Start by marking “Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  49 reviews
What’s weird around here? That’s a question Mark Moran and Mark Sceurman have enjoyed asking for years—and their offbeat sense of curiosity led them to create the best-selling phenomenon, Weird N.J. But why should they stop at New Jersey when there’s so much that’s strange, odd, and utterly nutty all across the U.S.? So they’ve expanded their universe, taken their act on t ...more
Published October 4th 2004 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Weird U.S., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weird U.S.

Daniel
"Weird U.S." is an excellent read. I've owned it for years, and I still discover something new every time I open it. The whole book is rather light-hearted, even when discussing very heavy subject matter such as murders and disappearances, so it's not going to change the way anyone thinks about the universe or anything. However, for anyone interested in the paranormal, mysteries, or just plain weirdness, this is the book for you. "Weird U.S." is cleverly written and full of images depicting the ...more
You would think by now that I'd know better than to read ghost stories too late at night or too close to bedtime. Think again!

I brought Weird US on my trip to Washington, DC. Some of the stories I'd heard before. Some of the stories had some really awful drawings with them. Most of the stories are anecdotal along with a few historical facts.

It's kind of fun to read the different takes on the same legend. I like reading the background of the various legends. I didn't always understand how the sto
Lauren
One of the most addicting books I've ever read - and I almost never read it at all!

My dad is good at finding gifts online that you wouldn't think of yourself, but as soon as he gives it to you it's like "this is awesome!". In this case 'Weird US' was a Christmas gift for my mother, who said something along the lines of 'oh, that's interesting' and put it aside. A few days later, having read every book I'd gotten, I started reading 'Weird US' and was hooked, adopting it into my own personal libra
GoldenjoyBazyll
Dec 10, 2009 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jennifer/ Sandy
Shelves: travel
NOW... if you really want to go down roads less traveled.... here are some sugggestions for you.

I bought the game and on Thanksgiving I played it with my friends. We didn't have the book and didn't know alot about WEIRD US so we started looking up the places on the web. OMG... what a riot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ended up purchasing the book and as I read through it I realized... I have visited many of the places. Ok- so what does that say about me??? Maybe I enjoy the weird... the odd and offbeat a li
Josh
Sep 18, 2007 Josh rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spooky Story Enthusiasts
Reading some of the fantastical and bizarre stories in this book, you might ask “Whoa, really?”

Well, no. Not really.

This coffee table book is an extension of the website www.weridus.com that documents local myths and urban legends throughout the states, including first, second or third-hand accounts submitted to them on the site. The authors fully admit that the work is apocryphal, and that no story, regardless of how suspect, would be discounted as long as it’s a good story. If you remind yours
Michael
Before reading this, I assumed – per a South Park episode – that Al Gore was the only person who believed in the notorious Man-Bear-Pig chimera. Now I know otherwise. Reveling in a collage of myths and neurosis, this tome is chock-full of supposed oddities that have somehow escaped the lens of a camera (in a society where seemingly every post-1987 infant pratfall or freaking dog chasing a squirrel is filmed and aired on my damn TV each Sunday!). This is the underbelly of Americana…and I love thi ...more
Steve Johnson
A nice survey of strange places, ghost stories, tall tales, urban legends, local flavor, roadside attractions, and other all-American weirdness. A lot of the material will be familiar to Fortean-leaning readers, but there's enough obscure stuff to make it worth a read. Some people might complain about the fact that the authors almost gleefully refuse to engage in any real fact-checking or verifying. A lot of the stories were submitted by website readers, which means that in some cases there are ...more
Ashley
The writing can drive you a little nuts (mostly because most of it is in the form of letters from people who have written to the authors, and therefore good grammar is not required), and despite the many promises to look at the material objectively, the authors' REALLY tend to favor supernatural explanations. But overall this book was just fun. I'm no believer in ghosts. At the same time I can't resist a good haunted house tale (even if I don't believe). There are chapters about everything from ...more
Santino Maulucci
Very interesting book. I don't know if everyone would enjoy it,but I did. That's the kind of job I would like;traveling around countries and finding weird things and places. I enjoy everything strange,weird,and out of the box.
Eden
Weird U.S. was.....Well, weird!

If your looking for weird, strange or haunted places to visit this is the book you want to read. Now not all the places in the book they recommend you visiting because some are private property, but others are open to the public.
There is so many stories in here; from a Bunny Man to Phantom Clowns to Rehmeyer's Hollow and the Curse of The Witch, there is tons of interesting and crazy stories to read about in this book. I would recommend it to anyone that's into weir
Emily
I like to find out about strange and little known places that I can visit whilst traveling. If you do too, you'll love this book!
Amanda
Sep 06, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Amanda by: My Father
I liked this book. I received it as a Christmas present a few years back and love picking it up to read every now and again. It is filled with interested and odd facts about everything the USA has to offer. It's a great book to pick up and put down for easy subtle reading. This book also has great pictures of the actual story in it too, so children can get into the book as well. I'm looking forward to buying Weird Hauntings by the same authors. They put a lot of research and traveling into these ...more
Stacy Robinson
I enjoyed this book as it is more of a tour guide of all the places in the United States that have stories of their own to tell. I enjoyed also the fact that they included people's own thoughts who live in these places or have visited them, along with their interpretation of them. It was nice that each description also included the history behind the legend and how it has been since the tragedy happened. Good to note that they are not divided into chapters, but more like excerpts so that you cou ...more
Jaime Contreras
This is a collection of bizarre and trivial facts about the states, locales, customs and incidents. It is a book for the lover the odd and interesting. This book reveals some true treasures of this country. Read it with an open mind and a smile. it is a relaxing read.
JacobT
Dec 08, 2007 JacobT rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone whos intereted
The date above is the last time I looked through it. One thing: This is the scariest thing I have ever read. It has a collection of newspaper articles and witness accounts of various things that are Wierd in the U.S. Everything from the 7 gateways to Hell to wicked clowns that abduct children. Not just folklore but actual things with photos and everything. Once I look through this book I'm a scaredy cat for at leastt 2 days. The book scares the pants off me but oddly, I can't put it down.
Leah
Meh....this book was ok. I really thought it was going to be more about things like the world's largest rubber band ball and odd stuff like that. I found myself reading this book more for the fact that I had started than from any interest. The weird part is I struggled to finish reading this book and then it actually did get interesting in the end when it talked about abandoned mental hospitals and asylums, but that is probably because that sort of stuff falls in my interest category.
Hotavio
Intriguing book that highlights odd stops across America. Not as interesting, it also holds a plethora of local legends, which seems to be varying accounts of the same tale, seemingly recounted by mischievous teenagers who did some snooping around.
While the legends and are worthy of only a cursory glance, abandoned asylums and strange phenomena are always exciting to me. It definitely piqued my curiosity and made me want to go on a cross country road trip for the macabre!
Brooke
Lives up to it's name. Got this book for my kids as a diversion for a long car ride - it's definitely weird. Too much emphasis on supposedly first-hand accounts of ghostly encounters, haunted places, etc. I prefer the quirky, off-the-beaten path places to stop on a road trip rather than haunted spots that are clearly made up.
Gina
Interesting, but sometimes it drags and it feels a little scattershot. Since it is largely a collection of submissions from random people, who contribute varying amounts of research and literary ability, that makes a lot of sense. It is probably best for flipping through randomly, but I did read it through all the way, because I hate to miss anything. It could have been better, but I think it serves its purpose.
Carrie
There are so many folk legends it's hard to list them all but these guys really try. And since it would be impossible to verify them all (if you can verify any), they just go ahead and list what they think is interesting. I love all the photos and illustrations. It's a great book to keep on the coffee table for guests.
Mel
I bought this book to add to my in-class ESL library. I was looking for something which would appeal to the boys and I've certainly found it in this book. Haunting tales of mothmen, strange stone formations, and general oddities and legends found around the U.S. Hopefully my students will enjoy this as much as I did.
Kim
Definitely an interesting read, but I got a little sick of all the uses of "supposedly" or "according to legend" or "apparently". While some of the legends date back to the 1800s or earlier, I feel they could have done more research on the more recent legends to find out how much truth there is to them.
Celeste
This book was really fun to just sit and read. Hubby and I will also be consulting it from now on before we make a road trip in order to see if there are any fun or interesting places that we'll be going through. And it gets five stars for revealing the whereabouts of midgetville in San Diego!
Mark Fallon
A book of "weird" places around the country and the stories attached. Many silly stories (ghost stories, gates of hell, etc.). Amazing what people will believe.

The best sections are on houses with interesting art and cemeteries. The truth is always stranger than fiction.
Jasmine
Took a chance with the book and turned out very enjoyable and mysterious and freaky even scary! True events, old wives tales of odd places around the word, you decide. We'll put together by the authors and will be keeping my eye out for the other editions to add to my library!!
Duane Simolke
I loved Weird Texas! This book also contains great stories throughout, including some familiar ones. The concept is simple: combine first-person reports of local folklore and urban legends with road-trip investigations. Great for fans of the TV show Supernatural!
angrykitty
after reading the "weird ca" and "weird mn" books, i went and got the "weird us" books. unfortunately, i didn't find these as interesting....mostly i think because i didn't live in the states where most of the stuff talked about happened....
Reagan
Dec 20, 2007 Reagan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to know useless information about places you have been, or want to visit
This is a fun book; full of pictures and wild tales about strange happenings all over the United States. You will learn about creepy myths, legendary creatures, supernatural spottings, etc. It's a good book to read in bits and pieces.
Becky
Has many interesting tid-bits collected by the authors regarding local lore and a little historical fact thrown in for good measure. If you're into urban ledges, local lore, and the just plain weird, this is a great read.
Colleen
A good coffee table book. My mom had this book on her coffee table and my husband couldn't put it down one holiday. My mom finally bought him a copy for Christmas. It's all about different town legends.
  • Weird New York
  • Weird Michigan
  • Weird Ohio
  • Weird New England
  • Historic Haunted America
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • Monsters of the Sea
  • Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond
  • Weird Washington: Your Travel Guide to Washington's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • The Complete Books
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Supernatural Locations
  • Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side
Weird N.J.: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets Weird N.J. Volume 2: Your Travel Guide to New Jersey's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets Weird California Weird U.S. The ODDyssey Continues (Weird Travel Guides) Weird NJ #38