Start by marking “The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It! Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite” as Want to Read:
The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions: Veganize It!  Foolproof Methods for Transforming Any Dish into a Delicious New Vegan Favorite

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Veganize Any Recipe with Confidence!

The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions is your secret weapon to turning any recipe imaginable into a deliciously “veganized” success—no guesswork or hard labor involved. And no more kitchen failures or recipe flops either. Simply look up whatever non-vegan ingredient you want to sub out, and expert author team Celine Steen and Jo
Published December 1st 2010 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions

Lisa Vegan
Dec 28, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all vegans & those allergic or with other special diets who want healthier & inventive food
Recommended to Lisa by: Jo
This fabulous, attractive and wonderfully organized book was a welcome Christmas present from my friend Terri. Thanks Terri! The book was on my to-read shelf, but it probably would not have been available at the library, and this is a book I want to have on hand as a reference tool. This is going in a handy to reach place in my kitchen. I’m thrilled to own it.

Wow! Even though I’m not interested in many of the recipes (most of the meat substitutes for instance) this gets 5 full stars from me beca
Deb
Oct 01, 2011 Deb rated it really liked it
This is a great little reference book for finding substitutions for mot only meat, eggs and dairy, but also alternatives to processed sugar, soy products, gluten and fat. Helpful in adding more knowledge to cooking vegan food. It's also full of recipes like the Choco PB Sauce which was pretty darn tasty.

Here's a link to that recipe: http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...
Monika
Mar 18, 2011 Monika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Instant powdered vegan/gluten free mac & cheese mix {just add alt milk or water). Enough said.
Aryne Hornsby
Feb 22, 2014 Aryne Hornsby rated it really liked it
I had mixed feelings about this book. The book has many substitute ideas, but also many recipes, which the title doesn't give away if u are ordering online or browse first( and the recipes all look/ sound great!) I like that the recipes are labeled as wheat free, gluten free, more experienced cooks etc- always a plus and nice to know if you need to accommodate someone with diet restrictions. I don't like that many of the substitutions call for store bought products- if you live outside of N. Ame ...more
Susan Empizo Vega
Apr 12, 2011 Susan Empizo Vega rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love love love this book. This book is great for the former meat eater who misses the textures, tastes and smells of things non-vegan foods. The recipes are pretty easy to follow and most of the ingredients are readily available.
Granted, the egg salad recipe won't taste exactly like egg salad, but it's not bad. And the "pepperoni" is more like spicy ground beef. But the Western Bacon Cheeseburger - that was pretty good.
Karen
Sep 29, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
I think any cook would be interested in this book! This book has lots of substitution and other information in it. Out of eggs? Well there are several options for substitutions to choose from!
I think I will learn a lot about cooking in general from this book. I also love that they give you several recipes showing you how to use the substitutions and how to play with recipes!
Marjorie
This is a must have book if you are vegan and you like to cook. This is the best and most helpful cookbook for vegans that I have ever read. It is set up in a very user-friendly manner with color-coded sections for each substitution section. Do you need to substitute for eggs? Go to the orange section. Honey substitutions? Blue. BAM! So easy!

Each section starts out with a chart for easy substitution finding and follows with recipes that explain the different methods of substitutions. The recipes
Cailia
May 26, 2014 Cailia rated it really liked it
A lot of practical substitutions for those transitioning to a plant based diet and those looking to cut back on the meat, eggs, dairy and other animal byproducts that they consume. It covers meat replacements, egg and dairy substitutions and alternatives to honey and gelatin for cooking and baking. A chapter on gluten substitutions is also included for those with Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) and Celiac Disease. While I don't refer to this book often, it's good to have on the shelves and ...more
Geanna
Apr 13, 2011 Geanna rated it really liked it
This is a really clever book, and very helpful - it has substitutions for everything and plenty of recipes that are easy.
Robin Edman
Nov 29, 2011 Robin Edman rated it really liked it
Not only are the substitution suggestions viable and pleasing, but the recipes are amazing! Bursting with flavor!
Trevor
Jul 12, 2013 Trevor rated it really liked it
Wonderful and very practical guide for substituting vegan ingredients for non-vegan ingredients as well as substituting one set of vegan ingredients for another set of vegan ingredients (i.e. your pantry doesn't have some ingredients and you need to get creative or you want to avoid certain ingredients [i.e. gluten, soy, processed sugars]). Includes some recipes for making your own substitutes as well as annotated recipes where they put a wide variety of substitutions to practice. Although the b ...more
Svenja
Aug 27, 2013 Svenja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Ein weiteres Geburtstagsgeschenk mit dem Motto der veganen Ernährungsumstellung. Dieses Kochbuch ist nicht nur voller Rezepte, sondern auch von Informationen. Anders als die anderen ist es nicht nach Frühstück / Mittag / Abendessen / Nachtisch sortiert, sondern nach Ohne Milch / ohne Käse / ohne Ei / etc. Damit kann man sich ein gutes Bild der Ersatzmöglichkeiten machen, aber auch verstehen was diese Umstellung beinhaltet, nämlich ein Umdenken. Je nach Funktion (z.B. fluffig machen oder binden) ...more
Terri
This book is really good and has some fantastic recipes. I just expected it to be more of a guide than it is and I have been surprised by other books more. Still a really good reference that just might make its way onto my list of must buy books :)
Fishface
Jan 16, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
An outstanding book, with all kinds of idea, recipes and solutions in it. I was surprised to say that they missed a few strategies, but hey, I know them already...
Erika_kartmann
Dec 29, 2014 Erika_kartmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erika_kartmann by: Anna Schlecht
Shelves: kochen-und-essen
Tolles Kochbuch mit vielen abwechslungreichen Rezepten, vielen appetitanregenden Bildern und übersichtlicher Koch-und Backanleitung.

Am Ende des Buches befinden sich kapitel, die Rezepte ohne Soja, ohne Gluten, fettarme Rezepte und Rezepte ohne Zucker vorschlagen.

Ich finde, dass das ein sehr schönes Buch ist, nur fehlen mir (gerade WEIL es ein Buch für Umsteiger und Neuveganer ist) einfache Standardrezepte.

Wenn ich drauflosgekocht habe, bin ich aber gern bereit, meine Bewertung eventuell noch ein
Iris Lee
Feb 23, 2015 Iris Lee rated it really liked it
Well presented good ideas...
Jo
Mar 24, 2013 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
Handy! A must have for adapting recipes. While its strength is mostly on the substitution side of things there are recipes too. My only niggle is with the organization of the book, the substitution charts should have been more of a focal point, and when it comes to the recipes - they are scattered throughout which can make them hard to locate (which is why my copy has lots of flag markers). Aside from that, it's a wonderful resource.
Rachel McCready-Flora
May 14, 2013 Rachel McCready-Flora rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan, food
This was the very first vegan cookbook I looked at after making the switch from vegetarian to vegan. While I haven't made many of the recipes, the substitution lists and suggestions are useful and accurate, and the recipes I did try were great. I won't lie, this isn't your healthy vegan cookbook, and I'm not sure how into veggies either of these authors are. But the recipes are full of soul and are good comfort recipes.
Jemima
Jul 29, 2015 Jemima rated it it was amazing
Incredibly useful, easy to understand, great recipes! Dream book!
Sher
Jul 04, 2013 Sher rated it it was amazing
Although this book contains recipes, it really follows through on its title as a complete guide to vegan food and substitutions. It's packed full of information both for those who are making the switch to veganism and for those who want to be well informed about the vegan diet and the use of animal byproducts.
Anita
May 22, 2012 Anita rated it liked it
I'm considering buying this title even though I'm not vegan. The substitutions make cooking for friends or family with any sort of food restriction a snap using non-exotic (usually inexpensive) swaps.
It's a reference as much as a cookbook, and I can see many reasons to have it on my cookbook shelf.
Steph
Oct 27, 2012 Steph rated it it was amazing
Love this book great help when re-learning how to cook plant based. These authors provide a great deal of science behind a lot of new and many we use everyday igrediants and what they do so you begin to understand how to use them in place of unhealthy animal products.
Crnbryeggshls
Oct 10, 2011 Crnbryeggshls rated it really liked it
This a handy reference for those new to vegan cooking. It offers easy suggestions for creating your own substitutions when you can't find them ready-made. Some of the recipes are very complicated though, which is why I'm only giving it four stars.
Ianna
Aug 16, 2013 Ianna rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Good explanations for substitutes; includes recipes, although I'm not sure I'd use many of them, they aren't quite our taste; relies on non-dairy butter substitutes and tofu a lot.
KrystelDallas
Jan 09, 2013 KrystelDallas rated it really liked it
Really great for families that have vegans and non-vegans! Also great for turning those old family recipes into something free from animal products.
Dayna
Oct 07, 2012 Dayna rated it really liked it
Shelves: earthy, food
Great for flipping through - had some nice suggestions for substitutes. Would reference this again in the future. Nice size and overall look.
Paula Liegl
May 21, 2013 Paula Liegl rated it it was amazing
Really awesome book for people who are starting out with vegan or looking for a quick guide!
Ellen
May 30, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
This too has gone into my "to buy" list. Really comprehensive guide to going vegan.
Jaq
Sep 08, 2013 Jaq rated it liked it
Another way to look at food alternatives, I found it useful and enlightening.
Aimee
Dec 25, 2011 Aimee rated it really liked it
Interesting info, some science as to why we use eggs in baking.
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan on the Cheap
  • The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life: Cruelty-Free Crafts, Recipes, Beauty Secrets and More
  • Eat Vegan on $4.00 a Day
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan Express
  • Supermarket Vegan: 225 Meat-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free Recipes for Real People in the Real World
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Get It Ripe: A Fresh Take on Vegan Cooking and Living
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Lunch Box Around the World: 125 Easy, International Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!