Start by marking “History of Italian Renaissance Art” as Want to Read:
History of Italian Renaissance Art

History of Italian Renaissance Art

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  618 ratings  ·  17 reviews

For survey courses in Italian Renaissance art.

A broad survey of art and architecture in Italy between c. 1250 and 1600, this book approaches the works from the point of view of the artist as individual creator and as an expression of the city within which the artist was working.

History of Italian Renaissance Art, Seventh Edition, brings you an updated understandi

Paperback, Seventh Edition, 736 pages
Published January 13th 2010 by Pearson (first published January 1st 1969)

Ellis
May 05, 2009 Ellis rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in Italian Renaissance
Shelves: readforschool
Read for my class: Leonardo, Raphael, and their Contemporaries

A very good survey. It's difficult to find a good survey, but my professor is literally 90+ years old, so he's had time to look around. This one is very good because it includes more than just the recognized masters, but also their teachers and their influences and predecessors. Additionally, Hartt spends a great deal of time explaining the processes of creating the various types of painting (tempera, oil, on different media) or fresc
Evan
Apparently a real classic of the genre. Hefty and full of pix. I rescued this from the trash of a certain book purveyor. Along with a book covering the two world wars, this is the biggest tome I've ever pulled out of the oblivion hole. Hope to review this soon...
Adrian Colesberry
How I taught myself about art.
Victoria
It is a book for those who study or seriously interested in art and it isn't cheap. It covers Italian Art from the late Middle Ages to the Late 16th century in various region of Italy.Very detailed with fabulous illustrations.
Trisha Logsden
Read it as part of a survey class.....kept it and have read again over the years and each time, I learn something new. Opened my eyes to a whole new world and a continuing educational path
Great book on Italian Renaissance art, and good for supplement material in any art history class.
Beth Mayfield-House
Saw an article in the New York Times about Italian Renaissance Art. I thought, Man, I used to know all this in college. Turns out I was inspired to read through my Italian Renaissance Book. Man this book is full of good stuff. My only complaint is that it's huge and difficult to carry. I wish something like this came in a Kindle or Nook. Then again, the wonderful color plates wouldn't be available. The photos are great. The art history is even better.
Theresa Leone Davidson
A dense, informative book that would appear to include everything you could want to know about the topic. The pictures are gorgeous, and the stories behind them fun to read. The book is not just about the masters, either, like da Vinci and Michelangelo, but about lesser known geniuses, like Paolo Uccello, Piero della Francesca and Antonello da Messina. Terrific compilation that I would highly recommend.
Jennell McHugh
Visual feast with complementary knowledge. Viva il Cinquecento.
Merry
Another great Art History lecture with Dr. Diane Goode!
Greg Tatum
Typical school survey book. Still full of good stuff.
Artlab
The ArtLab has multiple copies of this book
Stephanie
Very useful book. For Art 381.
Meredith
A beautiful (albeit heavy) book.
Madcarlotta
I have the Third Edition
Brenda Benton
I Frederick Hartt ...more
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Arnetha Bennett
Arnetha Bennett marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Omkar Nath
Omkar Nath is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Debjeet Das
Debjeet Das marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Yovina Kristiani
Yovina Kristiani marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Arturo Haro
Arturo Haro marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Haido Ahmed
Haido Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Alyssa The BOOK HOG
Alyssa The BOOK HOG marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
  • Art in Renaissance Italy
  • The Art of Italian Renaissance
  • The Italian Renaissance
  • Painting and Experience in Fifteenth-Century Italy: A Primer in the Social History of Pictorial Style
  • On Painting
  • The Autobiography Of Benvenuto Cellini
  • The Renaissance: Studies in Art and Poetry
  • Dalí, 1904-1989
  • Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages
  • The Artist, the Philosopher, and the Warrior: The Intersecting Lives of Da Vinci, Machiavelli, and Borgia and the World They Shaped
  • Michelangelo: A Life in Six Masterpieces
  • Titian: His Life
  • Lives of the Artists: Volume 1
Art: A History of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, Volume 2 Art : A History of Painting, Sculpture, Architectures Art: A History of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, Vol.1 Michelangelo (Masters of Art) Michelangelo: The Complete Sculpture