Start by marking “Nutrition Made Clear ” as Want to Read:
Nutrition Made Clear

Nutrition Made Clear (The Great Courses: Better Living Lecture)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  210 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Making smart eating choices is essential to living a healthy, happy, and successful life. Yet all too often, we're exposed to information and techniques that promise quick and easy results but can be harmful to your overall health: crash diets, experimental medications, ever-changing studies on what you should eat more or less of, and more. It can be confusing to dig throu ...more
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by The Teaching Company

To ask other readers questions about Nutrition Made Clear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nutrition Made Clear

Ilinca
Jan 17, 2014 Ilinca rated it it was amazing
This woman knows her stuff. Unlike websites that promote cure-alls and fads, she has science behind her every statement. Wherever there are doubts, she lays them out; wherever there is stupidity in the general public that chooses this year's diet over common sense, she calls it out respectfully and emphatically. I am skeptical (to say the least) of diet fads, alternative medicine and cure-alls; I enjoyed her calm approach to them.
I can't emphasize enough how in control she is of this topic - her
Jeff Yoak
Aug 27, 2010 Jeff Yoak rated it it was amazing
This course was fantastic. I was motivated to learn about more about nutrition when my wife got involved with the Paleo diet and while some aspects seemed like big improvements, I had concerns about other parts. While those conclusions more or less held after the course, I've found that it has provided a lot of structure to shape my diet and get more fit. Learning a lot enables me to approach the situation more as a game where I can plan outcomes and exercise control which is fun for me rather t ...more
Ray Campbell
Apr 10, 2014 Ray Campbell rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Over the past ten years of training for marathons, earning coaching certification and coaching running and rowing, I've read dozens of books on health, exercise and nutrition. This looked like a comprehensive college level overview, and it was. Roberta Anding does a nice job of explaining the science as well as the practical applications of a wide range of nutrition concepts. She confirmed ideas I believed were true, dispelled myths and provided some warning I hadn't thought of. I know vitamins ...more
Karl
Feb 22, 2011 Karl rated it it was amazing
This NEEDS to be part of mandatory curriculum somewhere during K-12... Closer to the K than the 12!
Bo
May 10, 2015 Bo rated it it was amazing
Very informative course on nutrition and overall health and wellness. Some of the rules I've tried to adopt in my day to day life is eating more fruits and veggies (aim for 50% of my plate), pay attention to portion sizes, a nice balance between resistance and aerobic exercise, and choosing exercise activities that I enjoy doing. That doesn't scratch the surface of the valuable information by Roberta Anding, so I'd highly recommend this course to anyone who is wanting to improve or maintain a he ...more
Puck
Feb 01, 2015 Puck rated it it was amazing
I wanted to hold off on reviewing this until I finished, but all along the way I was recommending it to folks.

I learned so much from this - from just the interesting mechanics of how oatmeal lowers cholesterol to confirming what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong.

I really appreciated Roberta's open mind to different diet preferences (pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan) and the format of the lectures personal story, information, data, studies, conclusions, FAQs - though sometimes the a
Nicholas Crutchley
This audiobook seems well balanced and a pleasure to listen to. A lady with rich experience guides you through the myths of diet, and takes a scientific approach which, of course, is always open to review. Well worth it, and something on which I could make positive steps in my life.

I particularly like the integration of exercise and nutrition in the thinking- an holistic approach built on reductionist building blocks. Scientific in places, but Roberta guides you through.

A tonic.
Bob Blainey
Jan 02, 2016 Bob Blainey rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic course by "Great Courses". This one teaches the basics of nutrition, piece by piece, working up to a good level of sophistication in learning about heart health, cancer diets and more. I haven't read the companion book yet but plan to re-listen to the course & follow-along with the book this time since the details and science sometimes gets overwhelming.
Brian
May 03, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. The author was extremely knowledgeable of the material. Many times, there had to be stoppages to absorb all of the information concerning nutrition. The complaint of the other reviewers continues to be valid, the lack of a associated guidebook affects the ability to understand some of the material.
Heather
Mar 20, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Having the course guide for this one would be handy, as there is a ton of information covered in these lectures. Professor Anding isn't the smoothest presenter in the world, but the topic was interesting (and important) enough and her passion for it obvious enough to compensate.
Anders Brabaek
Jun 09, 2016 Anders Brabaek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dieting, nutrition
Anding is an excellent, and efficient teacher. Everything is clear and well structured. However, the course is fairly basic. It has very little information on the whole area of gut microbes, the psychology of eating, or taste influence and so on.
What it does, is to provide you with a solid basic understanding of vitamins, minerals, proteins, fat and carbs. And it does so without applying one of the "religious" approaches to nutrition - e.g. paleo, Low Carb and so on.
So, if you already posses a
Zach Koch
Mar 09, 2016 Zach Koch rated it really liked it
A comprehensive review of the science behind conventional nutritional wisdom.
Paal Leveraas
Apr 29, 2014 Paal Leveraas rated it really liked it
Excellent guide to the basics and more about nutrition.
Tnahsin Garg
Jan 09, 2014 Tnahsin Garg rated it liked it
The title says it all. A detailed introduction to nutrition and it's importance. At times, the author sounds repetitious but hey she's a dietitian not a writer. But I'm very glad to have gone through this because this can be a sort of the foundation for future health/fitness books.

(Highly recommended for geeks/introverts who tend to ignore the importance of good health and are hard to come across or believe sound advice.)
Jams
Feb 19, 2015 Jams rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, non-fiction
A nice intro.
Michael
Dec 30, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding - potentially life altering. The rather complex information is presented in a surprisingly engaging, thoroughly accessible way. Maybe the book that changes the way I behave more than any other in recent memory.
Valters Bondars
Apr 13, 2016 Valters Bondars rated it really liked it
8/10
John Rea-Hedrick
Nov 05, 2013 John Rea-Hedrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened-to
A fantastic wealth of powerful, common and not-so-common sense course information about food and healthy nutrition from registered dietitian Roberta H. Anding with The Teaching Company. There is more than enough information in any one of the contained lectures to change your eating habits and your relationship to food. An abridged version of this course should be part of every high school curriculum: public, private and homeschool. This was 18 hours and 40 minutes definitely well spent!
Michelle Peterson
Feb 03, 2016 Michelle Peterson rated it it was amazing
Clear reliable information backed by science. She was easy and fun to listen to. I really enjoyed this course.
Dave
Jun 08, 2016 Dave rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Very interesting and informative. It has actually changed the way that I look at food and decide what to eat.
Innastholiel
Very US-centric, but still with lots of interesting and usable information. I’m kind of bummed I didn’t find out about Great Courses sooner.
Gohar
Aug 09, 2012 Gohar rated it it was amazing
These set of lectures should be added as a compulsory curriculum in college. Concise, easy to follow lectures, covering all the basics of nutrition and highlights exactly what is plaguing the minds of people who want to stay active, fit and healthy. Well-structured, easy to follow lectures that cover all bases of Nutrition.
Alex Timberman
Obviously, she was an expert. I learned a whole lot but not in an interesting way. I should expect that with a product from the teaching company but the content wasn't interesting enough on its own to have to hear it as lectures. Well, I finished it and hopefully the information I gained will make a difference in my nutrition.
Garren
Sep 29, 2012 Garren rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-courses
An excellent overview of nutrition science and current consumer issues. Something like this should be required in high school. Maybe it is already, but what I got in the late 90s was more appropriate for ten year olds.

I wasn't engrossed the whole time, but it was definitely good for me. How fitting!
Mike
Sep 10, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
A very decent clinical overview. Almost too much information. Didn't agree with several of her assessments, but she also provided a large amount of useful tips and information.
Eric
Sep 10, 2011 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: ttc, healthy-living
Good course, though much of the info were what I wasn’t interested in. The few practical info and suggestions were good.
Danmcgohan
Jan 09, 2013 Danmcgohan rated it liked it
Very informative. Repetitious at times. More information than I generally need.
Shawn Kass
Sep 18, 2013 Shawn Kass rated it really liked it
Factual and anecdotal.
Vasyl
Vasyl marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
  • The Art Of Critical Decision Making (Great Courses, #5932)
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • The Great Ideas of Psychology (Great Courses, #660)
  • Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: modern physics for non-scientists
  • Mysteries of Modern Physics: Time
  • The Skeptic's Guide to American History
  • Effective Communication Skills
  • The Story of Human Language
  • The History of the United States (Great Courses, #8500)
  • Argumentation: The Study Of Effective Reasoning (Great Courses, #4294)
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • The Historical Jesus (Great Courses, #643)
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation (The Teaching Company)
  • Building Great Sentences: Exploring the Writer's Craft
  • Stress and Your Body
  • From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History (Great Courses, #8320)
  • Understanding Grammar for Powerful Communication (The Modern Scholar: Way with Words, Vol. 3)
  • Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life
Professor Roberta H. Anding,
M.S., Louisiana State University,
Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital

Professor Roberta H. Anding is a registered dietitian and Director of Sports Nutrition and a clinical dietitian at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Hospital. She also teaches and lectures in the Baylor College of Medicine's Department of Pediatrics, Section of Adole
More about Roberta H. Anding...