Start by marking “The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
Preview

The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  540 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Hylas is a young Greek slave in the household of Caius Pomponius, a Roman Senator involved in political schemes. When the senator is found mysteriously murdered, the household slaves (including Hylas and his mother) fall under suspicion. Hylas escapes capture long enough to enlist the aid of a young tribune, Camillus Rufus. The desperate attempt to unravel the threads of t ...more
Published May 1st 1999 by Bethlehem Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Ides of April, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ides of April

Kyle Publius
The Ides of April, by Mary Ray, is a very suspenseful and exiting book based on Roman history. In this book there is a smart, young, witty slave named Hylas who is able to escape from his master’s house after an unknown man murders his master. When a master is murdered in ancient Rome, it means death for all of his slaves. While Hylas is trying to survive, he is also trying to find the real killer so all of the slaves, including his mother, can escape from jail. He enlists the help of a powerful ...more
Antron Brown
A murder took place and Hylas was force to flee from home where he was a slave. His family were taken captive accused of the murder and him and his friends go on a mission to find the real murderer to get his family back. This was a fun book to read. I learned a lot about life in the roman empire. It did seem like the author just wanted to add some unnecessary parts into the book to make it longer. I wasn't all into the book at first in the beginning but some part drag me in. It was the parts wh ...more
Pam Nordwall
Good slice of History for young adults or younger readers, I enjoyed the suspense and intrigue. Felt a few things could have been explain in more detail about the “circus”. I do prefer a more detailed depiction and illustration of the activities of historical cultures. The living places that were described in detail were explained well and gave a clearer image of life in those times.
Macy
Much better than I thought it would be, makes me feel like I am living in the time period. Sometimes there is a little too much detail and the book is a little dated, but I would still recommend it.
Anna
I read this book for school. Overall, I thought it was a pretty well though-out novel. I wish that Ms. Ray would have stuck with one point of view for the whole story - or at least for whole chapters or sections - instead of jumping around, but it still worked.

I also wished that some of the characters - like Blandina, Decianus, and Dominia Faustina were explored a little more.

But overall, a decent read.

3.5/5
Kiersten
This was a fun read. The book does a decent job of painting Roman life and the story is a page-turner. A friend didn't like the writing style, and indeed, there were parts when I had to stop and figure out what was happening. I would have appreciated more description. The character list at the front of the book was very helpful and I referred to it more than once as I was getting familiar with all the names.
Ciera
I learned a whole bunch about life in the Roman Empire under Nero. When a murder takes place, young Hylas is forced to flee from his home where he was a slave. When his family and friends are taken captive, accused of the murder, he and his friends embark on a dangerous mission to find the real murderer and set his family free.
Kara
Set in A.D. 62, this book tells the story of a young slave of a senator and a tribune who are together attempting to solve the murder of the senator in order to save all the household slaves, who will otherwise be executed for the crime. The mystery element was good, but I found the book to be a little bit on the dry side.
Caitlin
In ancient Rome, a greek slave, and a Roman tribune attempt to solve a senator's murder in order to save the household slaves, who will otherwise be executed for the crime. Although I thought The Ides of April had a good mystery, I found the overall story to be a bit on the dry side.
Kristine Pratt
An exciting tale of mystery in ancient Rome. Hylas the slave flees the site of a murder - but returns to save his fallow slaves. His only hope - a nobleman whose life he saved.

This was a story that kept us interested from the first page. Well-written and a very different look at Rome.
Elzbeth
Hylus's master is killed and the household slaves, himself included, are under suspicion and imprisoned. Hylus manages to escape imprisonment and goes to an influential man who owes Hylus his life. Before the other slaves are killed, Hylus and Camilus must find the real killer.
Margaret Metz
We used this as part of our homeschool program. I love to supplement our history with historical fiction. Bethlehem Books has some particularly good books to choose from. The stories are interesting and they make for great conversations around the dinner table.
In the Ides of April, the servants of Aulus are falsely accused of murdering their master and are to be executed. Only Hylas escapes to an apartment nearby where he meets a Christian man who helps him to find evidence to release his mother and friends.
Mary Ann
Next book for Tara's schooling.

I had to force myself through this one. It wasn't bad, but I lost track of the characters from the beginning and it wasn't written in a compelling style. The story had potential, which it didn't really fulfil.
Trish
Surprisingly good historical fiction. I think 6th grade through high school would enjoy this book and learn some things about the time of Nero. Reviewed for Logos Library.
Kendra Fletcher
History Year One (Ancients). Good, fast-paced book that all three girls enjoyed. Excellent historical fiction for YA.
Dave
Reading this one to Clara. A murder mystery set in Rome in 62 A.D. It has potential.
Skye
Another homeschooling book. Okay mystery that takes place in ancient Rome.
Karen
Good historical fiction. I just had a hard time following it.
Sara floerke
Another Roman era book. Mystery. Pretty quick read. Twas ok
Tessa
It's been years since I read this, but I remember really enjoying it.
Katelyn
This book was great, but was ometimes hard to follow.
Brenna
It was a good story but it was long and boring.
Ally
  • In Search of Honor
  • Tirzah
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • Flame Over Tara
  • The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn (Samurai Detective, #1)
  • The Iron Peacock
Born to a teacher and his wife, Ray enjoyed learning about the ancient history of Greece, Rome, and Britain. While working at a variety of jobs and gaining a wealth of education, Ray also traveled widely. This travel enabled her to give extra life through realistic details to her books.

An author of fourteen books and three plays, Ray's writing style often seemed stilted and formal. Thus, she ofte
More about Mary Ray...

Roman Empire Sequence (4 books)
  • A Tent for the Sun (Roman Empire Sequence, #1)
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • Rain from the West (Roman Empire Sequence, #5)
Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4) Spring Tide Dog Tricks A Tent for the Sun (Roman Empire Sequence, #1) Shout Against the Wind