Start by marking “Forces Make Things Move” as Want to Read:
Forces Make Things Move

Forces Make Things Move (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2)

There are forces at work whenever you throw a ball, run up the stairs, or push your big brotheroff the couch. Want to learn more about the forces around you? Read and find out!
Published August 16th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Forces Make Things Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forces Make Things Move

Julian Franklin
There are many forces around us. This book describe many of the forces around us in a realistic way. It provides information that is easily understood. I would use the vocabulary in the book to draw literacy connections. I would also have students label the different places around school where there is a force acting. I would talk about how it is important that students are able to identify and explain the forces around them.
Bethe
maybe too much text for a read aloud, but lots of great examples of gravity, friction, and things moving. Love the hockey example and the different interactions between the diverse sets of brothers and sisters.
Nicola Mansfield
Jun 17, 2013 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
From such a simple, basic book manages to give a detailed explanation of just what force is and consequently gravity. This book will have children moving, pushing and pulling as they read or hear the text. It is a very kinetic text and the sometimes difficult science topic is explained effortlessly with detail and humour. One note on the humour: big brother is frequently used as the nemesis in the book as the force or opposition to the force which could cause some problems if your kids get as ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
I really like this series of science books for kids because they are so approachable for young children. Forces Make Things Move is no different. Short and simple enough not to be intimidating, but informative enough to be worthwhile to read and to pique curiosity.

I do not like the illustrator for this one. I do not like the cartoon-y looks of the images, so that took away from my enjoyment of the book. I also don't like all the "jokes" about big brother. Children will find the book interesting
Heather
Oct 30, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
I bought this thinking I'd probably read it once or twice with the kids and then re-sell it. No. I'm keeping it. This was an excellent introduction/explanation to forces and work. Solid examples, clear text, nice illustrations. My older boys (age 12) listened to this as well. I thought this 'little kid book' did an even better job explaining force than their textbook had!

A solid resource. We'll definitely use again.
Kellee Hao
Grade: 3rd

If you push this item, you are experiencing force. If you do anything, you are experiencing something. This book gives some really great examples of forces in your daily activities. Whether they are on Earth or out in space, you’re experiencing force somehow. This would be a good addition to your science portion of your classroom library.
Erin
Apr 06, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
What a great book to teach about force. The book provides information that is easy for students to understand. It uses everyday examples to teach friction, force and gravity. I also like how the end of the book provides some pictures and information about what would happen if there was no gravity on Earth.
Mary
May 30, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Great book to teach kids about push, pull, gravity, forces & friction. While it is slightly wordy for a picture book, my kids(3 & 5 yo) hung in there and listened to the entire book. They learned a lot added some great words to their vocabulary and have a great understanding of forces after only reading it one time!
Shira Burns
This book explains forces to young children by explaining that everthing they do is either a push or pull. This text does contain science vocabulary pertaining to the concept. I would use this book as a means to engage students into a science lesson about push and pull.
Amelia
Nov 06, 2013 Amelia rated it liked it
I found the text to picture ratio a little dense and expected my kids might find the explanations a little dry and unclear. That being said my three year old has asked for this book twice and my five year old seems to be getting the concepts.
Jenny
Jan 28, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This was a good non-fiction book that simplified the concepts of motion in ways kids could understand. My 7 and 5-year-old enjoyed it and wanted to talk about it again later.
Elaine Shandra
Elaine Shandra rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Rayleen Mace
Rayleen Mace rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Hayley
Hayley rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Meredith Atkinson
May 27, 2013 Meredith Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 2nd graders love finding new examples of friction and gravity after reading this book.
Justin Redd
Justin Redd rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Mary O'Bryant
Mary O'Bryant rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Kathy Aguirre
Kathy Aguirre rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Ashika & Nalini
Ashika & Nalini rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Michelle DeMello
Michelle DeMello rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Ericka McDonald
Ericka McDonald rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Donna Bashaw
Donna Bashaw rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Xander
Xander rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Alec
Alec rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Kyle McVay
Kyle McVay rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Kelly Merfford
Kelly Merfford rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1967, very near the small town that was the setting for my first book, Ruthie's Gift. I attended Smith College, in Northampton, Massachusetts, and graduated with a degree in chemistry just a few weeks before I married my high school sweetheart--Bart Bradley.

I studied chemistry in college because that was what I most loved to learn, but it's not what
More about Kimberly Brubaker Bradley...

Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 80 books)
  • Follow the Water from Brook to Ocean
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • The Sky Is Full of Stars
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs
  • Germs Make Me Sick!
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Wiggling Worms at Work
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Mission to Mars