Start by marking “The Dark Garden” as Want to Read:
The Dark Garden

The Dark Garden

In this Gothic novel by award-winner Margaret Buffie, 16-year-old Thea is suffering from traumatic amnesia. As she returns home and begins to rediscover who she is, the empty places of her mind fill up with shadowy memories. When she begins to hear voices from the past, she must find out what these ghosts want with her. By facing the ghosts, Thea comes to terms with her li ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Kids Can Press (first published June 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Garden

Kaitlin
This is one book I've come back to over and over after I bought it on a whim at a book fair.

The story isn't especially original, by any means, but it's one of the first books I ever read with the kind of loyalty displayed, and with a compelling amnesia story tied into the action of the book.

I've yet to find anyone else who's read this book, but I think I'd prefer that to finding someone who read it and wants to gut this book that I still re-read with true nostalgia.
Angie Lisle
Apr 22, 2011 Angie Lisle rated it really liked it
I am working my way through a young adult supernatural/paranormal reading list. Prior to picking up this book, I was suffering through a very popular series that I won't mention by name. Suffice it to say that, while the series was imaginative, I found myself wondering what was so great about these books. The writing was stiff and felt forced in places, which, of course, made the storyline feel stiff and forced. I decided to take a break from the series - in part, because I was tired of struggli ...more
Catherine Milos
Dec 28, 2016 Catherine Milos rated it it was amazing
This ghostly story captivated my young mind when I was only 9. It has held a special place in my heart since. The Dark Garden's Gothic tones with allusions to a modern Romeo-Juliet story and paranormal overtures are beautifully sad. It's one of the few books I can keep re-reading and never grow bored or distant from the emotion Buffie writes. It's a great read for young and old, especially those who love ghost stories.
Sam (Spines in a Line)
Aug 12, 2013 Sam (Spines in a Line) rated it it was amazing
Probably my favourite book ever! This is keeping in the theme of some of Margaret Buffie's other novels with ghosts. A little creepy, but I found it much better than My Mother's Ghost because that scared me and gave me nightmares.
The protagonist has had an accident with her bike and awakens in the hospital. She's suffering from amnesia supposedly, and so she doesn't recognize the people taking her 'home'. She starts having visions of who she really is, but these visions are really projections o
Joshua Blanc
Mar 01, 2011 Joshua Blanc rated it it was amazing
The title and premise intrigued me so I took a chance on this one. I found it incredibly hard to put down and read it in four installments. It reminded me of The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones which I also recommend.

A good ghost story, a good mystery, and some interesting and memorable characters.

Katrina Sutton
Jul 25, 2011 Katrina Sutton rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? For starters, it was such a delightful, haunting and enchanting book, yet again by Margaret Buffie.
Rachel
May 26, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
I don't know how this book got on my childhood bookshelf, but I devoured it. I think the most appealing thing was the relationships that the amnesia-stricken protagonist had with her family- a controlling mother, distrusting sisters, and the hazy memory of her own past. Through the subplot of the ghost story, Thea can reclaim part of herself and decide, futurewise, what sort of person she wants to be. Touching if somewhat sad story.
Andie
I remember really enjoying this book. It's not creepy or gory or anything like it. There is a little mystery to it, and some things begin a little strange, but it all sorts itself out. Definitely not a book that will give you nightmares or anything like it.
Courtney
Mar 10, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Who was Susannah Lever, and why is she haunting Thea? That's what Thea wants to know. But ever since the accident, The can't even remember who she is, let alone a long dead ghost. But unless Thea finds out what happened in the past, Susannah isn't going to leave her alone.
Michael Crespo
Jan 13, 2014 Michael Crespo rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I remember reading part of it in elementary school, and found it again not too long ago. I finally finished reading it, and I'm really satisfied with the story of the book.
Annabelle
Sep 25, 2015 Annabelle rated it liked it
omg I must have read this book over 15 years ago...
I'd completely forgotten about it until I came across the cover on a Goodreads list. I have a vague recollection of the premise but not the details.
It would be great to find it somewhere and read it again after all these years.
Soobie's heartbroken
A dodici anni, Soobie scriveva:
Bel libro. Theo è una ragazza che ha perso la memoria in seguito ad un incidente. Da lì inizia a vedere delle persone d'altri tempi. Lucas, un suo amico, ha lo stesso potere ed insieme a Theo dovrà far luce su un omicidio del 1930.
Eccentrika
Feb 19, 2014 Eccentrika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal, mystery
Una storia originale, piena di segreti e misteri irrisolti dove il mondo dei morti si fonde col mondo dei vivi. Non mancano i colpi di scena e a chi ama il genere paranormale piacerà di sicuro. L'epilogo però è sottotono e rispetto al resto del libro, peccato.
Brittany
May 03, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it
It's been awhile since I read this but I remember really enjoying it.
V. Garcia
Feb 26, 2009 V. Garcia rated it it was amazing
This book is amazingly awesome. It made me appreciate my family more. I felt very bad for Thea and how horrible her parents treated her and her siblings.
Alfie
Dec 28, 2013 Alfie rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it as a teen and I enjoyed it as "not" a teen. LOL. It's a beautiful novel with fantastic ghosts and adventures. It is a "have to absolutely read".
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Oct 24, 2010 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
This is a pretty good teen ghost mystery. It was published about 15 years ago. I really enjoyed it. I liked trying to figure out what was going on with Thea and who ever was haunting her.
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Lildemonyo
Lildemonyo rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Haley Hartley
Haley Hartley rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2011
S. H.
S. H. rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Adel
Adel rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2011
Kristen Tarzwell
Kristen Tarzwell rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Kristy
Kristy rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Maeghan
Maeghan rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2012
Macy
Macy rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
  • Watching the Roses (Egerton Hall, #2)
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • The Singing Stone
  • Pegasi and Prefects (Scholars and Sorcery, #1)
  • The Jellyfish Season
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • Kieli, Vol. 2
  • The Tricksters
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • Initiation (Circle of Three, #15)
  • The China Garden
  • A Handful of Time
Award winning author, Margaret Buffie, was born and grew up in the west end of Winnipeg, attended various schools - graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Manitoba. An artist for many years, Margaret decided to write a YA novel and Who Is Frances Rain? was published by Kids Can Press. It quickly became a bestseller after appearing in bookstores in 1987. Since then Margaret ...more
More about Margaret Buffie...