Start by marking “Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge: The Ultimate Guide to Mastery, with Authentic Recipes and Stories” as Want to Read:

Winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for International Cooking

The stir-fry is all things: refined, improvisational, adaptable, and inventive. It is the rare culinary practice that makes less seem like more, and by which small amounts of food feed many.

For centuries the Chinese have carried their woks to all corners of the earth and re-created stir-fry dishes, us

Published May 4th 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published April 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge

Love Soup by Anna ThomasGood Meat by Deborah KrasnerThe Blue Chair Jam Cookbook by Rachel SaundersThe River Cottage Meat Book by Hugh Fearnley-WhittingstallReal Cajun by Donald Link
James Beard Award Cookbooks
12th out of 101 books — 19 voters
Chocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Food-Related Fiction
267th out of 419 books — 517 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
Nov 25, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Grace Young's cook books are always good. I learned Chinese cooking from Grace Young's The Breath of a Wok: Breath of a Wok. My family doesn't leave any leftovers when I cook one of Young's recipes.

This book, Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, is just what it advertises. It is an in-depth, exhaustive treatise on stir-frying. If there is anything to be said about stir-frying, this book says it, and it leaves nothing out.

If you're only going to buy one of Young's books, I recommend The Breath of a Wok
Anthony
Jul 30, 2016 Anthony rated it liked it
Shelves: china, cooking
Mostly skimmed through the recipes. The book is a great primer on cooking with a wok - it explains the different types of woks, how to season and maintain a wok, and the general process behind stir frying. The recipes seem to have a Cantonese/Chinese-American influence (disappointing to me, as I was hoping to find more Northern-style dishes). I'm reading through The Breath of a Wok and so far I would recommend that over this book
Cecilia Adame
Sep 16, 2014 Cecilia Adame rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook and recommend highly to anyone who is interested in learning how to make anything stir fried. I initially bought this book because my local Chinese cafe closed and I really liked their chow mein so I decided to buy a cookbook to learn about the spices to use. I had tried stir fry before but was not happy with the soggy veggies that resulted by using my non stick Calphalon wok I had purchased five or so years ago.

Between this book and "Breath of a Wok" also by Grace Young I l
John Beverley
Nov 02, 2014 John Beverley rated it really liked it
If you want to make authentic Chinese stir fry, this is your book. A few caveats: stir fryer and high BTU heat source are critical (doesn't work well with electrics or non-sticks), must use fresh ingredients from real ethnic markets, sauces and cooking wines make for very salty end results, many steps must be executed quickly with impeccable timing, be careful not to burn yourself. For all the time, money, and trouble, you're probably better off going to a high end Chinese restaurant. Makes a gr ...more
Steven
Apr 28, 2011 Steven rated it it was amazing
Who reads cookbooks? Well, I do sometimes. I'm a reasonably good cook and I really enjoy good food. I lived in Taiwan for two years back in the mid '70s and I have been trying for 35 years to recreate the elusive flavors I remember. This book finally allowed me to do that. Grace Young defined the subtle, quintessential something that I had been missing as "wok hay" and her book taught me how to capture it.

The recipes are fabulous, but the greatest value of this book for me (besides the revelatio
DK Simoneau
Dec 31, 2014 DK Simoneau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-i-like
I went on a stir-fry kick awhile back, and this was THE book that made it last for so long. Everything we tried came out wonderful. Well written, well documented with steps and picture. A Great great cookbook on stir-fry for sure! Had to buy two copies so at my partner's house we could use it too!
Shirley
Jun 12, 2016 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowledge of equipment and dedication to stir fry cooking was amazing. A novice cook would become an expert with this book and if possible individual lessons from this author.
Shaima
Sep 26, 2011 Shaima rated it liked it

This is the book that is teaching me to stir-fry. So far, it's been great, with lots of tips about seasoning the wok and prepping meats and vegetables the proper way. I wish I hadn't purchased the Kindle version, though, because I'm not finding the ebook cookbook experience very satisfying.

I've finished the book and the 5 recipes I've followed have turned out well. I've had only decent luck using recipes as inspiration. The book's organization works fairly well as an instructional manual, but n
Marilyn
Mar 31, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cooks!
Yum! Excellent pictures and really decent recipes. I need to buy a new wok so I will follow the author's sage advice on what to get.
Leslie Ziesing
Good recipes, ingredients are easy to fins.
Rob Weaver
Jan 15, 2015 Rob Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on stir frying.
Maggie
Jan 28, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent cookbook. Every recipe I've tried from it so far has been easy to follow and has resulted in delicious, authentic meals. What I like best, though, is how thoroughly Young discusses all the basic ingredients of Chinese cooking, explains (in words and pictures) basic knife skills for different preparations, and covers proper cleaning and care of a wok. I got this book for Christmas, and already I've learned so much from it. I highly recommend it.
Ryan
Dec 28, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it
Another good "wok" book by Grace Young. This one contains a variety of wok recipes interlaced with personal stories about native Chinese who adapted their cooking as immigrants to countries around the world. Young is intrigued by the Chinese cooks' way of adapting stir-fry to local ingredients and tools.

I've tried out the recipes for fried rice and broccoli beef (rookie recipes according to Young) and they were a big hit at our house.
Maria
Mar 16, 2015 Maria rated it liked it
ok
Valerie
Jun 17, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Debbie, Tori,
Recommended to Valerie by: Fine Cooking
Shelves: cookbooks
All of the information about stir-frying, chinese immigrants adapting to new foods, and keeping their traditions alive while forging new ones was fascinating. I will wait on the final star until after I try some of the dishes. One that intrigues me involves stir-frying bagels...I'll certainly try that one.
Melissa
Apr 20, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Grace's cookbooks are a beautiful compilation of food, recipes, and history. Her recipes in this book are fail-safe; I never made a good stirfry before I owned this book, and now mine are always great! Highly recommend. She is a wonderful writer, and a gracious person.
Feb 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Every recipe I have made from this book has been super delicious. Easy to follow and as long as you have all of the ingredients explained at the beginning of the book, you can cook hundreds of yummy things. I love my wok!
Lauran
Sep 01, 2011 Lauran rated it really liked it
Only made two recipes so far, but both turned out better than my randomness. Easy directions and really good intro explanations about wok cooking. Now I just need a suitable wok.
Helen
Apr 03, 2016 Helen rated it liked it
Good intro to using a wok, stir frying, and using authentic Chinese ingredients.
Julia
Feb 07, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing
Brought my Chinese cooking up a whole notch. Husband would rather eat this than eat out.
Feb 14, 2012 Laura marked it as to-read
Heard her speak at the Roger Smith Cookbook Conference 2012
Neil
May 23, 2013 Neil marked it as to-read
Northborough Free Library 641.774 YOU
Ethan P
Ethan P marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Anthony Waldrop
Anthony Waldrop marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Franqui Jones
Franqui Jones rated it it was amazing
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
K G
K G is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • Vietnamese Home Cooking
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Every Grain Of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
  • Oaxaca Al Gusto: An Infinite Gastronomy
  • 660 Curries
  • Cooking
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
There is more than one author with this name
More about Grace Young...