Start by marking “Historic Haunted America” as Want to Read:
Historic Haunted America

Historic Haunted America

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  959 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Historic Haunted America is an engrossing investigation into North American ghost legends, a comprehensive documenting yesterday and today's most shocking hauntings in the United States and Canada.

From the ghost-ridden forts in Old Tucson to the "Inn of the 17 Ghosts" near Philadelphia, from the haunted plantations of Louisiana and Georgia to a haunted community playhouse
Published October 15th 1996 by Tor Books (first published October 1st 1995)

One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostMoon Called by Patricia BriggsSOMETHING IN THE WOODS IS TAKING PEOPLE. by Stephen   YoungThe Rise of the Phoenix by Mason SabreBloodlines by Lindsay Anne Kendal
Best Paranormal Books-Nonfiction and Fiction
93rd out of 467 books — 239 voters
Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost by Tom WintonRoadside Revenants and Other North Carolina Ghosts and Legends by Michael RenegarTar Heel Terrors by Michael RenegarGhosts of the Triad by Michael RenegarHaunted Heritage by Michael Norman
My Top Picks
11th out of 11 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 19, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it did not like it
Shelves: d-n-f
I was very disappointed in the way this book was written. I liked the way it was done state-by-state, but it sucked as far as description. There was a bland, boring telling of who saw what. There was no storytelling feel, no scary story brought to life feel.
I forced myself through it, got to Nevada, my state, and was sooo disappointed by the lack of mention of Vegas! There are so many mob murders that are local ghost stories, or Liberace, or the Rat Pack. But, nope it dealt with one ghost town.
Breanne
Sep 09, 2012 Breanne rated it did not like it
This book is horrible! The writing is so dry, it sounds like a textbook. This author managed to take a completely interesting subject and make it into the equivalent of eating sawdust. So NOT recommended to anybody!
Kate
Sep 14, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
I love the whole collection of ghost stories by Michael Norman and Beth Scott. I don't find collections of ghost stories like this too much these days, which is a shame. While I have had trouble tracking down the authenticity of many of these stories; I'd still recommend the collection to anyone who enjoys a good ghost story.
Astrid Yrigollen
Dec 30, 2014 Astrid Yrigollen rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, nonfiction
This second book was not as good as the first but it is still interesting as an account of various people's experiences of the super natural. I no longer read this type of book ( real life is scary as it is) but when I did read it this was an interesting follow up to Haunted Heartland.
Kimberley
Mar 31, 2014 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
Few books really creep me out. This one did. Can't read it before bed.
Nytetyger
Nov 01, 2009 Nytetyger rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-challenge
From coast to coast, and Canada thrown in—a book filled with the amusing and creepy things that haunt building and people from the 1700’s to the present. It was a lovely read for October, and I’m keeping a copy for those times I need a wee bit of creepy to share, or for when I’m planning a trip and want to see if there is somewhere spooky nearby!

Andrew Willson
Feb 20, 2012 Andrew Willson rated it really liked it
This is one of the longer ghost story collections I've come across and has an amazing selection of stories from all across the US and then into Canada. The vast majority were ones that were unique compared to the several other collections I have and that is always the best to find a few you recognize and then meet many new spirits, be they friend or foe.
Alex Klimkewicz
May 23, 2012 Alex Klimkewicz rated it it was ok
Collection of "real" ghost stories from around North America. Most of them are not very scary and mostly just anecdotal stories or territorial tall tales. Some are written as histories and others are more like narratives rather than newspaper reports. Interesting, but not extremely memorable.
Jason
More of the same sort of "true" ghost stories recounted in Norman and Scott's Haunted Heartland and Haunted America .
Sara
Dec 26, 2011 Sara rated it it was ok
I hate to stay it, because this book is a valuable record of different historic (read: non-active) hauntings, but it's a bit dry. I made it half through before I skimmed it.
Takipsilim
Oct 15, 2010 Takipsilim rated it really liked it
A dip from the quality of "Haunted America" particularly as some stories from the aforementioned title are used once again in this tome. The book is still a fine read nonetheless.
Amy
Jul 11, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
I liked it. It had some fun and interesting tidbits of American history and geography. I especially liked realizing that I had driven through some of the places mentioned.
Heather
Aug 19, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
I read this as a child. It was interesting, there were some "scary" stories, but overall kind of bland. Interesting though, none-the-less.
Jewelz
Jun 24, 2007 Jewelz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes ghost stories from the past!
This book about historical ghost stories as early as the 15th century or earlier...also in later years...very interesting!!
Linda
Apr 17, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Mixed bag of ghostly goings on.Enjoyed it.
Natalie
Oct 06, 2008 Natalie rated it liked it
Fun stories to dip into periodically.
Abraham Ray
Jul 22, 2012 Abraham Ray rated it liked it
nice read!
Sean Chamberlain
Sean Chamberlain marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Raven Miller
Raven Miller rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Robert Fleming
Robert Fleming marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Jeremy Espinoza
Jeremy Espinoza rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Katie Nichols
Katie Nichols marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Cynthia Pena
Cynthia Pena marked it as to-read
Jesse R Rodriguez
Jesse R Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Becky Tress
Becky Tress marked it as to-read
Laura Brown
Laura Brown rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Amy Moore
Amy Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
lacrisa goetz
lacrisa goetz rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Don't Call Them Ghosts: The Spirit Children of Fontaine Manse
  • The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions, and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written
More about Michael Norman...