Start by marking “Revolution of Hope: The Life, Faith, and Dreams of a Mexican President” as Want to Read:
Revolution of Hope: The Life, Faith, and Dreams of a Mexican President

Revolution of Hope: The Life, Faith, and Dreams of a Mexican President

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The charismatic former president of Mexico offers a candid and provocative perspective on the state of world affairs.
As president of Mexico, Vicente Fox brought true democracy to the country after seven decades of one party rule. Elected as a political outsider with a message of honesty, change, and hope, he is truly a hero of democracy, and this vivid book interweaves h
Published October 4th 2007 by Plume Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Revolution of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolution of Hope

Brianna
Jan 31, 2009 Brianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brianna by: Elena
This is a (mostly) interesting and informative book by and about the first Mexican President to break through the one-party corruption that had strongholded the nation for decades.

The cons of this book were: it felt a bit long, especially since the same several points were made over and over and over again. It is obviously a book intended For America (did he really have to call Mexico's Presidential plane "Mexican Air Force One" over and over again?) and in many places is less of an autobiograp
Patti
Nov 27, 2011 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fox is hard not to like - passionate, charismatic, funny, and motivated by love of God's people. No, I didn't agree with him on everything, but found his determination to improve the lives of as many people as possible inspiring and energizing. It made me take a closer look at my opinions on immigration as well, and address the core issue at hand (human lives) as opposed to the rest of what you hear from the media: politics, jobs and racial bias... made me think about what I can do in Peoria to ...more
Lisa
Jun 25, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning more about Mexican history from this book. I had no clue about the corruptness of Mexico's leadership that lasted for many years. This book contained humor, history, and inspiration. I also liked the blunt truth about the strengths and weaknesses of Mexico and its culture that Vicente explains by stories and U.S. comparisions. I learned so much from reading it plus I was very entertained so I had to give it 5 stars.
Inna
Aug 26, 2008 Inna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Inna's husband, Mike. Anyone who knows me, please read this as if I'm not the one writing the review. This is perhaps one of the most important books anyone could read...a perspective of the American dream from a former Mexican president. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and suggest anyone check it out from the library or borrow it. It discusses the hopes and dreams of someone just like us, just from a different country. Very uplifting and funny, too. So...read it.
David
May 27, 2008 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
His first job after college was working for Ford in Mexico City. However, he quit this job to become a Coke Cola Driver. He did not like being trapped in office all day at Ford.

It was interesting to read about his opinion on Barack Obama's - he believe he is similar to a Robert F. Kennedy. However, he does not approve of Barack Obama's stance on NAFTA.

He also wants to see a United Americas. It would be similar to the European Union.
Christopher
Mar 31, 2008 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing, funny, and thoughtful review of Mexico in a historical and political sense along with unbelievable memoirs of a modern political crusader. I gained an appreciation for Fox's merging of ideals with practicality and his commitment to basic freedoms (i.e. of the press, the right to protest, etc.) even when it hurt his image. I liked the focus on Mexico's poor and his treatment of the immigration issue from the Mexican point of view.
Xavier Vargas
Oct 19, 2009 Xavier Vargas is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I may not agree with all of his politics, but this is a very readable book and makes me think of my great-grandparents' experience in the Mexico of yesteryear and reminds me how grateful I am that, as the Mexican Revolution waned, my great-grandparents traveled to El Norte to find a better life.
Erick Gutierrez
Oct 29, 2012 Erick Gutierrez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Una autobiografía del ex presidente Fox en el que nos informa su vida desde la emigración de su abuelo a México desde Cincinnati, Ohio, su papel en la transición democrática de México, es decir, el romper con los 71 años del PRI hasta su "maravillosa" gestión como presidente.
Jez
Nov 23, 2007 Jez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mexicanidad
Met Vicente a few weeks ago. Heard him speak. Got my picture with him like any good mexicana. I don't agree with his politics in many ways (esp NAFTA) but his grandfather is from Cincy, I'm from Cincy, and he's a tall mexican y soy tambien. A very interesting read.
K-dawg
Nov 10, 2012 K-dawg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book if you are interested in politics and history. It was sometimes a little difficult to understand it jumped around from flashbacks and the present time. It has some great lessons to be learned and it was quite inspirational
Susan Y,
Feb 05, 2012 Susan Y, rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This explained a lot about this Mexican president and answered a lot of my questions. He does take a rather hemispherical view f the future, which makes sense considering his heritage as well as his career. an interesting figure.
Dena Becker
Apr 01, 2008 Dena Becker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether or not you like Vicente Fox and his performance during his presidency, the book gives the reader an excellent understanding of the Mexican political landscape and the enormous challenges that still face the country.
Rob
Nov 11, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. His thoughts and ideas on North America are "spot on" and I wish more people (especially politicians) would "get it" as President Fox does. Bravo!
Ellen
Mar 20, 2013 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before hearing the author speak at Boston,s Speaker Series. Provided good background and gave me a good perspective about his country,s relationship withthe US.
Glen
Nov 03, 2007 Glen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksread2007
This is a very interesting book that outlines President Fox hopes and dreams for a better Mexico as well as a better world. I think most people would profit by reading it.
Linda
Sep 26, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Vicente Fox. I think he did a good job during his short stint as president of Mexico. Although I don't agree with all his ideas, his book is worth the read.
Shirley beverly
Jul 09, 2008 Shirley beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so enlightening about Fox's life and his views of the world today, a must read for all North Americans(USA) concerning immigration and the border fence.
Paula
Nov 13, 2007 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting to hear Vicente Fox's perspective. I like him more after reading the book. He made some really good points, but came across as a little pompous at times.
Mike
Mar 09, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too bad Mexico has only one-term presidencies. This man did wonderful things for Mexico, even though he was working with severe corruption.
John
Jan 14, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
well written and i think truthful. he was a good president. the part of mexico where i live, got much better while he was president.
Jessy Ouellette
Jul 24, 2008 Jessy Ouellette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Good book, showed me you can do anything if you really want to. Also made be learn quite a bit about Mexican culture.
Tracey
Apr 11, 2010 Tracey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-finds
The first biography I've ever completely read....from cover to cover!! An EXCELLENT book. Well worth your time.
John Moore
Oct 12, 2007 John Moore is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I wrote a post about part of the introduction today at http://nonviolentmigration.wordpress.com.
Gina
Nov 27, 2007 Gina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I met him today at his book signing. I only had about 15 seconds with him but he seemed genuine.
jcdevivero
Feb 13, 2008 jcdevivero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Political nerds
Recommended to jcdevivero by: Vincente Fox
Shelves:
Fox is American, interesting facts on Madero and Fox's point of view on NAFTA.
Shawn Riegsecker
Jul 13, 2012 Shawn Riegsecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it! Great history on Mexico.
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Bryan rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A modern day peaceful revolution 3 4 Jun 10, 2011 10:03AM
Mexican politician and former President of Mexico from 2000 to 2006.

Currently he serves as co-President of the Centrist Democrat International, an international organization of Christian democratic political parties.
More about Vicente Fox...