Start by marking “One Man's Paradise” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
One Man's Paradise

Douglas Corleone

One Man's Paradise (Kevin Corvelli #1)

Hotshot New York criminal defense lawyer Kevin Corvelli was rolling. He had all the right connections to get way ahead. Guilty? Innocent? It didn’t matter so long as he won, got in the papers, and got paid. That’s until he loses---and loses big---when a client, who was convicted and then killed in jail, is later proven innocent. The media has a field day plastering Corvell ...more
Hardcover, 1st
Published April 27th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published March 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about One Man's Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Man's Paradise

Giovanni Gelati
Jun 23, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Right off the bat I want to put out there that this novel is the winner of the Minotaur Books/Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Award. I know, you read the jacket or the summary of the story and it is another novel about another lawyer. Ho-hum. The surprising part of the whole thing is that it lives up to its award and the central character, Kevin Corvelli esquire, is actually a very fun guy.
The story for Corvelli picks up with him in Hawaii after he lost a high profile case in NYC an
Stuart
Nov 24, 2010 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read start to finish. A unique and surprisingly likable protagonist, great Hawaiian flavor, and an edge-of-the-seat thriller.
Kathleen Smith
Sep 01, 2010 Kathleen Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it
First, let me say, that this book takes place in Hawaii and is the authors debut Novel..Since he is living in Hawaii, there is a sense of realism to the story. Words, both hawaiian and pidgin, are bantered about in a Hawaiian way. Not how we think it is, but how it truly is.... Loved it-like being home.
Characters were strong and easy to follow. Open for more Novels. The protagonist was not a perfect man, but with flaws making him believable.
I loaned the Arc to a friend who is an avid Mystery rea
Karen
Apr 11, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story which kept me guessing until the end. I am looking forward to attorney Kevin Corvelli's next adventure!
Kathy LeJeune
May 14, 2010 Kathy LeJeune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read, my first book from Douglas Corleone. He is now one of my favorite authors.
Lisa
Douglas Corleone's debut novel follows the misadventures of Kevin Corvelli, a hot-shot criminal defense attorney who moves from New York City to Honolulu after losing a high-profile murder case. In Hawaii, Kevin hopes to start fresh, but he can't get away from criminal defendants who need his help--including a young man charged with the murder of his ex-girlfriend.

One Man's Paradise is a stereotypical legal thriller in that it features a murder case that's more complicated than it first appears,
Debut Authors Blog
One Man’s Paradise by Douglas Corleone is the second book I received from Minotaur Books; the first was Paul Dorion’s The Poachers Son, which I reviewed a few weeks ago. They must be doing something right over there because this book was even better than Dorion’s and you know how much I loved that one. Kevin Corvelli is a disgraced New York lawyer finding refuge on the island paradise of Oahu. After blowing the last big case he had in New York Corvelli has sworn off felony cases, convincing hims ...more
Nick Stika
Jun 22, 2014 Nick Stika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous book. Loved the story, loved the setting and loved the style. I look forward to reading more Kevin Corvelli adventures.
LJ
First Sentence: They pawed at each other against the black backdrop of night, the restless Pacific waters purring at their feet.

New York Attorney Kevin Corvelli has given up life in the Big Apple. A man he rather carelessly defended and was sentenced for murder, died in prison. He was also innocent. Corvelli has come to Hawaii thinking he’ll no longer practice criminal law, but only handle misdemeanors. His new landlord has different ideas and Corvelli finds himself defending a young New Jersey
Oswego Public Library District
This is a solid, well-written legal thriller with unquestionably funny moments and interesting ethical undercurrents. A young attorney has experienced a major setback in his otherwise successful career in New York prompting him to start over again in Hawaii, as far as he can get from his problems. Down and discouraged upon arrival, he quickly finds himself immersed in a crime and the subsequent trial while his presence in Hawaii and its laid-back lifestyle open up new ways of personal thinking. ...more
SA
Nov 17, 2011 SA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
After reading the Mahu series by Neil Plakcy, I thought mysteries set in Hawai'i might be a good way to familiarize myself with more of Hawai'ian literature. Based on a recommendation by the folks at Hawai'i Book Blog I picked this up.

It's pretty entertaining--I don't read much boilerplate mystery, and in general I'm less interested in the stories of haoles who come to the island and basically only hang out in Waikiki, but it was entertaining and certainly worthy of the praise it has received.
Gloria
Jul 24, 2013 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like the show "Burn Notice" the tone of that show is similar to what you will find in this novel. This is a solid, well-written legal thriller with unquestionably funny moments and interesting ethical undercurrents. A young attorney has experienced a major setback in his otherwise successful career in New York prompting him to start over again in Hawaii, as far as he can get from his problems. Down and discouraged upon arrival, he quickly finds himself immersed in a crime and the subseque ...more
Lori Paximadis
I enjoyed this quick mystery, although it does require quite a bit of suspension of disbelief about all of the many coincidences of the same people just happening to run into each other over and over again. Many things seem to fall into place way too neatly. It was especially interesting to me because I have lived in Honolulu, where the book is set, and the author has done a nice job of capturing that atmosphere. Overall, it was well done and entertaining.

As always, I wish Goodreads had a 10-st
Kate
Criminal defence lawyer seeking a quiet life of obscurity in Hawaii. A run of the mill legal thriller/whodunnit. A little predictable. Airport reading and disappointing in terms of literature of place. Yes the setting is Oʻahu, but predictable stereotype local characters and generic descriptions of standard tourists hotspots and activities. Conventional. I will not be putting this on any Hawaiian reading lists as it just does not stand out enough in any of my criterion. Undemanding genre readers ...more
Paul
Jul 04, 2016 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A so-so book with all weak characters. The main character is a slovenly lawyer who spends his life taking advantage of others and using anyone he can to promote his interests. Maybe he should have been a cop. Even his friends say he is weak and not respectable.
The story line is another lawyer whodunnit, and the author throws in a tropical venue, the mob, and a relationship to try to spice up the boring tale. Unless you are an inspiring lawyer who likes to read about trials and lawyer shenanigans
Robert
May 11, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hawaii
Mary Sue
Mar 28, 2013 Mary Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very happy to find this new author and series of mysteries that take place in my favorite place, Hawaii.
Our hero Kevin abandons a law practice in New York. Despite an early opinion that there is no good food in Oahu, he adapts, finds colleagues, to work with, and lands an intereśing case. Good twists and turns.
Bonnie McHenry
Aug 21, 2012 Bonnie McHenry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kevin-corvelli
Very enjoyable read even though with only about 30 pages left in the book I was able to figure out the "who done it"! Well written with great one liners, visually descriptive scenes of Hawaii and a fun banter that exist between 2 lawyers and a wanna be private investigator. Will continue on to the next book in the series.
Collyn
Jan 20, 2015 Collyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read! This was my first Douglas Corleone & it certainly won't be my last.
The setting was amazing, the story was awesome, the wit was enjoyable & the mystery was spot on.
*5 Stars! [I'd give 10 if I could]
Misty
Jul 30, 2010 Misty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the character Kevin Corvelli and can't wait for more of his adventures. This suspenseful book takes you all around Oahu with all manner of suspects. For a full review and an interview with the author visit: Hawaii Book Blog
Mickey Hoffman
Jun 16, 2010 Mickey Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a hoot. I'm not that into first person narratives, but Corleone did it well. The protagonist is a New York attorney who has just moved to Hawaii with a lot extra baggage as the cliche goes. The culture shock was well done.
Highly recommended.
Brenda
Dec 13, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the drinking, drugs, and sex were taken out of this book, it'd be awfully short. I almost gave up, but the book did improve as it went along and I enjoyed it. This was a debut novel by the author, and I hope the next ones are as good or better.
Laurie Hanan
Oct 13, 2011 Laurie Hanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the endearing Kevin Corvelli.It rarely happens that I'm sorry to come to the end of a book. This was one of those.
Jeri
Nov 21, 2013 Jeri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Very well written, funny debut mystery set in Hawaii. I hope it is the first of many for this author and main character!
Douglas Brown
Jul 18, 2015 Douglas Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The words flow nicely with some good humour. I predicted the outcome half way through the book, but it was well worth the read getting there.
Definitely going to read the rest of his books.
Naomi
Aug 09, 2012 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot of fun. Similar tone and humor to the Stephanie Plum series, but more literary and the main character is a dude. I intend to read the next two in the series for sure!
Brucie
A completely ordinary adequate lawyer/detective story about a clueless idot with an unforseen twist at the end so all is well. Not getting any awards from me.
Pat Lampe
Oct 27, 2011 Pat Lampe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this light-hearted mystery set in Hawaii featuring a NYC attorney. Well plotted and well written with likable characters and lots of action. Well deserved award winner.
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Rosemarie
Rosemarie rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dance with the Dragon (Kirk McGarvey, #12)
  • Lost Angel
  • Hideout (Richard Chrisite, #5)
  • The Lord of Death (Inspector Shan, #6)
  • Sly Fox (Dani Fox, #1)
  • Lost Things: A Novella
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • The Dead Assassin: The Paranormal Casebooks of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Midnight
  • Requiem for a Gypsy (Commander Jana Matinova, #4)
  • Jericho's Fall
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • Never Wave Goodbye
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • Big City, Bad Blood (Ray Dudgeon, #1)
  • Love Songs from a Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • The Shadow of Death (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #9)
  • Faint Praise (Jane Lawless, #6)
Douglas Corleone is the highly acclaimed and award-winning author of contemporary thrillers. His debut novel, ONE MAN'S PARADISE, introducing hotshot defense attorney Kevin Corvelli was a finalist for the 2010 Shamus Award for Best First Novel and winner of the 2009 Minotaur Books/Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Award. Corleone's other novels in the Kevin Corvelli series include NIGHT ...more
More about Douglas Corleone...

Kevin Corvelli (3 books)
  • Night on Fire (Kevin Corvelli #2)
  • Last Lawyer Standing (Kevin Corvelli #3)