Start by marking “Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops” as Want to Read:
Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops

Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops

Offering inspiration for all gardeners, this book features beautiful color photographs and illustrations throughout, and is divided into two parts. Part One looks at why and how to grow particular crops and how to look after them for maximum health. Part Two features more than 100 perennial edibles in detail, both common and unusual, from rhubarb to skirret and Jerusalem a ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by UIT Cambridge Ltd. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creating a Forest Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating a Forest Garden

Ashleigh Baumgardner
Jan 08, 2017 Ashleigh Baumgardner rated it really liked it
What a resource! Hopefully someday I'll actually have the space to revisit this book and put some of the advice to use. I still really enjoyed reading about the design elements of intentional forestry for food production and all of the notes on plants familiar and obscure. There are many new things I'll be on the lookout for at the farmers markets.
Adam
I got this through ILL, hoping to get some idea of what forest gardening actually was, how it compared to the vague idea I got of the "permaculture" concept from perusing Dave Holmgren's Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability, and what the state of the art was at the moment. I was also thinking of using it to inform a feasibility study assignment for a class I didn't end up taking, regarding a potential garden at Lawrence's Bjorklunden 'campus.' I don't have time to actually ...more
North Devon
Aug 06, 2013 North Devon rated it it was amazing
We are planning a forest garden, and had already read and enjoyed Patrick Whitefield's How To Make A Forest Garden.

We then went to visit Martin Crawford's site and were blown away by seeing the reality of a Forest Garden in full production. We bought a copy of Martin's book from him after the tour, and barely a week has gone by in the year or so since purchase, that we haven't referred to it - it is truly a bible of Forest Gardening, an immense reference book to be picked up again and again.

We h
Malte
Jan 15, 2015 Malte rated it it was amazing
This is currently the best, most hands-on manual for creating a forest garden. Other books are either too theoretical for people just starting out, have been superseeded or just lack all the beautiful and informative colour pictures that this one sports. Martin Crawford possibly maintains the most interesting, mature forest garden in the temperate climate zone, having been working on it for over 20 years, so his many experiences and experiments are all summarized here. His style is pretty relaxe ...more
Ladyemero
Aug 26, 2011 Ladyemero rated it really liked it
What I love about this book is it's accessibility and warmth. I'm new to permaculture and forest gardening and got this book as a birthday present from my dad.
I just love all the descriptions of the plants, trees and shrubs.I also learning about how to plant various shrubs and fruit trees, Working on design using permaculture principles, learning about grafting, perennial ground cover, use of windbreaks(helpful as it's a tad windy where I live)
I like to dip into this book, a lot and use it as a
Anna
Sep 08, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
If you're just starting out, Creating a Forest Garden is the best book to plan your forest garden with. It simplifies the ideas behind forest gardening and is based on the author's 15+ years of hands-on experiences in his own forest garden.

I docked a star because so much of the book is species lists, which are problematic for beginners. First, they get folks too excited! Second, each species' use is very location-specific, so the information in the book might not be accurate.

Since we've been exp
Meredith
A comprehensive encyclopedia on designing and growing a forest garden...A garden that resembles a woodland and is peopled with edible plants (for the most part not vegetables) shrubs, and trees, as well as plants that provide soap, ink, basket weaving materials, dye, etc.

Has, as far as I can see, every thing you'd need to know to set up this sort of garden, including discussions of planning for wind, sun, shade, space, nitrogen and potassium levels required or output by different plants, etc.

As
Janie
I favor this over his other.

Crawford has a lot of experience. He actually plants and eats this stuff. He has so much land, however, that his methods fail the small-area farmer. He poo-poos folk who are frustrated by comfrey takeover -- but when you have acres at your disposal you're playing a different game. My land is a postage stamp.

Worth reading (especially for ideas of what's particularly tasty) but not great for little-forest growers.
Peter
Oct 03, 2011 Peter rated it really liked it

This is cutting edge.
The ideas contained herein, which will become increasingly popular in coming years are basically the theory for organic, productive ecological garden design and management.
They are not new but are the brainchild of Robert Hart, who gardened this way from the 1970's onward in Shropshire, the English Midlands, with the additional work of Ken Fern amongst others.
There aren't many books currently available on this subject, which raises this to the status of core text
Electric-guitar
Nov 28, 2014 Electric-guitar rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely
Recommended to Electric-guitar by: Myself
Shelves: garden
Purchased this book after I borrowed a library copy. I really loved the books layout style. Clear to understand. Lots of useful information. Great resource of how one would go about creating your very won forest garden.

I certainly hope to get a nice plot of land some time in the future. This book will be the accompanying the process.
Sara
Feb 03, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From an English gardener, so the extensive reference section on plants is not much help. I LOVE this idea and want to know MORE, MORE, MORE about it! We should plant native plants that are happy and tough and create a garden that essentially takes care of itself. I'd like to see a tidier version though.
Sara
Oct 18, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
While we unfortunately don't have the space for a forest garden, this was very informative and very interesting, with a ton of awesome pictures. Found a few new plants to try out anyways, and it's always nice to dream a bit...
Marijan
Mar 15, 2013 Marijan rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have read on the subject so far. Comprehensive, concrete and down-to-earth. Everything you need to know in order to create your own food forest. At least in UK, although it's fairly applicable to other parts of Europe.
Elizabeth
Apr 02, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Crawford is in the temperate climate of the UK so some of plant species choices wouldn't work for me here in MN. But still, this is a very readable and thorough look at establishing and maintaining a forest garden.
Saiisha
Jun 20, 2014 Saiisha rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I'm in the middle of making my own "Forest Garden", and Martin is a perfect guide - knowledgeable, authentic, interesting. And the pictures are very helpful.
Diane
A very good introduction to forest gardening; however, it is a UK-based book, so the plant recommendations that take up a lot of the book do not work for me in SD. Lots of good information, though.
Mary
Apr 26, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Always exciting to find a gardening book relevant to your climate. Lots of pictures and plant descriptions and tables for useful plants.
DARLENE PRICE
DARLENE PRICE rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Gladys Bacon
Gladys Bacon rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Marc Hemmes
Marc Hemmes rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2015
Niamh Dempsey
Niamh Dempsey rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Amanda Mesenburg
Amanda Mesenburg rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Balthazar
Balthazar rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Colin Brennan
Colin Brennan rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
NH
NH rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013
Ragland
Ragland rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
TOX EFK
TOX EFK rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Simon Van Branden
Simon Van Branden rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain Into Your Life and Landscape
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers