Start by marking “Introduction to the Philosophy of History” as Want to Read:
Introduction to the Philosophy of History

Introduction to the Philosophy of History

First set forth in lectures given at the University of Berlin in the 1820s, Hegel's "Introduction to the Philosophy of History" fully explores his ideas on many of the major and minor philosophers who preceded him on the subject of world history. Essentially, Hegel wished to demonstrate that history follows reason, and hence the direction and meaning of history could possi ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Digireads.com (first published 1837)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to the Philosophy of History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to the Philosophy of History

N. Goldman
This work is a pseudophilosophical theological enterprise. The aim of pure old philosophy is to dispel, not to entangle in circuitous neologisms and dogmatic assertions. Theodicy is the business of the church. Hegel employs bad writing and labyrinthine grammar to sometimes say interesting things which are always contingent to a "universal realization" of his unsound systematizing.
Jessica Injejikian
So glad I didn't have to try to work my way through the entirety of this! Germans tend to be super dense and convoluted from this time...translations don't help. Hegel's dialectical understanding of history, emphasizing the world-history figure, divinity, and the political, was extremely influential...impacting Marx (a student of Hegel who obviously materialized his philosophy, attributing economics as the ultimate historical mechanism) and even intellectuals involved in the French College of So ...more
Jeremiah
What's there left to say about the most infamous supposed charlatan philosophical system? Apparently something. Although public lectures meant for general consumption, Hegel's introduction to his Philosophy of History suggests ideas later elucidated by people such as Heidegger, Marx, Sartre, Derrida, etc.

Beginning by distinguishing previous types of history from the primordial philosophic history, Hegel argues that the latter is the paramount history as it is an account of his concept of 'Spirit
David
Nov 22, 2013 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The best thing I have to say about this work is that the Libravox audio version is a very relaxing read. This was my bedtime story for several months, because the narration mixed with the simultaneously dry and obscure subject matter never failed to put me to sleep within 30 minutes (which is fast for me, as I am somewhat of an insomniac).

If you are hoping to gain a better grasp of Hegel's conceptions of dialectic, idealism, freedom, history, etc.. Well, the answers are in here. Somewhere. Sort
Christine Cordula Dantas

Este foi o meu primeiro contato com Hegel, escrito por ele mesmo, e a reputação de sua escrita ser difícil se confirmou para mim. Este texto seria teoricamente mais fácil, uma vez que se refere à introduções ao seu curso de história da filosofia. De fato, alguns trechos o são, e pode-se aprender algo de sua visão filosófica. Particularmente, não consigo aceitar bem seu conceito de "Espírito" da razão atuando ao longo da história. Para entender isso melhor, parece-me fundamental recorrer às suas
John Rivera
Jan 31, 2011 John Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, politics
An essential reading for a reader of Hegel, especially if one wishes to understand his Philosophy of the Right. Hegel can unfortunately be bit thick and heavy of philosophical definitions and has a rather obtuse view of China and India, but if one does not place too much weight on his view of "the East" and studies the terms as they arise in this work, then there is quite a bit here that is extremely useful.

This is compilation of lectures which can been placed into text format by former students
Don
Oct 18, 2011 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time really reading Hegel. I had tried the intro and preface to the Phenomenology, but I didn't get it. This time, I think I get it. The only part in this collection that I disliked was a brief thing about geography. Feel free to skip it.

Reading Marx's Grundrisse I've been struck by how Hegelian it is, and I'm excited to read The Philosophy of Right next year alongside Marx's Critique.

Wouldn't it be amazing to somehow be a Hegelian without Marx or Kojeve or Derrida or anybody? T
M.F. Moonzajer
Nov 15, 2013 M.F. Moonzajer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hegel has a quite different and unique approach to philosophy of right. Unlike a mason who sees the angle, and a carpenter who sees the balance, Hegel sees things from many perspectives and defines them in a form acceptable and arguable for everyone. His book introduction to philosophy of history ... rights is everything one needs to know to walk into the discourses of rights, history, fallacy and logic.
Tom
Aug 10, 2012 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some interesting debates that Hegel brings up here, readable in parts and more difficult in others, obviously the lynch pin for the idea of the development of the state is his idea of the dialectal change that occurs when, according to Hegel it develops from the primitive to the modern.

There is also some interesting debate around North and South America and some quite well founded predictions that he makes about America as a future world power.
Jordan
Jul 13, 2008 Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hegel really blows my mind, which I think is what he intended to do, and even if the system is really a bunch of bull shit, he's an incredible, incredible genius.

I once asked a philosopher professor a question about this Introduction to which she stuttered for several moments and had no real answer; every head in the classroom turned and looked at me, and I think it might be the proudest moment in my institutional education's history.
g
Mar 03, 2008 g rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spring-2008
this is a very strange translation - almost vulgar and in your face, and at the same time, full of mistakes. one striking example was the use of the word morality instead of ethics. if you're interested in reading the book, find a copy of the dover edition. the dover translation is older but more elegant.

Rosie
Oct 21, 2009 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-at-lse
There is something that is the best thing to start with if you are going to start trying to read Hegel. This is it. Repeat: do NOT start trying to read Philosophy of Right, even if you have lots of secondary literature working on your side. . . well, for me at least, that didn't end well. but this, this is great.
Meru
Feb 19, 2009 Meru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hegel says, everyone else doesn't know what they're talking about! The world is reasonable, and there is a World Spirit guiding everything, so it doesn't really matter what individuals or countries do. It'll all work out in the end. Surprisingly well written for Hegel, to the point that I actually enjoyed reading it.
Shane Wagoner
Jun 12, 2014 Shane Wagoner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I would have greatly appreciated a more in-depth analysis of what it means to be a "hero" as well as some deeper argumentation for the assertion that World History is progressing towards the so-called "World Spirit" (I may have misunderstood him on that part though), this book is a fantastic intro to Hegel's thoughts.
Rojo
Feb 20, 2013 Rojo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hegel makes my head hurt.

At some points I think I actually understood it, and I think I had a philosophical breakthrough and really did understand it one night/morning, but I'm not entirely sure.

It was interesting, though, I will say that even if I didn't fully understand everything.
Tyler
It's the least complicated of Hegel's works and gives a decent introduction to his ideas in regard to his philosophy of history. However, in some cases he simply doesn't explain the concepts he's talking about, referring readers to other works of his or just philosophy in general.
nanto
Jan 17, 2009 nanto marked it as wishlist-‎a-k-a-buku-buruan  ·  review of another edition
Tadi mau beli terjemahannya. Tapi melihat ketebalannya dan waktu belakangan ini, pasti hanya akan bikin hegel kepala saya saja.

Nanti deh dibeli dan dibaca!
J.M. Hushour
Two stars for the effort, Georg!
Korri
I discovered some delightful marginalia from my undergraduate days on page 19: 'Hegel, you are so full of shit'. My thoughts on his teleological notions about history remain the same to this day.
Alex
Aug 27, 2013 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Most part is hardly understandable; the understandable part is hardly interesting; the interesting part is hardly convincing.
Joel West
Reductive and inflated simultaneously; no wonder Marx used him as his point of departure when developing his own philosophies and critiques of culture and economy.
Caroline
Feb 11, 2009 Caroline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Metaphysics is hard. I sparknoted it. Close enough, right?
Kendall Morgan Hall
I read this books as part of the University of King's College (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) Foundation Year Program (FYP) and absolutely loved it.
Michael
Sep 12, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Hegel's prose is often horribly unclear to the point of incoherency, he is very repetitive and his central argument is circular, eurocentric and idiotic.
Chad Felix
Sep 28, 2011 Chad Felix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
the four stars are for me, not hegel.
KATEtheGREATESTBESTONE
dialectic. not my favorite.
Ahmad Dbouk
Dec 25, 2012 Ahmad Dbouk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
More accessible than most of Hegel's other works, however still a little dense. It has a lot of the main elements in Hegelian philosophy. Good place to start with this author.
David Markwell
Hegel mhh!
Jimbo
I will rest my head after this....
  • Solomon Among the Postmoderns
  • Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals/On a Supposed Right to Lie Because of Philanthropic Concerns
  • The Basic Political Writings
  • The Question Concerning Technology and Other Essays
  • Fabre's Book of Insects
  • Political Theology: Four Chapters on the Concept of Sovereignty
  • The Deluded Atheist: A Response To Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion
German philosopher and one of the founding figures of German Idealism. Influenced by Kant's transcendental idealism and Rousseau's politics, Hegel formulated an elaborate system of historical development of ethics, government, and religion through the dialectical unfolding of the Absolute. Hegel was one of the most well-known historicist philosopher, and his thought presaged continental philosophy ...more
More about Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel...