Start by marking “The Dark Garden” as Want to Read:
The Dark Garden

The Dark Garden

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This riveting young adult Gothic novel by award-winner Margaret Buffie explores themes of trauma and identity.
Published September 1st 1996 by Kids Can Press (first published June 30th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Garden

Kaitlin
This is one book I've come back to over and over after I bought it on a whim at a book fair.

The story isn't especially original, by any means, but it's one of the first books I ever read with the kind of loyalty displayed, and with a compelling amnesia story tied into the action of the book.

I've yet to find anyone else who's read this book, but I think I'd prefer that to finding someone who read it and wants to gut this book that I still re-read with true nostalgia.
Angie Lisle
I am working my way through a young adult supernatural/paranormal reading list. Prior to picking up this book, I was suffering through a very popular series that I won't mention by name. Suffice it to say that, while the series was imaginative, I found myself wondering what was so great about these books. The writing was stiff and felt forced in places, which, of course, made the storyline feel stiff and forced. I decided to take a break from the series - in part, because I was tired of struggli ...more
Sam
Probably my favourite book ever! This is keeping in the theme of some of Margaret Buffie's other novels with ghosts. A little creepy, but I found it much better than My Mother's Ghost because that scared me and gave me nightmares.
The protagonist has had an accident with her bike and awakens in the hospital. She's suffering from amnesia supposedly, and so she doesn't recognize the people taking her 'home'. She starts having visions of who she really is, but these visions are really projections o
Joshua Blanc
The title and premise intrigued me so I took a chance on this one. I found it incredibly hard to put down and read it in four installments. It reminded me of The Time of the Ghost by Diana Wynne Jones which I also recommend.

A good ghost story, a good mystery, and some interesting and memorable characters.

Katrina Sutton
What can I say about this book? For starters, it was such a delightful, haunting and enchanting book, yet again by Margaret Buffie.
Eccentrika
Una storia originale, piena di segreti e misteri irrisolti dove il mondo dei morti si fonde col mondo dei vivi. Non mancano i colpi di scena e a chi ama il genere paranormale piacerà di sicuro. L'epilogo però è sottotono e rispetto al resto del libro, peccato.
Rachel
I don't know how this book got on my childhood bookshelf, but I devoured it. I think the most appealing thing was the relationships that the amnesia-stricken protagonist had with her family- a controlling mother, distrusting sisters, and the hazy memory of her own past. Through the subplot of the ghost story, Thea can reclaim part of herself and decide, futurewise, what sort of person she wants to be. Touching if somewhat sad story.
Courtney
Who was Susannah Lever, and why is she haunting Thea? That's what Thea wants to know. But ever since the accident, The can't even remember who she is, let alone a long dead ghost. But unless Thea finds out what happened in the past, Susannah isn't going to leave her alone.
Alfie
I enjoyed it as a teen and I enjoyed it as "not" a teen. LOL. It's a beautiful novel with fantastic ghosts and adventures. It is a "have to absolutely read".
Andie
I remember really enjoying this book. It's not creepy or gory or anything like it. There is a little mystery to it, and some things begin a little strange, but it all sorts itself out. Definitely not a book that will give you nightmares or anything like it.
Michael Crespo
I really enjoyed this book. I remember reading part of it in elementary school, and found it again not too long ago. I finally finished reading it, and I'm really satisfied with the story of the book.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
This is a pretty good teen ghost mystery. It was published about 15 years ago. I really enjoyed it. I liked trying to figure out what was going on with Thea and who ever was haunting her.
V. Garcia
This book is amazingly awesome. It made me appreciate my family more. I felt very bad for Thea and how horrible her parents treated her and her siblings.
Brittany
It's been awhile since I read this but I remember really enjoying it.
A good and proper modern Gothic novel.
Paige [is in love wiff michael]
Sep 07, 2007 Paige [is in love wiff michael] rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone.
is she crazy.?

Paola
Paola added it
Jun 01, 2015
mackenzie bean
mackenzie bean marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Aldene
Aldene marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Shadow in Hawthorn Bay
  • Watching the Roses (Egerton Hall, #2)
  • The Singing Stone
  • This New & Poisonous Air
  • The Girl in the Box
  • The Jellyfish Season
  • Knight's Wyrd
  • Lucie Babbidge's House
  • Ghost Stories
  • Song of the Magdalene
  • My Deadly Valentine (Nancy Drew: Files, #92)
  • Haint Misbehavin'
  • Open House for Butterflies
  • The Tricksters
  • Bad Seeds: Evil Progeny
  • Making the Saint (Circle of Three, #10)
  • Greater Than Angels
  • The Woman in the Wall
Award winning author, Margaret Buffie, was born and grew up in the west end of Winnipeg, attended various schools - graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Manitoba. An artist for many years, Margaret began writing in 1985. A year later, after finishing her first manuscript, Kids Can Press accepted Who is Frances Rain for publication. It quickly became a bestseller after app ...more
More about Margaret Buffie...
The Watcher (The Watcher's Quest, #1) Who Is Frances Rain? The Seeker (The Watcher's Quest, #2) The Finder (The Watcher's Quest, #3) Out of Focus