Start by marking “Historic Haunted America” as Want to Read:
Historic Haunted America

Historic Haunted America

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  759 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Historic Haunted America is an engrossing investigation into North American ghost legends, a comprehensive documenting yesterday and today's most shocking hauntings in the United States and Canada.

From the ghost-ridden forts in Old Tucson to the "Inn of the 17 Ghosts" near Philadelphia, from the haunted plantations of Louisiana and Georgia to a haunted community playhouse
Published October 15th 1996 by Tor Books (first published October 1st 1995)

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsFire of Stars and Dragons by Melissa PetreshockBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Best Paranormal Books-Nonfiction and Fiction
73rd out of 340 books — 193 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
480th out of 739 books — 1,230 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura the Highland Hussy
I was very disappointed in the way this book was written. I liked the way it was done state-by-state, but it sucked as far as description. There was a bland, boring telling of who saw what. There was no storytelling feel, no scary story brought to life feel.
I forced myself through it, got to Nevada, my state, and was sooo disappointed by the lack of mention of Vegas! There are so many mob murders that are local ghost stories, or Liberace, or the Rat Pack. But, nope it dealt with one ghost town.
Breanne
This book is horrible! The writing is so dry, it sounds like a textbook. This author managed to take a completely interesting subject and make it into the equivalent of eating sawdust. So NOT recommended to anybody!
Kimberley
Few books really creep me out. This one did. Can't read it before bed.
Nytetyger
From coast to coast, and Canada thrown in—a book filled with the amusing and creepy things that haunt building and people from the 1700’s to the present. It was a lovely read for October, and I’m keeping a copy for those times I need a wee bit of creepy to share, or for when I’m planning a trip and want to see if there is somewhere spooky nearby!

Andrew Willson
This is one of the longer ghost story collections I've come across and has an amazing selection of stories from all across the US and then into Canada. The vast majority were ones that were unique compared to the several other collections I have and that is always the best to find a few you recognize and then meet many new spirits, be they friend or foe.
Alex Klimkewicz
Collection of "real" ghost stories from around North America. Most of them are not very scary and mostly just anecdotal stories or territorial tall tales. Some are written as histories and others are more like narratives rather than newspaper reports. Interesting, but not extremely memorable.
Thom Foolery
More of the same sort of "true" ghost stories recounted in Norman and Scott's Haunted Heartland and Haunted America .
Sara
I hate to stay it, because this book is a valuable record of different historic (read: non-active) hauntings, but it's a bit dry. I made it half through before I skimmed it.
Takipsilim
A dip from the quality of "Haunted America" particularly as some stories from the aforementioned title are used once again in this tome. The book is still a fine read nonetheless.
Amy
I liked it. It had some fun and interesting tidbits of American history and geography. I especially liked realizing that I had driven through some of the places mentioned.
Heather
I read this as a child. It was interesting, there were some "scary" stories, but overall kind of bland. Interesting though, none-the-less.
Jewelz
Jun 24, 2007 Jewelz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes ghost stories from the past!
This book about historical ghost stories as early as the 15th century or earlier...also in later years...very interesting!!
Jenn
Not my thing. Barely made through Arizona. Zzzzz...
Linda
Mixed bag of ghostly goings on.Enjoyed it.
Natalie
Fun stories to dip into periodically.
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Meghann
Meghann marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Nancy Householder
Nancy Householder marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Samantha Grillo
Samantha Grillo marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Amy Miller
Amy Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Debbie Buchanan
Debbie Buchanan marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Fatima Dobbs
Fatima Dobbs marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Supernatural Locations
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond
  • Encyclopedia of Haunted Places: Ghostly Locales from Around the World
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, and True Tales
  • The Uninvited: The True Story of the Union Screaming House
  • The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
  • The Bell Witch: An American Haunting
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written
More about Michael Norman...
Haunted America Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories Haunted Wisconsin Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends