Start by marking “The Good Nanny: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Good Nanny: A Novel

The Good Nanny: A Novel

2.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The Cross family's new nanny is perfect. A natural with children, a whiz in the kitchen, and a gifted painter, the only thing Miss Washington can't seem to do is make a mistake. But thanks to Stuart Cross's artistic ambitions, his wife Andie's mounting paranoia, and the nanny's smitten ex-boyfriend, what should be domestic bliss quickly turns into an outrageous disaster.
Published January 24th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Nanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Nanny

Pamtallon
Mar 17, 2014 Pamtallon rated it did not like it
I actually didn't read (i.e. listen) the whole book. I stopped after listening to the first CD. I agree with all the other 1* comments.
Ann
Oct 20, 2014 Ann rated it it was ok
Martha
Jun 16, 2008 Martha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: audio
This book made me want to scream. Overly privileged wasp couple hire the perfect nanny. The wife is the hysterical type about her two daughters. The couple moved to the country to get away from New York crime.

The perfect nanny is not perfect enough for the mother and their senseless behavior bodes very bad for the nanny.

I was so angry at this couple in the end and their stupidity was the cause of everything.

I realize that this is meant to be a kind of black humor, but it was just too over the t
Elisa Brienza
May 14, 2015 Elisa Brienza rated it did not like it
Abysmal.
Margaret
Sep 17, 2012 Margaret rated it it was ok

I knew this book was gearing up to something, but in the end, it wasn't good. A couple who valued their high power jobs more than anything, two girls who needed smart parents, a perfect nanny and a house only built to impress everyone. Perhaps this was a commentary on parents who value things and themselves more than people, because it didn't say much of anything else. If I'd read the reviews before I read the book, I wouldn't have bothered.
Penelope
Sep 05, 2008 Penelope rated it did not like it
Quite possibly the WORST book ever. I listened to all 8, 9 or 10 CDs on a long road trip when the munchins where sleeping. I can't think of a reason I finished even the first CD except I must have been road crazy. I've never wanted to write an author and tell them how crappy their book was ..... until I listened to this one. BEWARE!!

Stephanie
Feb 11, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantastic-finds
There are many interesting themes in this book, and the author's inability to pick one and really run with it has kept me from giving this really good book five stars (I'm also constrained by the utterly depressing ending--didn't see that one coming). This is not a book for those who don't care to be challenged by their literature.
Sep 08, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Dark satire of life in a nice NYC suburb with high-strung parents (the kind of people who never should have been parents) and their poor employee. The twist ending was depressing, but I loved all the jabs at the publishing world. Not much of an exaggeration, especially about how projects increase in value when someone dies.
Ticia
Apr 23, 2011 Ticia rated it did not like it
This had to be one of the most irritating and boring plotlines I have ever encountered. Had I not been listening to it on a long drive I would have dropped it in the trash. Except for the nanny the characters were moronic and ridiculous. The ending is the worst part of all. I wish I had this six hours of my life back.
Karen
Jul 07, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
Quick read. I actually liked the first part, even though the characters were exaggerated. It seemed like more of a parody than real life, and it was kind of fun. BUT, the ending was terrible and made me dislike the whole book. It was totally unrealistic and made the whole book feel like a cheap set-up.
Patty
Apr 16, 2012 Patty rated it it was ok
I wasn't too happy about how this story was going. It's a satire and the main characters were not that likeable. So I checked out the Goodreads reviews, and they warned me it would end badly. This at least prepared me for the highly manufactured tragedy at the end.
Kim
Nov 05, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
This book was witty and satirical and truly suspenseful and dark until the last bit, when Cheever lost me. It got almost melodramatic, lost its amazing spark and humor and went from 6 out of 5 to 4 out of 5. Still highly recommended, but don't read it for the ending!
Maureen
May 21, 2009 Maureen rated it it was ok
A quick read. A interesting fictional way to question ones priorities.
I need help...
I really am stuck in what should get a 2 or 3 stars. I need to define what gets a 2 and what gets a 3.
This book is average. Just like the last couple books I have read.
Karen
Oct 03, 2007 Karen rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I wish I'd given up on this book early on, when the female half of the couple got hysterical for no good reason. That way I wouldn't have been around at the end when the male half did the same damn thing. Bah.
I fully agree with other readers that this was more of a parody/black humour sort of book, but it was done in such a way that I was bored and skipped to the end. The twist at the end was ridiculous.
Topmar
Feb 08, 2010 Topmar rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book, as I dig Cheever's book on running, called "Strides." But I didn't. I read until the end, though, so it had some suspense.
Anderson
Apr 29, 2009 Anderson rated it it was ok
So far the story is just unfolding and the characters are mildly interesting although some details are cliche but maybe I'll find out why as I continue reading....
Nita Van damme
May 04, 2013 Nita Van damme rated it liked it
Well, this was a very strange book. It gives new meaning to the term self-centered.
Hollydays
It was just 'okay' It was the most unusual book I've read in quite some time.
Tina
Jun 25, 2008 Tina added it
I could not get into this book at all...I finally returned it to the library.
Donna
Jan 25, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok
Supposed to be a "black comedy" but not very funny.
Bill
Dec 07, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
Very interesting story. Surprises throughout.
Kristin
Oct 18, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok
Dark and slightly moronic.
Aug 19, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lame ending.
Rayna
Rayna marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Ellyn
Ellyn added it
Feb 02, 2016
E
E rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016