Start by marking “Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #3)

Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,384 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Published February 19th 2003 by Harper (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ties That Bind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ties That Bind

Kristen
In Phillip Margolin's Ties that Bind, the 3rd book in the Amanda Jaffe legal thriller series, it packed a big punch of surprises on both sides of the spectrum. Murder, intrigue, politics, it was all in there. Amanda Jaffe survived the Cardoni attack, a while back, while it left her traumatized and avoiding the limelight. That was until she took on the case on Jon Dupre, who ran an upscale call girl service, and was accused of murdering the US senator. But he had proof of the existence of a secre ...more
 Marla
Lots of characters to track. Amanda Jaffe is a character in the series, but it's not really about her or from her point of view.

Likes:
* Great plot twists
* Whodathunkit endings
* Tough to tell good guys from bad guys
* Spoilers about the first book were avoided
* Ally Bennett, beautifully exotic high-priced call girl was a clever lady and interesting character
(view spoiler)
Coleen
11/3/10 -- I don't read as many thrillers as I used to, but it seems like when I do read one these days, it ends up being an abridged audio, which is not always the best choice I don't think. This one moved too fast for me. I think the storyline was decent, but I would've followed it better had it not been abridged. I found myself having a little trouble keeping track of who was who & while there were a few plot twists in this one, they seemed pretty abrupt. As for the audio itself, I didn't ...more
Jamie
A story about corruption and conspiracy. The Vaughn Street Glee Club was a good idea for the book. The story heats up at page 300. The ending seemed like it would be continued with Pedro Aragon being the loose thread.
Alison
This was a real spell binding, fast paced, murder mystery with characters that either you loved or hated. Some of the characters were people you'd love to associate with; others scared the dickens out of you just being in the same room. While the story itself was fascinating (murders, whores, high profile judges, senators, lawyers, you get my drift)what left me spellbound was the very unexpected twist towards the end. When I read a mystery, I try to read between the lines, to anticipate where th ...more
Jose Hernandez
Really enjoyed it

Success is fleeting; nobody knows this better than lawyer Amanda Jaffe, She had been the undisputed rising star of Portland's legal community, but in a cruel twist of irony, the same case that put her on the map -- the Cardoni trial, which pitted Amanda against a brilliant sociopath (in the New York Times bestseller Wild Justice) -- had left her traumatized, doubting her instincts, and shunning the limelight.

This reticence ends when Amanda agrees to handle the case no one else w
Nani
I really liked the first Amanda Jaffe book but this one was even better loved the way the story flowed with lots of players and what seemed like lines that didn’t go together until they did fit perfectly together. It’s definitely a story that demands the reader’s attention, but the action and logic make it easy to give it that full attention. This was definitely a book I couldn’t put down, really, I was irritated by a couple of meetings that I didn’t have to sit in a waiting room for a prolonged ...more
Dobby0390
This is the first Phillip Margolin book I've read, but it won't be the last. All I can really say about this book is - Wow.

I prefer a writing style that is crisper - Robert B Parker, Lee Child, Robert Crais - so it took me awhile to settle into Margolin's more narrative style. The difference in writing styles slows down the action, but it also keeps you steeped in the characters' emotions longer. (view spoiler)
Jerry
Complex plot pleases with suspense-filled twists and turns...

Margolin is not as well known as Grisham or Scott Turow, but he can write a legal thriller with equal suspense. Here is his eighth novel to date; its complex plot had just the right number of characters so we could keep track, unlike his prior book, "The Associate", which seemed to us to be overpopulated with shallow characters and red herrings.

It's difficult to report on much of the action without revealing the fine story line, but D
Bob
Large Print Pgs 550
Prolog
Pedro Aragon is a drug dealer in Portland OR and tonight he as an appointment with 3 preppy college guys for a big buy. He is at his “office” along with his guards and workers when the 3 show up in their red Jag. After a few minutes of talk Pedro turns to take them to the back room to complete the deal, but before he finishes his turn his outside guard crashes through the door dripping blood, followed by 3 armed black men. Pedro is on their turf and after taking care of
Susan Ashcraft
Apr 13, 2012 Susan Ashcraft rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers
Amanda Jaffe, an up and coming criminal defense lawyer in Portland, is still battling demons caused by PTSD. A year earlier she had been kidnapped and abused by a sociopath but managed to escape. She is determined to get her life back on track but seeing crime scene photos of a badly ravaged and bloated woman on the beach sends her into shock. She's worried she will never get over her trauma.

Tim Kerrigan, a prosecutor in Portland, is a married man with a young daughter whom he adores. No one kno
Stephanie
Another reliably exciting read from Phillip Margolin. Has this tuy EVER written something that was less than REALLY good? I haven't read it, if he has!

Amanda Jaffe is back - she was in a prior novel...as was Daniel Ames, who is mentioned in this one but not a major character. Intersting that he is living now with Amanda's investigator.

I didn't see the Maria Lopez piece coming...and the end WAS bit contrived -- sort of deus ex machina-ish, yet TOTALLY right on for the movie that should be made of
Beth
I have read some of the others in this series. I find the lead a realistic woman doing a hard job and solving mysteries.

This one is mostly conspiracy leaning towards the evil that men can do when they think they are better than everyone else.

A bit much of violence but the good guy wins. A great twist in the storyline shows that some men are just as good as you think they can be.
Tremont G
Audiobook - ANNOYING narration! The normal voice was OK but when she did the men's voices I wanted to rip off my ears! I'm done with this series. I found the book to be boring and scattered. Maybe it was just the stupid voices but I could not get into this at all!
Clay
Mar 08, 2014 Clay added it
This is the first Phillip Margolin book I have read. I was honestly ready to put it away after the first three chapters, but something told me it to give it a little longer. I am so glad I did! It is actually a very good read and well written. I LOVED the surprise twist that was completely unexpected.
Thank you, Mr. Margolin for writing a book that was fun to read and surprisingly fun and unpredictable.
Dan
What will Jon Dupre do? He is just a simple operator of an Exotic Escort
service that caters to the rich and powerful. Is it his fault a U. S. Senator
ends up dead after one of his girls was sharing time with the senator? So now Jon
is in jail for his murder.What about the lawyer that was appointed to defend him?
Why did that lawyer try to kill Jon? Many are the twists and turns,and Amanda Jaffe
has to figure it out.
Ricardo
Very pleasantly surprised by this book. I never expected it to be as entertaining as it was.
Donna George
His books are excellent. Getting caught up on ones I missed
Sherry
Love this writer. Sneaky writing, I didn't see the end happening!
Beth Robb
Terrific! A true page turner from beginning to end!
David
Easy to read and an interesting story. It had some twists and turns that I didn't see coming.
Dreama
May 03, 2014 Dreama marked it as to-read
Shelves: phillip-margolin
Own. Haven't read. 05/02/14
John W
A good fast read with some interesting plots and twists.
Xinh
And we're back to Amanda as the main character and the book suffers because of it.
Amanda
I picked this up for a quarter at a garage sale and I want my money back! I couldn't really get into it but I was determined to finish it. It had some twists and turns but nothing jaw dropping but there was one particular part that irritated me so much I almost didn't finish it. Seriously, that was the best idea you had? I doubt I ever read another Margolin book again.
Maurean
well, I finished this one today -- did Dupre, pimp and drug dealer, murder US Senator Travis, or is he being set up for a fall? Amanda Jaffe returns as the defense attorney for the case no one else will touch.

Not my favorite Margolin tale. In fact, prob'ly my least favorite. The ending was too contrived, and I'm used to better from this author.
Ruth Niles
I do believe Phillip Margolin has become my author of choice. Every book I've read so far is constant action,twists and suspense to the end. This is about judges, congressmen and lawyers; but not in the usual context. Margolin has a way of getting the reader angry and distrustful of characters but you're still not sure they are the bad guys.
Jenness
Oct 14, 2008 Jenness rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of John Grisham, Jay Brandon
Shelves: mystery-lawyer
This is my first Phillip Margolin book. I will certainly read others. I didn't realize until I finished this book he had written others with the Amamda Jaffe character. I didn't realize she was the main character. I listened to this and it held my interest all the way through. Twists and turns throughout with an ending I didn't suspect.
KJ
I got this on audio tape to listen to in the car. It seemed to drag on forever (perhaps it's boring due to listening to it rather than reading it???). I got about halfway through and the next audio tape was stuck in the folder. I took that as an act of god/allah/mother nature/fate/whatever that I should go no further into this dry, drab story.
Eric Mann
Nice weekend read. Perfect if you want to read an episode of Law & Order instead of watching one on TV. Margolin has done a nice job evolving Amanda Jaffe as a character but the storyline could use some secondary character development. Amanda's father, DA love interest and investigator Kate never seem to change from book to book.
  • Deviant Ways
  • The Dark House
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)
  • Dust Devils
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • A Place of Strangers
  • Devious: A 9th Circle Prequel Short Story
  • Project Moses (Enzo Lee Mystery, #1)
  • There Was A Little Girl (Matthew Hope, #11)
  • Fallen Idols
  • Rise Up
  • Shake Down (Jack Davis Mystery, #1)
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Assassin
  • Grave Situation

Amanda Jaffe (5 books)
  • Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)
  • The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #4)
  • Fugitive (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
Executive Privilege (Dana Cutler, #1) Gone, But Not Forgotten After Dark Supreme Justice (Dana Cutler, #2) The Associate (Amanda Jaffe, #2)