Start by marking “Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House” as Want to Read:
Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House

Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Old MacDonald had a farm ... in an apartment house in the middle of the city. As the tenants move out, Old MacDonald (the building's Super) moves cabbages and carrots, mushrooms and corn, cows and chickens into the bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and closets. The farm grows by bushels, and everything is fine -- until the day Fat Mr. Wrental, the owner, comes by to collect t ...more
Published December 2nd 2005 by Atheneum Books (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old MacDonald Had an Apartment House

Rachel Hartman
The Barretts are better known for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, but I think this lesser-known opus is the superior work. It does stretch credulity a bit. My father, a plant pathologist who was raised on a farm, used to go to great lengths to explain to us exactly WHY one could not turn an apartment building into a farm, the way Old MacDonald does in this book. I didn't care; it doesn't matter. This is a parable about nature and the city finding ways to accommodate each other, soft-hearted g ...more
Ily
I love the urban farm idea. cute book and I think I could use it for a silly story or skit in cub scouts as we talk about our living world requirements.
Emyrose8
4.5- What would happen if Old MacDonald lived in a city instead of on a farm?
Esmoi
I took the average of my rating and my four year old's rating. I'd give it three stars and I think he'd give it five, partly because he is currently obsessed with learning about apartment buildings. This was written in 1969 and is intended to be silly but it has present-day relevance as well, with the focus on eating locally grown vegetables.
Pam
This nonsensical tale of an apartment manager Old MacDonald and his garden that went astray is cute, funny, and beautifully illustrated. The only warning for parents is to keep the crayons hidden away if you get this from the library as the delightful black and white illustrations long to be colored. As an adult I was even tempted! Bravo!
Kay
Cute story about Old MacDonald as the Super of an apartment building. As his tenants move out, he uses their old apartments to plant vegetables. Great use of imagination as the carrots grow down through the ceiling of the apartment below, etc…
elissa
This is one that I definitely liked better as a child than I do now, but it still holds up pretty well.
Amy
Cute story about an apartment super who turns the apartment building into a farm.
Jody
Dec 08, 2007 Jody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Very cute and urban version of an old classic.
Sean Greif
Sean Greif marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Coco
Coco added it
Jul 09, 2015
RM
RM marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Heather Kirk
Heather Kirk marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Cheyenne Phillips
Cheyenne Phillips marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Hs
Hs added it
Jun 23, 2014
Honey K.
Honey K. marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Judi Barrett is the author of many well-loved books for children, including Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Pickles to Pittsburgh, Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing, and Things That Are Most in the World. She teaches art to kindergarten students at a school in her Brooklyn, New York, neighborhood. And she usually doesn't mind going to the dentist!
More about Judi Barrett...
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Animals Should Definitely Not Wear Clothing Pickles to Pittsburgh Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do) The Marshmallow Incident