Start by marking “The Masonic Myth” as Want to Read:
The Masonic Myth

The Masonic Myth

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The Truth Revealed

Freemasons have been connected to the all-seeing eye on the dollar bill, the French Revolution, the Knights Templar, and the pyramids of Egypt. They have been rumored to be everything from a cabal of elite power brokers ruling the world to a covert network of occultists and pagans intent on creating a new world order, to a millennia-old brotherhood perpet...more
Published September 8th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Masonic Myth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Masonic Myth

Phil
Dec 30, 2010 Phil rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in freemasonry
If you're a mason, this is the book to give your friends who ask you what freemasonry is. Well-informed and written with sufficient detachment to inspire confidence, the tone is neither reverential nor apologetic, and makes needed criticism of the institution where it's deserved.

Familiar anti-masonic claims are debunked efficiently, placing their origins in historical context.
Tyler Anderson
I think I enjoyed the second two thirds of this book a lot more than the first third. Kinney falls squarely in the "Masonry developed from operative Stonemasons" camp, which I always find frustrating for its facility and lack of considerations. He dismisses Robinson and other "alternative" historians, but doesn't really give ANY basis for that, offers no particular scholarship to underpin his position. He chooses not to underpin the received position with any of the research that has been done,...more
Larry
Since the founding of the premier grand lodge in 1717 London, books, pamphlets, exposures, and articles have been written about the Freemasons. They have been vilified and praised, and wherever a conspiracy theory is born, there's a Freemason in it somewhere. A whole cottage industry of alternate history began with the publication ofHOLY BLOOD, HOLY GRAIL in the 1980s, and continues today with Dan Brown's popular novels breaking records. many accounts, much confusion.

Jay Kinney's book, THE MASON...more
Bridget

We've all heard about secret societies and their rituals. THE MASONIC MYTH takes you on a journey that allows you to understand the Freemasons. Find out the reasons behind certain symbols and rituals that have been concealed for hundreds of years.

I'm always up for a good conspiracy theory or secret society book, so when I was given the option to review this book, I just had to get my hands on it. I was not disappointed! This book opened my eyes wider than I thought possible.
Ryan
An overview of the history and symbolism of Freemasonry. Kinney favors the historical-critical view of the origins of Freemasonry, while still recognizing the relationship of the Craft to earlier societies. Kinney’s greatest contribution in this book is the last chapter discussion on the future of Freemasonry and the emphasis on the formal and spiritual nature of the Craft, rather than the social or philanthropic aspects to which Masonry is now turning.
Steven
Hans
Had some good ideas about the psychology and importance of rites of passage and initiations and how Freemasonry is one of the only groups that still does them. He also believes the future of freemasonry might be smaller and more concentrated groups of masons that care about the philosophical and esoterical side of masonry. He does touch on the history of masonry but nothing I haven't heard or read before.
Jim
Mixed feelings about this book. It reads like a long magazine article. The author offers his opinions on many aspects of masonry. Well, every one has an opinion and now we've heard his. Frankly, I was expecting more from someone of this writer's background.
Gsmattingly
Enjoyable non-fiction. Covers various and sundry myths related to the origins, history and power of Masons but also what is real. Has descriptions of levels, various side Masonic groups and much more.
Michael Hughes
A superb history that dispels a lot of myths. Recommended to anyone with an interest in the Craft and especially to those contemplated joining.
Sharman Wilson
I enjoyed reading about the Masons. I've always been curious about them, and this book seemed like a very fair portrayal.
Bretton
Fantastic book. Written for the Mason (or someone who is very interested in the subject).
Jesse
Summary: masonry is like boy scouts for grown ups.
David
Interesting read into the history of Freemasonry.
Stan
not much answers alot of fluff
Lourenço Oliveira
Lourenço Oliveira marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Adalis
Adalis marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Shelby Jones
Shelby Jones marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Luke
Luke added it
Jul 24, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
David Meek
David Meek marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Mapuor .a.
Mapuor .a. marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Inner West Anarchy Comics: The Complete Collection Anarchy Comics #1 Anarchy Comics #2 Anarchy Comics #4