Start by marking “Resurrection Dreams” as Want to Read:
Resurrection Dreams

Resurrection Dreams

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,337 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
A man discovers he has the ability to bring people back from the dead, and he's determined to work his magic on the girl of his dreams--but first he'll have to kill her.
Published March 1st 2005 by Leisure Books (first published September 15th 1988)

Michael Fierce
Jul 16, 2014 Michael Fierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any and ALL Zombie fans

description

Resurrection Dreams is the funniest most fun best book I ever read that helped add to the growing, gnawing, bone-crunching, lipsmacking interest in zombies that, by this point, has swept nearly everyone up into an uncontrollable off the heezy zombie frenzy, that forever changed the world we know, leaving in its' wake a land of apocalyptic death, ruin, and destruction. A world that will never be the same. EVER AGAIN.

And I've been thanking this book ever since!

And all the cool George Romero zombi
Jonathan Janz
Apr 21, 2015 Jonathan Janz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was bat-excrement insane. But that's why we read Laymon. There's a creep of an antagonist. A hot/smart protagonist (with a hot/sorta smart friend). There's a bizarre premise that would only work in a Laymon novel.

And of course there's Richard Laymon's inimitable style.

If you're looking for a pleasant Sunday drive, stay far away from this book. If you feel like being strapped to the hood of a muscle car and driven off a cliff, read RESURRECTION DREAMS.

That is all.
Adam Light
This was okay, but not one of the breast Laymon books I have ever read. Oh geez, I have to watch that, its just that sometimes I accidentally slip one in like that.
Melvin is the poster boy for goofy villains. He has two obsessions; Vicki, the only girl that was ever nice to him in high school (the lesson there is never be nice to the weird guy), and bringing people back from the dead.
Both of these fetishes are going to cause an undue amount of grief for a lot of people, but Melvin could honestly
Bark's Book Nonsense
Dec 07, 2009 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is an amusingly vile take on the back from the grave plot. Laymon takes twisted delight in creating Melvin, a junk food ingesting geek with an all consuming desire to bring back a woman from the dead. He uses old tomes with recipes/spells to bring the dead back to life but never truly believes it’ll work (we would’ve heard about on the news if were possible, wouldn’t we?!). Somehow his most recent *recipe* works and then the fun begins because he’s unprepared to deal with the consequences. ...more
Chris
Jun 26, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you read a Laymon novel, you know what you're getting into
and this novel certainly is in keeping with that. Vicki Chandler returns home to Ellsworth after finishing medical school, even has a job lined up at the local doctor's clinic, but doesn't look forward to seeing Melvin Dobbs again. You see, Melvin owns and operates the town gas station and garage. But he's also known for his crazy high school stunt, when Vicki went to school with him, in which he'd attempted to resurrect a dead cheer
Kasia
Aug 08, 2010 Kasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1988 this book starts off sounding unlike Laymon in many ways but by the time I got sucked into it I appreciated the book for what it was. Published after his untimely death in 2001 the story came out without his final editing but still a good read, especially for the die hard fans. This is certainly not his best book but I enjoyed it, the suspense kept on building up and made me twist in my seat, wondering what is going to happen next.

After finishing medical school Vicki Chandler com
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
People praise Laymon like he is the messiah of Horror; so far my experiences with him have been hit and miss. I was sorely disappointed with Body Rides, madly in love and ready to give my virginity (if it existed any longer, that is) to Resurrection Dreams, but as for this one, I’m stuck smack dab in the middle. On the brink, but never quite getting there.

The plot is cheesy, childishly simple, and mainly predictable. Predictable, cheesy, simple plots can be enjoyed, of course, but one usually ex
James
Mar 05, 2015 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have been in the room when Laymon was working on this one. I picture him drinking Pepsi, eating trail-mix, and having a few chuckles. I had a few chuckles too while reading this. It is one of the more humorous tales from the Laymonverse. And while I thought it was a huge amount of fun, by the end of it I was ready for something else. The amount of stupid decisions by Vicki, our heroine, was really irritating towards the end. Now we all know that stupid decisions are part of the fu ...more
Unapologetic_Bookaholic
Dec 04, 2008 Unapologetic_Bookaholic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of graphic horror
Thomas
Feb 17, 2016 Thomas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, re-read, e-book, 2016
I expect older horror novels to be pretty cheesy, but Resurrection Dreams holds the new record with me. The opening chapters center on a socially awkward high school senior who, for his final science fair project, digs up the corpse of a recently dead classmate, hooks her up to a car battery, and attempts to bring her back to life.

In front of a crowd.

With a megaphone.

Sure, this introduction establishes that Melvin (props to Laymon for the perfect name, by the way) is insane, but it raises severa
Andrew
Hmm...I don't know how I feel about this one, my fifth Richard Laymon book. It's like one of those USA Up All Night movies (hosted by Gilbert Godfrey), mixed with Weeked At Bernie's, a little Porky's, and maybe even a dash of Peter Jackson's Braindead. In a paperback. Yeeesh, I want to like it, I really do! It starts out great, has some gnarly dream sequences, some knee slapping scenes, and even a fairly interesting premise. But, then he doesn't really do anything with the premise. Our antagonis ...more
Angie
Nov 19, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror, suspence, zombie fans
Recommended to Angie by: it was a buddy read on horror aficionados
Shelves: richard-laymon
This was what I now expect from a Richard laymon novel, a good story, that's got all the crazy you need and to have him still obsessed with nipples and asses!

Melvin is the town physco who wants to bring people back from the dead beginning in his senior year with the dug up corpse of a cheerleader classmate. It doesn't work, he ends up hospitalized for a few years, before being released back to his town.

Vicky, the girl he is obsessed with, is also back in town after training to be a doctor. Thin
Bekki Pate
Feb 14, 2016 Bekki Pate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book in a few days - I just couldn't put it down! Fantastic and shocking story with just the right amount of gore. Laymon's ability to misdirect the reader is brilliant - the amount of times my hand was actually up to my mouth in surprise.
Without spoiling the ending - this was the only thing I felt let it down - someone appearing randomly after years and years just 'because' felt a bit forced - like he was trying to shoehorn a happy ending in somewhere.
But on the whole a great re
Alejandro
Jul 08, 2015 Alejandro rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is my second and final Richard Laymon novel. After reading and eviscerating "The Cellar," still possibly the worst horror novel I've ever read, I swore off of Laymon's books. Later, I figured that, seeing as it was his first novel, I owed Laymon another try. Some of my favorite writers (i.e. Brian Keene) cite him as a major influence and, let's face facts, first novels aren't always the best indicator of one's talent. I struggled through "Resurrection Dreams." The characters still aren't ch ...more
Victoria
Sep 11, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombies were never as much fun as this! I am not, in general, a zombie fan... I find most of the movies to be amongst the worst in the horror genre, and the few times I have stumbled across zombies in books, I tend to roll my eyes. But Laymon has a real knack for horror, and made me really enjoy this entertaining and excitingly creepy zombie story. At first the villain, Melvin, seemed so sympathetic on account of his brutally bullied past, as the story continued, he really grew from bullied boy ...more
Adamus
Sep 28, 2015 Adamus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I thought this book was definitely one of if not the funniest Laymon books I've read so far. The characters were great! Specially Melvin LOL the plot was cool I thought that it was gonna be the same type of zombie book everybody's writing these days, but it's far from it. It's definitely a suspenseful book that keeps you guessing there were some great twists in this book also. I really enjoyed the read it was a fast paced funny and horrifying book!! I definitely recommend to Laymon fans if you h ...more
PsypherPunk
I do like Laymon. He's definitely one to file under 'guilty pleasures' but I like him nonethless. Much of this is his usual fare but rather than being filled with a desire to be outright vile, it's written with a sort of impish glee.

My only realy complaint (aside from the frequency with which characters herein either change clothes or shower) is the ending: it's truly awful. I've come to terms with the fact that most endings are at the very least unsatisying, often worse. But this? Was he near a
Sarah Janina
Mar 07, 2016 Sarah Janina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookshelf
Melvin Dobbs hat sich für den Wissenschaftsbeitrag an der Highschool etwas ganz Besonderes einfallen lassen. Von seinen Mitschülern wurde er schon immer beäugt und als Sonderling dargestellt. Melvin hat es satt, ohne ersichtlichen Grund den Außenseiter zu spielen und möchte seine Gegenspieler schocken. Und zwar mit einer Wiederbelebungsmaschine. Als Testobjekt dient ihm eine kürzlich verstorbene Mitschülerin, die er selbst für das Projekt auf dem Friedhof wieder ausgegraben hat.
Als Melvin versu
Daniel
Apr 11, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep hoping that I’ll find a Richard Laymon novel that truly impresses me – but it hasn’t happened yet. Certainly, Laymon was a most competent horror writer, but his work just seems to lack that extra something that would make it vibrant and unforgettable. Resurrection Dreams is a case in point; one of several novels published after Laymon’s untimely death in 2001, it features a most predictable storyline with few surprises along the way, and the supernatural aspect upon which the crux of the ...more
John Bruni
May 01, 2015 John Bruni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from Laymon. The guy just doesn't disappoint. He comes through with the goods each and every time. In this one, a weird kid by the name of Melvin tries to resurrect a dead cheerleader for his science project, but the authorities stop him. Fast forward a few years, and he's an adult. They put him through the system and deemed him sane. Now he runs a gas station at the edge of town by day and kidnaps girls for his resurrection experiments by night. Imagine his excitement when Vi ...more
Addy
Nov 30, 2013 Addy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was another success for Richard Laymon. It was gruesome and actually quite funny. A unique take on zombies and one's sadistic way of resurrecting the dead. Action packed and likeable characters, this one will get your heart pumping. The ending was a little disappointing but overall it made do. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves horror.
Ashley James
May 21, 2013 Ashley James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: richard-laymon
Love Laymon and loved this book, however this has a awful ending and I feel a bit cheated. Wish readers were given clarification as to what happened to Melvin inparticular. Feel a couple more chapters were need however that may be a sign of not wanting the book to end as i loved the rest of the book.
Maurean
AS usual with Laymon, I found this book gorey, horrific and down right fun to read! Laymon's books are like watching a cheesy B horror flick; one of my all-time favorite pasttimes...yeah, you need a vivid imagination and a suspension of reality to get 'sucked in', but boy oh boy, is it worth it!
Mark
Sep 05, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The first Laymon book I read (loaned from my now sister-in-law), I enjoyed this enough to track down more of the same. Written in that golden period when he wasn't a) trying to tell the story at the speed of sound and b) wasn't trying to make each novel a doorstop.
Amber
May 14, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so mortifiying that I could barely put it down. I loved it for that fact. Laymon is positively one of the most gruisome writters I have read.
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
‘Resurrection Dreams’ weaves an over-the-top yet somewhat engaging story about a creepy guy, Melvin who is obsessed with the idea of resurrecting dead people. He is also fixated with Vicki who was nice to him while others either ignored him or ridiculed him.

Melvin was a very believable antagonist and he’s easily the most (somewhat) fleshed out character. Laymon succeeded in portraying him as the typical weird kid that everyone stays away from or makes fun of. As if that isn’t bad enough, Melvin
Marsten
Oct 16, 2012 Marsten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror
Un libro interesante.
Con un estilo ameno, ágil y sin florituras, Richard Laymon nos explica una historia entretenida. Empieza de forma impactante, la trama baja un poco el nivel y de ritmo visto lo que apuntaba el inicio y el final vuelve a coger "punch" y acaba de forma trepidante y extrema.
Richard Laymon nos regala sus habituales escenas de violencia y sexo explícito en ciertos pasajes de la novela, aunque en mi opnión sin llegar a la aberraciones de su brutal Sangre en el Bosque. Está más com
Kelly
Hailed as a king in the genre, I can guarantee this review will attract flamers and enough hate mail to make even Vanilla Ice feel good about his life, but someone has to say it and it might as well be me. As much as I respect and admire Richard Laymon, he has now become the Tupac Shakur of the writing world, and it’s beginning to show. Wait, put down those pitchforks and torches and let me explain.

After I put this book down, I realized that – much like second-hand smoke- the plot had sucked ye
Scott Rachui
Every October I find myself picking up a horror book or two in celebration of Halloween. This book represents the first of that genre for 2006. I had heard a lot about Richard Laymon and thought I'd give him a try. After reading Resurrection Dreams, I'll say that he writes fairly well, his stories are interesting and well-paced, and I have generally enjoyed his writing.

In this book, the main character is a very disturbed youngster in high school obsessed with the idea of resurrection from the de
Trevor Firetog
Out of all the Richard Laymon books I've read (and believe me, I have read quite a few) this one is the only one with an ending that I have truly enjoyed! There are NO spoilers here, I would just like to say that this ending gave me the satisfaction that I craved.

Other than that, while not my favorite Laymon book, it is right up there! The characters are enjoyable. It's bloody, and sexy, as you would expect from his books. And it has a concept that I actually enjoyed reading about.

The idea of re
  • The Killing Kind
  • Triage
  • Castaways
  • Hotter Blood: More Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #2)
  • Flesh Gothic
  • Death's Dominion
  • Night Life
  • The Resort
Richard Laymon was born in Chicago and grew up in California. He earned a BA in English Literature from Willamette University, Oregon and an MA from Loyola University, Los Angeles. He worked as a schoolteacher, a librarian, and a report writer for a law firm, and was the author of more than thirty acclaimed novels.

He also published more than sixty short stories in magazines such as Ellery Queen,
More about Richard Laymon...

“Killing, resurrecting, living with a zombie. Even if she could accept all that,” 1 likes