The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation, #4)

The Story Teller (Wind River Reservation #4)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Father O'Malley and Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden return! When a sacred tribal artifact disappears from a museum, it's more than Arapaho history that is lost--it's an Arapaho student's life...

From back cover
When the Arapaho storyteller discovers that a sacred tribal artifact is missing from a local museum, attorney Vicky Holden is called to investigate. The lost treasure:...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Berkley (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Story Teller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Teller

Roberta
Wow! This Coel mystery is chock full of interesting history and action! The history involves an event that occured in 1864--the Sand Creek Massacre (also known as the Battle of Sand Creek) where both Cheyenne and Arapahoe were killed by a 700-man Colorado militia. The dead and injured were almost all women and children. The involvement of both attorney Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley in finding the true story of the historic event and what is behind a number of murders leads to high drama....more
Bea
Vicky Holden is an Arapaho woman who has returned to the reservation as an attorney wanting somehow to help her people. She is asked to get back a sacred treasure that only the tribal storyteller believes ever existed in a Denver museum. Father John is a priest who was sent to the reservation to dry out and to conquer his drinking problem. It was supposed to be a punishment which turned out to be life-giving to him.

And, then a young Arapaho is killed. He was writing his thesis and planning, aft...more
Karen
A mystery about the high stakes of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, which allows Native tribes to recover their treasures from museums and gain compensation for losses.
Arapaho lawyer Vicky Holden and her confidante, Jesuit priest John O’Malley investigate the disappearance of a native graduate student whose thesis argued for Arapaho victims in a massacre that occurred in 19th century Colorado -- an assertion that challenged the accepted version of history as documente...more
L.
Vicki Holden, the Arapaho lawyer, is asked by a tribal elder to investigate a ledger book he remembers seeing in a Denver museum when he was a child. That museum is now repatriating Native artifacts to several tribes. The ledger book--a vivid historical document written in pictographs by the tribal storyteller in the mid 19th-century--is not on the list of repatriated items the museum claims is all the have for the Wind River Reservation.

When Vicki arrives in Denver she crosses paths with Father...more
Patty
Father John and Vicky find themselves once again working on a murder. This time a young graduate student who has promised to be curator at the Arapaho Museum is killed while finishing up his master's thesis. Is there something in the thesis that got him killed? Or was it a drug related killing? Vicky and Father John both dismiss the drug angle, they know Todd and that isn't his style.

At first I thought this was going to be another "big issue" book, i.e., something that involves several federal a...more
Sandra
Margaret Coel has become my substitute for Tony Hillerman. Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley are the characters rather than Chee and Leaphorn, while the Wind River Reservation of Wyoming replaces the Four Corners region of Arizona and New Mexico. I enjoy the mysteries but always find myself going to my travel guide or Google Earth and looking at the places that are central to the story. Usually have to google to find out more info on the plot as well. This particular story concerns museums,...more
Gloria Schwarting
this book packed a lot of murder and action for a short novel. Still very interesting and suspenseful. Guess I'll go this week to see which others in the series are in the library. I bought book 1 to get the basis for the characters since it wasn't in our collection. I don't want to buy all 17.
Nancy
Margaret Coel combines a fast-paced mystery with good character development. In book four of the Wind River Series, a respected elder informs Arapaho attorney Vicky Holden that an important item, a priceless ledger book with pictographs documenting the tribe's history, is missing from a inventory of artifacts held at the a Denver museum and scheduled to be returned to the tribe. The museum curator denies any such book existed, but Vicky trusts her instincts, her logic and the tribal elder. She l...more
Rosamond
Another great book by Native American Author Margaret Coel. Suspenseful, historical and good tension between the main characters. I give this a star-5. Tony Hillerman fans would like this!
The Story Teller The Story Teller

The lost treasure: a one-of-a kind ledger book and the only Arapaho account of the Sand Creek Massacre. The book is worth millions, so when the museum says they never had it, Vicky's suspicion is aroused. Then she learns that an Arapaho student mysteriously died while researchi...more
Melissa Fowler
OK story but main character was a bit unbelievable as an attorney.
Kelly Stubbart
History is written by the winners. That doesn't make it true. Dissent good people!
Janice

Another enjoyable journey with Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley. 'Nuff said...
Jeff Dickison
The best of the Wind River Reservation tales that I have read to date. An Arapaho picture-ledger book is missing from a museum and as Vicky and father John investigate people begin to die. This series would be better if Vicky and father John didn't have this 'thing' for each other. That part of the story I have never been able to believe in. Recommended.
John Winkworth
In October of 2012 we viewed an exhibition of Dwayne Wilcox entitled Above the Fruited Plain in the Missoula Art Museum. Mr Wilcox used ledger paper for his work. I was enchanted by his contemporary views, his sense of humor, and his use of ledger paper serving as a great historical grounding. Ledger paper has a key role to play in this book and added to my interest.
Ratforce
Margaret Coel writes mysteries with a strong focus on Native American culture. They are light on violence and fans of CJ Box may enjoy the strong setting that Coel evokes. The Story Teller is the fourth in the series, but the first one that is available in large print at the library. If you would rather start at the beginning, look for The Eagle Catcher.
Fredrick Danysh
As artifacts are being returned to the Arapaho tribe, as picture ledger is missing. The museum denies and its Cheyenne expert deny iy ever existed and that any Arapaho had died at the Sand Creek Massacre. The gruadte student reseaching the battle is murdered. Attorney Vicky Holden and Father John O'Malley investigate and things start to get interesting.
Linda
A missing journal of the Arapaho massacre at Sand Creek, CO leads a Jesuit Priest and an Arapaho lawyer on a search for the journal, which seems to be piling up bodies all over the place. A lot of Indian background, but not as much as Tony Hillerman, in my opinion. Still, a good mystery, with good characters.
Adrienne
This is number 4, and I'm reading them out of order and would suggest reading them in order because of some of the story lines that continue through a couple of the books. I'm finding the characters more interesting and the mysteries more varied. Enjoyable reading. Planning to go through the whole series.
Katherine
This one was just okay. Vicky Holden seemed to be quite depressed and angry in this novel. For someone who is supposed to be so intuitive, she also let a young girl walk straight into a death trap. The previous Margaret Coel -- Dream Stalker - was much better.
Ann Amadori
Carol
I have enjoyed all the books of this series. It features a Jesuit priest from a small res in west and the trouble that seems to follow him. This story is about recovering the arifacts of the Arapaho Indians and the lengths some will go to to not let that happen.
Ron
Reading the series in order, I found #4 a good tale. It kept me interested and was almost as good as the previous one. A good mix of indian lore, greed and murders. And of course... conflicts of unavailable love.
June
Oct 20, 2008 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery and Hillerman fans
Recommended to June by: Cheryl
I enjoyed this a little better than the last though the romance gets in the way of the story for me. This deals with the recovery of lost Native American sacred artifacts and trying to reclaim Native American history
Claire
Not as satisfying as her earlier books, because the lawyer's assumptions were not based on any evidence until the very end.
Betty410
Most of this adventure takes place in Denver and those of you familiar with the streets, will no doubt follow Vicki and Father John in their search for a historical record while murders happen around them
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I'm really loving Margaret Coel's Wind River series. I thought I would have a big gap there when Tony Hillerman died but these are filling it. Very human characters and superb stories... love them!
Permies.world
It was good but at the end, the police arrived in the "ta da" nick of time for a completely implausible reason. The story was great. I just didn't like how she wrapped it up.
Barbara
This is the best one yet!
Vickie Holden was much better than the 2nd book. She was smart with none of the stupid stubborness that is so annoying.
Beth
I'm Loving the Colorado connections in this series, as well as the gently tense relationships among the main characters.
Victoria
I have enjoyed Ms. Coel's books, but found this one exasperating as to Vicky Holden's obstinacy. Still fascinating, however.
  • Cry Dance
  • The Shaman's Game
  • The Fallen Man (Navajo Mysteries, #12)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Wild Indigo (A Wild Mystery #1)
Margaret Coel is the New York Times bestselling, award-winning author of the acclaimed novels featuring Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden, as well as several works of nonfiction. Originally a historian by trade, she is considered an expert on the Arapaho Indians.
More about Margaret Coel...
The Eagle Catcher (Wind River Reservation, #1) The Ghost Walker (Wind River Reservation, #2) The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5) The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6) Killing Raven (Wind River Reservation, #9)