Start by marking “Heartstone” as Want to Read:
Heartstone

Heartstone

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
They were young, popular, the perfect couple --- an all-American boy and a beautiful cheerleader. But the youthful passion that led them to Lookout Point that terrible evening would prove fatal. For Ritchie Walters the end came swiftly, as death descended upon him in a savage orgy of horrific violence. Elaine Murray would live long enough to learn just how lucky her boyfri ...more
Published January 25th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Heartstone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartstone

Joyce McKune
I'm not one to give up on a book easily or I would have quit after the first 3 chapters or so. It bounced all over the place. I kept telling myself he'd show me the relationship in the end and he finally did.
A high school couple were up at the local lovers lane. The fellow was murdered, head bashed in, and the girl was missing. The homicide detective was more determined to find the killer than the parents. Seven years later he finally makes and arrest.
Kate Allen
Mar 25, 2014 Kate Allen rated it really liked it
I read this book on the recommendation of a friend.
And I am very glad I did. The perfect 'page turner' mystery, the story uses well timed flashbacks to solve the mystery of the disappearance of a high school student and the detective who is on the case years later. Stayed up well past my bedtime reading this one.
Sharon
Nov 18, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
It took me a long time to get into this book. In the beginning so many characters were introduced that it was hard to keep them straight. Also there was no one main character. I like to have someone to get involved with and care about --- that never happened.
Carol
Oct 04, 2014 Carol rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Cold case novel, written in an overly- choppy flashback style with so many characters/events that it nearly required file folders/timeline charts to keep them straight. Certainly no smooth transitions in this plot; a few might have helped avoid lots of confusion. The multiple pages of hypnotism transcripts were fragmented drags, causing me to question the author's knowledge/research on that subject. As a reader investing my time, I'd like to use that time towards an emotional payoff, able to car ...more
Dawn Olson-Thorner
Apr 09, 2013 Dawn Olson-Thorner rated it liked it
My husband recommended this book to me....by page 295 I was wondering just how many more characters could be introduced into this story.....it was long, slow-going and frustrating. The ending made it worth the read.
Njbatz
Feb 08, 2014 Njbatz rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read any of Phillip Margolin's novels, I recommend them. He's a Portland Oregon based author, which adds interest for me, but it's not necessary to know the area to enjoy his work.
Chuck
Jun 01, 2010 Chuck rated it it was ok
This is a cold case murder mystery the victims of which were two young lovers. It is a cold, grim, convoluted story that is not a particularly pleasant read.
Daniel
Dec 23, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it
Two kids are brutally murdered and a cop is determined to see the killers pay. He zeroes in on the most likely suspects and does whatever he thinks he has to do to see the them pay for their crime.

Mr. Margolin always has an unexpected twist at the end of his stories but this one was predictable.

However, it was still an easy book to get into and finish.
Chris
Dec 30, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Definitely a surprise twist at the end, but too much technical description at some points, which made the story slow down occasionally for me. All the characters, though, seemed real and were interesting enough that I wanted to continue reading to see what happens to all of them.
Evelyn
Mar 23, 2011 Evelyn rated it it was ok
When popular high-school couple Richie Walters and Elaine Murray are killed at Lookout Park, the police focus on Bobby and Billy Corbett, but don't ever arrest anyone. Several years later a overzealous police detective becomes romantically involved with a Eleanor Pegliosi, a girl who knew Bobby and Billy in high-school, attempting to influence her memories of that fatal night.

This is a reprint of a 1978 book by Margolin. Although a good mystery, the middle boggs down as Eleanor undergoes many hy
John
Feb 02, 2016 John rated it liked it
Meh. Kind of a who done it, but not very thrilling or exciting (as the cover says). They spend a lot of time on recalling memories via hypnosis - I'm wondering if that was a new technique at the time. The story just kind of plodded along.
Paul Close
Jan 16, 2015 Paul Close rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Margolin's first book, and it shows. The writing is stilted, the characters cardboard cut-outs, and there's no real protagonist, making for a rambling, disjointed story. Worse, it seems Margolin read somewhere to "sex up" his book, so there are awkward "sexy" bits. In particular, it seems every female character must have her breasts described from time to time. Sigh. There was a minor twist at the end, but not worth reading through endless hypnosis sessions and the obsessed/crazy cop. Now I know ...more
Jesus Martinez
Apr 07, 2015 Jesus Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent crime/mystery book to read. Half way through the book I had my own theories about the crime but I was surprised when its revealed in the last few pages. The book doesn't really have a main character. Instead the author has you follow a few main suspects, star witnesses, lawyers and detective. Without a main character, however, it was hard for me to get behind the book. I kept reading to solve the murder.
Charlene C
Oct 19, 2014 Charlene C rated it it was amazing
This one gets 5 stars! I had a hard time stopping the audiobook...It seemed a little slow at times, but it had so many twists that I found myself listening open mouthed at times...
Jeff Dickison
Oct 04, 2014 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Good early Margolin. A cold murder case is re-opened and told from the perspective of several people. Well plotted, this even has a nice twist at the end. Recommended.
Xinh
Jul 25, 2014 Xinh rated it it was ok
The blurb describing the plot of the book is more exciting than the actual book itself.
Andrew Carter
Feb 02, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it it was amazing
Margolin is great. This is one of his first books and is a re-read for me. It was even better this time. Great story....you think you see the ending coming....and, oops! A well done book, recommended for any mystery reader.
Alison
Dec 24, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
I just started reading Philip Margolin and really enjoy his books. Rather than reiterating what has already been posted about the story line, I want to say I like the way the author slowly introduces the characters one at a time when the timing is right. Once a character is introduced, he fully develops the personality and character traits. You either love them or hate them. He has a way of sneaking in tid bits of information that come and go and the reader may forget about them, but those same ...more
Kathleen
Sep 25, 2014 Kathleen rated it did not like it
trying new authors-won't read more by this author
jill
May 17, 2010 jill rated it it was ok
I found this on an airplane on my last trip. The cover blurb didn't sound very interesting, but it said it was nominated for an Edgar award, so I decided to give it a try.

I was right the first time.

I actually kind of liked the DA character that was introduced first, but he turned out to play almost no role in the actual story. Instead, there were lots of transcripts of boring hypnosis sessions and an overzealous yet remarkably boring cop.

The conclusion was sort of surprising, but by that point
David Seller
Nov 16, 2013 David Seller rated it really liked it
The savage killing of a beautiful couple stuns and baffles everyone and for Roy Schindler in particular, the lack of leads is extremely frustrating. When his only angle appears to be a girl with repressed memories, he turns to a hypnotist to help him with his star witness.
The plot twists and turns as Margolin toys with the emotions and leaves the reader with no hope of predicting what will happen next.
The ending was slightly anti-climatic but it was a very good read, well paced, suspenseful an
Caroline
Aug 02, 2011 Caroline rated it it was ok
Shelves: legal-thriller
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I listened to this one on audio and the narrator really had the ability to put me sound asleep every time I turned on my IPod. A friend read this one a liked it so maybe my rating is based on the audio presentation. The other thing that bugged me about this one, was that there were no characters you could really get into, with most being low-life scumbags. So if I were you, I would not beat a path to buy this one. At least I downloaded it for free from the library!
Marilyn
Dec 07, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ugly Murder in the Reggie and Veronica type leaves many heartsick and very upset, as would any murder, but this one even more especially. The Coolidge boys are primary suspects, but not all rings true. Al Caproni struggles with his part in the death of Bobbie Coolidge, and is stunned when Willie Heartstone comes forward to clean his soul upon his deathbed. A reaffirmation that Caproni's gut feelings had always been right.
Stephanie Tuell
this wasn't as good as 'gone but not forgoten'. there are a set of murders in 1961. roy makes it is his mission to find out who did them. as the years go by, the case grows cold, until roy is called to another crime where he meets up with a witness from the murders. roy does whatever it takes to get her to say what he wants to hear. she will say anything to keep him near.
Shacoria
What's interesting about this novel is the constant change of perspective. In this novel that serves the purpose of making sure that the reader never really gets more attached to one character over another. That has pretty much 2 effects, which are that you don't really hate any of the characters too much but you also don't really love any of the characters either.
Jenn
Aug 14, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this first novel by Philip Margolin. I didn't have high expectations as it was his first and thought it may have been a bit unpolished, however I found it was not lacking in anything. His other novels had a few more twists to them but that didn't distract from this novel. I discovered that it was a wee bit predictable but I didn't seem to mind.
Thomas Roth
Jan 25, 2014 Thomas Roth rated it liked it
Slow start, gets better through the book and closes fairly strong.
John Orman
Jan 24, 2013 John Orman rated it liked it
Nominated for the Edgar Award, this was Margolin's first book. This mystery opens with the brutal slayings of two youngsters, and descends into a long, winding, nightmare of a tale, loosely based on a high-profile murder case in Portland, OR. Along the wild ride, it takes a look at the legal system and how witnesses sometimes "remember" imaginary events.
lia
Mar 06, 2012 lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
My first book by Phillip Margolin and the book that made me read his other books.

In a way it is a standard thriller with few twist along the way, and with many characters throughout the book.

The book is based on murder of two young high school sweethearts. The case went unsolved for years and in the end the killer walk away (but not free)
Maurean
Apr 15, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oooohhh...this was a GOOD book!! Lots of twists and turns in the plot - right up to the last page! I really enjoy Margolin's writing; will look for "After Dark" & "The Last Innocent Man" to add to my TBR list.
  • Undertow (David Cavanaugh, #1)
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Nathan's Run
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Capitol Conspiracy (Ben Kincaid, #16)
  • Dreams Of Speaking
  • Vilkaču mantiniece
  • La Plaza del Diamante & La Calle de las Camelias
  • Pasakas par ziediem
  • Starp mums, meitenēm, runājot... un citi stāsti
  • Flashback
  • Life According To Lubka
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6-7)
  • Some Day