Start by marking “Avalon Revisited” as Want to Read:
Avalon Revisited

Avalon Revisited

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  327 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Arthur has made his existence as a vampire bearable for over three hundred years by immersing himself in blood and debauchery. Aboard an airship gala, he meets Avalon, an aspiring vampire slayer who sparks fire into Arthur’s shriveled heart. Together they try to solve the mystery of several horrendous murders on the dark streets of London. Cultures clash and pressures rise ...more
Published March 25th 2010 by Blue Moose Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Avalon Revisited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avalon Revisited

Angelfall by Susan EeThe Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsSwitched by Amanda HockingThe Nightlife by Travis Luedke
Best Unknown but must be Known books
52nd out of 6,221 books — 5,528 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail Carriger
Steampunk/Romance
89th out of 287 books — 833 voters

More lists with this book...

Grace
Aug 08, 2010 Grace rated it did not like it
If you like smut, this'll be for you.

It's set in Victorian England, but anachronisms slide through too often to be convincing. The main character... Well, he annoyed the hell out of me, piping up every few seconds with a lascivious thought. Nothing feels particularly original here, and there are certainly places where I wish an editor had acted freely with the red pen.

If bustles and sex were what attracted you to Gail Carriger's "Parasol Protectorate", then you might be interested in Avalon. Bu
Nobilis Reed
Aug 24, 2011 Nobilis Reed rated it really liked it
The good:

The author went out on a huge limb with the main character in chapter one. It was a bold move, but it paid off in the end. If Arthur had not been so cheeky and engaging, I definitely wouldn't have finished the book.

The plot was well-constructed, with plenty of little twists and turns. The romantic subplot ran very nicely alongside the action subplot, a trick that many authors have problems connecting.

The bad:
The setting is billed as steampunk but the steampunk elements don't really fit
Lisa Richards
Jan 20, 2011 Lisa Richards rated it really liked it
This was a book I wasn’t real sure how to classify-Paranormal Romance?, Historical Fiction?, Steampunk?, Mystery?, Suspense?- but it didn’t really matter as it was a jewel. It’s the first O M Grey book I’d read and I immediately set out to get more as this was a totally fascinating read.
It was told from Arthur’s (Henry VII’s brother) point of view. He’s living (dead) the good life 300 years later in Victorian England when he meets a woman that reminds him of his first love Catherine. Well she’
Tom Russell
May 23, 2011 Tom Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first actual nook purchase! I had been looking forward to reading this book ever since I started following Ms. Grey on twitter. She did not disappoint.

Thank you, Ms. Grey, for giving us a vampire with some real teeth, who's comfortable with his condition and at the same time not a maniacal beast. I, for one, have had enough of angst ridden, remorse laden, drama queen vampires.

My favorite line from the book has to be:
The Myths were quite varied. Some were completely rediculous, like the ide
AM
Apr 18, 2010 AM rated it really liked it
Avalon Revisited is a delightful farce! The whole time I was reading it, I couldn't help but share bits with whomever was with in earshot. The only fault I could find in this preposterous comedy was that of a zipper, and I'm not even sure you could call it a fault -- I just didn't think they came into common use until after 1920 (though there are whispers of it as far back as 1851). The best I can figure the book is set somewhere around 1852. Doesn't matter, I laughed my head off at during that ...more
C
May 12, 2011 C rated it did not like it
Starla Huchton
May 23, 2011 Starla Huchton rated it liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I've been holding off writing a review of this book. I've gotten to a point where romance novels make me want to throw things and punch people, so I didn't want to give this book a bad review based on genre hate.

This book was well written. I want to make that clear. Any negativity I feel towards RomNovs aside, the prose here was well done and it's a good stand alone novel. While there could conceivably be a sequel, there's a sense of closure at the end, and there isn't a yearn for more. I wasn'
Julie
Apr 17, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vampire and steampunk fans
Recommended to Julie by: O.M. Grey
Enjoyable (if explicit/racy) romp through Victorian London with 350-year-old vampire Arthur Tudor (yes, that one) as he flirts, falls in love, and unravels evil steampunk-mad-scientist vampire-werewolf-hybrid plot.

The writing's quite smooth although this e-book version needed a proofreader in the WORST way... I really liked the idea of Arthur Tudor as a vampire, and everything moved along nicely. The one big drawback for me was that I didn't see why it needed to have such explicit sex scenes. Ah
Bill
Apr 16, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avalon Revisited has strong paranormal and romance elements with a dash of Steampunk thrown in for good measure. Set in Victorian England, it tells the story of a 300-year old vampire and the woman who captures his fancy, touching his cold, dead heart after centuries of ennui. The bad news for him? She's also a vampire hunter on the trail of several recent, mysterious murders. Our hero had nothing to do with those - or did he?

The book is well paced, has a few solid action scenes, and some rathe
J.M. Guillemette
May 15, 2010 J.M. Guillemette rated it it was amazing
Fans of Gail Carriger will LOVE Avalon Revisited. Steamy scenes, plot twists, intriguing characters, and of course fabulous gadgets and a most impressive airship make for a phenomenal Steampunk adventure! Gray weaves English History, Arthurian Legend, Victorian culture and Supernatural beings into an incredible tale that covers romance, deception, bustles, brass fittings and intrigue. This is especially great for those who need a break from complaining Vampires who lament their monsterhood on a ...more
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
So, I admit that I only read the free sample that was available from Amazon, which is why I'm refraining from rating it (at least for now).

That said, that short sample was enough to tell me this wasn't for me. Not just because it opened with the smut, which isn't my thing, but, mostly, because the protagonist seems remarkably unlikable (which reviews suggest doesn't really change), and the anachronisms and Americanisms strewn throughout the writing were painful.

And that was just the first 2-3 c
Joy
Sep 05, 2010 Joy rated it did not like it
I liked Soulless by Gail Carriger and based on some Amazon reviews I thought this would be a similar paranormal, steampunk, romance. Well, the only good things I can say about this poorly conceived and written tripe are: 1. I got it cheap for my Kindle, and 2. I managed to finish the book. It may appeal to paranormal romance readers, but it didn't work for me.
Yasmin
Sep 07, 2011 Yasmin rated it liked it
The characterization of Arthur Tudor is a delight. He's confident, a little brash, and has quite the sense of humor. However, the author forgot every other character in the book because they're definitely underdeveloped. Still, it's an entertaining read if you enjoy light and easy reading of the supernatural variety.
Ral
Jan 27, 2012 Ral rated it did not like it
This book was so poorly written it made my head hurt to read. The vampire in it was one of the most unsexy vampires I have ever read. Please author get your self a editor.
Leanna Hieber
Dec 16, 2010 Leanna Hieber rated it it was amazing
It's refreshingly original to have a tale told from a point of view such as Arthur's, a brave choice. This is a sensual, thoroughly engaging read.
Aria
May 11, 2010 Aria rated it really liked it
I've gushed enough about this one on my blog...and a little on other people's (or, people) blog! Lurve it...
Alicia
Aug 12, 2014 Alicia rated it really liked it
First review got lost. Second time's the charm?

So, I really enjoyed Avalon Revisited. I don't think I've used the highlight feature in my Kindle so much, actually.

This is paranormal steampunk romance narrated by a 350 year old sarcastic, witty, and completely dandified vampire. Have you ever read a regency romance narrated by a guy? How about by a Dandy? Yeah me either. Until now.

Arthur's view on British aristocracy and day-to-day Victorian life is nothing short of hysterical. This whole story
Maxwell
Jan 19, 2011 Maxwell rated it it was amazing
Avalon Revisited, by O.M. Grey, is a wonderfully rich romp through (steampunk) Victorian London. The reader is immediately caught up in the drama and intrigue that is the nobility, but wait, Lord York is a vampire, and there's been a murder, several murders, and the culprit appears to be... A Vampire! What is a rapscallion like Arthur York to do? This will certainly curtail his social life. And just when he's found his true love. But she turns out to be a vampire hunter. Is there no end to diffi ...more
Mandi Schreiner
May 25, 2010 Mandi Schreiner rated it liked it
Why I read: Review request from publisher

Favorite Quote: Remember Arthur, I rebuked myself. Remember what it’s like to be human. As if I could after so long, but I faked it well enough.

Arthur is a 350 year old Vampire, although he looks like a teenager living in the heart of the English ton. When he was mortal, he was the brother of King Henry VIII, and lover of Catherine, before he died and she became Queen. Arthur is still bitter over Catherine, and refuses to believe in love. He spends his d
Rayven
Dec 26, 2011 Rayven rated it really liked it
O.M. Grey’s “Avalon Revisited” a Steampunk paranormal adventure pulls no punches and grabbed my attention from the very first page. This book lives up to the author’s description of “Blood and debauchery”. True to the Steampunk genre this book is filled with gadgets, weapons and Creatures of the night.

The novel follows “Arthur York” a member of the Victorian elite, who has a dark secret. He just happens to be over three hundred years old and a vampire. Charming and arrogant Arthur revels in his
Adrienne Crezo
Sep 07, 2010 Adrienne Crezo rated it really liked it
Pretend for a moment that I do not love vampire novels (despite my well-documented and near-fanatical love for Anne Rice) and that steampunk is uninteresting to me (despite having read Bitter Seeds and The Dream of Perpetual Motion with unbridled fascination). Now read a brief description of Avalon Revisited from author O.M. Grey’s website:

Amber
Nov 13, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
Avalon Revisited is a fun paranormal steampunk romance. It takes place in Victorian England. The reader first meets Arthur, a womanizing vampire, who is about three hundred and fifty years old. He is charming, wealthy, extremely horny, and lusting for blood. What a combination!

Arthur, with his age and strength, hardly ever has to kill to satisfy himself. Normally, he takes a little and then wipes the victim’s memory of the incident. But when the reader is acquainted with him, it has been awhile
Melissa Hayden
Arthur was to be King, before he was changed. Now he watches from the shadows loving different woman for a night or so as years pass by. Three hundred and fifty plus years and he meets the woman on a steam air ship gala that resembles his long lost love. Inserting himself in her investigation for a vampire on a murdering spree Arthur falls in love with the woman she is. And the mystery murders...might be something he should focus on as the victims seem to be affiliated with him, and are now turn ...more
Candace
May 15, 2010 Candace rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read this book since I heard of its release and I was finally able to yesterday. It's a nice quick read, but yet not TOO quick. I love how it was put together and how the steampunk aspect came into play. Lots of mention of gadgets and a nice little ride on an airship (my first!) made this one unique to me. I'm a huge paranormal freak so the combination of two of my favorite things came together perfectly.
I really wasn't expecting this one to be so good. I expected more mistakes or a
Kim
Feb 13, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Nia
Having read and loved Gail Carrigers "Parasol Protectorate" books, I was happy, when I came across this book: vampires, steampunk, mystery and romance. Just the mixture I was looking for.

Having read the book, I'm a bit torn. On one hand, it was really fun. Arthur was a vampire hero just after my fancy. Arthur seems quite comfortable with being a vampire, and he doesn't seem to have regrets, scruples or high moral standards. He seduces women, he drinks their blood, and sometimes it happens that h
Jeannie Mancini
Sep 24, 2010 Jeannie Mancini rated it it was ok
Pretty sappy stuff here. Melodramatic, unlikeable characters, ho-hum plot. I was very disappointed in this so called "steampunk" novel. Other than one brief appearance of an airship, there is no steampunk ingredients to be had. Felt misled by the blurb touting a steampunk romance. The main character of Arthur the vampire is really sort of a ridiculous arrogant Victorian popinjay who is callous and selfish until he falls in love with Avalon the vampire slayer, but even after they meet and team up ...more
Meredith
Jan 27, 2013 Meredith rated it really liked it
I picked up this up because it combines several of my favorite things: vampires, Victoriana, and steampunk, but it has surpassed my expectations entirely!

This is a delightful little book with a cheekily enjoyable vampire protagonist. His point of view feels modern and detached, so his commentary on the Steampunk Victorian London that surrounds him is priceless. Add to this that he's a rake and seducer, and you begin to get a feel for Arthur York.

The novel offers many fabulously enjoyable element
Shellby
I finished the book which apparently is all that I can say about it. Now I'm not too mad that I got this book, because I obtained it for free thanks to Amazon lovely freebie Kindle book days. That's about the best thing I can say. I thought it was going to be some steamy vampire romance (with a historical flair). However, all I got was some whiny vampire, tepid at best action sequences, and horrible dialouge. Well at least I finished it.
BrinStardust
Super addicting page turner! Sexy, funny, and yet still manages to pull at your heart strings. Looking forward to reading more from Grey, she has an imagination that's real and all her own. I loved the fact that the main character is a historical figure, it made it that much more intriguing. Also, I must say, I'm so glad Arthur was cool with his existence and not a whiner, he decided to be clever, instead!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 23, 2015 10:35AM
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • New Blood (Blood Magic, #1)
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Steamside Chronicles
  • Like Clockwork
  • Carnal Machines
  • Island of Icarus
  • Miss Bramble and the Leviathan
  • New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1)
  • Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)
  • Flaming London
  • The 19 Dragons
  • The Horns of Ruin
  • Lady Doctor Wyre (A Jane Austen Space Opera, #1)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • The Women of Nell Gwynne's
Nestled in the mountains of California, Olivia M. Grey lives in the cobwebbed corners of her mind writing paranormal romance with a Steampunk twist. As a writer, podcaster, and speaker, Olivia focuses her poetry and prose on alternative lifestyles and deliciously dark matters of the heart. Her work has been published in anthologies and magazines like Stories in the Ether, SNM Horror Magazineand Ho ...more
More about O.M. Grey...

“I say,” he said. “What’s all this?” A man of fine breeding. Condescending even after death.” 0 likes