Start by marking “Water, Ice, And Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes” as Want to Read:
Water, Ice, And Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes

Water, Ice, And Stone: Science and Memory on the Antarctic Lakes

Bill Green goes to the lakes of Antarctica to do scientific field research, but finds in his own memories and in the beauty and brutality of a lonely, dangerous land, something of the awe and wonder that are the inspirations for scientific inquiry.
Published June 6th 1995 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Water, Ice, And Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water, Ice, And Stone

Jun 17, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-related
The overwhelming image I'm left with after reading this book is that of the sea breathing. Much of the science here is the taking in and giving out of various elements and molecules by water, be it in Antarctic lakes, the ocean, or rivers and the global water bodies in general. Green traces the chemistry of water and where it comes from and where it disappears to. He also paints the picture of the Antarctic he studies, its vastness and stillness and sterility.

The story is mostly science and poe
Bob Coats
Nov 16, 2009 Bob Coats rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly remarkable book. Green captures the excitement of scientific research in a beautiful, remote and challenging environment, in a way that is accessible to both scientists and non-scientists. He weaves together the scientific story with his own personal and family narrative. He has the mind of a scientist and the heart of a poet. The writing ranks with that of Loren Eiseley, Barry Lopez, and Terry Tempest Williams.

Some technical material (periodic table, geologic time line) is inclu
Jan 17, 2011 Doug rated it liked it
I passed up a chance to go to Antarctica for 6 weeks in grad school...and now I regret that decision even more. If I could give this book 3.5 stars I would...more nature writing than science, this is a descriptive account of a geochemist (yay!) working in Antarctica puzzling through some unusual lake chemistry. Yeah, I know, sounds thrilling...but the descriptions of the scientific process, the disappointments, the challenges of piecing together a complicated experiment in a forbidding landscape ...more
Eamon McCarthy Earls
Jul 30, 2014 Eamon McCarthy Earls rated it it was amazing
One of the best pieces of science writing that I've seen to date. I first perused Green's book around 2009, but I didn't return to read it until a few years later. I credit Green's brilliant blend of science, art, and personal philosophy--at least in part--for my decision to study geology in college.
Mr. Mullins
Jun 02, 2012 Mr. Mullins rated it really liked it
Great read for one that appreciates naturalist and scientific writing combined. I am biased on this as he was one of college teachers way back in the day. But he has poetic prose and captures the insight of scientific questions, obstacles and beauty in such an unforgiving location.
Mar 12, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nature / Science Lovers
Non-fiction - Library Book

2008 ed. of a 1995 non-fiction book. Bill Green is a field scientist who travelled to Antarctica to do research. Much more than a straight "science" book, this is part travelog, part science journal, and part philosophical musings of the wonders of nature.
Bill Wells
Mar 12, 2013 Bill Wells rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book I have read numerous times since I first got it a few years ago. There is an almost lyrical quality to some of the descriptions of Antarctica. Bill Green gives the reader a different look at the southern pole while discussing some very interesting science.
Adela Dziekanowski
Feb 01, 2013 Adela Dziekanowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my favorite books. I buy it as a gift for people who I think will appreciate it as much as I did. It is a true story, but it reads like a well-written novel. It touched my soul.
Nov 27, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Best science nerd book... Taking a while
Nov 08, 2009 Wanda rated it really liked it
eloquent and riveting so far....
Bradley Rotter
Bradley Rotter marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Dsg marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Mark Schoonover
Mark Schoonover marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Ashley T
Ashley T rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Isaac Martin
Isaac Martin is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2016
Nick R
Nick R rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
barbara rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Fiona rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Julie Reverb
Julie Reverb is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2015
Shantarian Hector
Shantarian Hector marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Arbraxan marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Joey marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Todd Taras
Todd Taras marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Elle Dombrowski
Elle Dombrowski marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Erin Miller
Erin Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Helen added it
Mar 21, 2015
Karma rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Matt marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bill Green is a geochemist and professor emeritus at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Green first traveled to Antarctica in 1968 and began doing his own research there in 1980. To date (2011) he has been there nine times and has published many articles on the biogeochemical processes in the pristine lakes and meltwater streams of the McMurdo Dry Valleys.
More about Bill Green...