Pitch Black: Color Me Lost

Pitch Black: Color Me Lost (TrueColors #4)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  960 ratings  ·  63 reviews
If Morgan thought her life was tough before--what with a drug-addicted, klepto brother and a cradle-robbing mother--it just got worse: Her friend Jason took his own life.
Morgan copes--or tries to--by attempting to piece together vague clues that might explain Jason's suicide. Making matters worse, she can't help but feel responsible somehow. Sometimes she thinks maybe Jas...more
Published February 27th 2014 by Th1nk Books (first published September 1st 2004)

Merary
What's with the beginning? They all start the same: With a whine.
All I understood was: "My mom is a cougar!" WAH! "My brother sucks!" WAH! "My mom is ruining my life!" WAH! "Look at the way she dresses! Does she even have shame?" WAH! "My life is a total disaster!" WAH! WAH! WAH! WAH! WA--

It's only been 12 pages and that girl Morgan is being a very annoying brat who I want to torture instantly! What's with these irritating main characters that Melody Carlson created? Does she really think that t...more
Chris
While looking at the young adult section of my local library, I stumbled across this series. Edgy Christian fiction for young adults. Hmmmm... what's that all about? So I had to check it out. I'm definitely not Carlson's brand of Christian. I'm a very liberal Catholic, so I think she'd find me sort of shady. I read the first two in the series and was not very impressed, but somehow, it became sort of an addiction, and I had to continue with the rest. Does she have a good message? Of course, and...more
Liz
This book is REALLY good. I read in less than a day. It's about a girl who's good friend commits suicide. It really makes you think about death and life and God and heaven and stuff. And I nearly cried-well I did, which is saying a lot since I never cry at books. Some of the things the characters were thinking reminded me of how it feels when someone you love died-which happened to me recently. And, anyway, if you've ever thought of suicide, known someone who has, or just are curious about death...more
Jillian
Nov 09, 2007 Jillian rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one
Hated hated hated this book. It gives you no warning from the cover or excerpt of its underlying religious morals. I know that sounds bad, but when a story is corrupted by a forced unrealistic message... Idk it really bothered me.
I never read another one in this Color Me series.
Tayla
I quite enjoyed this book. This was the first book I have read of Melody Carlson, I really liked it, although, it was sad with all the suicide.
I don;t think you have to be a christian to read it, as im not one, But it was quite good. :)
Grace
Ruby Guzman
Pitch Black: Color Me Lost by Melody Carlson
Is a good book to read in my opinion, I think the lesson in this book is to think before you do something bad. This book is about this girl Morgan that had many problems in her house. One morning she got in a fight with her mother because her mother was going to leave her alone for a couple of weeks. She went to school but didn’t want to talk to no one, only her best friend Jason but she didn’t see him. Carline was tried to talk to her because she had...more
Angela
The only thing i didn't like about this book is I wanted it to be longer. I want to read more about the teens and how they and their high school were affected. I want to read more of the positive instead of almost the entire book being focused on the negative.

Most people who gave this book a bad rating did so because of the entire plot of the book. They didn't want to read about teen suicide and most felt it was unrealistic. Wake up call..... Teen suicide is a major major issue. Working with te...more
Brenda
"Pitch Black" revolves around Morgan Bergstrom. She is a seventeen year old girl who feels like her life is sorta out of control. Her brother uses drugs, her parents are divorced and since her mom started dating a new guy Morgan feels like her mom really doesn't pay any attention to her anymore. When she learns that her friend Jason Harding committed suicide, she blames herself, but soon starts thinking that maybe Jason had the right idea, and decides to join in a suicide pact with two other stu...more
Abbie Riddle
Morgan's life has always seemed tough but in one week it seems to spin utterly out of control and a black cloud of thickening despair settles over her. With her parents divorce everything seemed to spiral into a darkening abyss. Her older brother became involved in the drug scene so much that she installed a dead-bolt on her door. Then to make matters worse her 40 something mom starts to dress like a teen and dates a younger man.

With the announcement of their marriage Morgan could not imagine t...more
TWJ Magazine
Morgan Bergstrom has reached rock bottom, the absolute darkest point in her life. It’s not just that her preoccupied mom left her home alone for the week while she goes off to elope with her (much younger) boyfriend. Or that her brother is a drug addict who skips out on his family. Morgan also receives the shocking news that one of her best friends, Jason, took his own life. Rocked to the core, and unable to understand why someone who seemed so perfect could be so desperate, Morgan must grapple...more
Christine
Aug 02, 2010 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: teens struggling with suicidal thoughts, teens with friends who commited suicide, teens in general
This book made me freak out every time i look at Tylenol. I don't suggest reading this book when you're in a bad mood, it will make you feel worse or give you bad ideas. But i don't suggest reading it in a good mood, it will make you depressed, lol. So i would read it if you're dealing with the issues presented in this book, i.e., the death of a friend. Which thankfully I'm not lol.

Some of the events in this books seemed a little much. I mean if my best friend committed suicide I have to admit I...more
Megan
Wow. This was an amazing story that handled the tricky topic of suicide amazingly well. I'm so glad I read this because a couple weeks after I did, a girl I know emailed my mom and said she wanted to OD and kill herself and she was exactly like one of the characters in this book.
Rebecca
This is, of course, the fourth book in the trucolor series. Its about a girl named Morgan who has a lot of life troubles.She has to deal with a drud-addict brother who never comes home AND a mother who has the worst boyfriend. Above it all she looses her best friend Jason to suicide.He had a perfect life and she is so confused about why he did it that her only option out is it to commit suicide herself. She feels responsible for his death by not listening to his problems when she only listened t...more
Camryn Salmonsen
Pitch Black is about a girl in high school named Morgan. How her besrfriend Jason Harding over dose on Tylenol and past away. She was really bummed about the lost of Jason. She found some friends of hers and jasons who were also bummed out. They made a suicied pack. That one night they would over dose just like Jason did. They werent going to tell anyone about the pact. But one did not follow the pact rules. Morgan was very bummed about the lost of jason. She blammed it all on her self. Morgan d...more
Ashley
Mar 07, 2014 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Morgan's best friend committed suicide during the same time she had many family problems going on at home. The only solution Morgan can come up with is to kill herself. Until late some news comes to Morgan that makes her rethink her entire plan on committing suicide. This book was a good book. It was super heavy because it had lots of depression and plans and talk of committing suicide.

Questionable Content: teen suicide, planning suicide, lying, and smoking

I would recommend this book for highsch...more
$hanel
Can Morgan`s life get any worse with a crazy mother and a brother sticking to drugs? When Morgan`s best guy-friend comittes suicide Morgan feels like her world has fallen apart. Can she ever be awaken from this nightmare? Morgan actually thinks about moving into Jason`s world since Morgan dosen`t think that her life will get any better so she thinks that it`s time to end her mixed up life. Will Carlye a real Christian shows Morgan that suicide is not the best desission what will Morgan do? This...more
Natali
This series is really interesting. The books describe things that people don't want to think is happening in the real world but they just don't want to face the facts. Morgan is suffering the loss of her best friend, Jason, after he commited suicide. Now Morgan thinks it's the end of the world and sees no reason to live. Will she just get over the fact that he's dead and go one with life, or will she and a few other friends take it too far, far enough to be with Jason forever.
DeutschesMadchen
Emma J
Oct 17, 2010 Emma J rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Teens
Recommended to Emma by: No One
I think this a really good book. It about a girl named Morgan and she goes into depression after her best friend Jason, commits suicide. She turns from God and thinks her life is as lousy as it can get, and her and two other friends form a suicide pact and plan on killing themselves to join Jason.
This book has a mix of mystery, suspense and funky twist, when Morgan has a turning point and realizes that you can't get through life without God.
Courtney
Rena
We all go through dark times. Most not as dark as Morgan, but still, we all face troubles in our lives. There is not easy way out. We are forced to cope with the events in our lives. This book needs to be read by all those who want out of their lives because it may change your mind. It will atleast make them think a little harder about what they are doing. Suicide is not the answer to any problem.
Hope
This book was pretty good but it didn't get me to keep reading as the the other books did. I still really liked it and it did have me wondering all the time. My favorite part was when Morgan, Grace, and Seth were just about to take Tylenol when Morgan's grandma walked in! She saved their life. It will be great when I get to finish this whole series! READ THIS SERIES IT'S GREAT!!
Alice Lovegood
This book deals about depression and suicide. I just can't get excited about a book with this topic, as it's not exactly a "fun" read. But, I'm glad I read it since it's in the series and overall I am enjoying this series and appreciate that it deals with hard issues. I read the entire book in probably an hour and a half, so that was also a nice change of pace!
Kayla Mannlein
The title definitely is not misleading I felt very lost while reading this book . I became so distraught while reading this book that I had to take many breaks while reading it. I have felt this way in a very low part of my life and suicide is no joke nor should it be a social action or an action at all as this grieving teen was mistaken to believe.
Lauren Elaine
So, I've always liked Melody's teen books. Not loved them, but liked them. And they all have good moments, of course. But this one really irritated me. I read it in less then an hour and a half, and it put me in a bad mood. The whole time I was going, "seriously?" They're just not for me.
Meg
This book was good in a similar but different way. It took me a little bit longer to read, but maybe just because life gets a little busy. Pitch Black is about depression, and the characters aren't so wrapped up in a popular or wannabe mindset, which was nice to get a break from.
Jodi
Well this series is really an education for me. This one was all about teen suicide and teens making a suicide pact. I had no idea that such things existed. Wow. It went thru a school and how they react when one of their own takes there life. It was a good read.
Kristina
This book covers many things that I think about so often and really shows me how much God does for us. Pitch Black is an absolutely incredible book that brought me in a closer relationship with God, and knowing the truth about suicide really gave me hope.
  • Starry Night (Christy Miller, #8)
  • The Fall of Candy Corn (Sweet Seasons, #2)
  • Last Breath (The Rayne Tour, #2)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)