Clementine in the Kitchen

Clementine in the Kitchen

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Collects French recipes for everyday dishes and gourmet meals prepared by Clementine, a Burgundian cook for the Chamberlain family living first in post-World War II France, then in Massachusetts.
Published February 20th 2001 by Modern Library (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Clementine in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clementine in the Kitchen

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisThe School of Essential Ingredients by Erica BauermeisterLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelMy Life in France by Julia ChildJulie and Julia by Julie Powell
Nouvelle Cuisine
102nd out of 294 books — 169 voters
Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony BourdainLiterary Feasts by Barbara ScraffordThe Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana KennedyThe Complete Book of Greek Cooking by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox C...The Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson
King's Books Cookbook Club
50th out of 88 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Pippin
A fascinating view into American and French cuisine circa 1940. Clementine is a delight and she is at the center of this story - rightly so. I was amazed that so many of the current attitudes to food were already in place before the second world war: supermarkets, pre-packaged food, color advertising, in store music, and on and on. Contrast that with the markets in france at the same time and two cultures approaches to food stand in stark relief.
Joyce
Pulled this off the shelf for Clark and decided to reread it myself.

An American family living in Senlis, France, quickly repatriates in 1939, bringing their Burgundien cook Clementine with them to Marblehead, Mass.

It's a charming story of cultural adaptation: the family to French cuisine (even the 15-year-old daughter enjoys tete de veau) and later, Clementine to the American way of life. In describing Clementine's reaction to supermarkets (brand new in 1940), we get a fascinating glimpse of th...more
Sally Anne
Three stars does not really convey the delights of this well-written book that originated as Gourmet Magazine articles around the time of the Second World War. Yes, the tone is somewhat patronistic male, but it is also loving and appreciative. And who'd a thunk that people were complaining about supermarket food in the 1940s? The book includes a bunch of recipes, none of which I have tried, but if you like rich food, I'll bet they are good.

And to think I stumbled upon this gem on a stoop in Broo...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Clementine is a French cook transplanted to Marblehead, Massachusetts on the eve of WWII. She leaves her native land in the company of the family that has employed her in France - the narrator being the family's young son who discovered the mysteries and confusions of the new world along with Clementine. Nice complement to Julia Child's works, finding ways to make classic French cuisine in a place bereft of most needed ingredients, and finding ways to make American ingredients part of a new clas...more
*Kate
Clementine in the Kitchen is a fun little autobiography of an upper-class American family who lived in France before WWII and moved, along with their personal French cook back to the states as the war was heating up. I felt the book got a little pretentious at times ... with significant sentences in French, I felt the author would definitely look down his nose at me for not being able to translate. I definitely look at it as an autobiography and not as a cookbook. Despite the many recipes, there...more
Pinki
Jan 18, 2008 Pinki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who reads cookbooks for fun
This book is amazing and not so amazing. It is a cookbook and an autobiography of a family who lived in pre WW II France with their beloved cook Clementine. The author of the book sounded a little snobby in regards to the types of wines, techniques, and 3 or 4 sentences at a time in French with no explanation preceding it. All in all, this book will make your mouth water, want to experiment with French cooking, and actually visit the remote French country side. The best part is there are over 16...more
Rebecca
Interesting read about an American family living in France before WWII and their cordon bleu trained French cook. As war is declared they move back to the US and their cook comes with them. I imagine when these columns were published in Gourmet magazine as the war was raising they seemed exotic as well as of a time past. Now many of the recipes and techniques just seem normal. These chapters are written in a very stylized writing form and will not appeal to everyone. The drawings are by the auth...more
Alys
A sweet story of inter cultural adaptation. Parts were a bit too cute for me, but it's interesting to see the "French" way of doing all things cuisine described in such detail. If anything, it inspired me to check out some Julia Child. As a pseudo-vegetarian, only about half the recipes were of interest; however, they do indeed seem worth seeking the ingredients for. Also the chapter on escargot (a bit my mom read to me years ago that got us both in stitches) is priceless.
Taylor Schena
This book was charming, cheerful and mouth-watering. The last chunk of the book consists of French recipes which are also sprinkled throughout every chapter. Don't read if you're hungry! The stories of Clementine adapting to American culture, coming from a small French village, are cute and hilarious. It's a lovely book. The picturesque descriptions of France, food, and Coastal New England, pre-WWII are thoroughly enjoyable. Truly recommend it.
Sara
Completely nostalgic, still the writing and recipes are simple and approachable. The idea of French food being comfortable, natural and basic pervades. I also love to read about details comparing French markets and shops to the budding supermarkets of 1950's America. This book is a great companion to Julia Child's reminiscing of 1930's Paris.
I've made several things from this book and they are classic.
Dan Ryan
Dec 04, 2008 Dan Ryan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies, francophiles
An enormously pleasurable read. This book chronicles a family's relationship with their French cook they hired while in France for business, and brought back with them in the months before Hitler invaded. Despite the serious background, this book is light-hearted and full of recipes. With less than 200 pages of real text before the appendix of recipes, it's a quick view into a time and place forever vanished.
Arwen
Sep 14, 2007 Arwen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like to eat
The first of the narrative cookbooks I ever read. I didn't know such bliss existed! The story of an American family in France before the second world war and their Burgundian cook, and the things she made for them, and then how she adapts once they move to America during the war. Such delicious food! Reading it is like eating a meal. The section on making escargot is the best.
Emily
I loved this book!!! It's totally sweet and silly - with lovely illustrations. I haven't tried any of the recipes but they seem good - unlike many old cookbooks they don't ask you to do impossible things like get a teacup full of leaf lard or hang a duck in a cool part of your cellar for 2 weeks…
Patricia
The decision to reissue this pre-war memoir was a good one because the stories, though maybe not the recipes, are fresh and light. I never get tired of reading about Americans in France and this is an especially funny entry in that genre.
Dianne
Silly, but pleasant. More interesting as a history of how a certain echelon of people once lived--with private cooks who were treated almost as family members. A little off-putting for those of you who are proles.
Melissa
This was an enjoyable tale! I especially liked Chamberlain's drawings throughout. I'm now trying to hunt down a copy of one of the prints, "Manhattan Twilight."
Jono
nothing at all earth-shattering, but sort of cute. if you've got a foodie/francophile friend, they'll enjoy this slice of "everday life." We are what we eat, indeed.
Ellie
It's neat to peek into American's diet during 1940s and see how different definitions of what's gourmet then and now. This book made me hungry!
Keri Daskam
Although sometimes laborious, Francophiles and Foodies alike will find this full of gems.

Karen
Oct 31, 2010 Karen marked it as cook-book-wish-list
History AND food. Could it get any better?
Ann
save to try out pureed soup recipes
Kathryn
Jan 15, 2010 Kathryn marked it as to-read
friend of Paul and Julia Child.
Sheila
A light, happy read!
Linda
such a sweet story. So easy to read. The recipes still hold up.
Tamela
Tamela marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Hadley
Hadley marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Bibliovixen
Bibliovixen marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lynette Milliman
Lynette Milliman marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Nancy Morowitz
Nancy Morowitz marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
  • Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet
  • More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
  • Travels with Alice
  • Serve It Forth
  • Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking
  • An Omelette and a Glass of Wine
  • Apricots on the Nile: A Memoir with Recipes
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!
  • Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris
  • Two for the Road: Our Love Affair with American Food
  • Blue Jelly: Love Lost and the Lessons of Canning
  • The Gastronomy of Marriage: A Memoir of Food and Love
  • The Seasons on Henry's Farm: A Year of Food and Life on a Sustainable Farm
  • Fannie's Last Supper: Re-creating One Amazing Meal from Fannie Farmer's 1896 Cookbook
  • Secret Ingredients: The New Yorker Book of Food and Drink
  • History of Food
  • Pretty Good Number One: An American Family Eats Tokyo
  • Beaten, Seared, and Sauced: On Becoming a Chef at the Culinary Institute of America
Samuel V. Chamberlain (1895-1975) was an author, illustrator photographer and artist who occasionally wrote under the pseudonym Phineas Beck. His works include books on historical architecture, interiors, fashion illustration, and cookbooks.

More about Samuel V. Chamberlain...
British Bouquet: An Epicurean Tour of Britain Italian Bouquet: An Epicurean Tour of Italy Old Marblehead: A Camera Impression Historic Deerfield: Houses and Interiors Charleston Interiors