Start by marking “A History of Pagan Europe” as Want to Read:
A History of Pagan Europe

A History of Pagan Europe

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This text provides a wide-ranging overview of a fascinating aspect of Europe's history - a must for anyone interested in the history of ideas and religious systems.
Paperback
Published January 1st 2001 by Routledge (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A History of Pagan Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Pagan Europe

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourc... by Scott CunninghamLiber Aelph by The Silver ElvesMoon Magick by D.J. ConwayThe Witches of Eileanan by Kate ForsythWhat an Elf Would Do by The Silver Elves
Pagan books
11th out of 34 books — 25 voters
The Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonA History of Pagan Europe by Prudence J. JonesDeep Ancestors by Ceisiwr SerithCeltic Mythology by Proinsias Mac CanaThe Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis
ADF Dedicant Program Reading List
2nd out of 49 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Keliher
I'm always a little leery of historians with an obvious axe to grind, and the authors of this book - better known for a series of New Age and Wiccan publications - definitely qualify. I think they overcompensated for their bias by being as dry and academic as humanly possible, thus rendering their legitimately interesting subject matter into a painful and tedious slog. If you can get past these two rather large hurdles, you will find a wealth of rewarding historical detail here, and a surprising ...more
Adrian Colesberry
An interesting review book. Paganism pre-Constantine was just called religion of course and this examination of what we know is very useful to anyone interested in a non-sentimental view of those beliefs. It takes serious scholarship to come up with answers simply because most of what we know comes from hostile sources, Christian texts assaulting the "pagans."
Rhyd Wildermuth
The question of paganism in europe doesn't present itself immediately as a matter of scandal, though the relative absence of histories on the subject does at least hint at the controversy of the topic. Usually relegated to Folkloric studies (with their classifications and archetypes) the issue of paganism is miserably under-treated.

Contention exists over the very definition of pagan--the general "western-academic" consensus is that it is a useless or over-used word, stolen by new-age neopagans
Jack
Nov 29, 2008 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History Buffs
This was a difficult read, but it was also extremely informative. I've had to read it three times to glean the information that I wanted from it, which is why it's taken me so long to post this review.

As the casual observer can tell, I am fascinated with those portions of history that are either sugar-coated, glossed over or ignored in mainstream education - unless you choose to become a history major.

This book, along with Ramon Jiminez's "Caesar & The Celts" fills in a few gaps in a Doctor
Steve Cran
Nigel Pennick and Prudence Jones have done exhaustive research and reading to bring the readership this volume. A survey of Pagan religion ideas starting off first with the Greeks and the Cretan then going into Roman Paganism and then giving full survey of Celtic and Norse Paganism, finally ending up with Baltic and Slavic Paganism.

The idea of the Goddess and her consort come to life in the discussion of Minoan Crete. THE Minoans were an agrarian people who were very peaceful and lived in unwall
Jaime
Not a New Age book but a chronicle of Pagan peoples and influence in Western history.
Sverre
A book of history can be reviewed from at least two main perspectives: 1. Does it present factual information without author bias, and 2. Does the text have a readable, comprehensible and logical format (i.e. is it accessible). As for the first, I think the authors have put in a lot of effort to provide the reader with well-known as well as obscure facts sifted from five thousand years of historical and archaeological research. It is unfortunate that also much of its contents relies on hearsay, ...more
Hugo Filipe
The social and historical contexts represent a bigger part of this book, than the actual paganism bit. In fact, the gods and rituals are described in manner to dry to be address as religion, there is definitely missing some romantism on this book.

It looks more like an index of cults and adoration than an actual book, which is a shame. Nevertheless, books on this subject are somewhat rare, so it's still a worthwile read.
Bunnyjadwiga
This is a mostly-solid if somewhat biased introduction to the trends of pre-christian europe as far as they are known. A good starter for those interested in history as opposed to neopagan mythology.
Fredrick Danysh
Paganism dates back more than 3,000 years in Europe. The author examines its history and practices covering all the regions from Britain to Germany on to Greece and the Romans.
Michael
I enjoyed this book so much. I learned how much influence paganism has had on our culture. I was impressed with the history of this book from Rome, Russia, England, etc. Many ancient pagan customs have entered into my life at various times without my knowledge. An example or two would be tossing a coin in a fountain, bringing in evergreen at Christmas to picking up my bride and carrying her over the threshold on our wedding night.
Hepzibod
This text traces the general history of European pagan religions and focuses on how and why these religions were eradicated over hundred of the years through the deliberate efforts of the Church. A well-presented and well-written historical text.
Naomi
I read this for the 'Indo-European' section of the ADF Dedicant Path course, and I really wish I'd picked another book. This is an OK book, but it's poorly referenced, and it regularly pronounces that fictions (based on neopagan urban myths) are true. I'm surprised it's on the ADF syllabus - it's not a scholarly work, at all. When I've written my full review I'll link to it here.
stori .
extreme density of partial information makes this book only suitable as a starting point. i think the most useful part of it is probably the bibliography.
A complex and comprehensive look at European paganism, however it is a bit dry in parts.
Moon Stumpp
I read it...enjoyed it...I'm cleaning up my shelves.
Tracy
a little on the wordy side.
jack
read this a while ago. good!
Thomas
Wonderful read
Luna
Jan 20, 2010 Luna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pagan
Very informative.
Elvis
Elvis marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Alena
Alena marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ruth Wright behm
Ruth Wright behm marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Blake Schade
Blake Schade marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Dacilen
Dacilen marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Amusedcat
Amusedcat marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Patricia Seagrove
Patricia Seagrove marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • Celtic Heritage
  • Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions
  • Book of Pagan Prayer
  • The Ancient Celts
  • The Myth of Matriarchal Prehistory: Why an Invented Past Will Not Give Women a Future
  • Ecstasies: Deciphering the Witches' Sabbath
  • The Druids
  • Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism
  • God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • Aradia: Gospel of the Witches
Cleopatra Voices from the Circle: The Heritage of Western Paganism Creative Astrology: Experiential Understanding of the Horoscope Reading Rivers in Roman Literature and Culture