Start by marking “Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions” as Want to Read:
Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions

Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions

The celebration of Japan’s vegan and vegetarian traditions begins with kansha—appreciation—an expression of gratitude for nature’s gifts and the efforts and ingenuity of those who transform nature’s bounty into marvelous food. The spirit of kansha, deeply rooted in Buddhist philosophy and practice, encourages all cooks to prepare nutritionally sound and aesthetically satis ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Kansha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kansha

Daniella
Apr 11, 2011 Daniella rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the finest cookbook Ive ever read. Granted this may be because I am biased towards Japanese cooking and vegetarian recipes, but Andoh explains pretty much everything in striking detail and boasts wonderful pictures (we all know thats what makes a good cookbook GREAT). But seriously, reading this (and cooking from it in the past months at least once a week) has proven to be itself a cooking class with Andoh. Here's hoping one day I'll be able to take one of hers in Japan...

This book is
Rachel
The principle reasoning of this cookbook I really enjoyed, namely that Kansha is an appreciation of nature and the food it provides and this cookbook is supposed to "encourage all cooks to prepare nutritionally sound and aesthetically satisfying meals that avoid waste (inside front flap, Andoh)," which I think is a great idea. The author gives the example of using an entire daikon radish, from the trimmings and leafy top to the entire part of the root itself. The author is an American who moved ...more
Tisha
Aug 04, 2011 Tisha rated it liked it
Apparently I need pictures, not words, to sell me on a cookbook. This book had too many words (stories, explanations, etc) and not enough photos for me to get too interested.
Leigh
Mar 05, 2017 Leigh rated it really liked it
loooooveeeeeee itttt...!!! :-)
Arlian
Aug 12, 2014 Arlian rated it liked it
3.5 stars, really.

I liked the concept of this book--traditionally vegan Japanese food? Yes, please! But I feel like this book wasn't really sure who its audience was, so it was a little all over the place.

For example, the author makes a point to use mostly Japanese terms and ingredient names (like, she gives the Japanese names for shredding, mincing, salt, soy sauce, bamboo shoots, etc etc). However, her romaji is weird--I believe it's the Hepburn-Shiki, not the Nihon-Shiki or the Kurei-Shiki.
Drmarion
Dec 29, 2016 Drmarion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE Book to learn Traditional Vegan Japanese cooking

This book is a compendium of delicious traditional Japanese recipes and techniques. I have studied and cooked from Elizabeth Andoh's books for close to 30 years. Read so many other books and authors on Japanese cuisine, but always, always return to Elizabeth Andoh's. She teaches you how to prepare this food in the Japanese manner. This is not just a bunch of recipes-it's a master class in Japanese food preparation. Healthy, vibrant food that is
Margaret Heller
Jan 18, 2011 Margaret Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Over the past few years my husband and I have wanted to learn more about Japanese cooking. This was our first real foray into learning something beyond miso soup. I loved this book--as a cookbook I did not read it cover to cover, but the whole introduction, list of ingredients, and cooked various recipes in the book. This style of cooking is very different than I am used to. There is an emphasis on care and thought about how the whole meal will be presented and with balanced color, texture, tast ...more
Timothy Ferguson
Jan 28, 2015 Timothy Ferguson rated it really liked it
This beautiful book is based on the Buddhist vegetarian tradition. It isn’t as finicky as you might expect, because it reflects a monastic tradition based on simplicity. Indeed, in certain forms, this tradition is based on cooking ingredients gathered by begging. The visual composition of the book is bright and modern. Highly recommended for vegetarian cooks.

This review was first posted on book coasters
Samantha Arias
Aug 27, 2013 Samantha Arias rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This cook book is filled with simple vegan and vegetarian Japanese meals(mostly vegan). The dishes are simple and quick to cook up. It's all about celebrating the flavors of nature and cooking in season. There's no complicated dishes with 100 different ingredients. There's just enough to add flavor with out over powering the dish. The vegetables are the star and the dishes make them shine.
Nicole
Mar 08, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
I'm not sure how to rate cookbooks but I literally want to eat all of the pictures so that's probably a good sign. I'll try a recipe this weekend.
Yodamom
Jun 26, 2012 Yodamom rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
An excellent vegetarian cookbook for Japanese cuisine. Easy to use and filled with beautiful pictures.
Olrun Bjarnylr
Apr 23, 2014 Olrun Bjarnylr rated it liked it
Interesting but too...something. I feel indifferent to the book overall.
Autumn
Oct 11, 2011 Autumn rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, japan
Only if you are super hardcore. But if you are, all the information is right here. I recognize that this is a spectacular book, I'm just way too lazy to use any of the ideas in practice.
Maya
Nov 20, 2013 Maya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paperback
Drool worthy. Absolutely gorgeous photography. I'm working on assembling some of the ingredients as they are not standard fare in my area.
Elisabeth (Enthralled by the Written Word)
Pretty fantastic recipes and a neat look at a certain culture of food in Japan.
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Lavanya
Lavanya rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Michael Snider
Michael Snider rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Geoffrey Staysniak
Geoffrey Staysniak rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Chrysanthemum T
Chrysanthemum T rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Brandie
Brandie rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Kate Cubitt
Kate Cubitt rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2017
Holi Bats
Holi Bats rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Kewpie
Kewpie rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2010
xDEAD ENDx
xDEAD ENDx rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2012
Jannina Guzmán
Jannina Guzmán rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
hissi
hissi rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Shulamis
Shulamis rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2012
Annietaylor
Annietaylor rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Asian Vegan Kitchen: Authentic and Appetizing Dishes from a Continent of Rich Flavors
  • Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional: Simple, Delicious, and Vegan
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
  • The Tropical Vegan Kitchen: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Dishes from the Tropics
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • The Indian Vegan Kitchen: More Than 150 Quick and Healthy Homestyle Recipes
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare Straight from the Produce Aisle
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Caribbean Vegan: Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Authentic Island Cuisine for Every Occasion
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen