Start by marking “Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones” as Want to Read:
Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones

Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  9,233 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
Storytellers know -- just as they have for hundreds and hundreds of years -- that everyone enjoys a good, scary story!Alvin Schwartz's "Scary Stories 3" joins his other popular collections of scary folklore, "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark" and "More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark," to give readers spooky, funny and fantastic tales guaranteed to raise goose bumps.

Who
Published September 1st 1991 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stories 3, please sign up.

Raven It depends on your age Abigail and how much you like to be creeped out or scared. If you are younger and do not like horror very much you will likely…moreIt depends on your age Abigail and how much you like to be creeped out or scared. If you are younger and do not like horror very much you will likely be scared by some of the stories. If you are older and love horror, these stories are creepy and funny. (less)
Raven There are three. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark #1, #2 and #3.

Anna  Gibson
The "Scary Stories" trio was one of the more infamous books at my elementary school's library - everyone wanted to read them, and for good reason - they're fun, spooky, and the illustrations are both beautiful and downright terrifying! The stories are a collection of folktales, ghost stories, and campfire stories, meant to be read aloud with a group of friends. However, they're perfectly scary even if you're just reading them to yourself on a rainy afternoon. The stories within these three books ...more
Ronyell
Oct 18, 2016 Ronyell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Scary Stories series!
Scary

YES! YES! YES!

Finally, I got the chance to read the final set of stories from Alvin Schwartz and Stephen Gammell’s controversial yet popular series, “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” called “Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones!” In celebration of Halloween, I have decided to revisit this little gem of a series again and I was seriously not disappointed!

This book mostly has a set of scary stories that will haunt you in your sleep, so here are a couple of stories out of th
Kristi
Feb 05, 2009 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most memorable series of books from my childhood. The stories in the books aren't particularly scary; some are humorous, some are eerie, some will give a kid chills...some are not even original to Mr. Schwartz, and are the sort of urban-legend stories you hear around the campfire growing up.

No, what makes these spectacular books stand out as fine examples of kindertrauma is Stephen Gammell's most excellent illustrations.

Some of them still give me heart palpitations, even as an adult.

I
Ericka annamarie
after two other books i had feared the third would be missing something but it truly does is not. it's just as enchanting and scary as the first two and i can see myself rereading this series for years to come.
Sarah Anne
Not as good as the first two.
Dolly
This is a collection of strange, scary, shocking, gross and funny stories for older children. The tales presented are an interesting mix of old and new and our girls loved them. I was less enthused about the collection, although a good storyteller could have a lot of fun with these stories.

The illustrations were scarier than the tales, in my opinion, but overall it was an interesting compilation. We've also read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.
PurplyCookie
A poltergeist that specializes in unscrewing bottle-caps...a couple who bring home a strange-looking little dog from Mexico, only to be told that it's a sewer rat...suddenly vanishing friends, relatives, and animals...a Texas girl raised by wolves- -yes, it's a new collection of horribilia: chillers, ghost stories, and urban legends, retold in an appropriately matter-of- fact way.

Schwartz gives most of the tales a modern setting, provides hints for storytellers, discusses variants, and--as in tw
Reader Dude (Mel)
Although I am a huge fan of Gammell's work, I feel like the stories in here could have been written a little better. Some are only a paragraph long, which in my mind is not enough to tell a story fully and completely. I must say I enjoyed both the writing and the artwork in the first book much more.
Samantha Pedroza
Aug 18, 2015 Samantha Pedroza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
This will never not be one of my favorite series! I may not be as spooked like I was as a child but they are classic! Also the mention of my hometown is pretty cool too! I love the old illustrations but Brett Heloquist is one of my favorite illustrators ever and I can't complain if he did the new art!
Dan
May 29, 2017 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a 31 year old man and I read some of these stories before bed and they creeped me the fuck out.

The illustrations are truly terrifying. Well done, Stephen Gammell. Well done.
Juan Rodriguez
Mar 03, 2017 Juan Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about scary stories that will chill your bones. There is over 20 scary stories. My faviorite story is foot steps it's about2 girls and they think there mom is out and soon they hear footsteps and they think it's there mom but soon they knew it was not there mother so the girl starts yelling at the 'man' telling him to get out. I recommend this book to people that like scary books
K.C.
Jul 16, 2012 K.C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Schwartz, Alvin. (1991). Scary stories 3: More tales to chill your bones. New York: Harper Collins.

Categories: Controversial books, supernatural stories, folklore and legends, short stories, series

26 traditional and modern-day scary stories are presented in this book. The gruesome topics - death, ghosts, eating body parts from a dead person, dying from fear, nightmares - have made this book and the others in the series targets for frequent challenges. In the back of the book are notes about the
Tiffany Apan
Those of us born in the 1980s I think had it pretty good. We got all the good Nickelodeon shows (You Can't Do That On Television, Are You Afraid of the Dark, All That, Roundhouse, all the cool Euro-anime-esque cartoon shows like Spartakus), Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, books like Wait Til Helen Comes and Dollhouse Murders. All those were awesome and at the risk of sounding uber condescending, I feel for the kids who grew up without all that we 80s and 90s kids got. But what real ...more
Lizbeth Cruz
Jun 16, 2011 Lizbeth Cruz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
l think that they are oson because they tell scary storesm and they you tell them at the night and you see scary stores you never hured off.abd you see l the cryer and you see a big store about the women with a death screaming for money:)and ther is a store about a voice in the adect ther are to childring in the atect and ther are traying to help.:)and ther is a store about clinkity clink.and that is a store about a pearson clink-clink.:).thert is a store aboust the bed the winbow.these store is ...more
Josiah
Jun 08, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alvin Schwartz has done an excellent job of maintaining the quality of his scary stories in this third volume to the series.
In each of these books, there are some funny stories, some folklore songs, some stories that are just more interesting than truly frightening, but in each book there are also one or two or three tales that really ARE very scary, and make my flesh run cold. In this particular collection, "Harold" and "The Red Spot" give me chills, but it is the haunting "Maybe You Will Rem
Sesana
The truth is that the third and final Scary Stories book isn't quite as good as the first two. But it's still a classic of starter horror, and I still love it through my nostalgia goggles. Again, short, creepy, archetypal stories perfect for sleepovers.

The newest edition has art by Brett Helquist, which is pretty spooky but just makes me appreciate Stephen Gammell's art. Which was nightmare-inducing, surreal, and I loved it all. I guess I'll just have to keep both editions.
Kayla
Apr 24, 2013 Kayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book to my cousin and my sister. They both really enjoyed the book and retold stories to my family. My personal favorite story was "The Bus Stop" I've heard the story told in a variety of different ways, so it was nice to read this version. I was surprised to learn that a similar story was told in ancient Rome. I look forward to reading the rest of the Scary Stories series during the summer on a camping trip.
Melanie
Nov 17, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading these stories. I really liked how there was more than one short story. I thought it was an easy book but I liked being surprised at the end of each story. I also liked the way there were a variety of stories and not just the same. I would recommend this book to any one who likes scary stories.
Victoria Rios
Want a story to chill your bones this would be perfect. Who knows if they are real or fake. But you will have nightmares reading this . I was scared when I read this but if I like it you will too. Scary stories has a twist to it because you will never hear the end to the story . This book is one of the many made. This book is great and I recommend this book to people who like horror.
Sean Torres
Apr 15, 2016 Sean Torres rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is THE BEST SCARY BOOK. i was scared of turning the page and see whats gonna pop up. i got scared a few times and by a few i mean 5 times. I think its a good book to read in the night because u can scare ur siblings, there is parts where it says *yell*.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
These were such fun growing up, especially around Halloween. I remember my friends and I passing books like this and the original around in Elementary school. Fun party games, short stories, fun poetry that makes the kid feel older and into "fun, forbidden" type of stuff.
Kevin Lucia
Dec 19, 2011 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have the first two. Someday will have to grab this one, the third...
Grayson Peterselli
im nine years old i read i didnt sleep for days but it is one of the best books to tell in the dark i love it and is terrified by it enjoy it!!!!!!!!!
Matthew W
May 29, 2009 Matthew W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (and the other books in the "Scary Stories" series) had a huge influence on me as a child. May future generations of children also be influenced by the "Scary Stories" books!!
 Дарья
Feb 23, 2015 Дарья rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these are all right, others are just marvellous. My favourite was always Harold.
Jason
Oct 10, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
and more more scary shit from my boy scouts yrs
Sabine
Dec 02, 2016 Sabine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really scary I was so scared I was afraid to continue reading. This book includes lots of different scary stories that will chill your bones! This book is not only scary, but funny. This book has stories that are said to be true-what do you think? I really enjoyed reading this book because it was funny and of course...scary! If you want to get scared I really recommend you read this book. I think you will love getting scared with these spooky stories. Anyone who loves spooky or sca ...more
Justin
Jun 22, 2017 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just seeing these books make me shiver. For some I was brilliant when I was young and bought Scary Stories 1 through 3 in 4th through 6th grade respectively at the Book Fair held at my school each year. That and those Tadpoles that grew into frogs...but that is a completely different horror story in itself. They weren't the scariest stories ever, but there were a few that creep me out to this day. That along with the shiver inducing illustrations gave me nightmares for years! Brilliant move youn ...more
Sara
May 06, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars

This one was the second best. There were some longer stories, which is nice if you're trying to get your child into chapter books and the like. Overall, I'm glad I decided to read these as an adult. They're still great, and the bibliography and notes in the back are awesome if you want to do a little research on these stories :)
"The Trouble" True? 3 28 Dec 06, 2012 09:56AM
Halloween, horror lovers... 2 18 Dec 06, 2012 09:45AM
  • More Bones
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Nightmares: Tales to Make You Scream
  • Short & Shivery: Thirty Chilling Tales
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • Return of the Mummy (Goosebumps Presents TV Episode, #4)
  • Scary Stories
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • The Scary States of America
  • Bony-Legs
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.
More about Alvin Schwartz...

Scary Stories (3 books)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)