Start by marking “Dexter is Delicious (Dexter, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dexter is Delicious (Dexter, #5)

Dexter is Delicious (Dexter #5)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  13,073 ratings  ·  958 reviews
America’s most-read, most-watched, and most beloved serial killer—Dexter Morgan—is back. After selling more than one million copies and inspiring the wildly popular #1 Showtime series and top-rated crime drama on pay-cable television, New York Times bestselling author Jeff Lindsay returns with his most hilarious, macabre, and purely entertaining novel yet.

Dexter Morgan ha
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published September 7th 2010 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dexter is Delicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dexter is Delicious

Joe Thomas
Don't get me wrong, I still reccomend this book and the Dexter series as a whole is one of my favorite series.

Let's just get down to it shall we? The reason I rate this so low is probably because my expectations were set higher by the previous books. The Dexter in this book is NOT the Dexter I have come to love reading about.

In Dexter is Delicious, new Daddy Dexter is faced with horrors far more gruesome than serial killers and Rapists. No, I am not talking about the coven of cannibals either.
Childfree Chic
Edward Lorn
Apr 08, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller and serial killer fans
Recommended to Edward by: John
Day Five/Book Five of my Dexter Morgan Marathon is now complete. I almost didn't make it, friends and neighbors. I don't know how I'm going to pull off the next two books by Monday morning. Wish me luck...

Anyfuck, here we are, at Book Five, and this is as far as I made it in the series the first time I read through it. I have not read Double Dexter or Dexter's Final Cut, so I am excited to see how terrible they are. I keed, I keed... I'm sure they have the same dark sense of humor and unbelievab
The only book in the Dexter Series I have detested and had to force myself to finish.

Sadly the serial killer I have grown a huge attachment to lost his edge. And began to mirror the characterization of his wife on the television show. I could not stand Dexter the entire novel, his whole idea to fly straight killed me. This was not a further advancement in the character's plotting or personality, no this was something else. I cannot even try to give this a name. Dexter who is normally a smart, c
Robert J. Sullivan
There’s a Venn diagram on the web that shows two circles that almost completely overlap. The first is labeled “Things you shouldn’t laugh at”, the second is labeled “Things I think are funny”, and the intersection is labeled “Reasons I’m going to hell.” Enjoying Dexter probably falls into the third category. If you can put aside your moral qualms about sympathizing with a serial killer, this is fun.

Dexter Morgan is a family man, with a wife, two stepchildren and a new daughter, and a job with th
Albert Riehle
I swore, after reading the last of Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books, that I'd never read one again. I swore the series off. I gave up on Jeff Lindsay. Then I read this book. Now, I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really upset with myself for not listening to myself!

Is it really a spoiler alert when the plot of this book is the EXACT same as the plot of the last book and the one before that and the one before that? The first book in this series is brilliant. It's what inspired the S
Claudette Melanson
I really enjoyed this next installment of the Dexter series. The cannibal storyline was very interesting and went in a different direction from the rest of the other books.

Dexter grows a lot emotionally in this book, and it is very interesting to see how he wrestles with new feeling his has since the birth of his daughter. The writing is quite humorous in several places, as when his sister Debs is behind the wheel,driving like a maniac through Miami traffic. Unlike the show, Dexter's brother, B

What happened to my beloved serial killer. The dark passenger who preys on sick bastards who love to destroy innocent people. Dexter has changed. Maybe it is becoming a husband, step father and a new dad but whatever it is has made him ordinary, boring and indecisive. It destroyed his uniqueness. I want the old Dexter back and at one with his dark passenger! Without the real Dexter, this series turns into just another detective murder mystery novel and that is such a shame.

BTW, what is the matte
Pete Denton
This is the fifth book in the Dexter series.

I always judge a book by whether or not the story stays with me after I’ve finished reading. When I decided to start writing book reviews I made the conscious decision to wait a few days after I’d finished a book to let the story wash over me a little. Some stories you forget about, but this is not one of them. This story just keeps coming back and certain scenes keep popping into my mind. I like it when they do that.

This book’s written in the first pe
My least favorite of the whole series. Issue #1: What happened to the narrator Nick Landrum? He did such a fabulous job bringing Dexter and his world alive that changing the voice, even to the author's, is so jarring. No wonder from that first sentence on, Dexter never seemed to pick up his likability that he had (and Landrum pulled off so well) from the other books...

Issue #2: What happened to the confident and intelligent Dexter that we read about in the other four books? The charm of the who
Tara Moss
You may already be familiar with Dexter, the award-winning TV series about happily homicidal Dexter Morgan — blood splatter expert with Miami PD and secret serial killer of serial killers. The original and improbable premise of a psychopathic serial killer ‘good guy’ works with surprisingly entertaining results. But whether or not you are a fan of the TV series, the novels by Jeff Lindsay are simply not to be missed. This is where you get pure Dexter in first person:

'My conscience is as clean a
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Certainly not my favorite out of the series.
I love the series don't get me wrong. But this one was the least of my favorites.
I felt Dexter was cheated in this book, for some reason I came away from this with that feeling.
Maybe he could have done things better or even worse, in his victims eyes.
Oh well. Can't wait for another. :)
Aug 22, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: twisted souls
Book Info: Genre: Thriller/Police Procedural
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: twisted people
Trigger Warnings: murder, cannibalism

My Thoughts: So, this is the last book in the series that I've read before, and I actually bought a first-edition hardcover of this one, which is very nice of course. I'm very excited now to move on and read the two books I haven't yet read.

Watching Dexter falling hopelessly in love with his daughter was quite a thing. However, seeing Astor and Cody's reaction to Br
Oct 15, 2010 Ryan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hardcore dexter fans only
Dexter is Delicious is more of what Jeff Lindsay gave us in the 4th book. Dexter is no longer the king of his own castle, as everyone pushes him in every direction possible. His new desire to do good for the sake of his newborn daughter, combined with his brother showing up, his sister requiring his presence every ten minutes on her case, and his neglected dark passenger, he just isn't himself any more. When I got through the novel, I really had the sense that I don't care about this character a ...more
Quinta entrega de la Saga de Dexter, de Lindsay Jeff. "Dexter, el Asesino Exquisito"
La historia se inicia con el nacimiento de la niña de nuestro personaje, lo que nos hace conocer un lado de Dexter que lo tenía totalmente oculto hasta el mismo día que la vió por primera vez en la sala de espera de maternidad del hospital.
A más de rescatar (una vez más) el tremendo talento de Jeff Lindsay en la creación de semejante hombre (Dexter, claro) agradezco la "ligera" desfocalización de la historia en e
I don't like the direction this series is going. Dexter has a baby, and is now wanting to decide to stop killing bad guys. The whole point of Dexter is to kill bad guys, and now the series is now just repeating itself with Dexter being put into bad situations by Debra, or other random people. It also annoys me that Rita cannot finish a single thought or sentence; I mean her dialogue, plus the dialogue of many others, is repulsive. Jeff Lindsay needs to get out of this ridiculous cycle of Dexter ...more
Dear darling Dexter,

Distressed, I desired that daddyhood not deprive you of your dark deviation. It's all very diverting for TV-Dexter to have (shudder) feelings, but not for you, dark, depraved book-Dexter! This deviation into devotion was a disturbing digression not desired!

But now, data fully devoured, I deem your detour not dissatisfying, and in fact, delightful. I dined upon it with dedicated dispatch, and was disheartened to reach the denouement, and be denied further developments in the
Richard Wright
What is this now, book five? It's a readable enough book, but Dexter is no longer the splendid beast who first enthralled me. A family man now, he's determined to quash his Dark Passenger, the whisperer in his head who drives him to kill. Without his lethal purpose, he's an aimless, self-absorbed clod, far removed from the clinical killer we took such guilty pleasure in adoring, and much of what made him fresh vanishes. The writing is passable, the plot interesting enough (as Dexter gets drawn i ...more
Dexter Is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay Note: If you have seen the TV show based on this series, then you can probably jump into this book as a stand alone. If you haven’t seen the show or read other books in the series, then I don’t think this would work well as a stand alone novel.
Dexter Morgan, forensics crime scene expert, is a new daddy, his wife having just delivered their daughter Lily Anne. But before Dexter can settle into a daily snuggling, feeding, burping routine, he’s being pulled out o
" I had not seen my brother since that memorable evening several years earlier when we had met, for the first time as adults, in a storage container in Port of Miami, and he had offered me a knife so I could assist him in the vivisection of his chosen playmate."
Dexter has now become a dad to the lovely Lily Anne, an 8 pound miracle child with wife Rita. Curiously his 'dark passenger ' seems to be on vacation and he makes several 'Dexter Daddy' mistakes, putting his family and himself in danger.
As any Dexter fan will know by this point in the series the television series headed in a completely different direction to the books and the birth of his daughter, rather than his son as in the television series, may have a few people doing a double take. Do not let such a thing put you off; the birth of Dexter’s daughter in this book is a real turning point.

Dexter’s life as a serial killer seems questionable now that he is the proud father of a beautiful baby girl. Throughout we see a whole ne
I love a good anti-hero...and Dexter serves it up beautifully. This series is simply written and drops a lot of the polish you will often see in other thrillers. Instead, it replaces it with a certain tongue-in-cheek cheesy quality that gives such a dark series a breath of fresh air.
If you like a thriller then you'll find this is one series that you'll fly through.
It's gripping, it's funny, it's a soap opera all wrapped up in a soft doughy package about a psychotic killer.

Plot ***Spoilers***

I must confess that I have not read this series in order. Most of my knowledge of Dexter comes from the TV series which I enjoy watching. When I found this book at my local library, I did a little happy dance. They finally got the NEW Dexter book. Woo-hoo!

I settled down to read it and was immediately struck by the change in Dexter. Part of the appeal of the previous books (or Dexter 1.0) was that the reader is immersed in the thoughts of a serial killer. The Dark Passenger compels Dexter to kill
By FAR the best book of the series. Jeff Lindsay brought what seems to be a newer approach to his series and it worked. I literally was sucked into the book from the first page all the way until the last. I am really looking forward to his next installment now.
Inevitably at this point all Dexter books must be compared to the TV show and unfortunately the books are really paling in comparison. This book continues the trend of the books in making every character except Dexter extremely unlikeable and extremely stupid. Especially Debra, who doesn't have a single redeeming quality and is constantly the victim of the author's plot induced stupidity which is epic in the annals of plot induced stupidity. Dexter himself is even becoming a victim of PIS. Books ...more
Now, I've heard the Dexter series took a nosedive after the first book or two, and this #5 is a good example of that. I love one of the other reviews who says "this should be entitled BABIES RUIN EVERYTHING."

Frankly, my first impression at reading about Dexter watching his new baby daughter through the hospital's glass at the nursery was right on: Boring.

Not that I dislike babies or children, at all. It's just that reading about them is neither dramatic nor interesting. Reading about how a new
I'm not a huge fan of the Dexter books, I'm sorry to say. The predominant reason is Lindsay's writing. He's not a bad writer, but it's rather plain and bland. This could be because Dexter's personality, sociopathy aside, is rather plain and bland. If I were to meet Dexter and he decided not to kill me, I wouldn't be running to be his BFF. He's a tad boring. However, I also find the Dexter series to be ever so slightly ridiculous. There are the fantasy elements, and there's also the fact that Dex ...more
Jon Scott
I confess. I came to this book through the television series. I don't know why I chose this particular book to read, but as a reader, I was curious to read at least one of the books to get the literary flavor of the character and to judge Dexter on its literary merits. I am of the belief that the book is always better, but I'm not a big book series reader.
Delicious started off well with a strong narrative voice and mordant observations of nascent fatherhood. But as I continued to read, the plot
Shiloh (Fantastic Reading)
In Dexter is Delicious, there is a definite sense that Lindsay has hit his stride with the character and the tone. After a shaky couple of books, this one shines in plot, characterization, and prose.

While the tone and style of this book is very similar to the previous books, the writing itself is higher quality, more polished, and funnier than the others. Dexter's odd sense of humor dominates the book, even when he's in the most sticky situation he's found himself in to date. I laughed out loud
I have been a fan of Dexter since the first season came out, but I have never read any of the books. SO when I first started on goodreads I noticed this as a first-reads giveaway. Well, I was fortunate enough to win my first Dexter book.

I am always one to say the book was better than the movie but in this case... I prefer the television version of Dexter. I have not read any of the other books and those my change my mind but right now I was not impressed. The first two thirds of this book seeme
  • The Psychology of Dexter
  • Clandestine
  • As Dog is My Witness (Aaron Tucker Mystery #3)
  • The Astronaut's Wife
  • The Vaults
  • The Rip-Off
  • Close to the Bone
  • Every Last Drop (Joe Pitt, #4)
  • Sweetheart (Gretchen Lowell, #2)
  • Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Noir
  • Johnny Mnemonic
  • Mr. Monster (John Cleaver, #2)
  • Tishomingo Blues
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
Jeff Lindsay is the pen name of an American crime writer, Jeffry P. Freundlich, who lives in Cape Coral, Florida with his wife, author Hilary Hemingway, daughter of Leicester Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway's brother.

Lindsay is best known for writing the Dexter series of novels. Many of his earlier published works include his wife as a co-author. Time Blender was written with Michael Dorn. He graduat
More about Jeff Lindsay...

Dexter (8 books)
  • Darkly Dreaming Dexter (Dexter, #1)
  • Dearly Devoted Dexter (Dexter, #2)
  • Dexter in the Dark (Dexter, #3)
  • Dexter By Design (Dexter, #4)
  • Double Dexter (Dexter, #6)
  • Dexter's Final Cut (Dexter, #7)
  • Dexter Is Dead (Dexter, #8)

“Have you noticed how difficult it is just to get along in the world? If you're no good at all in your job, people treat you badly and eventually you will be unemployed. And if you're a little better than competent, everyone expects miracles from you, every single time. Like most of life, it's a no-win situation. And if you dare to mention it, no matter how creatively you phrase your complaints, you are shunned as a whiner.” 61 likes
“No big deal. We all have blood in us, the trick is keeping it inside.” 30 likes