Start by marking “Paul Moves Out” as Want to Read:
Paul Moves Out

Paul Moves Out (Paul #3)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  678 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Michel Rabagliati delivers another charming, thinly veiled memoir.

Michel Rabagliati crafts stories that are easily accessible to both young-adult and adult audiences with his semifictional protagonist, Paul. In Paul Moves Out he takes another step into adulthood by moving out of his parents’ house and into his first apartment with his girlfriend, enjoying life’s pleasures...more
Published May 15th 2005 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Paul Moves Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Moves Out

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
356th out of 1,701 books — 4,088 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
I really enjoyed reading Michel Rabagliati's for the first time. It's a delight to read about this simple relationship so full of happiness. I'll need to do a little background research to find out how autobiographical Rabagliati's novels are. (There is a photograph at the end of the book that is in the story.) If you want to read a graphic novel that will make you feel good, pick this one up! Lovely illustrating too!
Shannon
This doesn't carry the same weight as Paul Has a Summer Job. The graphics are well-crafted, but the story reads more like a sit-com than dramatic ficiton. More comparable to Lynn Johnston's For Better or For Worse comic strip series. While the basic themes and topics of the novel are weighty, the comic relief of a tweeting pet bird and children's antics distract from the development of the relationship of the two main characters. Not that their relationship develops much. I enjoyed reading this,...more
Sabrina
This Canadian artist's thinly veiled auto bio comic is tightly drawn and loosely narrated with a certain casual charm. The vaguely retro panels may be explained by the author's years in the graphic design trade. The writing ambles through a series of amusing scenarios, managing to hold my interest without any strong plot line beyond the guy's fairly well adjusted coming of age. In short: No big deal of a story, but it won my heart with sheer amiability and excellent understated art.
Melissa Chung
This graphic novel was very strange. Almost like a semi-autobiographical look at the authors life in his early twenties. It's about a boy named Paul and a girl named Lucie who meet in college while learning the beautiful trade of graphic design. There first year was mostly learning old techniques on drawing and then they get a new gay teacher that broadens their minds with new age color drawings and logo designs. Yada yada the gay teacher enlightens them with a trip to New York to see modern art...more
Kate
Adorable is the only way to describe this. I really liked the animation in the book as well. The story didn't really go anywhere but it was well put together. I'd like to read other Paul stories now, reading this you get a real attachment to the characters and fall in love with them.
Lalinilla
El primer tomo me encantó, pero con este me he enamorado definitivamente del mundo de Michel Rabagliati.
Samantha
In this volume Paul moves into his first apartment with his girlfriend, attends graphic design school and babysits 2 little girl with endless energy.

I liked the simplicity of this book. Paul moves into an apartment and has very few possessions, but he is pretty happy. There's a lot of focus on how the introduction of a new professor at the design school effects the program and Paul's education as both a student and a human.

The scenes that depict Paul babysitting are among my favorite in this b...more
Amélie
Première bédé de l’année ! (J’essaie de lire plus de bédés, mais j’en ai pas trop l’habitude & j’oublie souvent d’en emprunter à la bibliothèque. C’est une situation à laquelle je tente de remédier.)

& quelle bédé parfaitement réconfortante – douce, drôle, occasionnellement émouvante, toujours pleine à craquer de ces petits détails qu’on se plaît à remarquer.

J’ai commencé la série des Paul cet été (à peu près dix ans après tout le monde, oui, je sais) & au début je comprenais pas tro...more
Oscar
C'est la BD qui signale le début de la vie adulte de Paul. C'est dommage que je n'aie jamais visité Montréal, car l'histoire y se déroule et j'aurais pu identifier des endroits tels que le Parc La Fontaine et le Mont Royal (faudrait que quelqu'un se mette à écrire et dessiner la version Vancouverienne!). Sinon, il y a des moments dans la BD qui m'ont fait me souvenir des anecdotes qui me sont arrivées dans le passé et que j'avais oublié. C'est ça que j'aime dans la série de Paul: Rabagliati, le...more
Steve Wilson
Clear, slightly nostalgic b/w artwork is used to tell this mini coming of age tale set in the early 1980s in Montreal. The setting transports you, Paul's youthful naivete is convincingly portrayed. This would be suitable for use with the senior grades of high school.
Yves
Paul commence maintenant sa vie d'adulte et emménage en appartement avec sa copine Lucie. On a droit à un flashback sur leur rencontre à l'école de design graphique. Ensuite on revient au présent pour raconter leur quotidien dans leur nouvelle vie. Le plus marquant est lorsqu'ils doivent garder les nièces de Lucie.

Michel Rabagliati a ce don de raconter des histoires à la fois comiques et touchantes. Il saisi bien le quotidien des nouveaux couples et de leur passage en appartement. Dans plusieurs...more
Jack Cheng
I'm gobbling up the Paul books. This one is about Paul and Lucie's first apartment in Montreal. He details how they met in art school and some of their adventures as tenants. Sweet.
Nicholas Siebers
A fun read, not quite as good as Paul Goes Fishing, but surprisingly moving at the end.
Vleegoodfellow
Written with Rabagliati's usual rigors, but in this volume he fails to fully realize his central theme with his characteristic clarity, like he did in his first two books so brilliantly. The result is an enjoyable, but ultimately unfocused read, which you wish would have taken a few more steps into being as brilliant as the first two books, "Paul In the Country" and "Paul Has A Summer Job." An entertaining read, but not quite as emotionally rewarding.
HeavyReader
This is a coming of age story about a nice, calm young man from/living in Canada. It touches on some sensitive issues (a straight guy getting hit on by his older gay teacher, a heterosexual couple moving in together, the possible desire to have children) without ever getting graphic. I understand why it was in the young adult section of the public library. But the art is really good and I did not feel disappointed when I finished reading it.
Maryse
Première lecture de BD depuis l'enfance. Je pensais que je n'arriverais jamais à aimer le roman graphique. Et l'expérience m'a agréablement surprise. (Rire toute seule dans ma chambre. Oui.) L'ensemble est plutôt anecdotique, des récits d'événements ordinaires de la vie et pas mal de pointes d'humour. Bons dessins, les angles et les détails sont originaux. Mais il y a parfois des longueurs... on sent que le bédéiste s'essoufle.
Matti Karjalainen
Michel Rabagliatin kolmas Paul-tarina ei yllä aivan edeltäjiensä tasolle, mutta on silti kaunis tarina taas yhdestä askeleesta kohti aikuisuutta. Sarjakuvassa muistellaan tällä kertaa opiskeluvuosia, tulevaan vaimoon tutustumista sekä ensimmäistä yhteistä asuntoa. Haaveet perheen perustamisesta nousevat myös pintaan sukulaislasten vieraillessa. "Paul Moves Out" on myös jonkinlainen kunnianosoitus suurelle Hérgelle.
Abby
Jan 13, 2008 Abby rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
Not quite as great as "Paul Has a Summer Job," but still well worth reading. Rabagliati's drawing style is beautiful -- clean, graceful lines and perfectly detailed interiors that don't suffer from cramped meticulousness (is that a word?). You care about these characters, who are familiar and flawed but not as self-loathing as many others in this genre. I'm anxiously awaiting the next one, due in March 08.
France
Quelques années ont passé et Paul vit maintenant en appartement avec Lucie, sa petite amie. Petit retour en arrière et l’on apprend que Paul est retourné sur les bancs d’école où il rencontrera Lucie. Cette BD est décidément formidable et dans chaque livre, je replonge dans mes propres souvenirs!
Zvi
Nice book with the cheerful and optimistic tone and simple, charming art that Rabagliati is known for, along with some sharp observations of Montreal in the late 70s-early 80s. I found it endearing, especially the emotional transformation of a young couple near the end of the novel.
Andre
La vie de Paul continue, avec les changements d'une relation amoureuse. Une histoire touchante qui goûte Montréal.
Paul's story continues as he gets involved and moves out with her. A nice, well told, touching slice of life that resonates with Montreal's life.
Robin
This quaint slice-of-life graphic novel depicts a young couple's experiences at design school and living together. It had potential, but I was disappointed that I didn't get to know the characters in greater depth. I won't be reading others in the series.
Kyla
This book made me want to head to Montreal immediately. And this was a nice change of graphic novel pace because I kept waiting for the other shoe of comic misery to drop and - it didn't. A cheerful graphic novel, how lovely.
Frank
In this episode of Rabagliati's fictional comics autobiography, Paul meets Lucie, gets started as a graphic designer, and moves into an apartment. This one is just as fascinatingly detailed and enjoyable as the other two.
Géraldine
Cet épisode prend place au moment où Paul et Lucie s'installent dans leur premier appartement et partagent des moments simples mais précieux, avec des flash back sur le début de leur histoire.
Scott Lapierre
The plot is kind of wimpy and thin (and I say this as a lover of stories "about nothing"), but the renderings of Montreal and city life are beautiful. A wispy, light, pleasant read.
Elizabeth Ramos
I thought Paul Moves Out was a great comic about growing up and facing what lies ahead. It was adorable how Paul and his girlfriend Lucie are simply enjoying living together.
Coen Vazquez
I think I enjoyed the first book better, but this one is still fantastic. I like the way these books are laid out. It just seems very real... and the relationships are lovely.
Liane
Loved this installment of Michel Rabagliati's Paul books. Really interesting to see the stuff about graphic art vs. graphic design, cyclical spending on Mac products.
  • Jamilti and Other Stories
  • Wimbledon Green
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • Reunion
  • Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China
  • Hicksville
  • Everything We Miss
  • The Poor Bastard
  • Ed the Happy Clown (A Yummy Fur Book)
  • Tamara Drewe
  • Ordinary Victories
  • Abandon the Old in Tokyo
  • Lucky
  • Penny Century
Paul Has a Summer Job Paul Goes Fishing Paul à Québec Paul au parc Paul à la campagne