Start by marking “Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements” as Want to Read:
Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements

Wellbeing: The Five Essential Elements

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  585 ratings  ·  77 reviews
When striving to improve our lives, we’re quick to buy into programs that promise to help us make money, lose weight, or strengthen our relationships. While it might be easier to treat these critical areas as if they are independent, they’re not. Gallup’s comprehensive study of people in more than 150 countries revealed five universal, interconnected elements that shape ou ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Gallup Press

To ask other readers questions about Wellbeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wellbeing

Heather
Good book. Very appropriate New Year's read....especially as you're sitting on an exercise bike. :) Well-being is Gallup's research and survey of thousands of people around the country and the world about what matters to them in their life and what makes it meaningful. There are five essential elements:
* career well-being (enjoying what you do each day)
* social well-being (having strong relationships)
* financial well-being (having enough for the necessities)
* physical well-being (enjoying h
Hafedh
I generally like books that start with a concept and then go through the logic and supporting arguments to prove it. This book however is mostly based on surveys and statistics that the Gallup organization has been conducting. Nevertheless, given the huge volume and variety of samples taken, the book is an interesting read. I liked how they divided the overall being into the five categories. And, believe or not, once you mold the findings of the surveys and you try to improve in each of the five ...more
Jena
Overall, I really liked the book and would recommend it to a friend. Not only was it a quick and manageable read, but it had a great message: the need for a balanced life for the sake of one's well-being.

The authors asserted that there were 5 essential elements to living a balanced life and these were: career, social, financial, physical, and community well-being. They state that career well-being is the most important of these elements because it touches every part of one's life. Although this
Lindsay
It is a very quick read, to the point, quick blurbs from their studies. Is a good basic way to examine your life and see if you're making the best of it. As they mention in the end, little changes to your daily life can make a big difference.

Here are my notes from the book:
Career Well Being
• People recover quicker from the loss of a spouse (death or divorce) then the loss of a job
• You don’t need to earn a paycheck to have a thriving Career Well Being – just be engaged in something you enjoy.
Sergei_kalinin
Что из себя представляет книга? Она очень небольшая - 148 страниц, из которых содержательного текста - страниц 90. На этих страницах подробно описываются те самые 5 элементов благополучия, про которые книга:

1. Профессиональное благополучие
2. Социальное благополучие
3. Финансовое благополучие
4. Физическое благополучие
5. В среде проживания

Такой вот практически лайф-коучинг :) Можно даже на основе этих факторов благополучия "колесо баланса" рисовать :))

"Благополучие" в понимание авторов - это именн
Maria Ella
I have to like this book for this have helped me shaped up my thesis proposal. Let's pray that I can survive this stage so that I will (FINALLY) have my degree by May.

Personal Notations:
The idea of a work-life balance started with Segmentation theory during the 1960s, where the life aspect should be separated to the functions of the work. One of the contemporary approaches to has a concept that the work-life balance consists of multiple facets that preced balance and give meaning to it - known a
Mohamed AlSharqi
Interesting, easy read!

Good book if you’re looking to take a more proactive stance on your current life/wellbeing standing. The authors argue that wellbeing can be achieved through career wellbeing, social wellbeing, financial wellbeing, physical wellbeing, and community wellbeing. This book does not go into what motivates us in life and it being a source of wellbeing, but instead it discusses the mediums (that are in our control) that we can improve in order to live a more fulfilling life.

The
Jill

While I appreciate the amount of research and thought into well being, I felt that an essential element was missing and it was faith. Almost every other aspect of my wellbeing is impacted by the current strength of my relationship with God. So while I will work hard to keep the five elements discussed in the "thriving" category, I will also put focus on my spiritual life, as that greatly impacts all else.
Donovan
Quick read. Devoured it in one setting. HIGHLY recommend to everyone. Now I just need to take the assessment and see how my well being comes out - definitely plenty of room for improvement.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 150 RAT

Available.
Faye
A quick and easy read that might just be a sticky tool for improving your well-being.

I think the online component will help me and other get the most benefit from this book. Having to report in on progress and the graphing/ tracking tools are similar to those, and perhaps more technically exciting than those, I’ve seen expensive life coaches use. So, for the price, this may have the potential to be quite useful. Hey, I went to the gym today and I know I wouldn’t have if I wasn’t dreading having
Greg Stoll
Interesting book, although it was quite short (the last half is appendices with methodologies and such).

The main premise is that there are five main dimensions to well-being: Career, Social, Financial, Physical, and Community. There's a short section on each, and that's basically it. I would have rated the book higher, but I've read similar stuff before.

Career: Use your strengths (big surprise coming from Gallup :-) ), try to grow, and spend social time with your coworkers. Also: being unemploye
This book highlights five "essential elements" of feeling good about life. They are: Career Wellbeing, Social Wellbeing, Financial Wellbeing, Physical Wellbeing, and Community Wellbeing. I bought this book in June when I was trying to heal from the break-up with Jeff. I thought it would give me insight into how both of us felt last spring, as I believe that these characteristics of 'wellbeing' were suffering for both of us.

Unfortunately, this book was not full of life-altering information. Overa
Leland Beaumont
Many definitions of wisdom focus on judgment and actions that increase wellbeing. With wellbeing central to the concept of wisdom, it becomes important to know what it is and how it can be improved.

Authors Tom Rath and Jim Harter marshaled the considerable resources of the Gallup organization to identify the elements of wellbeing. They began by defining wellbeing as all the things that are important to how we think about and experience our lives. They then used carefully constructed survey meth
Maron
Although the book describes all of the in-depth research that was conducted to reach the findings, I didn't find the results to be very insightful or new. Maybe I was expecting a lot, but much of it seemed like a common sense summary of ways to live a good life. It did conclude each wellbeing chapter with three action items, I left reading with a kind of "so what" feeling. Overall, helpful as a general summary/guide, but nothing you didn't know before.
Kandice Newren
I read this book for a book club. It's a pretty short book, but it gives a lot of information. If you buy the book new, you get to find out your happiness level. I can see how they came up with five categories, and each will be a little different for each person. The book covers why each category is important and gives a few suggestions to increase happiness in each category. They leave the true legwork to the reader.
Linda Sands
I enjoyed this book which considers wellbeing as composed of 5 essential elements: Career Wellbeing, Social Wellbeing, Financial Wellbeing, Physical Wellbeing and Community Wellbeing. I particularly found interesting their view that Career Wellbeing is the most essential element, after all, it is our career/work that we spend most of our time doing and gives us an identity. If we are not engaged and thriving in the workplace, this will impact all parts of our life. I'm sure anyone who has sudden ...more
Alexandrea
I love that Gallup provided a summary of the various ways it conducted its research in coming up with the five essential elements of wellbeing. The dailytracker feature that allows you to track day-to-day wellbeing and its factors is a great way to look at what makes you happy, causes you stress, and how your workload or the amount of sleep you got makes a difference. I truly believe that wellbeing is not just about financial or emotional or physical wellbeing, and that the five elements are int ...more
Jacob Kojfman
A quick and easy read. Rath focuses on the 5 elements that make anyone successful and gives reasons why those elements make us successful and some suggestions on how to improve our lives to have success in these five elements.
Misty
Good light read in between my school schedule. Interesting and subjective statistics that can be topically applied and tracked for elevating and overall well-being. The five elements being: career, social, financial, physical, and community. Relatively basic concepts, if given thought.
Cole Watts
The content in this book may seem elementary for some, revolutionary for others. It is a good, practical read that is best done slowly with time for introspective thinking and writing.
Jessica
I read this book as a recommendation from a colleague at the University I work for. It was not a bad read. I have never been a fan of self help books. Gallup conducted the research for this book and I did disagree on there five elements of overall wellbeing. I know they mentioned spiritual wellbeing a bit in the beginning but I find it hard to believe it was not one of the acutal elements. I took the survey online and my overall wellbeing is at 70, the global avg is 64. I apparently am thriving ...more
Jessie
I like the basic concepts in this book but I was disappointed in the size of the book. Almost half of the pages are appendix information and data dumps.
Stephen
I liked the main idea of this book a lot, and I think it's going to be a big help for me in the long run. Basically, it's the idea that well being is a component of 5 major life areas, and that we shouldn't judge our success based on any one area. There's the physical, financial, career, social,
and community areas and there are a few actionable steps suggested for each area in order to improve.
I think it's great advice, plus the book comes with a 6 month subscription to an online wellness tracke
Danni
I liked this book. It had some really good ideas. I have read books by him before and he is a good author.
Nathan Taylor
Good basic read on 5 of the elements of wellness. It's an easy read with some good stats and studies referenced. It seems like perhaps one of the main purposes of the book though is for Gallup to get more data collected... through their on-line tracker that they give you access to with the book. Not a bad thing but I don't think the content of the book is necessarily earth shattering.
I'm interested to get into using the tracker and see how helpful it can be.
Chris
Dec 08, 2010 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Good, quick read. Well organized for easy recall. I've been quoting this to my friends for two weeks now. Some of the take-aways.

1) Not all elements of wellness are equally weighted. Career satisfaction is more weighty than, say, physical wellness. But career satisfaction is described more broadly as "doing something you love and do well every day." That is way, say the authors, it is so critical to identify strengths and then find opportunities where one can use his/her strengths.

2) Eat red, bl
Missa Gallivan

This book didn't really have any new information to bring to the table in my opinion. I mean, we all know that we should save money, eat our vegetables and spend time win our loved ones, right? It did offer some interesting statistics to support all the things that we know we should be doing which adds additional fuel to the fire. My favorite part about it, though, was the practical tips that were suggested about how to incorporate the aspects of well being into your every day life. That kind o
John Purfield
Had it's moments. Just all the statistics weren't for me.
Avolyn Fisher
This book was amazing! I love learning tons of facts about every day applicable information. It was also well backed with various studies that had been done on a variety of topics expressed within this book. Such an easy read as well!

I am in a sorority and I was planning a development series to launch in the spring that would meet once a month to give our members valuable information to help them develop their life vision, goals, etc. throughout college or even after college and I am definitely
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
  • Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success
  • Happiness: Unlocking the Mysteries of Psychological Wealth
  • The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
  • The Way We're Working Isn't Working: The Four Forgotten Needs That Energize Great Performance
  • Living Your Strengths: Discover Your God-Given Talents and Inspire Your Community
  • What You Can Change and What You Can't: The Complete Guide to Successful Self-Improvement
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Dromen, Durven, Doen: Het managen van de lastigste persoon op aarde: jezelf
  • Beyond Boredom Anxiety Flow 25th Anniv
  • Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching, and Keeping the Best People
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • Aging Well: Surprising Guideposts to a Happier Life from the Landmark Study of Adult Development
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • Real Love
  • Compelling People: The Hidden Qualities That Make Us Influential
  • What Color Is Your Parachute?  2010: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers
EAT MOVE SLEEP: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes by Tom Rath will be released in October 2013. Tom's previous books have sold more than 5 million copies and made over 250 appearances on the Wall Street Journal Bestseller list. Connect with Tom at:

- eatmovesleep.org
- www.tomrath.org
- Facebook.com/AuthorTomRath
- Twitter.com/TomCRath
- Google.com/+TomRath
- Linkedin.com/in/trath/
More about Tom Rath...
StrengthsFinder 2.0 Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow How Full Is Your Bucket? Eat Move Sleep: How Small Choices Lead to Big Changes How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids

“Wellbeing is about the combination of our love for what we do each day, the quality of our relationships, the security of our finances, the vibrancy of our physical health, and the pride we take in what we have contributed to our communities. Most importantly, it’s about how these five elements interact.” 16 likes
“the single biggest threat to our own wellbeing tends to be ourselves” 5 likes