Start by marking “Wives and Sisters” as Want to Read:
Wives and Sisters

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Wives and Sisters

Decades ago, young Allison Jensen and her best friend Cindy were separated in the woods. Cindy disappeared forever. Allison survived amid a web of small-town secrets and lies that greeted every anguished question she asked about that fateful afternoon.
Years later, Allison has come home to the bedroom community of Farmington, Utah--back to the devout tyranny of her father,
Published March 7th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wives and Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wives and Sisters

Celeste Miller
May 16, 2007 Celeste Miller rated it it was ok
Pretty silly. The author has an obvious ax to grind, and highlights an extreme example of Mormonism, doing little to shed light on its appeal and power over followers. If she hadn't set it against the backdrop of Mormon culture, I doubt this shoddily-constructed, oddly-paced mystery would have garnered much attention.
Dawn
Oct 13, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this story about Mormons in Utah. I thought it was very suspenseful and it held my interest. It was very creepy.
Michele
Aug 16, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
Family secrets; creepy, a compelling search for justice.
Judy
Oct 15, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judy by: my sister
This book was a very quick read. It was difficult to put down because the story is compelling. I was not impressed entirely with the author's writing style, but I think this is her first novel or an early one, and she may be an author to watch. Natalie Collins was apparently raised in (and still lives in) Utah in the Mormon Church and very clearly knows the ins and outs of Mormon life. This is one of the things I found most interesting. I have read stories before of abused wives and children and ...more
Emily
Jul 16, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is written by an Ex-mormon about a girl who grows up in a mormon household most would think was abusive. Given events that happened to her as a young child, she has grown up openingly questioning the church and this pits her against her family. Her family dynamic is very interesting. Her father is very strict and quick to discipline and her mother died when she was 15, when she was giving birth to a child her father wanted to help populate his celestial family. Her brother is killed on ...more
Azuree
Mar 23, 2016 Azuree rated it really liked it
This riveting tale about a girl growing up in a Mormon society where women are supposed to stay at home and men are the ones who have the control allows the reader a glimpse into what happens when a crime is committed and no one wants to take responsibility. Although Wives and Sisters is a fiction book, the author being an ex-Mormon herself, uses much of the churches laws and ideals to paint a picture of what Allison Jensen goes through in her life after her best friend is kidnapped an no one wi ...more
Eliece
Jan 26, 2016 Eliece rated it did not like it
This was a very forgettable story--I can't believe I stayed with it all the way to the bitter end.
The main character was a lapsed Morman (as is the author, apparently) and she has some strong biases. The story begins with her as a 6-year-old who is present when her 8-year-old friend is abducted. For the next 20 years she is obsessed with finding out what happened to her friend, and why the Mormon community was so closed-mouth about it.
There are a lot of side issues, particularly with her father
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
**Spoilers ahead**
I didn't expect to love this as much as I did. This story was filled with sorrow & suspense. I have read a lot of books on the Mormon church but most were true accounts. I know this is a fictional work but it reminded me of the big scandal that happened in the Mormon community not too long ago with Warren Jeffs; In the similarities that many members stayed quiet even though they knew the sick and perverted acts he was committing among children and other members.

But, back t
Crystal
Apr 08, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
Very strong and good book! I could relate to the book very well since I was raised in a similar religion and couldn't wait to leave.

The reason I only gave it four stars was that in the beginning it seems extremely whiny but then I realized she is looking back and telling the story from her adult viewpoint and could see why it was negative, now realizing how it should have been.

I must add that I do realize not everyone that is Mormon grew up in such a horrible household as the book. The book di
Rhonda
Jun 07, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Not my favorite. The story is set in Utah and is written around the Mormons/ LDS. I liked that the story was written in first person but the details of the belief structure of the LDS and the storyline itself, I ended the book wondering if the author had was a former LDS/Mormon herself and had left the church and its teachings, and if this was a real event that happened that she glossed over and created a fictional book from.

I found the story predictable in a lot of areas although there were a f
R. Kriatyrr Brosvik
another accidental re-read. I don't remember having read this before (but I remember having started reading it, which should have clued me in because a book has to be utterly terrible for me to abandon it), but all the way through it was familiar - although I had forgotten a lot of details, so it was still fairly exciting. Still no idea when I first read it.. Bought it when it was fresh, didn't read it for a long time. Like most of my books.
Elzbieta Zdunek
Oct 15, 2012 Elzbieta Zdunek rated it liked it
I was hesitating how many stars should I give to this book. I hade huge expectations giving my current anti-cult obsession and on one hand I feel satisfied, but on the other I don't. The book was gripping and gave a broad picture of Mormon customs and beliefs, but the mystery was not mysterious at all and the answer was obvious from the beginning.
Hailey
Dec 06, 2008 Hailey rated it did not like it
This book is about a girl that witnessed her friends murder at a young age by someone in the church....It was sort of interesting but really has some parts in the book...overall i really wouldn't recommend this book!
Naomi Jensen
Aug 12, 2013 Naomi Jensen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loke books about the church, whether Mormon, Catholic, or Episcopalian, because they are so foreign to me. It tells the story of a girl who grew up in the Mormom church and at some point loses faith in it.
Libby
Jun 25, 2009 Libby rated it liked it
I grabbed this book from the Library without reading what it was about. I was quite surprised to find that it was very anti-Mormon. The story line was good - it is very dramatic - but the author, who grew up Mormon, really is bitter about the church and really brought it out in her story.
Jackie Simons
Read 12/04
Rita
Aug 12, 2008 Rita rated it liked it
This is a bleak story. I looked at the writer's website, and discovered that she is an angry ex-Mormon, and some of what she wrote was autobiographical. That explained a lot about the book.
Carley
Jul 29, 2010 Carley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Totally sucked me in but scared the beejeezies out of me!
Ellen
Feb 21, 2011 Ellen marked it as to-read
Shelves: jeffco, utah
Utah
Elise
Jan 28, 2008 Elise rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This had the potential to be interesting but was too far-fetched, bitter, and silly to be worth the time it took to read.
Carol
Jan 27, 2008 Carol rated it it was ok
Very disappointing!
Cheree Martin
Apr 25, 2016 Cheree Martin rated it it was ok
New to writing reviews. But this book was pretty predictable. Decent storyline, could have had a deeper plot.
Arlene
Oct 01, 2010 Arlene added it
WOW. A page turner.
Ashley
Mar 05, 2010 Ashley added it
well i have read most of this book intill my boyfriend tore it apart so now i have to try to find a new copy but it was really good
D.
Oct 02, 2009 D. added it
Wives and Sisters by Natalie R. Collins (2006)
Mary
Jul 28, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good suspense book
Recommended to Mary by: my daughter
Very suspenseful book. I felt sorry for Alli and her sisters and brother. To think that these things happen in some religions.
Kathleen
Apr 28, 2016 Kathleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2006
Started out great and then.....
Tina Milledge
Jan 12, 2017 Tina Milledge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never judge a book by its cover. Drab cover, great suspense story. Couldn't predict the ending at all.
Kristen
Jul 07, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-library
Absolute crap but strangely compelling, fueling my current obsession. The abuse and rape is as common as Nancy Drew getting knocked unconscious.
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Predators, Prey, and Other Kinfolk: Growing Up in Polygamy
  • Pointe and Shoot (Jenny T. Partridge, #3)
  • Her Loving Husband's Curse (Loving Husband, #2)
  • God's Brothel: The Extortion of Sex for Salvation
  • Let Me Out
  • The Closer
  • Kill Grandma For Me
  • After
  • A Pound of Flesh (Marja Duology, #2)
  • The 4 O'Clock Murders: The True Story of a Mormon Family's Vengeance
  • Rock Me Gently: A True Story of a Convent Childhood
  • Innocence
  • The Ghost Rock Cafe
  • Have You Seen Dawn?
In her acclaimed thrillers, Natalie R. Collins reveals the secrets that lurk in every town, the darkness that lies in every heart, and the ties that bind every family--till death...

Natalie R. Collins has ten published books, has worked as a ghostwriter on several other books, and is currently working on revisions for her fourth book with St. Martin's press, as well as a YA, her first. She has dabb
More about Natalie R. Collins...