Start by marking “Paul Moves Out” as Want to Read:
Paul Moves Out

Paul Moves Out (Paul #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  936 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Michel Rabagliati delivers another charming, thinly veiled memoir.

Michel Rabagliati crafts stories that are easily accessible to both young-adult and adult audiences with his semifictional protagonist, Paul. In Paul Moves Out he takes another step into adulthood by moving out of his parents' house and into his first apartment with his girlfriend, enjoying life's pleasures
Published May 15th 2005 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Paul Moves Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul Moves Out

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
419th out of 2,263 books — 5,362 voters
V for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sculptor by Scott McCloudRoller Girl by Victoria JamiesonPaul Moves Out by Michel RabagliatiDeath by Neil Gaiman
Graphics Recommendations
4th out of 32 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauren
I really enjoyed reading Michel Rabagliati's for the first time. It's a delight to read about this simple relationship so full of happiness. I'll need to do a little background research to find out how autobiographical Rabagliati's novels are. (There is a photograph at the end of the book that is in the story.) If you want to read a graphic novel that will make you feel good, pick this one up! Lovely illustrating too!
Shannon
Jan 31, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
This doesn't carry the same weight as Paul Has a Summer Job. The graphics are well-crafted, but the story reads more like a sit-com than dramatic ficiton. More comparable to Lynn Johnston's For Better or For Worse comic strip series. While the basic themes and topics of the novel are weighty, the comic relief of a tweeting pet bird and children's antics distract from the development of the relationship of the two main characters. Not that their relationship develops much. I enjoyed reading this, ...more
Tays
Nov 25, 2015 Tays rated it really liked it
Well for a Michel Rabagliati virgin, Paul Moves Out is such a delight. It was insightful, since I'm looking for a career in design myself. Quite informative if you ask me. The illustrations were pretty nice and is what I would normally expect from a comic strip. I have a feeling that this might be an autobiography with a few fictional elements to it, nevertheless this was an enjoyable read. Fictional or not, it gave me a really great time reading it. For the substance though, it's basically just ...more
Sabrina
Mar 08, 2011 Sabrina rated it really liked it
This Canadian artist's thinly veiled auto bio comic is tightly drawn and loosely narrated with a certain casual charm. The vaguely retro panels may be explained by the author's years in the graphic design trade. The writing ambles through a series of amusing scenarios, managing to hold my interest without any strong plot line beyond the guy's fairly well adjusted coming of age. In short: No big deal of a story, but it won my heart with sheer amiability and excellent understated art.
Jonathan Coulombe
Here's my entry point into the acclaimed series by Rabagliati. Overall, I am left with mixed impressions. I was intrigued and enjoyed it sufficiently to read the other titles of the series, but I also hope that is not the best of it.

The story takes place in the early 80s, with Paul and his girlfriend moving into their own apartment, but is also relating via flashbacks how he met his girlfriend and part of his first steps into adulthood.

The story feels like a snapshot of normal life, with nothing
Melissa Chung
May 15, 2014 Melissa Chung rated it liked it
This graphic novel was very strange. Almost like a semi-autobiographical look at the authors life in his early twenties. It's about a boy named Paul and a girl named Lucie who meet in college while learning the beautiful trade of graphic design. There first year was mostly learning old techniques on drawing and then they get a new gay teacher that broadens their minds with new age color drawings and logo designs. Yada yada the gay teacher enlightens them with a trip to New York to see modern art ...more
Kate
Apr 10, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Adorable is the only way to describe this. I really liked the animation in the book as well. The story didn't really go anywhere but it was well put together. I'd like to read other Paul stories now, reading this you get a real attachment to the characters and fall in love with them.
Lalinilla
Jul 29, 2013 Lalinilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, en-francés
El primer tomo me encantó, pero con este me he enamorado definitivamente del mundo de Michel Rabagliati.
Samantha
Jan 03, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
In this volume Paul moves into his first apartment with his girlfriend, attends graphic design school and babysits 2 little girl with endless energy.

I liked the simplicity of this book. Paul moves into an apartment and has very few possessions, but he is pretty happy. There's a lot of focus on how the introduction of a new professor at the design school effects the program and Paul's education as both a student and a human.

The scenes that depict Paul babysitting are among my favorite in this b
Amélie
Feb 06, 2012 Amélie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: québec, bédés, 2012
Première bédé de l’année ! (J’essaie de lire plus de bédés, mais j’en ai pas trop l’habitude & j’oublie souvent d’en emprunter à la bibliothèque. C’est une situation à laquelle je tente de remédier.)

& quelle bédé parfaitement réconfortante – douce, drôle, occasionnellement émouvante, toujours pleine à craquer de ces petits détails qu’on se plaît à remarquer.

J’ai commencé la série des Paul cet été (à peu près dix ans après tout le monde, oui, je sais) & au début je comprenais pas tro
Santiago
Apr 24, 2013 Santiago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
C'est la BD qui signale le début de la vie adulte de Paul. C'est dommage que je n'aie jamais visité Montréal, car l'histoire y se déroule et j'aurais pu identifier des endroits tels que le Parc La Fontaine et le Mont Royal (faudrait que quelqu'un se mette à écrire et dessiner la version Vancouverienne!). Sinon, il y a des moments dans la BD qui m'ont fait me souvenir des anecdotes qui me sont arrivées dans le passé et que j'avais oublié. C'est ça que j'aime dans la série de Paul: Rabagliati, le ...more
Martyn
I'm enjoying this series but there is a distinct bourgeois undertone that creeps in from time to time, not to mention questionable small "p" political nuances that I find distasteful. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that puts me off though, it just feels a little reactionary at times. I certainly did not like the way that the Vietnamese family or homeless people were portrayed.
Steve Wilson
Clear, slightly nostalgic b/w artwork is used to tell this mini coming of age tale set in the early 1980s in Montreal. The setting transports you, Paul's youthful naivete is convincingly portrayed. This would be suitable for use with the senior grades of high school.
Yves
Oct 07, 2012 Yves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul commence maintenant sa vie d'adulte et emménage en appartement avec sa copine Lucie. On a droit à un flashback sur leur rencontre à l'école de design graphique. Ensuite on revient au présent pour raconter leur quotidien dans leur nouvelle vie. Le plus marquant est lorsqu'ils doivent garder les nièces de Lucie.

Michel Rabagliati a ce don de raconter des histoires à la fois comiques et touchantes. Il saisi bien le quotidien des nouveaux couples et de leur passage en appartement. Dans plusieurs
Jack Cheng
I'm gobbling up the Paul books. This one is about Paul and Lucie's first apartment in Montreal. He details how they met in art school and some of their adventures as tenants. Sweet.
Melle
A sweet, gentle story about a young man's blossoming relationship with his partner. A nice book for post-college students who are getting on their feet.
Solange te parle
May 28, 2015 Solange te parle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Mignon, mais je ne sais pas si ça me donne pour autant envie de continuer la série. Tout plein de détails tendres pour qui a vécu à Montréal...
Jeannette
Nov 28, 2014 Jeannette rated it liked it
Great illustrations of one of my favorite cities. Sweet diary-like reminiscing. A lovely little read for a sick day afternoon.
Marie
Dec 13, 2015 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
J'aime bien les dessins de Rabagliati, sa justesse pour décrire des petits et grands moments de la vie et son humour.
Melissa
Mar 22, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Adorable! Paul part en appartement et nous permet d'être témoins des petits bonheurs quotidiens de sa vie!
Nicholas Siebers
Feb 14, 2014 Nicholas Siebers rated it really liked it
A fun read, not quite as good as Paul Goes Fishing, but surprisingly moving at the end.
Elyse NG
Jun 09, 2015 Elyse NG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd, qc
Une étoile supplémentaire pour les références à la Mélodie du Bonheur :D
Bryanzk
Feb 12, 2016 Bryanzk rated it it was amazing
sweet moment of the last pages
Dominic Fortin-Charland
Un bon moment.
Raquel
Apr 16, 2015 Raquel rated it it was ok
Shelves: banda-desenhada
It's worse than other books of the serie and I didn't like the prejudice that Paul imposes on his nieces when they talk about poor people...
Vleegoodfellow
Jun 25, 2012 Vleegoodfellow rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Written with Rabagliati's usual rigors, but in this volume he fails to fully realize his central theme with his characteristic clarity, like he did in his first two books so brilliantly. The result is an enjoyable, but ultimately unfocused read, which you wish would have taken a few more steps into being as brilliant as the first two books, "Paul In the Country" and "Paul Has A Summer Job." An entertaining read, but not quite as emotionally rewarding.
HeavyReader
Sep 11, 2008 HeavyReader rated it liked it
This is a coming of age story about a nice, calm young man from/living in Canada. It touches on some sensitive issues (a straight guy getting hit on by his older gay teacher, a heterosexual couple moving in together, the possible desire to have children) without ever getting graphic. I understand why it was in the young adult section of the public library. But the art is really good and I did not feel disappointed when I finished reading it.
Maryse
Mar 26, 2012 Maryse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Première lecture de BD depuis l'enfance. Je pensais que je n'arriverais jamais à aimer le roman graphique. Et l'expérience m'a agréablement surprise. (Rire toute seule dans ma chambre. Oui.) L'ensemble est plutôt anecdotique, des récits d'événements ordinaires de la vie et pas mal de pointes d'humour. Bons dessins, les angles et les détails sont originaux. Mais il y a parfois des longueurs... on sent que le bédéiste s'essoufle.
Matti Karjalainen
Michel Rabagliatin kolmas Paul-tarina ei yllä aivan edeltäjiensä tasolle, mutta on silti kaunis tarina taas yhdestä askeleesta kohti aikuisuutta. Sarjakuvassa muistellaan tällä kertaa opiskeluvuosia, tulevaan vaimoon tutustumista sekä ensimmäistä yhteistä asuntoa. Haaveet perheen perustamisesta nousevat myös pintaan sukulaislasten vieraillessa. "Paul Moves Out" on myös jonkinlainen kunnianosoitus suurelle Hérgelle.
Abby
Jan 13, 2008 Abby rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
Not quite as great as "Paul Has a Summer Job," but still well worth reading. Rabagliati's drawing style is beautiful -- clean, graceful lines and perfectly detailed interiors that don't suffer from cramped meticulousness (is that a word?). You care about these characters, who are familiar and flawed but not as self-loathing as many others in this genre. I'm anxiously awaiting the next one, due in March 08.
  • Nicolas
  • Valentin
  • Les deuxièmes
  • Harvey
  • White Rapids
  • The Secrets Come Out (Aya, #3)
  • Clyde Fans, Book 1
  • Jamilti and Other Stories
  • Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China
  • Ce qui est précieux (Le combat ordinaire, #3)
  • Hicksville