3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An entertaining and informative guide to the Britishkings and queens—minus the boring parts

Bursting with the best bits from British history, this follow-up to Thirty Days Has September seeks to inspire a love of history that can last a lifetime. It is suitable for a gift from parent to child and a learning companion to help allkids have fun getting the basics of British h...more
Published July 9th 2010 by Michael O'Mara (first published October 1st 2009)

Elle
It's taken me about 3 months to admit that this is quite possibly thee most boring book alive.

I love history.

This sucks the life from it.

EDIT:

With this being so short I've decided to try finish this book. I actually managed to complete the last section in one reading burst. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood before but I did enjoy bit of it. I liked the middle part of the book the best because it focused on history I actually enjoyed. The ancient history and modern history kinda went over my head a...more
Catherine McDonald
Martin Oliver

This is an exciting and quirky new book that is sure to get children’s attentions in exploring a different history of Britain.
History is a subject that needs to be made accessible and exciting in the classroom. There may be a lack of interest in how the subject is being approached so this book is an excellent resource to have in Key Stage Two.
It provides an alternative and humorous way of looking at events in history. The e...more
Cahya
It was an okay read. For a quick and very short summary to the British History that is written in a colloquial manner, this book would be quite relevant. However, it gets a bit boring and somewhat induces skepticism about the accuracy of the facts presented.

At the very least, this book can be a starting point because it got me raising questions for further research.
Sophie
My backpacking companion and I picked this up at the British Museum and alternated reading to each other as we traveled over the next month. A cheap, comprehensive overview of British history - not the most sophisticated on the market, but easy to follow and fairly entertaining.
Flipping through this book it looks like a really cool introduction to the rich and lengthy British history. (The B&W illustrations are humorous too.) This is going onto our to-read list for when my son is a bit older. I'd say it is definitely for late elementary/early middle school age.
I'm torn between a 2 and 3 star review for this. When it's good, it's good, but it's just too broad to be useful.

A major downside is that this isn't really about British History - it's really about English history. Even the few elements of Scottish history in there (Wallace, Bruce, Mary QOS and James VI) are told from the viewpoint of how they impacted England. There's a little about Wales, but not much.

Not recommended for Kindle readers - you lose something with the illustrations.
Victoria Brown
I picked up this interesting little gem of a book whilst I was on holiday ! I couldn't put it down I think I read it in about 3 days ! It's not particularly long, it's packed full of interesting facts about British history which I wasn't aware of ! The little illustrations also add to the charm of this book. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a light hearted little book of facts!
Becca Packer
Well I got 13 pages into it and lost track of how much they got wrong. Thought it would be a quick review of everything I pretty much know but the amount of how much was wrong hurt too much to keep reading. silly Americans.
Larelle
Okay, but probably a little *too* broad. I think it might have been better as a series, with a little more time spent on more detail so kids could get small doses that were detailed enough but still interesting.
Melyni
Full of interesting facts about English history made easy to understand. It's a quick read, only being 125 pages and filled with funny comics. Definitely worth my time.
Guan Jie Fung
Tells you a lot about the british history with the funny and weird bits in it. Don`t like it when it talks about the queens and kings.
Verity Elizabeth
This is more a 3.5 rating really, a good book and I did learn a few new things too!
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Anneleen
Anneleen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Zoe Slocombe
Zoe Slocombe marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Sunita
Sunita is currently reading it
Jan 04, 2014
Luis Oliveira
Luis Oliveira marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Martin Oliver lives in the United Kingdom.
More about Martin Oliver...
Groovy Movies (The Knowledge) Dead Dinosaurs (Knowledge S.) Search for the Sunken City The Intergalactic Bus Trip Agent Arthur's Jungle Journey