You Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery

You Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery (You Can't Take a Balloon...)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The little girl knows she can't bring her balloon into the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., so she asks a photographer to hold it outside. But when the balloon flies away, a collision of art, history, and urban life unfolds. Full-color illustrations.
Published May 27th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published May 27th 2000)

Linnea in Monet's Garden by Christina BjörkYou Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanYou Can't Take a Balloon into the National Gallery by Jacqueline Preiss WeitzmanThe Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau by Michelle MarkelMatisse the King of Color by Laurence Anholt
Picture Books About Museums
2nd out of 45 books — 7 voters
The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
61st out of 118 books — 201 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Sep 16, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who know Washington, D.C., those who are interested in American history & art
These “You Can’t Take a Balloon…” books would be great gifts for grandparents to give to grandkids, as I realized with this second published book. The first book is a grandmother taking her granddaughter to The Metropolitan Museum in NYC, this second book is the grandmother taking that same granddaughter and her younger brother to the National Gallery museum in Washington, D.C. (I have the third book in hand and it looks as though both grandmother and grandfather are taking both grandchildren to...more
Jen
This is a beautifully illustrated book, enjoyed by both my kids (5 and 2). I like that this book sparks the imagination along with showing the sights and sounds of DC. Since my kids regularly see many of the places featured in the illustrations, it makes this book that much more enjoyable.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a gem of a book. I discovered it through the Children's Books group here on Goodreads. And although they picked You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum as one of January's picks, I just had to "read" this one first since we live near Washington DC.

It's a fascinating wordless tale, and one that has so many hidden pictures and things going on that you could spend at least an hour on this book. I love the synchronicity between the scenery we see inside the museum with what's...more
Randie
A young girl visiting Washington D.C. has a brilliant orange balloon. She cannot take this balloon into the national Gallery of Art, so a photographer agrees to watch it for her. As the young girl explores the gallery with her family, the balloon soars through the city with the photographer chasing after it. The illustrations are lively with portions in black and white and other portions popping with color.

Anyone who has ever accidentally let go of their balloon will certainly find this book rat...more
Kaethe
Cute and textless, something a pre-reader can really enjoy by herself.
Sam Bloom
This is one of those times where I ordered a book but, once it arrived, couldn't remember WHY I ordered it. Despite this, I enjoyed the book; a classic chase book (my fave of this little sub-genre being the Great Gracie Chase) where a little girl's balloon goes flying, with the chasers including a cardboard cutout of George Washington, a TV crew, a visiting diplomat, and a family of crunchy-granola eco-hippies. The artist drew historical figures into pretty much one panel per page.
Sara Perry
Just like my last review, this picture book is about a silly balloon traveling around the city. This time, the balloon is traveling around Washington D.C. I love learning about history and I loved seeing the illustrations that dealt with all of this history. This book especially shows children all of the landmarks that have to do with American history and many key principles of our nation. It is a fun and quirky book about our capital and I recommend it for children to read.
Karyn The Pirate
Wonderful wordless picture book. As you follow a wayward balloon through Washington D.C. the scenes the balloon encounters are mirrored by artwork in the Gallery. You can also try to locate the 32 Americans who have made contributions in history throughout the scenes. This book gives kids enjoyment (and education) on multiple levels.
Paula

While a brother and sister, along with their grandmother, visit the National Gallery of Art, the balloon they were not allowed to bring into the museum floats around Washington, D.C., causing a series of mishaps at various tourist sites. Images of thirty-two famous Americans appear among the illustrations.
Heather
This was not as fun as the other "You Can't Take a Ballon" book, but the girls liked it. It does provide a great segue to landmarks of Washington, D.C., and of course exposes more art.
Hajnal
This book is a GREAT resource for non-readers and early readers. Very intricate "Where's Waldo" type illustrations that incorporate art and history and Washington D.C.
Phoebe
A very cute, fun, imaginative book for young readers; expressive through the illustrations, and enjoyable to know. Save the ducks and save this story.
Andrea
Wordless, imaginative, interesting correlation with balloon's adventure and child's experience in museum, suitable for young and old alike, Nations Capital.
Andréa
Beautifully illustrated tour of DC and a fun introduction to the art at the National Gallery.
Artlab
A collision of art, history, and urban life that becomes increasingly comical and exciting.
Cc
Cc marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Alsjem
Alsjem marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum You Can't Take a Balloon into the Museum of Fine Arts Superhero Joe Superhero Joe and the Creature Next Door Journey Across the Life Span: Human Development and Health Promotion