Start by marking “The Queens of K-Town” as Want to Read:
The Queens of K-Town

The Queens of K-Town

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  35 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The story of four damaged girls who love and avenge one another in the playground of New York's Korea-town.Reminiscent of Jeffrey Eugenides's The Virgin Suicides and Joyce Carol Oates's Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang, The Queens of K-town introduces us to twenty-six-year-old Cora Moon. She returns to New York bruised, broken-hearted, and on the verge of ending it all. ...more
Published September 25th 2009 by M P Publishing Ltd. (first published August 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Queens of K-Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queens of K-Town

Luna Shen
Sep 14, 2015 Luna Shen rated it really liked it
(Spoiler alert)
The ending was truly beautiful and a great culmination of a lot that the story is about:

There's four girls, and one family, that, though sometimes physically together, and often brought physically close, seem to be complete strangers to each other. They're disassociated from one another and from themselves. They all casually come in and and out of each others' lives, meeting at junctures, just to part so that they never truly understand each other.

There's a lot of disassociation
Rosa
Jul 24, 2009 Rosa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I began reading this novel, I noticed in the author bio that this was Angela Mi Young Hur's debut novel. I'm glad I knew that ahead of time. Hur's ability to capture images with the written language is wonderful. She has a way with words that illustrates people and places and makes you be able to be one with the characters.

But, beyond that, I wasn't completely impressed. The book started off so wonderfully. Cora, the main character, moves from the OC to NYC after her mother moves back to
Mister Mank
Apr 20, 2008 Mister Mank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hur, with disciplined finesse, catalogs the messiness of relationships, made messier by love, loss, drink, drugs, sex, identity-crises, depression, and of course, physics. Despite all the talk of suicide, Hur's Cora has the gift of wit. A dour wit that will liven any cynical and over-educated, but all broken-up inside, twenty-to-thirty-something's lonely Friday night. The double narrative simultaneously tracks Cora's coming of age, and coming apart -- a life once crammed with people turned into ...more
Sandra
Jan 01, 2008 Sandra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wanted to hurt themselves
"Lady, You're weird." So says the little boy in the stationery store as Cora explains outerspace physics to him. KID...I AGREE!

I read the reviews on the back cover and I was sold. A NEW VOICE! FRESH! Never judge a book by its cover. This story of a Korean-American in Korea Town, Manhattan just didn't grab me or make me care about the story or the characters. I don't think it was a difference of cultures that was causing this disconnect for me, I think it was the over-wordiness of the author; th
Gunjan
Sep 25, 2007 Gunjan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that's interested in a young, new voice in fiction
a little self-indulgent. powerful ending, but uneven to start.

"the cliche of it all was what bothered me the most, like i was desperate to prove my authenticity like any other immigrant's kid."

"there's the trope of the suicidal asian girl that's everywhere in East asian literature, film, even pop music. A white girl kills herself and it's a senseless tragedy, a human expression of defiance or defeat. An asian girl does the same and it smacks of something cultural."
Sonja
Dec 16, 2011 Sonja rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wished I could like this first novel by a young Korean American female author. Alas, this was amateurish at best. Summarizing everything she pulled out by going back to her ethnic heritage was a recent ethnic lit market's nightmare.
Feb 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the title, I thought this book was going to be very very bad. But I have to tell you, the actual story/plot was very touching. She needs to re-work the title.
Susie
Life is too short for me to finish reading this book.
Jun 16, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not many people
narcissistic, depressing.
Staci
Staci marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Rooroomeb
Rooroomeb marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
R.
R. marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Kevin Buckland
Kevin Buckland marked it as to-read
Boris Bower
Boris Bower is currently reading it
Matt Anderson
Matt Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Brian Hart
Brian Hart is currently reading it
Jennifer Jones
Jennifer Jones marked it as to-read
Trevor Newman
Trevor Newman is currently reading it
Barry Welsh
Barry Welsh marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Soarlighter
Soarlighter marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Susan
Susan added it
Jan 29, 2016
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
619688
I was born in L.A. and grew up in Gardena. When I was fourteen I moved east to attend Phillips Academy in Andover, MA. Then to Cambridge (Harvard), to SF (24th St. Cheese Co.), to South Bend, Indiana (MFA at Notre Dame), Brooklyn for a year, Atlanta for a few months, Long Beach, SF/Oakland, Stockholm, Seoul, and now moving back to Stockholm.

The Queens of K-town was my first novel. I'm trying to w