Start by marking “Souls on Fire” as Want to Read:
Souls on Fire
Preview

Souls on Fire

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In Souls on Fire: Portraits and Legends of Hasidic Masters, Elie Wiesel reenters, like an impassioned pilgrim, the universe of Hasidism. "When I am asked about my Jewish affiliation, I define myself as a Hasid, " writes the author. "Hasid I was, Hasid I remain." Yet Souls on Fire is not a simple chronological history of Hasidism, nor is it a comprehensive book on its subje ...more
Published October 6th 1982 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Souls on Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Souls on Fire

Anne Hamilton
For over ten years, I've absolutely loved Charles Osborne's Souls on Fire, an orchestral rendering of this book. It's splendid, glorious, inspiring.

However, in finally getting around to reading the book which had been the spark behind Osborne's symphonic song suite, I find myself curiously disappointed. Maybe I set myself up for it: there are many gold nuggets here but the song is missing.

In other circumstances, I might have rated it much higher... but in the end, it seemed fragmented. It held o
Chris
If, as I did, you expect this to be a scholarly work of carefully researched historical accuracy, you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you pay attention to the title (portraits and legends), you will get exactly what you are expecting. I should have known, from reading earlier Wiesel, that this would be more along the lines of 'Sages and Dreamers' (and even includes some of the same stories). There are many ways to tell truth, and this is truth as much as anything, it just wasn't what I ...more
Jane
I asked a friend for a good book on the history of the Hasiidic movement, and he gave me this. What a gem. Wiesel writes
with a magical blend of poetry and scholarship, but above all, he writes with his heart.
Jonathan Meola

Just re-read this over Shabbat - This book is a compilation of lectures by Prof. Elie Wiesel on the beginnings of modern Chassidism in Central and Eastern Europe starting in the mid 1700's.

Prof. Wiesel starts with the legendary founder, Rebbe Israel Baal Shem Tov, whose whole existence is cloaked in mystery - and progresses through his students to the 2nd and 3rd generations of rebbes and chassids, including such luminaries as Rebbe Nachman of Breslev and Rebbe Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev.

Greg
This is a truly inspirational book. It is a rough chronology of the hasidic movement in Judaism built around vignettes of the lives and tales of the hasidic masters. The one disappointment is that is mentions several times in the context of other masters but never profiles Schneur Zalman of Liadi, the founder of Chabad.

The tales of Nahman of Bratslav were covered extensively, as were the lives of several compelling figures such as Menachem Mendel of Vitebsk and Levi-Yitzhak of Berditchev.
Jacob Lloyd
Elie Wiesel's telling of the lives and tales of the Hasidic masters is at turns beautiful and unsettling, humorous and poignant. The lives and tales themselves call to mind the sayings and stories of the Christian Desert fathers. Wiesel's own voice, and his largely implicit foregrounding of the tales against the backdrop of a post-Auschwitz world, add a modern literary layer to these essentially spiritual tales.
Sacha
Would have been helpful to read the afterward first. It took me a bit to get my bearings in the book. Then it was an interesting and enjoyable read. I can see why some say it gets repetitive by the end, but I didn't mind that.
Sharon Porter-Moxley
Elie Wiesel survived the Holocaust and later wrote about the horrors of Auschwitz and Buchenwald. In Souls on Fire he continues to explore the Jewish past with passion and poetic prose.
Kressel Housman
Elie Wiesel is a great humanitarian, but this book was so disjointed, I had to give up in the middle. My husband says it's not an accurate history of Chassidus either.
David Amsel
Smooth and surprisingly linear for a book on Jewish Mysticism. Great personal stories from Elie about his family and personal struggles with the legends.
This book has affected me more deeply than any other I can think of.
Andy Fraenkel
Beautifully captures the early Hassidic masters and the stories they told.
Rachel Holmberg
Rachel Holmberg marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Jean-claude Klein
Jean-claude Klein marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Lou Bader
Lou Bader marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Emman
Emman added it
Apr 10, 2015
Yeuksze Tam
Yeuksze Tam marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nonna
Nonna marked it as to-read
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
  • Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse On The Essence Of Jewish Existence And Belief
  • The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man
  • Back to the Sources
  • Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah
  • Biblical Literacy: The Most Important People, Events, and Ideas of the Hebrew Bible
  • Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • This is My God: A Guidebook to Judaism
  • God Is a Verb
  • The Jew in the Lotus
Eliezer Wiesel is a Romania-born American novelist, political activist, and Holocaust survivor of Hungarian Jewish descent. He is the author of over 40 books, the best known of which is Night, a memoir that describes his experiences during the Holocaust and his imprisonment in several concentration camps.

Wiesel was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. The Norwegian Nobel Committee called him a "
More about Elie Wiesel...
Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) Day (The Night Trilogy, #3) The Night Trilogy: Night/Dawn/The Accident Open Heart

“I am much more afraid of my good deeds that please me than of my bad deeds that repel me.” 15 likes