The Baby Goes Beep

The Baby Goes Beep

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  43 reviews
See how the baby goes...
Beep... Boom... Flip
Yum... Splash... Smooch!
Busy Baby!
Board Book, 16 pages
Published September 1st 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published July 18th 2003)

Shanshad Whelan
Since I can't figure out how to disconnect the board book and the hardcover, I'll have to note things here. I give five stars to the hardcover which is by far one of my favorite read alouds for any child under two years old.

I give only three stars for the board book which is a trimmed down version of the same said book. It cuts out one repetition of the action word and completely breaks up the reading beat. I found myself adding the missing text back in to balance the read. Really am not a fan o...more
Hyrum
This book was a chilling reminder of how everything fun like bath time is really just a ploy to get me to sleep. I'm going to be much more suspicious of any time my parent's pay attention to me.
This book really opened my eyes to the horror of what people are capable of when their baby doesn't want to go to sleep. I know that parent's aren't bad.... they just do bad things like give me baths when they are sleep deprived. Just be aware.
Heather
H likes the sounds but I think even he is craving more. I was glad to read another review and know that there is a hardcover version that is longer and more complete. I am not a fan of board books that hack apart the original and as a result leave the reader lacking and wanting more. Baby will enjoy the sounds you make when you read the book but not worth owning the board book version. I'll be happy to return this one to the library.
Terry
The book was well worth my while after seeing how much my son loved the book and was laughing throughout each reading. It's hard to argue with a book that actually captures the attention of my son and instills a positive association with books during a time in his life where it is difficult to get him to sit still. I did not like this book. I felt underwhelmed by the text, unimpressed by the illustrations, and I felt like an absolute idiot as I read the text, which is a rare thing for me. I have...more
Ruhama
I finally got my copy in! This picture book won the Charlotte Zolotow honor this year and follows a baby throughout his/her day (I’m guessing it’s a boy, but it could be either). This is a noisy book, and begs to be read aloud and then acted out, especially for anyone with toddlers in the house. I could see older siblings enjoying the rhymes and activities and performing some of them with their baby brother or sister. Illustrator Ken Wilson-Max has bright colors, clever interpretations (e.g. “th...more
Rachael Ricker (Myers)
2 stars for the board book but I'll update when I read the hardcover which I've read is more complete.
Brandy
I wasn't going to list the board books as things I actually read this year, but I think once you've read it thirty-five thousand times you're entitled to count it in your totals.

Worth noting: the board book version skips "the baby goes LA," and also condenses the rhythm to a 1-4 (instead of 1-2-4), so it's just "the baby goes BEEP; the baby goes BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP." Still, my toddler loves this book, and has taken to flipping to the back page ("the baby goes shhhh") and pointing to it when he's...more
Lisa
Loved it! We say this one around the house.
Josh
These simple noises really interest our baby. And the rhythm and pictures really add to the overall read-aloud experience. One word of warning - try and get the hardcover version. The board book version actually cuts out one whole sound and also ruins the rising rhythm by removing the middle line of each stanza.
Vicki
This is a really fun one to read in either baby storytime or toddler storytime. I liked reading it super-rhythmically, and having the parents and toddlers help me make actions and noises. Because the sounds repeat themselves about 4 times, it gives everybody enough time to get in on it. Fun book!
Parry Rigney
Pretty much the perfect baby storytime book. Bright pictures; repetitive, rhythmic, and spare (!) text; and depictions of everyday activities (bathing, eating, reading, banging on things, etc.)that are familiar to baby. Parents can easily join in, and the presenter can easily memorize the text.
Crystal
I use this book in story time. It is a great book for very young children ages 0-3. As many have stated, this book encourages young ones to act out and say words in the book. I enjoyed reading it as the little ones try to repeat the words in a pattern.
Kristen
I'm thinking I should try this in baby story time and see how it goes over. I like the noises aspect, and my toddlers seemed to have fun with that, but this one didn't hold their attention as well as others have. I do love the simple, bright illustrations.
Samantha
A noisy board book of activities over the course of baby's day.

Sound words appear in bold and are expressively displayed on each page.

A good read aloud for babies and toddlers.
Kate
A nice, simple choice for baby storytime. Very repetitive with a good use of sound. May be ideal for children who still learning to talk since they may imitate some of the sounds.
Christine
This book has the best read-aloud rhythm. We enjoyed this when the kids were really little, and now that they're both talking, they love chanting it with me.
Leslie Stair

ART ACTIVITY:

OBSERVATIONS:

NOTES:
Carol
A day of baby's activities and their respective sounds from riding in a car, eating a meal, taking a bath, going to bed, and more.
Kate Hastings
Jun 12, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babies music and movement
Simple text and bright illustrations urge babies to beep, , boom, flip, splash and smootch! Great sound effects for a music and movement.
Kim
Recommended for Laptime, it has repetition of sounds in spades. I have yet to try it out on an audience though.
Tricia
Dec 28, 2007 Tricia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baby Lapsit
Big bright pictures and great rhythm. Both girls chimed in while being read to with the sounds. Very appealing.
Kristie
Follow baby throughout her day as she makes different noises with everyday items. Text is large and repetitive.
HD
Too young for my 21 month old but a very good book nonetheless. I'm sure it's on all sorts of book lists.
Susan
recommended at training for baby storytime, but I just can't get it to flow the way I want or something.
jenna nims
nice and bright - caroline liked it when she was a baby - not so much any more - not enough words she said.
Mark
This book seems to have a very narrow window of interest, which my 21-month-old is largely past.
A great ready to read title that encourages parents to interact with their babies.
Katie Fitzgerald
This book is simple, but brilliant. Perfect for even the smallest babies.
Ellen
I love everything about this book! The sounds, the illustrations, everything.
Lucy
Babies, Toddlers, phonological awareness, print motivation and awareness.
  • Hello, Day!
  • I Kissed the Baby!
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Higher! Higher!
  • This Little Chick
  • Baby Danced the Polka (ALA Notable Children's Books. Younger Readers (Awards))
  • Yawn
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • My Car
  • Clip-Clop
  • Big Fat Hen
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Hello Baby!
  • Monkey And Me
Baby Parade Danny Is Done with Diapers : A Potty ABC Myrtle of Willendorf Penina Levine Is a Hard-boiled Egg Penina Levine Is a Potato Pancake