Start by marking “Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)” as Want to Read:
Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)

Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #7)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  12,226 ratings  ·  317 reviews
All is not well in the Letherii Empire. Rhulad Sengar, the Emperor of a Thousand Deaths, spirals into madness, surrounded by sycophants and agents of his Machiavellian chancellor, while the Letherii secret police conduct a campaign of terror against its own people. The Errant, once a farseeing god, is suddenly blind to the future. Conspiracies seethe throughout the palace, ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Bantam Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Reaper's Gale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reaper's Gale

David Sven
Initial Read

Another solid entry in the Malazan Series. In this 7th book we have a convergence of story arcs started in "Midnight Tides" as well as "The Bonehunters" and throw in a couple more that nobody really cares about and adds a couple hundred unnecessary pages and you have another epic adventure with its unique brand that is The Malazan Series.

So here we have the rebel Bonehunters having escaped from Malaz appointing themselves as the avengers of the Edur/Letherii atrocities committed on
Rob
Executive Summary: After what has to be my favorite of the series The Bonehunters, this one is a big letdown. Too many new characters really bog the story down for far too long, but it ends strong enough to save it from being a bad book.

Full Review
This book seems to take everything about Midnight Tides and ramp it up. Unlike that book however, I didn't find myself confused and frustrated at the beginning. I was simply uninterested. So unlike Midnight Tides where I enjoyed the story once I got
Traci
Done. Finally. This one took me awhile. I learned a few things with this book. Number one, I didn't have the stamina for a marathon Malazan reading. I think I sprained something in my brain in the attempt. I also learned that while Steven Erikson is a master of writing tragedy I don't care for his over the top humor. With a few exceptions, I do love Tehol and Bugg. And that hidden beneath this dark tale hides the heart of a romantic. And an author who can write male friendships like no one else ...more
Geoff
Another really good entry into the Malazan series. There's a lot of good stuff going on in this book. The impending champion duels and the political situation in Letheras are standout plotlines. And once the Malazans show up on the continent the pace of the story really picks up. Even the group searching for a long lost soul has some interesting parts. The Awl vs Lether war seems a little out of place but maybe there is more going on there than I realize.

I think there a lot of great characters
Jonathan
I can see that the overarching story might add up to a wonderful jigsaw, but Erikson is a demented pounder of the keyboard, someone needs to edit him savagely, take away his computer and make him write longhand. He has long since lost control of his creation. As Stalin may have said 'Quantity has a Quality all of its own', it pounds your mind into numbed submission as you trudge towards the slopes of Mount Doom, bearing the ring of steadily reducing expectations.

After 500 pages of this the 7th M
Mike
With Reaper's Gale we have the convergence of the plot lines from Midnight Tides (probably my favorite one so far) and The Bonehunters. As I stated in my Bonehunters review, I thought it was mostly a book about getting pieces into a place, and boy did those movements pay off. We get a clash of the now Edur dominated (or is it!?!?!?!) Letherii Empire and the rag tag army of the Bonehunters. On top of that we still have Tehol Benedict and his loyal manservant Bugg running about committing a brilli ...more
Dara
When I first started Reaper's Gale, I was apprehensive. I knew a few people who said it wasn't that good compared with the rest of the series and they really struggled with it. I knew it picked up from Midnight Tides, my least favorite of the series so far. I ended up loving Reaper's Gale. Perhaps part of that is understanding how things work on Lether, being familiar with the characters, and how the storylines begin to converge with characters from Seven Cities.

This book weaves together storyli
Nate
Nov 05, 2014 Nate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Fuck it, I'm too distracted and/or dumb to continue with this series at this point.
Duffy Pratt
05/21/12 - We've passed the point in the series where it makes much sense to be reviewing individual books. On its own, this book probably doesn't hold up too well. In some ways, the structure did not feel as tight as some others. But that may just be because Erikson seems to rely less on big set pieces here than he has in other books. And once again, this book features almost everything I like and dislike about Erikson. There's still great humor, a fine sense of tragedy, great characters, and m ...more
Kris
Book seven of the Malazan series brings several plot lines together that have been moving along separately for 3 or 4 books. This book really pushed me to remember some of the various secondary characters that Erickson uses so liberally in this series. I think he really is hitting his stride as a writer in this series as there were numerous occasions that elicited some genuine emotion as the characters were facing the myriad challenges that the author throws in to their path. The pacing at times ...more
Twerking To Beethoven
With every installment of this series, I become more and more impressed.

Erikson writes epic fantasy on a level all his own. The world is massive and engaging. It is at once believable and yet otherworldly, creating a fusion of worlds that leaves your jaw hanging. I am amazed at how well he writes the characters and holds such a complex and huge story together, with each book at least 900-1000 pages.

In "Reaper's Gale" we finally see the two worlds, the Malazan and the Letherii, finally begin to
Zayne

Awesome Awesome Awesome! This was one hell of a book. I was a little nervous coming into this book since I heard from a few people that this was not a very good Malazan novel, but, man, like the other Malazan novels, this one was filled with adventure, suspense, action, humor, and grief. I entertained the whole way through. In this book, the Lether and Malazan arcs finally collided into one hell of a tale, and though it was really cool, the only problem I had was this created so many pl
Lori (Hellian)
I love this series. Just love it. Onto bk 8! I'm already freaking out that I'm now caught up with the released books and have to wait for the final 2. That will be torture. I'm agitated just thinking about that. I think that alone says enough for this review - that I've been living mostly on this series with just a few breaks since Thanksgiving. And these are dense, very long hard books to read but I can't get enough.

Brilliant. In fact, when enough time has passed I have a strong feeling that th
Gar
I've just started this the other night, but I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this volume of the series will include several incidents of coruscating waves of chaotic elder sorcery tearing faceless unnamed characters into confetti and several unkillable-by-plot-decree characters wading through enemies.

Later, upon completion: I can predict the future!
Patrick
I like this series. It has its faults (which I'll get to in a minute), but the author has created a rich, deep world with a complex history and mythology, and he's populated it with a legion of characters, some of whom are genuinely likable. I keep reading because I'm definitely interested in what happens next.

That said....

Holy crap, is this series long. This book was over 1200 pages, and is representative of the others. The characters are often similarly named and difficult to tell apart, and t
Jeffrey
Steven Erikson is a phenomenal writer. His world is unique and fresh, with fully realized characters, that all have a unique and compelling story to tell. All of these people fill a world complete with it's own history, age upon age, that pulls the reader in, wanting to discover more. It's a continuing tale of worlds ending, and new ones being born.
The central world that the myriad of characters that have been introduced over the series, live in, is the cornerstone for the outlying planes of ex
Kalin
Засега остава без оценка. Нека първо прочета следващите и да преценя оправдават ли толкова жестокост.

Шантих...

(view spoiler)

Ето и впечатленията ми, в хронологичен ред:

~ В Малазанската поредица няма първо-, второ- и третостепенни герои. Всеки е важен колкото всички останали. Дори да се появяват само
Nev Percy
What would I say now that I haven't probably said about Books 1-6?

I'm pretty well tuned in to Erikson's style now, and enough of the characters are already known from previous volumes that there aren't too many new ones to accommodate, so it gets into my head more easily than the first ones did.

The first half all rather washed over me. Stuff was building, and quite eventful enough along the way, but not quite engaging my full excitement.

But I must admit, some of the characters were a bit blurry
Marina
There's a common trait in all of Erikson's books: the multiple local plots, that seem to be drawn by common underlying factor(s) (Crippled God etc.), brilliantly interwoven into an epic end - a convergence that is breathtaking in each book. That makes it impossible to put the book down once you reach the last couple hundred pages. A storytelling that reaches millenia back and really creates a wonderful adventure. Both in the book, and in my mind as I try to remember what had happened three books ...more
Shauna Reitsma
This one was a chore to get through. Not nearly as bad as Deadhouse Gates, which will remain the worst in the series, as far as I'm concerned. The Karsa parts are pretty badass, and the parts with Fiddler, Beak, and Feather Witch were good, but the rest was, in the immortal words of Simon Cowell, forgettable. It's probably beating a dead horse at this point to mention the overwrought descriptives at this point, but I'll mention it all the same. Overall not bad, but not great.

I find it interestin
Evgeny
The book returns to events in Midnight Tides, namely conquest of Lethery Empire by Tiste Edur. Nobody (including the conquerors) is particularly happy about the results. On the top of this are the Bonehunters led by Adjunct Tavore with the mission of toppling of the current Empire. The combination of all of these leads to (supposedly) explosive conclusion.

This is probably the first book where I am still not sure about the rating. It is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, so let us say 3.5 with 0.5
Adam
It was, indeed, amazing!!!
First, it tied together the Malazan side of the story and the Letheri side of the story.
Second, it had the marines doing what they were meant to do!
Third, it had Hellian (who is quickly growing to be one of my favorite characters), Fiddler, Tehol Beddict, and Karsa Orlong ALL IN ONE BOOK.
Fourth, some secrets are revealed...
Fifth, Shadowthrone & Cottillion are still the masters of deceit.
Sixth, 'twas hilarious.
Seventh, it definitely wasn't even close to as weird as
Luisa
iowashdoiasudoiausdioaueowihjfojs OMG

Everything is converging on this book. All the other books start to merge and make a lot more sense! lol :)
I love that some of my favorite characters are back, and they're crossing paths, or might be anyhow. It was an awesome book! Huge, took me forever, but worth it! :)
Taking a little break now from the series as the books are huge but I'll be back. I need to know what happens to the awesome Bonehunters and the few remaining Bridgeburners! As well as TEHOOOO
Leydhen
Maravilloso.

Empieza a cerrarse el círculo y los personajes que antes aparecían dispersos ne distintos libros sin cruzarse jamás por fin confluyen y parece que toman posiciones hacia el conflicto final (aunque quizás, sabiendo que quedan otros tres libros y que ninguno bajará de las 700 páginas, es demasiado pronto para decir eso. Todavía puede pasar de todo).

Letherii, tiste edur, algún que otro tiste andii perdido, varios dioses ancestrales, un puñado de soletakens de forma dragontina... y mal
Jon Snow
So, this was the first book in a LONG time that actually made me cry. Twice. In a space of about 50 pages. Good job, Mr Erikson, good job.
Will
The Reaper’s Gale by Steven Erikson is a long book – the paperback is almost 1300 pages – but if you’ve reached book 7 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen I’m assuming length is no issue for you.

Erikson’s world building is as ever truly expansive, particularly now with extensive, and explosive, interaction between the peoples of Letheras, and its surrounds, and the Malazan Empire. The recounted journeys of the questing Letherii and Edur give the reader a real sense of just how vast this world is
Search
One of the very best installments! funny, fun and intense. AWESOME!
Lady*M
After seven books in The Malazan Book of the Fallen and nine books in the shared Erikson/Esslemont world, it is really hard to write a coherent review. The world is too wast, the characters too many, the narrative too complex. So, here is a meager attempt.

This is a book of tragedies and reunions. And, some reunions end up in tragedies. In a world where death does not necessarily spell the end, death can still cut deep - characters and reader alike. Among the deaths in this book one stands out -
Jonathan
** THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1-7 **

This is the seventh book in the Malazan series and the second book set in the continent of Letheras, home of the ham-fisted allegory to capitalism which is the Letherii Empire.

The book is basically comprised of the following plot threads:

1. Drene. This part of the story takes us to Drene and the Letharii war against the Awl. This whole thing could have been cut away entirely. The whole Redmask campaign story arc with its accompanying cast of ch
Newton Nitro
E sigo em frente com uma das séries mais revolucionárias da literatura de fantasia contemporânea. Malazan é um desafio literário, uma série de fantasia que quebra todas as barreiras entre a dita “alta literatura” e a literatura de gênero de fantasia. Steven Erickson é um “assimilacionista”, incorporando os desenvolvimentos do que se costumava chamar de “literatura pós-moderna” dentro do gênero de fantasia, e com isso, criando algo novo e desafiador.

Um aviso, como sempre em minhas resenhas, evite
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Twelve - No Spoilers 17 61 Mar 14, 2015 02:33PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Eleven - No Spoilers 23 63 Mar 14, 2015 01:59PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Nine - No Spoilers 32 63 Feb 22, 2015 12:57PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Seven - No Spoilers 39 64 Feb 21, 2015 08:08PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Six - No Spoilers 18 58 Feb 21, 2015 07:56PM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Four - No Spoilers 14 60 Feb 21, 2015 08:51AM
The Malazan Fallen: RG - Chapter Three - No Spoilers 22 65 Feb 20, 2015 08:27PM
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (Malazan Empire, #2)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2)
  • Water Sleeps (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #8)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • Kings of Morning (The Macht, #3)
Steven Erikson is the pseudonym of Steve Rune Lundin, a Canadian novelist, who was educated and trained as both an archaeologist and anthropologist. His best-known work is the on-going series, the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

More about Steven Erikson...

The Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books)
  • Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
  • Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #6)
  • Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • The Crippled God (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #10)
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3) House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)

“I am here to arrest your manservant. The one named Bugg.’

‘Oh, now really, his cooking isn’t that bad.”
20 likes
“No-one chooses me. I do not give anyone that right. I am Karsa Orlong of the Teblor. All choices belong to me.” 11 likes