Start by marking “Time Windows” as Want to Read:
Time Windows

Time Windows

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,087 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews

When Miranda moves with her family to a new house in a small Massachusetts town, she discovers a mysterious antiquea dollhouse. Through the windows, she is shocked to find what seem to be living people in the tiny rooms, and gradually she realizes that scenes from the lives of the big house’s past inhabitants are being replayed there. “With numerous deftly sketched charact

Published April 1st 1994 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Time Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Windows

Melissa (i swim for oceans)
Sep 15, 2010 Melissa (i swim for oceans) rated it really liked it
I read this back in elementary school after my mum bought it for me at a book fair, and I read it so many times that the cover fell off. Did I replace the book? Negative...I taped the cover back on, and I still re-read it to this day.

Time Windows is the story of Miranda Browne, the quintessential city girl from New York who moves to the suburbs in Massachusetts. The house is old, quaint, and everything her parents could ever hope for. Miranda isn't so sure, but she finds an antique dollhouse in
Amanda Meuwissen
Jun 09, 2014 Amanda Meuwissen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may have been the first book I ever read twice. Looking back now, it's not monumental enough to me for a 5 as far as story, and yet it really stuck with me over the years. I remember how vividly I was able to picture what was happening, the fear associated with certain moments, especially the...secret room, to try and avoid spoilers too much. A great story for a younger reader who enjoys being scared. Though this may have further attributed to my irrational fear of dolls...
Tammie
Time Windows is a middle grade book that would probably appeal to 10-14 year olds the most. I found it to be enjoyable but predictable I thought the dollhouse aspect and seeing into the past through it was interesting, but nothing that happened in the book really surprised me. By the time everything happened I had figured it out already.

My only real complaint is I felt like the girl in the book was written a little too young for her age at times. I had to keep reminding myself that she was a te
Jelyjam
May 31, 2015 Jelyjam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book after reading it when I was in 6th grade, because this story always stuck with me even tho for many years I could not remember the title. But thanks to the modern power of the internet I was able to search the plot and figure it out when I was trying to think of good books for my little bookworm daughter to read over the summer. I re-read it before I let her read it because she is a little younger than I was when I read it and I remember it being a bit scary. However, ot ...more
Twyla
May 05, 2012 Twyla rated it it was amazing
Nicole
Aug 19, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was in high demand in elementary school- you had to wait on a list to check it out.
Imagine- You move into a new house. In the attic is a dollhouse replica of the one you live in, and when you look inside it, you are transported back to 1904 to see the house's creepy history play itself out.
Silvara Wilde
Sep 21, 2015 Silvara Wilde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

This is the perfect slightly creepy book to read during October. It isn't too creepy, certainly something you can read while alone at night, but it's just creepy enough to get that little shiver every once in a while.

I loved how the dollhouse worked. And the way events Miranda saw through the windows there played out in her own family like some kind of psychic echo effect. The secret rooms in the houses were nea
Rebecca McNutt
Time Windows was a really good book, I had a copy that I bought a few years back so I decided to read it and it was certainly worth it. It was a little slow starting off, but otherwise I liked it a lot.
Myles
Miranda and her parents move from New York City to a small town in Massachusetts. Miranda is a little sad to leave behind her old life, but is excited all the same. The house is immense and improbably in good shape after 50 years of vacancy - this isn't a plot point, I just know how much damage one unheated winter can do to a house, especially one as early as the Galloway House. Resilient haunted houses are a staple of the genre however, so I shouldn't complain.

The house has a history. A clause
Megan Lillian
3.5. Still holds up pretty well, 20 plus years after my first read.
Kaitlyn Auer
Sep 28, 2016 Kaitlyn Auer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites as a kid.
Lona Yulianni
Miranda atau Mandy, harus pindah dari New York ke sebuah kota kecil bernama Garnet, Massachusetts. Ia menempati sebuah rumah besar yang sebenarnya cantik, namun entah kenapa sedikit menyeramkan. Apalagi setelah Mandy menemukan sebuah rumah boneka yang merupakan miniatur dari rumah barunya itu di sebuah loteng yang gelap dan pengap. Apalagi (lagi), Mandy menyadari bahwa rumah boneka itu berhantu!

Awalnya Mandy menyadari bahwa ada boneka penjahit di loteng itu, namun beberapa saat kemudian boneka i
Nattie
Mar 17, 2016 Nattie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this right after reading The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall, so lets just say it took me a while to fall asleep. Time Windows is much scarier than the other book, but not so scary I couldn't read it, but both books combined put a spook in me and made me think about life and death too much, and I don't need any extra help when it comes to that.

I was mesmerized by the scenes that took place in the doll house, which only Miranda could see. I can honestly say that if I had a doll house that was
Umma
Misteri Loteng Rahasia merupakan lanjutan dari kisah Mandy sebelumnya yang berjudul Misteri Wangi Bunga Magnolia.Novel ini bertemakan misteri yang cocok untuk para remaja yang suka dengan kisah - kisah misteri.Di novel ini Mandy beserta ayah dan ibunya dikisahkan baru saja pindah ke daerah yang sepi yang sebelumnya mereka tinggal di kota yang ramai.Kebetulan di rumah yang baru ditempati itu terdapat lotengnya.Ddi loteng tersebut Mandy (Miranda) biasa menghabiskan waktunya bermain dengan rumah bo ...more
Alexandra
May 07, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, ya-lit, reread
Kathryn Reiss was one of my favorite authors during my elementary and middle school years and I decided to revisit this book (the first one she wrote) after being stuck in a bit of a reading rut. As an 'adult reader' now, I definitely noticed some weak spots that Actual YA Alexandra probably wouldn't have thought too much about ((view spoiler) ...more
Brittini Smith
"Time Windows" by Kathryn Reiss was my favorite book when I was in elementary school. The main character Miranda is a thirteen-year-old girl who moves into a new house with her family. The old house she has moved into houses an old dollhouse which mimics the house she now lives in. Through the windows of the dollhouse, she begins to see bits and pieces of the house inhabitants of the past. These scenes play out in the dollhouse and begin to make their way into Miranda's own life. The children sh ...more
Allie
At first I didn't think I'd like this book: it was slow moving and the writing style wasn't in my taste. A few things were pretty annoying. First off, Miranda calling her mother "Mither" was on par for me with the name abomination "Renesme" from the Twilight series. Second, Miranda seems to be written too young for her age. She seemed like she'd be about 10 or 11, but around halfway through the book, it is finally mentioned that she's 13 and starting eighth grade, not fourth or fifth like she se ...more
Chelsea
Apr 09, 2008 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young girl moves with her family into an old house, and discovers a replica of the house in the attic. When she looks through the windows of the dollhouse, she can see dark, creepy scenes from the real house's past- the lives of from three different families that lived there before her. Her own mother starts behaving very strangely, and it seems to be related to the events happening in the dollhouse windows. The girl has to solve the mystery of what happened to a little girl from the early 190 ...more
Kiana Johnson
Aug 06, 2014 Kiana Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this in 5th grade but then the school year ended and I had to give the book back to the library. For years I had the story stuck in my head but never got to finish it because I couldn't remember the name of it! Finally in late high school when my internet searching skills had improved, I found it, lent it from a library, and loved it all over again. I did get really spooked, though. It gave me some serious nightmares. But overall, the fact that I never forgot this book means that ...more
Lisa Weber
Jul 12, 2011 Lisa Weber is currently reading it
i've read this book before yeaaaarrrssss ago and loved it. during one of my mother's "i need to throw everything away" purges it somehow became someone else's possession. i've been looking for the book ever since. It has taken YEARS to finally find it (because i completely forgot the name of the book) and my mom finally found it for me at half priced books. (so i'll forgive her for throwing it away in the first place)soo i'm reading it again to see if i liked it as much as i did in elementary sc ...more
Megan Medley
Dec 15, 2011 Megan Medley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This was my favorite book in 5th grade. I probably read it 6 times between 5th and 7th grade because I loved it so much. The concept must be appealing to kids of that age, since I have read others' reviews who all said how much they loved it when they were about 10 years old.

In short, the novel is about a girl who moves into a new home and discovers a doll house in her attic which is an exact replica of her new home. When she looks inside she sees people...and what she learns his haunting.
Becky
Aug 18, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, junior
Probably a 2.5 star, though if I had read this when I was in middle school, it would probably have received 4 stars. This fits the middle school mystery/ghost story that was popular when I was growing up. I enjoyed it for sentimental reasons and the plot was decent. (view spoiler)

I think a 4th grader and up who enjoys a fun ghost story would enjoy this.
Dwi Sartikasari
Awal-awal agak males sih baca ini. Alurnya agak lambat soalnya. Tapi, rumah boneka itu bener-bener bikin menarik perhatian. Keren banget gimana perjuangan Mandy dalam menguak misteri rumahnya sendiri. Gimana arwah yang tinggal di rumahnya dulu bisa nyampe ke ibunya sendiri. Dan gimana akhirnya, Mandy dan sedikit bantuan Daniel bisa memecahkan satu demi satu misteri tentang rumahnya, tentang masa lalunya.

Endingnya memuaskan. Meski sempet dibikin agak mikir gara-gara perubahan masa lalu:))
Beth Crim
Jul 10, 2013 Beth Crim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hated reading before I came across this book. The first time I read it, I was in 6th grade and it had me hooked from the first page. I have read it so many times, I can't even begin to count. I credit this book that started my love of books and reading. I highly recommend this to book to anyone who loves mysteries and/or time travel and any other Kathryn Reiss novel. I've read them all and they are all awesome, but this one remains my favorite.
Liana
May 30, 2010 Liana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all books that somehow involve time travel, I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending. Since she ended up changing the past, of course no one remembers it. If only authors could travel in time themselves to write these books, then they would be more accurate. For example, since she saved the life of a girl, then maybe the family wouldn't have moved in because the girl would own the house instead of her being dead so there was no heir.
Elizabeth  Trudgeon Brown
Aug 12, 2010 Elizabeth Trudgeon Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
This was the edition I read when I was younger. I absolutely loved this book growing up and read it multiple times. The story was so intriguing to me; a dollhouse that let you see the past of your own home. Oh the mystery...and the sweet smell of magnolias.

I lent this edition out to a friend in the fifth grade and it was never returned. I just recently purchased a first edition on eBay, and all of the visual memories I held came rushing back!
Amanda
I loved this book. I was hooked from the first page. I love this author she rocks!

I had this book sitting on my shelf for about 6 months when I finally picked it up. I read the prolog and it was kinda weird and made no since, but then I stated getting more into the book and I couldn't put it down. I accually could not go to sleep the night I stated this book because I had not finished it and I wanted to know what happened.
Michael Montgomery
Time Windows was exciting, interesting, and well written. But towards the end of the book, I took a big break from reading it after having a nightmare about it during a fever. Therefore the ending was kin of disconnected from the rest of the story. this has happened with some of the other books I've read. But time Windows was still over all suspenseful, intriguing, and a very good book.
American
This is a good mystery, kind of sad, and ends with a twist. I enjoyed this book and tried to find more books by the author, Kathryn Reiss, but I didn't find any in any libraries or bookstores.
Miranda moves with her parents into an older house with dark secrets connected with a dollhouse and an attic. If you like time travel or time fantasy fiction, then you will like 'Time Windows'.
Michelle
Sep 28, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Kathryn Reiss book I have read, the first being "Dreadful Sorry" which I really loved. I enjoyed this book but towards the end it got a little bizarre for me. The ending left me wanting more. I will continue to read Kathryn's books because I think she is very imaginative and the stories are quite entertaining.
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Stonewords: A Ghost Story
  • Fog Magic
  • Laura's Luck
  • Time at the Top
  • When the Dolls Woke
  • The Trouble with Magic
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • The Ghost in the Third Row (Nina Tanleven, #1)
  • The Vanishment
  • Time for Andrew: A Ghost Story
  • The Secret of Fern Island  (Shivers, #12)
  • Cassie Binegar
  • Judy's Journey
  • The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys: A Growing Up Guide for Parents and Sons
  • Prisoners in the Promised Land: The Ukrainian Internment Diary of Anya Soloniuk
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Buttermilk Hill
Kathryn Reiss was born in Massachusetts, grew up in Ohio, and received B.A. degrees in English and German from Duke University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. After college, she lived in Bonn, Germany as a Fulbright Scholar, and during this time wrote the first draft of her first novel.

Ms. Reiss has been a Writer in Residence for the Princeton Arts Council, a re
More about Kathryn Reiss...