Start by marking “Off with their Heads!: All the Cool Bits in British History” as Want to Read:

Off with their Heads!: All the Cool Bits in British History

An entertaining and informative guide to the British kings and queens—minus the boring parts

Bursting with the best bits from British history, this follow-up to Thirty Days Has September seeks to inspire a love of history that can last a lifetime. It is suitable for a gift from parent to child and a learning companion to help all kids have fun getting the basics of Briti
Published July 9th 2010 by Michael O'Mara (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Off with their Heads!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off with their Heads!

Elle
Apr 07, 2012 Elle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It's taken me about 3 months to admit that this is quite possibly thee most boring book alive.

I love history.

This sucks the life from it.

EDIT:

With this being so short I've decided to try finish this book. I actually managed to complete the last section in one reading burst. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood before but I did enjoy bit of it. I liked the middle part of the book the best because it focused on history I actually enjoyed. The ancient history and modern history kinda went over my head a
Catherine McDonald
Martin Oliver

This is an exciting and quirky new book that is sure to get children’s attentions in exploring a different history of Britain.
History is a subject that needs to be made accessible and exciting in the classroom. There may be a lack of interest in how the subject is being approached so this book is an excellent resource to have in Key Stage Two.
It provides an alternative and humorous way of looking at events in history. The e
Cahya
Jan 06, 2014 Cahya rated it liked it
It was an okay read. For a quick and very short summary to the British History that is written in a colloquial manner, this book would be quite relevant. However, it gets a bit boring and somewhat induces skepticism about the accuracy of the facts presented.

At the very least, this book can be a starting point because it got me raising questions for further research.
Malinda
Jan 31, 2017 Malinda rated it really liked it
I found this short book on British history to be totally enjoyable! Not only did it get me excited to someday visit and explore where it all took place, but it also left me wanting to dive deeper and learn more.
Leslie
May 01, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
This is written for kids - or for the kids in us. It's basically short (around 160 pages perhaps) with larger font and funny/silly drawings. However, this isn't a negative. It was a fun read and gave quick overviews of some of British history. If you want greater detail, this isn't the book for you. But if you know nothing, Jon Snow, then check this book out. Now, speaking of greater detail, that's what I'm seeking out. If anyone has any recommendations for an enjoyable yet in-depth book about B ...more
Victoria Brown
Jul 25, 2013 Victoria Brown rated it it was amazing
I picked up this interesting little gem of a book whilst I was on holiday ! I couldn't put it down I think I read it in about 3 days ! It's not particularly long, it's packed full of interesting facts about British history which I wasn't aware of ! The little illustrations also add to the charm of this book. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a light hearted little book of facts!
Becca Packer
Feb 02, 2013 Becca Packer rated it did not like it
Well I got 13 pages into it and lost track of how much they got wrong. Thought it would be a quick review of everything I pretty much know but the amount of how much was wrong hurt too much to keep reading. silly Americans.
Mar 05, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Flipping through this book it looks like a really cool introduction to the rich and lengthy British history. (The B&W illustrations are humorous too.) This is going onto our to-read list for when my son is a bit older. I'd say it is definitely for late elementary/early middle school age.
Sophie
Jun 09, 2014 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
My backpacking companion and I picked this up at the British Museum and alternated reading to each other as we traveled over the next month. A cheap, comprehensive overview of British history - not the most sophisticated on the market, but easy to follow and fairly entertaining.
Larelle
Jan 04, 2012 Larelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: recently-read
Okay, but probably a little *too* broad. I think it might have been better as a series, with a little more time spent on more detail so kids could get small doses that were detailed enough but still interesting.
Guan Jie Fung
Jun 15, 2011 Guan Jie Fung rated it really liked it
Tells you a lot about the british history with the funny and weird bits in it. Don`t like it when it talks about the queens and kings. ...more
Lil's Vintage World
Dec 06, 2012 Lil's Vintage World rated it liked it
This is more a 3.5 rating really, a good book and I did learn a few new things too!
Melyni
Jul 27, 2012 Melyni rated it it was amazing
Full of interesting facts about English history made easy to understand. It's a quick read, only being 125 pages and filled with funny comics. Definitely worth my time.
chris
Sep 28, 2016 chris rated it it was amazing
Quick easy read about the history of Briton.
CuteBadger
Basic facts on British history clearly explained - a useful reminder of what we've all forgotten since our schooldays.
Nicholas Butler
Nicholas Butler rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2013
Kathrina
Kathrina rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
David Thomas
David Thomas rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Nadene
Nadene rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Anabela
Anabela rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2014
Ste
Ste rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Emma Shore
Emma Shore rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Martin Glassborow
Martin Glassborow rated it it was ok
Aug 03, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Evita
Evita rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Sarah Pavlick
Sarah Pavlick rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Martin Oliver lives in the United Kingdom.
More about Martin Oliver...