Start by marking “Fighting for Your Marriage: Enhancing Marriage and Preventing Divorce” as Want to Read:
Fighting for Your Marriage: Enhancing Marriage and Preventing Divorce

Fighting for Your Marriage: Enhancing Marriage and Preventing Divorce

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A thorough revision with a new DVD of couples in action, using the PREP method for strengthening marriage and avoiding divorce courtThe third edition of the best-selling classic on marriage enhancement and divorce prevention, features the latest research and changes of heart in our culture and society. New and revised, "Fighting for Your Marriage" is based on the widely ac ...more
ebook, Deluxe Revised Edition, 384 pages
Published March 18th 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published August 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Fighting for Your Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting for Your Marriage

Charity
My spouse and I attended a workshop based on this book more than a decade ago. It was put on by the company where I worked, and while it was kind of awkward to do listening exercises alongside people I was going to see on Monday, the techniques were very helpful to us. Although we've given away the book, we still have the "floor" magnet we got to remind us whose turn it is to talk when we're having a conflict.

Now that I think of it, I suppose I can't speak to how helpful the book would be withou
Carrie Chaney
Summary: Fighting for Your Marriage is like one stop shopping for techniques to better your relationship. The book is broken down into clearly labeled sections of interest, and every potential problem (and solution) a couple might face is described in great detail. Examples of troublesome (and ideal) conversations are given often, and there are plenty of "talking points" and exercises to help couples integrate this book's advice into their relationship.

Thoughts: As a newly wed, I haven't had the
Little
If you're even thinking that you might possibly need to do something about your marriage, you DO need to do something. This book is as good as any on the market for starting you on that path. Two thirds are dedicated to conflict and other bad things (because one bad event outweighs a whole host of neutral or even good events), and one third is dedicated to being friends, pumping up your enjoyment, and other good things. There are a lot of “real life” examples of somewhat questionable helpfulness ...more
Tiffany Reddick
Good book. I would recommend anyone who's married to take a look. It's really hard to communicate well at times in marriage and this book has helpful guidelines to keep the conflicts in check and working towards understanding and resolution. Not everything applies to us, and parts I can definitely skip over, but that's not so bad, just means I get through it faster. I enjoy many of its valuable lessons. I hope that more people realize the difference between "listening" and what they are "hearing ...more
Cin
I had to read this for a class, and I resented that, so my judgement on this is suspect. However, I can say that it mostly seemed to be ridiculously over-broad representations of what men and women expect from marriage, and would probably be appropriate for baby boomers and no one else.
Rachel McCready-Flora
My husband and I read through this book when we were engaged. Six years later, we still practice the techniques and refer back to it. We didn't have any big relationship problems before we were married, and I strongly believe we've avoided ugly situations and words as we use "the rules" when having difficult conversations.

I purchase this book for all friends and relatives tying the knot (along with the gift on their registry; I'm not a heartless monster) - if both partners are invested, the tech
catherine
I have never before read a self-help book, only because those kinds of books seem so vague and useless and filled with spelling mistakes and American corny rubbish.

I would recommend "Fighting for Your Marriage" for all married couples, and people who are considering or planning to get married. I'm sure that much of the advice can also be applied to other areas in your lives.

I have rated this a 4 because I read through the whole book out of desperation, and the missing star shall be filled if I m
Chad
I would recommend this book as a primer if you are looking for practical ways to improve your marriage. There were many different areas covered, so there wasn't as much depth on any certain area. Again more of an overview for marriage techniques in general.
Clark
The principles are good enough, but the style is that of a group of PhD students with a miserable sense of humor.
Michael
Admittedly, I didn't completely finish the book because it became uninteresting compared to the other books on my to-read shelf. BUT, I will say that the parts that I did read hit the nail on the head when describing problems I'm having with my girlfriend and did open my mind quite a bit. It is good to know that our problems are fairly universal, and moreover, there are fairly universal solutions to them.
Jusca
Aug 11, 2008 Jusca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all couples looking to improve on what they already do.
I really liked what this book had to say. It is a good book to read together if you are feeling like you need to revive your marriage. It has some really good advice in it. Dont think this is only for couples where its to late, it is great for couples who are going through some new changes in there life together or who want to start from the begining and make it a part of the learning curve.
Roxane
Some good suggestions on communicating and reminders on the work that needs to be put in to sustaining a relationship. Worth taking a read even if not in it's entirety.
Lauren
I really found this to be a great follow-up to the two books I just read about Boundaries. This book has a lot of very practical information and offers concrete steps with which to work. Written in a manner which is readily understandable, although certainly a good deal of it can be challenging to adapt into one's life.
Dolly
Oct 02, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: married couples
This is a practical guide to communication and keeping your marriage healthy and happy. It gets pretty repetitive in parts and some of the dialogues are pretty hokey, but on the whole, there's a lot of good, sound advice and helpful tips for breaking down the barriers to communication.
Russ Jarvis
A fine treatment of how to build a lasting marriage. Well-researched. Should appeal to a wide audience. A little long but a great resource for a couple willing to get to work at loving each other well.
Emily
I'm not married so I haven't had a chance to try out some of the things discussed in this book. I will say that it has a lot a really, really great insight to conflict resolution...amongst other things.
Evan
This book actually teaches the reader how to argue constructively with thier spouce. I can't tell you how this book has improved my marriage. It taught me to be a better husband.
Anthony 'tony'
One of our top ten books on marriage. Wendy and I got this in pre-marital. LOVE it. We reference it a lot. We go to it a LOT. Should be a staple book for healthy marriages.
Colleen
Awesome book. My fiancé and I read it together as part of our premarital counseling, and it gave us several tools for our relationship. I highly recommend this book.
James Sidwa
Pretty good read with reminders of simple things we all lose sight of in our busy lives. Worth the time if you're looking to have a more rewarding marriage.
Mandii
this is one of the best marriage books i've read.. i recommend it to clients all the time and I love it myself.
Went to a couples retreat and talked about everything in this book. I got alot out of it.
Heather Larson
Dec 21, 2010 Heather Larson marked it as postponed-reading  ·  review of another edition
I haven't gotten much past the introduction, but so far it sounds do-able and practical.
Anna Nowinski
The least misogynistic of the Marriage 101 texts. But still some misogyny.
Chelsea
out of a sea of books on marriage - this one was actually helpful.
Kaele Shields
I read this for a Psych class- it has some good tips!
Rachel Walters
WOW! So far the is an absolutely fabulous book!
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Frances Husband-Gallegos
Frances Husband-Gallegos marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
  • Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage: America's Love Lab Experts Share Their Strategies for Strengthening Your Relationship
  • The New Rules of Marriage: What You Need to Know to Make Love Work
  • Desperate Marriages: Moving Toward Hope and Healing in Your Relationship
  • Ethnicity and Family Therapy
  • The Language of Love: How to Quickly Communicate Your Feelings and Needs
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
  • Love Is Never Enough: How Couples Can Overcome Misunderstandings, Resolve Conflicts, and Solve
  • Love Busters: Overcoming the Habits That Destroy Romantic Love
  • Keeping the Love You Find
  • How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words
  • Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
  • Freedom from Toxic Relationships: Moving On from the Family, Work, and Relationship Issues That Bring You Down
  • Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Marriage on the Rock
  • At a Journal Workshop
  • Not "Just Friends": Rebuilding Trust and Recovering Your Sanity After Infidelity
  • Woman Power: Transform Your Man, Your Marriage, Your Life
12 Hours to a Great Marriage: A Step-By-Step Guide for Making Love Last Environmental Management Systems and Cleaner Production Relationship Tool Kit Su Matrimonio Vale La Pena Becoming Parents: How to Strengthen Your Marriage as Your Family Grows