Start by marking “Time Windows” as Want to Read:
Time Windows

Time Windows

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  787 ratings  ·  81 reviews

When Miranda moves with her family to a new house in a small Massachusetts town, she discovers a mysterious antique—a dollhouse. Through the windows, she is shocked to find what seem to be living people in the tiny rooms, and gradually she realizes that scenes from the lives of the big house’s past inhabitants are being replayed there. “With numerous deftly sketched charac

Published April 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Time Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Windows

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. ValenteThe Raft by S.A. BodeenRead All About It! by Rachel WiseSway by Amber McRee TurnerThe Get Rich Quick Club by Dan Gutman
Books that should be made into movies!
26th out of 43 books — 10 voters
The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloThe Doll People by Ann M. MartinThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksThe Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban
Magical Toys
37th out of 93 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa (i swim for oceans)
I read this back in elementary school after my mum bought it for me at a book fair, and I read it so many times that the cover fell off. Did I replace the book? Negative...I taped the cover back on, and I still re-read it to this day.

Time Windows is the story of Miranda Browne, the quintessential city girl from New York who moves to the suburbs in Massachusetts. The house is old, quaint, and everything her parents could ever hope for. Miranda isn't so sure, but she finds an antique dollhouse in
Tammie
Enjoyable but predictable. I especially liked the ending. I thought the dollhouse aspect and seeing into the past through it was original. But nothing that happened in the book really surprised me. By the time everything happened I had figured it out already. It's a book that would appeal to 12-15 year olds. My only real complaint is I felt like the girl in the book was written a little too young for her age at times. I kept having to remind myself that she was a teenager and not a 10 year old. ...more
Nicole
This book was in high demand in elementary school- you had to wait on a list to check it out.
Imagine- You move into a new house. In the attic is a dollhouse replica of the one you live in, and when you look inside it, you are transported back to 1904 to see the house's creepy history play itself out.
Kiana Johnson
I began reading this in 5th grade but then the school year ended and I had to give the book back to the library. For years I had the story stuck in my head but never got to finish it because I couldn't remember the name of it! Finally in late high school when my internet searching skills had improved, I found it, lent it from a library, and loved it all over again. I did get really spooked, though. It gave me some serious nightmares. But overall, the fact that I never forgot this book means that ...more
Lona Yulianni
Miranda atau Mandy, harus pindah dari New York ke sebuah kota kecil bernama Garnet, Massachusetts. Ia menempati sebuah rumah besar yang sebenarnya cantik, namun entah kenapa sedikit menyeramkan. Apalagi setelah Mandy menemukan sebuah rumah boneka yang merupakan miniatur dari rumah barunya itu di sebuah loteng yang gelap dan pengap. Apalagi (lagi), Mandy menyadari bahwa rumah boneka itu berhantu!

Awalnya Mandy menyadari bahwa ada boneka penjahit di loteng itu, namun beberapa saat kemudian boneka i
Amanda Meuwissen
This may have been the first book I ever read twice. Looking back now, it's not monumental enough to me for a 5 as far as story, and yet it really stuck with me over the years. I remember how vividly I was able to picture what was happening, the fear associated with certain moments, especially the...secret room, to try and avoid spoilers too much. A great story for a younger reader who enjoys being scared. Though this may have further attributed to my irrational fear of dolls...
Chelsea
A young girl moves with her family into an old house, and discovers a replica of the house in the attic. When she looks through the windows of the dollhouse, she can see dark, creepy scenes from the real house's past- the lives of from three different families that lived there before her. Her own mother starts behaving very strangely, and it seems to be related to the events happening in the dollhouse windows. The girl has to solve the mystery of what happened to a little girl from the early 190 ...more
Brittini Smith
"Time Windows" by Kathryn Reiss was my favorite book when I was in elementary school. The main character Miranda is a thirteen-year-old girl who moves into a new house with her family. The old house she has moved into houses an old dollhouse which mimics the house she now lives in. Through the windows of the dollhouse, she begins to see bits and pieces of the house inhabitants of the past. These scenes play out in the dollhouse and begin to make their way into Miranda's own life. The children sh ...more
Allie
At first I didn't think I'd like this book: it was slow moving and the writing style wasn't in my taste. A few things were pretty annoying. First off, Miranda calling her mother "Mither" was on par for me with the name abomination "Renesme" from the Twilight series. Second, Miranda seems to be written too young for her age. She seemed like she'd be about 10 or 11, but around halfway through the book, it is finally mentioned that she's 13 and starting eighth grade, not fourth or fifth like she se ...more
Becky
I reread this book because I loved it when I was a kid. Because of this book, I have spent my life suspecting that there is a corpse - or at least some kind of secret - hidden somewhere in every old house (including the one I live in).

Good news - the book holds up!
Srilekha
A wonderful excellent story...very innovative and imaginative..kept me feverishly turning the pages...Love it
Erin
Bought this book as a child and NEVER forgot about it. Very good, quick read.
Latasha
i read this book when i was very young. i remember liking it.
Kasey
One of the books from childhood that I just enjoyed.
I found this on a bookshelf in my 5th grade teacher's classroom and was obsessed with it. I really want to reread again as an adult to see if it's still fascinating to me.
Lisa Weber
Jul 12, 2011 Lisa Weber is currently reading it
i've read this book before yeaaaarrrssss ago and loved it. during one of my mother's "i need to throw everything away" purges it somehow became someone else's possession. i've been looking for the book ever since. It has taken YEARS to finally find it (because i completely forgot the name of the book) and my mom finally found it for me at half priced books. (so i'll forgive her for throwing it away in the first place)soo i'm reading it again to see if i liked it as much as i did in elementary sc ...more
Megan Medley
This was my favorite book in 5th grade. I probably read it 6 times between 5th and 7th grade because I loved it so much. The concept must be appealing to kids of that age, since I have read others' reviews who all said how much they loved it when they were about 10 years old.

In short, the novel is about a girl who moves into a new home and discovers a doll house in her attic which is an exact replica of her new home. When she looks inside she sees people...and what she learns his haunting.
Becky
Probably a 2.5 star, though if I had read this when I was in middle school, it would probably have received 4 stars. This fits the middle school mystery/ghost story that was popular when I was growing up. I enjoyed it for sentimental reasons and the plot was decent. (view spoiler)

I think a 4th grader and up who enjoys a fun ghost story would enjoy this.
Elizabeth  Trudgeon Brown
This was the edition I read when I was younger. I absolutely loved this book growing up and read it multiple times. The story was so intriguing to me; a dollhouse that let you see the past of your own home. Oh the mystery...and the sweet smell of magnolias.

I lent this edition out to a friend in the fifth grade and it was never returned. I just recently purchased a first edition on eBay, and all of the visual memories I held came rushing back!
Beth Crim
I hated reading before I came across this book. The first time I read it, I was in 6th grade and it had me hooked from the first page. I have read it so many times, I can't even begin to count. I credit this book that started my love of books and reading. I highly recommend this to book to anyone who loves mysteries and/or time travel and any other Kathryn Reiss novel. I've read them all and they are all awesome, but this one remains my favorite.
Liana
As with all books that somehow involve time travel, I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending. Since she ended up changing the past, of course no one remembers it. If only authors could travel in time themselves to write these books, then they would be more accurate. For example, since she saved the life of a girl, then maybe the family wouldn't have moved in because the girl would own the house instead of her being dead so there was no heir.
Amanda
I loved this book. I was hooked from the first page. I love this author she rocks!

I had this book sitting on my shelf for about 6 months when I finally picked it up. I read the prolog and it was kinda weird and made no since, but then I stated getting more into the book and I couldn't put it down. I accually could not go to sleep the night I stated this book because I had not finished it and I wanted to know what happened.
Siobhann
Oh my god this book was scary. And it's for kids! It's about a haunted dollhouse a girl finds in the attic. If you loved Nancy Drew as a kid you'll love this. It's like Nancy to the 100th power. And it will probably give you nightmares. But I love these kinds of stories. Also, check out other books by Reiss (she's a YA author). I went through a period this summer where I read her exclusively.
Michael M.
Time Windows was exciting, interesting, and well written. But towards the end of the book, I took a big break from reading it after having a nightmare about it during a fever. Therefore the ending was kin of disconnected from the rest of the story. this has happened with some of the other books I've read. But time Windows was still over all suspenseful, intriguing, and a very good book.
Anastasia Kotkovskaya
This book is quite mind-blowing; the main character comes face to face with history replaying itself in a dollhouse. She finds the women in her house are acting the same strange way as the women in the dollhouse, and she can't fight back the worries and fears building up in her head. A thrilling book, I am looking forward to reading more books by this creative author.
Christine
This was a book I bought for the kids. The cover put me off a little because it looked like it would be juvenile. Once I got into it I was pleasantly suprised to be hooked. Enough supernatural to keep it interesting throughout. I realized it was and ALA best book for Young Adults and I agree that it would be a great read for probably 12 and up.
Jessica
One of my favorite books as a kid. Under the weather this weekend, dug it out, read it again, and remember why. I love old spaces with a history of different inhabitants and often find my mind wandering, wondering what happened years before in the very room that I am in. Intriguing idea and who doesn't love a ghost story and a mystery, eh?
Michelle
This is the second Kathryn Reiss book I have read, the first being "Dreadful Sorry" which I really loved. I enjoyed this book but towards the end it got a little bizarre for me. The ending left me wanting more. I will continue to read Kathryn's books because I think she is very imaginative and the stories are quite entertaining.
Ashley
I read this book in Elementary school and loved it so much that I just kept reading it over and over again. I have to give it 5 stars even though it might actually be crap if my adult self read it again. Perhaps I will...just to find out. It has taken me forever to find this book...I couldn't remember the name of it for anything.
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Fog Magic
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
  • Time at the Top
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
  • No Such Thing as a Witch
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • The First Horror (99 Fear Street: The House of Evil, #1)
  • Playing for Keeps
  • The Trespassers
  • Three Lives to Live
  • The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys: A Growing Up Guide for Parents and Sons
  • 13 Ghosts: Strange But True Ghost Stories
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
Kathryn Reiss was born in Massachusetts, grew up in Ohio, and received B.A. degrees in English and German from Duke University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. After college, she lived in Bonn, Germany as a Fulbright Scholar, and during this time wrote the first draft of her first novel.

Ms. Reiss has been a Writer in Residence for the Princeton Arts Council, a re
More about Kathryn Reiss...
Dreadful Sorry PaperQuake: A Puzzle Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story Blackthorn Winter Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)