Historic Haunted America

Historic Haunted America

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  649 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Historic Haunted America is an engrossing investigation into North American ghost legends, a comprehensive documenting yesterday and today's most shocking hauntings in the United States and Canada.

From the ghost-ridden forts in Old Tucson to the "Inn of the 17 Ghosts" near Philadelphia, from the haunted plantations of Louisiana and Georgia to a haunted community playhouse
Published October 15th 1996 by Tor Books (first published October 1st 1995)

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsFire of Stars and Dragons by Melissa PetreshockBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalLover Avenged by J.R. Ward
Best Paranormal Books-Nonfiction and Fiction
72nd out of 312 books — 174 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
336th out of 616 books — 893 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura the Highland Hussy
I was very disappointed in the way this book was written. I liked the way it was done state-by-state, but it sucked as far as description. There was a bland, boring telling of who saw what. There was no storytelling feel, no scary story brought to life feel.
I forced myself through it, got to Nevada, my state, and was sooo disappointed by the lack of mention of Vegas! There are so many mob murders that are local ghost stories, or Liberace, or the Rat Pack. But, nope it dealt with one ghost town....more
Kimberley
Few books really creep me out. This one did. Can't read it before bed.
Nytetyger
From coast to coast, and Canada thrown in—a book filled with the amusing and creepy things that haunt building and people from the 1700’s to the present. It was a lovely read for October, and I’m keeping a copy for those times I need a wee bit of creepy to share, or for when I’m planning a trip and want to see if there is somewhere spooky nearby!

Andrew Willson
This is one of the longer ghost story collections I've come across and has an amazing selection of stories from all across the US and then into Canada. The vast majority were ones that were unique compared to the several other collections I have and that is always the best to find a few you recognize and then meet many new spirits, be they friend or foe.
Alex Klimkewicz
Collection of "real" ghost stories from around North America. Most of them are not very scary and mostly just anecdotal stories or territorial tall tales. Some are written as histories and others are more like narratives rather than newspaper reports. Interesting, but not extremely memorable.
Thom Foolery
More of the same sort of "true" ghost stories recounted in Norman and Scott's Haunted Heartland and Haunted America .
Breanne
This book is horrible! The writing is so dry, it sounds like a textbook. This author managed to take a completely interesting subject and make it into the equivalent of eating sawdust. So NOT recommended to anybody!
Sara
I hate to stay it, because this book is a valuable record of different historic (read: non-active) hauntings, but it's a bit dry. I made it half through before I skimmed it.
Takipsilim
A dip from the quality of "Haunted America" particularly as some stories from the aforementioned title are used once again in this tome. The book is still a fine read nonetheless.
Amy
I liked it. It had some fun and interesting tidbits of American history and geography. I especially liked realizing that I had driven through some of the places mentioned.
Heather
I read this as a child. It was interesting, there were some "scary" stories, but overall kind of bland. Interesting though, none-the-less.
Jewelz
Jun 24, 2007 Jewelz rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who likes ghost stories from the past!
This book about historical ghost stories as early as the 15th century or earlier...also in later years...very interesting!!
Jenn
Not my thing. Barely made through Arizona. Zzzzz...
Linda
Mixed bag of ghostly goings on.Enjoyed it.
Natalie
Fun stories to dip into periodically.
Lindsey Barnhill
Lindsey Barnhill marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Steph Moyer
Steph Moyer marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Veronica Fritsch
Veronica Fritsch marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Carla Gomes
Carla Gomes marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Ghosts Caught On Film
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
  • The Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories
  • The Bell Witch: An American Haunting
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • The Haunted: One Family's Nightmare
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written...more
More about Michael Norman...
Haunted America Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories Haunted Wisconsin Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends