Start by marking “The Wideacre Trilogy: Wideacre + The Favoured Child + Meridon” as Want to Read:
The Wideacre Trilogy: Wideacre + The Favoured Child + Meridon

The Wideacre Trilogy: Wideacre + The Favoured Child + Meridon (Wideacre #1-2-3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  778 ratings  ·  43 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL

Philippa Gregory

The Wideacre Trilogy

Beatrice Lacey, strong-minded and beautiful, refuses to conform to the social customs of her time. Destined to lose her family name and beloved Wideacre estate once she is married, Beatrice will use any means:--seduction, betrayal, even murder--to protect her

Published November 14th 2006 by Touchstone Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Wideacre Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wideacre Trilogy

Blackberry Winter by Sarah JioThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkGreen Darkness by Anya SetonKatherine by Anya SetonThe Wideacre Trilogy by Philippa Gregory
Gaile: My WishList
5th out of 22 books — 1 voter
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniEragon by Christopher PaoliniEldest by Christopher PaoliniHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
My Favourite Books
95th out of 190 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

My best friend gave me the set of these books for Christmas (and she's a preacher's wife!), knowing that I love Philippa Gregory.
These are not typical Philippa Gregory books.
The first book, Wildacre, is about Beatrice Lacey and her love for her home Wildacre and its land. She will do anything, and I mean anything, for it. She is rotten bad.
The second book, The Favored Child, is about her daughter Julia, who is afraid that she is like and/or becoming Beatrice, but she is missing the sadistic
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers not faint of heart
I had seen Philippa Gregory's novels everywhere once The Other Boelyn Girl became popular. I've always loved historical fiction, so her books looked interesting.

I also, however, like to read novels by a particular author in the order the were written. So I decided to start my Philippa Gregory experience with her first published novels - the Wideacre trilogy.

These novels are not for the faint of heart. There is some serious deciet, intrigue, debauchery here. Generally, whatever "moral" is - the c
Dayna Brown
This is one of my favorite trilogies of all time! It is written TOTALLY different than expected! The plot at first seems to be predictable but is anything but! There are so many unexpected moves in the plot that you never know what is coming. I had so much fun reading these because the story follows a path that can be very disturbing at times. With that being said, DO NOT READ many reviews because the plot crosses some lines for some people and they totally give the story away trying to warn you ...more
Annette Young
I read the first book of the trilogy - Wideacre many years ago when it reached best-seller status. I was gripped from the very first page and became a huge fan of Phillipa Gregory's thereafter.

The opening page had me hooked. It became apparent that Wideacre was everything, it was the bond that united the family and the pinnacle of desire for a young Beatrice who loved the house and the land like no other, and yet, for her sins of being born a girl, would not be able to claim it as her own. As a
Jessica Jenkins
I was completely transfixed throughout the reading of this series. It is quite sprawling and winding and torrid. It isn't Phillipa's usual novels, but I enjoyed the departure. I'm aware many people didn't like it, found it to be a little too scandalous perhaps, but I enjoyed it.
Liz Ohlhausen
I don't normally read historical novels but thought I'd give this a try. It's the middle one of the trilogy but that didn't affect the plot, in fact, it probably helped that I didn't already know a big reveal towards the end. The book started well with an interesting and engaging heroine but after a while she became a different person, boring, spineless and totally unconvincing. I was constantly silently shouting at her, "For God's sake! Stand up for yourself!" and wishing I could find out how m ...more
gone with the wind meets flowers in the attic
I bought this trilogy when it was on sale at Borders because Philippa Gregory is so popular and I wanted to try some of her books. What a mistake!!! I did manage to finish the first volume but only skimmed through the other two. Full of nasty, mean, or insipid characters and too ridiculous a plot. Half Price Books only offered me $2 for the set when I tried to sell it, so no one else seems to want it, either! I want my time and money back!!! I don't often hate books, so this is unusual.

I should
Ashleigh Foreman
amazing. a book full of childish dreams, admiration, betrayal, love, hate, incest, and romanticised ideas of control. such passion and you are kept completely onside with the character Beatrice Lacey and cannot help but empathise with here, even while you're pulling your hair out as she acts so wrongly. Great story, beautifully written, a true piece or artistic literature. read it!
Miranda Moore
I loved reading this series! I found beatrice,Julia and Sarah(Meridon) to all be different but so much the same when it came to the land. I really enjoyed reading these books and it was hard to put them down!
Jade Ross
Apr 20, 2014 Jade Ross rated it 1 of 5 stars
Found these books very hard to stay focused on, to drawn out, not enough going on. I was bored reading them and I'm usually a huge Phillipa Gregory fan.
Cheryl Quick
I just read Wideacre. Sociopaths are not my thing. But it was a good book about living in England during to 17th(?) century.
Amy Morelli
Read this trilogy a few times! Always draws me in and is a page turner even when I know what's ahead
It was a really great series, even though there's always a psychopath in each book.
Diane Bell
Another great historical fiction series from this author.
Loved all books in this trilogy!
Great read! Includes historical accuracy in RE the place of women in society, the denial of their rights as human being&, and even the power over their own bodies that was the norm for hundreds of years, and fundamentally affects women's views of themselves and thsir life potentials, even up to the preset day in most of the world. Also embraces their prescient abilities & the pressure & necessity to hide them due to fear of persecution.
A nice surprise from Philippa Gregory. As usual, her research is impeccable and her characters are excellently portrayed. This is the first series of her's that I have read and I have to admit that I was sceptical but I ended up enjoying the series. I was a little dissappointed in the third novel as it was slow in places but to say more would be to ruin the story for others. All in all, another Philippa Gregory success!
Florence Primrose
A quick trio of books set in Tudor England of three generations of women who came from well-to-do families who cared for the land but had no rights to inherit since only males can inherit.

There are similarities to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind because the first woman will do ANYTHING to forward her goals.

This is not high class literature, but a fun relaxing read.
Honestly, an odd concept for a trilogy. I loved to hate the first heroine, hated the second, and loved the third. The first book has such a strong female lead. She does what she wants, when she wants, and doesn't let anyone get in her way. The second is more feeble and can't seem to speak for herself. The third starts out shy, but in the end she finds who she really is.
Anne Jones
Loved these books. Same author as The Other Boleyn Girl. It takes place in the old days when women couldn't own land. The son is sent off to school and the daughter learns to work the land with her dad and falls in love with it. Her brother could care less about the land but he still inherits it. She does whatever she can, literally, to stay master of the land.
I read these books out of order beginning with meridon. I loved the final book found the story gripping and couldn't put it down. I wasn't as keen on the first books finding them quite dry and at points very difficult to read through as the story is quite dark at times. However, meridon remains one of my favourite books by Phillippa Gregory
I read this trilogy out of order, starting with the end, which I never do, but it turns out I should have started and ended with Meridon because Wideacre and The Favoured Child were both pretty terrible. Not anywhere near as good and Philippa Gregory's other books!
I picked up the book after my teenage sister recommended it. Phillipa Gregory is a great writer. I gave it a 3 star because i found it a little dry of a read at times...a little to much detail on some parts lost my interest to keep going at the moment. All in all a great trilogy in my book collection!
Basically what a powerful, unstoppable woman can achieve when frustrated by the limitations of men, but totally in the wrong sense, and how the actions of one woman take effect over two generations. Wonderful which you grow through.
a delicious escape and gives you a feeling of being right there in the moment...getting to know the families and it's soap opera like qualities! I will definately "re-read" coming this fall! :)

Terrific author too :)
The first two are unnecessarily dark and violent, but the third one is suspenseful and hard to put down. Gregoy includes interesting storylines, like learning how to be a trapeze artist and learning how to cheat at cards.
Artful Existence
This was the first series I read by Philippa Gregory and I became an instant fan. She writes wonderfully in this series, bringing the scenes to life. This is one of my favorite series and I absolutely recommend it.
Danielle Reily
Interesting reads, but very distubing undertones and hard to get through.
  • Rose of Raby: The First and Second Books in a Saga about the Yorks, Lancasters and Nevilles, Whose Family Feud Started the Cousin's War, Now Known as the Wars of the Roses, Told by Cecily Cecylee Neville (1415-1495), the Thwarted Queen
  • The Winthrop Woman
  • A Royal Likeness
  • The New Revised Standard Version Bible with Apocrypha : Text Edition
  • The Queen's Captive (Thornleigh, #3)
  • Mary, Queen of France (Tudor Saga, #9)
  • The Irish Princess
  • The King's Daughter
  • The Casebooks of Hamish Macbeth
  • Abdication
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • Mesilla
  • Song of Survival: Women Interned
  • Anne of Cleves: Henry's Luckiest Wife
  • Death in Springtime
  • Here Be Dragons
  • High Tide at Noon (Tide Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sister Queens
Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acc ...more
More about Philippa Gregory...

Wideacre (3 books)
  • Wideacre  (The Wideacre Trilogy, #1)
  • The Favored Child (The Wideacre Trilogy, #2)
  • Meridon (The Wideacre Trilogy, #3)