestions and reviews of things to do and places to say. This edition is a little outdated so pick up a newer one.

I took a 6 year journey in NYC with this book and it was the most amazing experience of my life.
John
New York... far more wonderful than those of you that have never been could even possibly begin to imagine.

The Rough Guide is by no means the best [nor worst], yet its simple formula makes it a very comfortable read for those familiar with the series.
Rich Daley
Mar 19, 2011 Rich Daley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, the Rough Guides are the best way to get around an unfamiliar place. I was there with my girlfriend who has lived there for 12 years but having a "tourist" guide was still essential!
Daniel Halliday
This served us well for a first trip to New York - we checked out a hell of a lot of Manhattan, along with a bit of Brooklyn and Queens. Solid.
Marte Patel
Jul 28, 2010 Marte Patel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I can't wait to go there in September! Rough Guides are always inspirational and this is no exception.
Cherie
Dec 06, 2007 Cherie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Very good to remind me of what's rad abt NYC, but I don't like the Rough Guides
Stella Foggon
Stella Foggon rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Jaime
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Sandra
Sandra added it
Feb 28, 2016
Elizabeth Nelson
Elizabeth Nelson rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Kelly Beestone
Kelly Beestone rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Andrea Wylde
Andrea Wylde rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Mohamed Fata
Mohamed Fata rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Anna Taylor
Anna Taylor rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Ali Munnelly
Ali Munnelly rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Alan Cheung
Alan Cheung rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Debbie Rollason
Debbie Rollason rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
C Johnson
C Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Manu Zeta
Manu Zeta rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015