Start by marking “Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops” as Want to Read:
Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops

Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Offering inspiration for all gardeners, this book features beautiful color photographs and illustrations throughout, and is divided into two parts. Part One looks at why and how to grow particular crops and how to look after them for maximum health. Part Two features more than 100 perennial edibles in detail, both common and unusual, from rhubarb to skirret and Jerusalem a ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by UIT Cambridge Ltd. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creating a Forest Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating a Forest Garden

Janie
I favor this over his other.

Crawford has a lot of experience. He actually plants and eats this stuff. He has so much land, however, that his methods fail the small-area farmer. He poo-poos folk who are frustrated by comfrey takeover -- but when you have acres at your disposal you're playing a different game. My land is a postage stamp.

Worth reading (especially for ideas of what's particularly tasty) but not great for little-forest growers.
Malte
This is currently the best, most hands-on manual for creating a forest garden. Other books are either too theoretical for people just starting out, have been superseeded or just lack all the beautiful and informative colour pictures that this one sports. Martin Crawford possibly maintains the most interesting, mature forest garden in the temperate climate zone, having been working on it for over 20 years, so his many experiences and experiments are all summarized here. His style is pretty relaxe ...more
Adam
I got this through ILL, hoping to get some idea of what forest gardening actually was, how it compared to the vague idea I got of the "permaculture" concept from perusing Dave Holmgren's Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability, and what the state of the art was at the moment. I was also thinking of using it to inform a feasibility study assignment for a class I didn't end up taking, regarding a potential garden at Lawrence's Bjorklunden 'campus.' I don't have time to actually ...more
North Devon
We are planning a forest garden, and had already read and enjoyed Patrick Whitefield's How To Make A Forest Garden.

We then went to visit Martin Crawford's site and were blown away by seeing the reality of a Forest Garden in full production. We bought a copy of Martin's book from him after the tour, and barely a week has gone by in the year or so since purchase, that we haven't referred to it - it is truly a bible of Forest Gardening, an immense reference book to be picked up again and again.

We h
Ladyemero
What I love about this book is it's accessibility and warmth. I'm new to permaculture and forest gardening and got this book as a birthday present from my dad.
I just love all the descriptions of the plants, trees and shrubs.I also learning about how to plant various shrubs and fruit trees, Working on design using permaculture principles, learning about grafting, perennial ground cover, use of windbreaks(helpful as it's a tad windy where I live)
I like to dip into this book, a lot and use it as a
Electric-guitar
Nov 28, 2014 Electric-guitar rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Absolutely
Recommended to Electric-guitar by: Myself
Shelves: garden
Purchased this book after I borrowed a library copy. I really loved the books layout style. Clear to understand. Lots of useful information. Great resource of how one would go about creating your very won forest garden.

I certainly hope to get a nice plot of land some time in the future. This book will be the accompanying the process.
Anna
If you're just starting out, Creating a Forest Garden is the best book to plan your forest garden with. It simplifies the ideas behind forest gardening and is based on the author's 15+ years of hands-on experiences in his own forest garden.

I docked a star because so much of the book is species lists, which are problematic for beginners. First, they get folks too excited! Second, each species' use is very location-specific, so the information in the book might not be accurate.

Since we've been exp
Sara
While we unfortunately don't have the space for a forest garden, this was very informative and very interesting, with a ton of awesome pictures. Found a few new plants to try out anyways, and it's always nice to dream a bit...
Meredith
A comprehensive encyclopedia on designing and growing a forest garden...A garden that resembles a woodland and is peopled with edible plants (for the most part not vegetables) shrubs, and trees, as well as plants that provide soap, ink, basket weaving materials, dye, etc.

Has, as far as I can see, every thing you'd need to know to set up this sort of garden, including discussions of planning for wind, sun, shade, space, nitrogen and potassium levels required or output by different plants, etc.

As
Elizabeth
Crawford is in the temperate climate of the UK so some of plant species choices wouldn't work for me here in MN. But still, this is a very readable and thorough look at establishing and maintaining a forest garden.
Saiisha
Loved this book! I'm in the middle of making my own "Forest Garden", and Martin is a perfect guide - knowledgeable, authentic, interesting. And the pictures are very helpful.
Anastasia
The best "to the point" and step by step books about creating your own foodforest in colder climate
Peter

This is cutting edge.
The ideas contained herein, which will become increasingly popular in coming years are basically the theory for organic, productive ecological garden design and management.
They are not new but are the brainchild of Robert Hart, who gardened this way from the 1970's onward in Shropshire, the English Midlands, with the additional work of Ken Fern amongst others.
There aren't many books currently available on this subject, which raises this to the status of core text
Sara
From an English gardener, so the extensive reference section on plants is not much help. I LOVE this idea and want to know MORE, MORE, MORE about it! We should plant native plants that are happy and tough and create a garden that essentially takes care of itself. I'd like to see a tidier version though.
Marijan
This is the best book I have read on the subject so far. Comprehensive, concrete and down-to-earth. Everything you need to know in order to create your own food forest. At least in UK, although it's fairly applicable to other parts of Europe.
Diane
A very good introduction to forest gardening; however, it is a UK-based book, so the plant recommendations that take up a lot of the book do not work for me in SD. Lots of good information, though.
Mary
Always exciting to find a gardening book relevant to your climate. Lots of pictures and plant descriptions and tables for useful plants.
Kim
Fabulous book but unfortunately for written for the UK. Very informative and easy to understand.
Zeb Ferguson
Amazing book, has the potential to revolutionize the way we do, as well as perceive, agriculture!
Ashley
Not entirely what I was expecting, but helpful none the less!
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Cecy
Cecy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Pearl Wright
Pearl Wright marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Anca
Anca marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Jocelyn
Jocelyn is currently reading it
April Chase
April Chase marked it as to-read
Wayne Boos
Wayne Boos marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1): Guiding Principles to Welcome Rain into Your Life And Landscape
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
How to Grow Perennial Vegetables: Low-maintenance, Low-impact Vegetable Gardening Ashe County's Civil War: Community And Society In The Appalachian South How to Grow Perennial Vegetables Food from Your Forest Garden: How to Harvest, Cook and Preserve Your Forest Garden Produce Active Directory 58 Success Secrets - 58 Most Asked Questions on Active Directory - What You Need to Know