Start by marking “Little Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On: Twenty Lessons for Managing Worry, Anxiety, and Fear” as Want to Read:

First featured on a British poster produced during World War II, 'Keep calm and carry on' has become the mantra of millions—but exactly how to keep calm remains a difficult question for most of us.

The next time you are stressed by pressures at work, overwhelmed by life's challenges, or panicked by problems that seem unsolvable, reach for this book. In Little Ways to Keep

Published September 1st 2010 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Little Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Ways to Keep Calm and Carry On

Mar 03, 2012 K. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: living, reference
This little book is a scientific and rational approach to anxiety, yet it also includes sections that acknowledge mankind's irrational tendencies. A very helpful manual for the overly anxious (myself included).
Jeremy Garber
Feb 12, 2014 Jeremy Garber rated it it was amazing
Mark Reinecke provides a calm and eminently useful set of simple exercises that actually work to reduce generalized anxiety that can paralyze your day. Taking his title from the now-ubiquitous British motivational poster from 1939, Reinecke offers 20 sets of practical solutions to concretely manage your anxiety. He examines the roots of anxiety, both its positive roots in protecting us from danger and our tendency to “awfulize” the possible outcomes and underestimate our ability to cope. He then ...more
Nicole Jacob
Mar 14, 2015 Nicole Jacob rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This was a super quick read - like 150 pages total.
I grabbed it at the bookstore for a few reasons - first, the title was appealing and it looked like it had some really good tips/tricks in it. While reading this though, I realized this information isn't "new." This is just a bunch of stuff I already knew wrapped up in a different package.
It was a good read, a good way to look at the ideals without really beating a dead horse.
Feb 22, 2011 Jillian rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim at the library since it was on the "new" shelf, and I've been bombarded by Keep Calm and Carry On posters lately. I was delighted to find practical advice here that I haven't in other self-help books. Some of it really seems useful. A quick, worthwhile read.
Mar 10, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all my friends
I picked this up at Barnes & Noble today while I was looking at Nooks...:)

Lots of good info and exercises you can do at the end of each chapter. I'll write more about this book later...
Feb 28, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
A concise and helpful read for anyone with anxiety. Good tips!
Rob Trainor
Oct 12, 2015 Rob Trainor rated it it was ok
This book seems geared toward those who are worry - warts and not someone with a diagnosed anxiety problem. It does have some good tips to control anxiety for the first group, but is a little trite and simplistic towards those with a diagnosed psychological illness.

Of course, a book can't solve an illness, I realize, but I expected some insight that would help. Unfortunately, it is way too boiled down for someone like me. This is not a knock at the author, who based on his credentials seems lik
May 16, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it
There were some interesting points made in this book. Do I tend to "awfulize" - imagine the worst-case scenario - problems? Yes, and I saw myself in other descriptions, too, such as trying to avoid problems. I liked the chapters titled "Perfect solutions don't exist" and "Sometimes you can take control of bad situations, but sometimes not." I also liked the quotes at the beginning of each chapter.

But I was hoping for more of a personal touch. Although there are a few personal anecdotes, this is
McKenzie Richardson
Jun 25, 2016 McKenzie Richardson rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
A cute little book filled with pretty common sense advice. It's an easy read, but not really all that profound or ground-breaking.
The basic advice in the book is "don't worry; it's not that bad". I see how this may be beneficial for some people with normal day-to-day anxiety, but definitely isn't helpful for someone with any anxiety disorders or people who have to deal with constant high-stress situations such as discrimination.
The target audience seems to be very limited: middle class people t
Matthew Schetselaar
Sep 07, 2016 Matthew Schetselaar rated it it was amazing
Very easy read and was insightful. I enjoyed doing the small exercises they recommend after each chapter.
Feb 10, 2016 Anita rated it it was amazing
This book is a good example of why I love the Library. I have a problem that is making life way harder than it should be. I want to solve the problem and bingo!!!!! Just sitting there on the shelf waiting for me...for FREE. While there is no definitive way to 'not have anxiety' this lil treasure is bursting with really practical ideas to tackle it. I love this book and will be doing a ton of rereading and taking notes before I return it to the Library. It's going to help
Jun 24, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
A simple little book but it's full of good advice and no-nonsense directions & questions on how to deal with anxiety and worrying. It wasn't overly sentimental and though I do often like reading personal insights, I was glad that the author didn't do that in this book. It's a good book for someone who is looking for straight forward advice and it's good whether you want a quick read or if you want to take your time and work through each question section.
Barbara Lovejoy
Nov 21, 2013 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had some money left on a 2012 Christmas gift card for Barnes & Noble so I went browsing while at B&N for a meeting Because of all that is happening in my life right now the title of this book caught my attention. It is excellent and just what I needed. A special thanks to Flavia McKnight, one of our future Esperanza teachers, who bought it for me when she saw I couldn't decide between this book and another. :)
Sep 05, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
short little guide to reducing anxiety and increasing calm, written in a really, really simple way. I pulled it off the shelf because I liked how it looked; it reminds me of Feeling Good but in a condensed, simplified form.
Feb 01, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it
This has been a helpful little book full of good advice for those of us who need it. 20 little lessons for managing worry, anxiety, and fear. This book is for anyone wanting to change their life. "Change your thoughts, and you can change your behavior. Change your behavior, and you can change your life." I'm keeping this for the future.
Kristie J.
Sep 04, 2016 Kristie J. rated it it was ok
I was drawn to this book because I love the "Keep Calm and Carry On" slogan and it's a small, cute book. The chapters are short and quick to read, however I found the material to be quite dry. Would have been better to make the book a little longer and include examples or case studies of people dealing with their anxiety using the concepts in the book.
Sep 06, 2014 D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good solid advice on dealing with worry, anxiety and fear ~ but nothing new or earth shattering. One of the best things about the book is that it is small and it is broken up into short, readable chapters which makes this little book one that anxious worriers like me can refer to again and again.
Jun 07, 2016 TJ rated it liked it
I bought this book thinking it would be helpful tips to staying calm during normal life activities. Unfortunately it was tips on anxiety for people who can't deal with normal daily stress. Would be helpful for people who have anxiety issues.
Aga Artka
Nov 24, 2013 Aga Artka rated it really liked it
Cute little book. I picked it up as it seemed relevant with all the anxiety caused by work in the last few months. I think I realized that "failure is not an option" and striving for perfection every time is slowly killing, time for a change.
Dec 10, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good information and activities for those suffering from General anxiety. I found this book to have little information that was relevant in regards to panic attacks.
May 06, 2014 Kara rated it really liked it
Quick read with some great short little tips to help with anxiety. I think there are some things you can use but some things you think to yourself "easier said than done"
Lindsay Hickey
Sep 05, 2016 Lindsay Hickey rated it it was amazing
Very easy read- helpful tips- love the layout
Barb Balko
Barb Balko rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Kristin rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Leah rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Kristina Sweigard
Kristina Sweigard rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
David Martiroso
David Martiroso rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2013
Kaiti Guthrie
Kaiti Guthrie rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Jimmy Pagan
Jimmy Pagan rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Janet rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-compulsive Disorder
  • Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy
  • Fast Minds: How to Thrive If You Have ADHD (Or Think You Might)
  • The Orphaned Adult: Understanding And Coping With Grief And Change After The Death Of Our Parents
  • Perfect Daughters: Adult Daughters of Alcoholics
  • The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing: The Experience and Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Keep Calm and Carry On
  • Living with Depression
  • A Brief History of Anxiety...Yours and Mine
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
  • Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers
  • Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10 Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can Revolutionize Your Health, Memory, Organization, Alertness, and More
  • 30 Things to Do When You Turn Thirty: Thirty Achievers on Turning Thirty
  • The Power of an Hour: Business and Life Mastery in One Hour a Week
  • The Shutter of Snow

“Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear— not absence of fear. —Mark Twain” 1 likes
“Seeking perfect solutions can magnify our anxiety as the future unfolds.” 0 likes