Start by marking “The Year When Stardust Fell” as Want to Read:
The Year When Stardust Fell

The Year When Stardust Fell

A MYSTERIOUS "FALL-OUT" PARALYZES CIVILIZATION! Mayfield was the typical college town. Nothing too unusual ever happened there until a mysterious comet was suddenly observed by the scientists on College Hill. The copper-yellow glow of the comet seemed to have brought the whole world to a grinding halt. Here is science fiction at its thrilling best.
Published December 14th 2009 by CreateSpace (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Year When Stardust Fell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year When Stardust Fell

Fred Forbes
Dec 20, 2013 Fred Forbes rated it really liked it
One always tends to remember their first ... and this was my first ever science fiction novel, back when it was released in the 50's. I just happened to be wandering in the library and thought it sounded interesting. Glad I picked it up. Found it was available in the kindle version so downloaded it for old times sake.
Kris
Mar 06, 2015 Kris rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young science fiction fans, apocalyptic story fans, fans of early science fiction
Shelves: own-it
I'm not sure how I missed this book when I was growing up - it was first published in 1955, so it was certainly available to me. And I'm sure I would have loved it, as it is somewhat similar to Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank, which was one of my favorite books. Both tell of an apocalyptic event, and the aftermath thereof. However, while Alas, Babylon dealt with nuclear war, the event in this book is caused by "space dust" in a comet's tail. The effect of the dust is to fuse all metals in any type of ...more
Herman Gigglethorpe
This book beat S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire to publication by decades, and the TV show Revolution by a bit more time.

For those who haven't guessed the plot already, The Year When Stardust Fell deals with the aftermath of a technological collapse in a rural American community. No, the culprit isn't Alien Space Bats, but dust from a comet. The dust messes with the surface tension of metals, causing machines and cars to break down quickly. As supplies dwindle, cities around the world riot and the
Paul
Nov 01, 2010 Paul rated it liked it
Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic novel scare me with their what if scenarios, this scared me more than most. The novel is set in a somewhat twee 1950 US town. Unlike other settings where you could be forgiven for expanding gruesome events to occur, this setting works well to heighten the tension.

Raymond Jones has written a good no-punches-pulled plot, this is not a happily ever after novel but rather a realistic comment on how the majority of people would behave.

This novel can be downloaded le
Kamas Kirian
Comets are known as harbingers of death. This is how our civilization dies. When modern mechanical conveniences break down so does our society. In this story we follow the townsfolk of a little college town as they try to hold things together battling mechanical breakdowns, marauding nomads, disease and civil unrest amongst themselves. A well written, if slightly dated, SF story. I enjoyed most of it, even if some of the characters were rather shallow and transparent.

The Project Gutenberg eBook
Stacey
Feb 27, 2011 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library-ebook, imo
vacation read #6. Interesting old school apocalypse. A comet rains "dust" on earth and disrupts the operation of all machinery. Death and disaster ensue. MC is a high school boy who is a bit of a Mary Sue (or Marty Stu, if you prefer,) who seems to always be the one with the innovative idea, in the right place at the right time, or rallying the troops when it appears all hope is lost.

Still, an interesting early entry in "end of the world as we know it" type sci-fi.
Erik Graff
Jun 11, 2011 Erik Graff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jones fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I knew of Raymond F. Jones from the movie, if not the book, entitled "This Island Earth." I found this old edition of The Year When Stardust Fell, in a used book store and read it, despite its being a "young adult" novel, because it promised to be an end of civilization story--a favorite subgenre of science fiction.
Liz Kaufman
Liz Kaufman rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Russell Plante
Russell Plante rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Portobellord
Portobellord rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2011
Michael Comer
Michael Comer rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Katherine Alton
Katherine Alton rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2013
Gregory M.
Gregory M. rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Eugene Buchanan
Eugene Buchanan rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Craig Russo
Craig Russo rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
George Roden
George Roden rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Harry Campbell
Harry Campbell rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Todd
Todd rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2016
Bob Hardy
Bob Hardy rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Margarite Schurr
Margarite Schurr rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Kristian
Kristian rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Al
Al rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2014
Carolyn Szoke
Carolyn Szoke rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Mary Baker
Mary Baker rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Jo Novotny
Jo Novotny rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Peggy Vladyka
Peggy Vladyka rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Raymond Fisher Jones (November 15, 1915, Salt Lake City, Utah - January 24, 1994, Sandy, Salt Lake County, Utah) was an American science fiction author. He is best known for his 1952 novel, This Island Earth, which was adapted into the 1955 film This Island Earth and for the short story "The Children's Room", which was adapted for television as Episode Two of the ABC network show Tales of ...more
More about Raymond F. Jones...